EXERCISE Picture challenge #14: Different worlds

Discussion in 'REFINING WRITING' started by redblood, Mar 15, 2015.

1. INFO: They say that a picture can tell a thousand words. How many can you find?

Each week a new image will be posted, and your challenge will be to write whatever the image inspires you to write. It can be anything as long as it relates to the picture. A plot, a scene, a short story, a poem, a character, etc. You can write as much or as little as you wish. It's not the length that matters, it's what you put into it. There is no time limit to these challenges, so feel free to jump in at any time.

2. It was simply a glance at first, a shy curiosity both creatures had towards the other strange, new life they'd found. Aware of the warnings and myths surrounding the other, they were torn between fear and a need to study closer. Both caved in though, to their childish wonder, creeping ever closer to the weak boundary of the water's surface that separated them from one another. Upon nearing it both creatures stilled, taking the other in with thirst and a need to remember.

In his eyes, she was more gorgeous than the tales did justice or even tried to mention. Pale blue skin and hair gently waving in a current only the strands gave away, she was beautiful from the tips of pointed ears down to the tentacles that spread from her where he had legs. Truly he was raised to believe the creatures of water were of sharp tooth and lethal sting with beady eyes and cold glares, yet she seemed so gentle and equally as shy and scared as he. She seemed almost exactly like him. She certainly was not the monstrous creature he grew up imagining...

She was surprised as well. All her life she was told the creatures of land only wished to hunt that of water's life for food and prize, and yet he simply gave her a gentle look of curiosity as he hovered only inches above the edge of her home. From here she admired the scruff of his face and the sharpness of his jaw, more defined than any men she'd seen in her underwater home. He even wore a band of gold around his head, matching her own decoration. He was indeed something she found pleasant to look at, but soon this was not even enough to feed her hungering curiosity.

Both looked shocked as her hand broke the surface, for the first time having air on her skin as she reached out to him above her. Gently, ever so gently her hand found the rough surface of his scruffy cheek, but the man leaned into it enough to assure her the contact was not unwelcome. They froze in this position too, and with her hand on his cheek and a new awareness, the two silently contemplated what action was to come next...
    • Love Love x 1
  3. "Take what you can, my love, and flee!"

Her people were dying, dying from the clan that denied them freedom and sustenance for their own selfish gain. Maia waited by the water where she was born, her legs aching from the spell used to travel on land. She waited, an waited, and waited some more for the one who would help her. Finally, he emerged. Her one true love, an octopus kin that carried a sack of precious gems and golden trinkets with him for today. He set the sack down and looked into her eyes.

"Must I go? I can stay-" He shook his head and cupped her face.

"No, you must flee, my love," he said in a deep gravelly voice, "Take these with you. It will help you on your journey on land. Have you your things?" She nodded, face saddened but tears long gone after so much suffering within her clan.

"Shh, it'll be alright my love," he murmured, heaving himself up to give her a kiss, "Now go, quickly! Before my father sends his guards!" The prince then sank back into the ocean. Maia watched sadly for a few more moments before taking the sack and her belongings, running away from the place she used to call home, her ocean.
    Short piece is short, but idc. The picture made me wonder what would happen if the girl was trying to flee somewhere, so this was born. Hope you enjoy!​
    • Like Like x 1