Phoenix Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing how agitated the hunter had gotten, Failen became tense, listening to the sounds of the forest. They were still close to hunter territory, so any creature living in the forest would stay away if they could manage it.

"Could it be a wood nymph?" he asked softly, coming closer to the hunter. Nymphs were less afraid of hunters, as they weren't being hunted into extinction like many other races, so they ventured closer to the hunter territory, standing watch over their trees and lakes. Failen thought the nymphs of the forest were a stupid lot.

Still, they could be dangerous if provoked, so he was on guard, his bare feet curling into the ground.

Just as Failen got closer to Clyde, a soft rustling sound could be heard coming from the bushes several meters before them. The rustling sounded soft at first but grew louder and louder. Suddenly the bushes shook violently and a small tree-like creature, about two feet tall, popped out of the bushes and was running towards the duo.
“Well this is interesting.” Clyde said nonchalantly as he watched the creature running towards them. His ears then twitched as he heard a familiar sound.

“W-wait!” A voice called out from the bushes where the little wood nymph had popped out from.
“I told you it wouldn't work!” Another voice called out from the same direction. Clyde let out a sigh and watched the wood nymph run past him and Failen. A few seconds later, two men, popped out of the bushes, looking tired and out of breath.

“I told you...we shouldn't have scared it!” A slightly chubby middle aged man with near white blond hair scolded the other man beside him.
“Look...” The other man, also about the same age but with a slender build and sandy blonde hair retorted, “...we wouldn't be running if your trap worked!”

While the two men were exchanging glares and debate on who’s fault it was, Clyde shook his head and called out to them.
“Still hunting wood nymphs, Merlak, Jase?”
The two arguing men stopped and turned to face Clyde. Their faces were of shock at first but then broke into a smile.
“Clyde! What are you doing out here in the vast lands?” Merlak asked surprised.
“Yeah weren't you looking for someone?” Jase continued.
“Yeah, I still am, but I’m helping out somebody at the moment.” Clyde said as he gestured his thumb back to Failen.

“Oh, who’s he? A new friend of yours?” Merlak asked as both he and Jase started to walk towards Clyde and Failen.
“Not really. He’s a phoenix.” Clyde replied nonchalantly.
Merlak and Jase stopped in their tracks for a moment and looked at Failen’s hooded figure. They exchanged glances with each other before bursting out into laughter.
“Ha ha, yeah a phoenix!” Merlak chuckled.
“What sane phoenix would be walking around with a hunter?” Jase laughed, tears forming in his eyes.
“True that.” Clyde let out a soft chuckle, his face then turned serious as he asked the two men, “I’m just helping out the guy. He’s looking for someone, a hunter specifically. Think you guys could help out identify the hunter?”

“Sure, you got a picture, or a description?” Merlak asked.
Clyde turned to face Failen. The other two men were about a meter or so before them and they hadn't notice that Failen really was a phoenix. Then again, those two were a little dense.
“Describe that hunter to them, they might know something.”

Failen wanted to kill Clyde when he said to the other hunters that he was a phoenix. However, he didn't, and was waiting for the two other hunters to attack him, but instead they started laughing. He stared at them, disbelieving. As their laughter died down, he looked over at Clyde, frowning slightly.

When prompted to speak, he said, "He's a hunter. White-blonde hair, looks rather young. He's pretty thin...he hurt a friend of mine, and I need to get him back." He folded his arms across his chest, feeling a breeze blow through the forest, causing goose bumps to rise on his bare chest and arms. I really need to get a shirt on, he thought. Fall was well into its run, and the nights were getting colder and colder. If Failen had been with other phoenixes, they would have begun preparing for the winter.

Reaching up, he pulled the hood of the cloak down further, wanting the two hunters to back off before one of them saw his hair, or else otherwise realized he was a phoenix.

Merlak grimaced while Jase raised an eyebrow quizzically at the hooded Failen.
"There are a few hunters who fit that description..." Merlak started as he crossed his arms before him, "But I think I have an idea on who you're talking about."
Merlak turned and gestured Clyde and his hooded companion to follow them, his face serious.
"Come, if it is him you are talking about then we can't discuss it openly here. Let us return to camp where there's warmth and food."
Jase followed Merlak as he walked off to return to the camp they had set up a few days earlier. Clyde tilted his head and looked at Failen before shrugging his shoulders and walking in the direction the other two hunters went to.

Once they arrived at the camp, Jase started a fire while Merlak gestured to his guests to have a seat on a log across him. The sound of crackling fire was all they could hear for the first few moments, along with the sound of Jase tinkering with something in his tent. He then came out with a tray that had wooden bowls of soup and passed one to each person.
"Where to start..." Merlak said as he let out a sigh.
"He probably means that silver haired brat," Jase spat out his words, expressing just how much he disliked this 'person'.
"Silver haired? But he said White-blond-ish," Clyde sipped his soup and looked at Melak and Jase.
"Oh, he does have white-blonde hair during the day but at night under the moonlight it looks like he has silver hair." Merlak nodded, "That person is the only hunter I know who is part of the Purgatory Hunting group."
"Purgatory Hunting group?" Clyde raised an eyebrow, "I thought they were just a bunch of renegade hunters who don't honor the code?"
"They've become more than that." Jase sat down and grimaced, "They've become some sort of fanatical cult within the hunter community. Thanks to them the hunter community is divided."
Merlak sipped on his soup before continuing, "I think him and whoever the leader of their cult are the ones responsible for the hunting of other creatures, like the phoenixes and they probably had a hand in the hunting of the dragons too."
"Wow, dragons..." Clyde sighed, "Been a long time since I last heard anyone mention them."

"The Unicorns are disappearing too..." Jase added, "Their body parts sold to the highest bidder. There's a market for this kind of hunting and many of the hunters who follow the old code really object to the idea...but those who object..."
"Become part of the hunted too," Merlak said as he stared into the crackling flames, his face devoid of emotion, "So if your friend here wants to seek revenge on him, high chance he'll end up being on the hunted list of the Purgatory Hunters."
"Oh, I wouldn't worry about that." Clyde smirked. He looked at Failen for a moment before turning to Jase, "Hey do you happen to have any extra clothes that would fit this guy?"
"Let me go check." Jase went off into his tent.
"Clyde," Merlak began slowly, "You have to tell your friend here to forget the idea. The Purgatory Hunters...they're not even afraid to murder their own kind!"
"I know." Clyde gulped down his soup and placed the bowl on the ground.

Jase returned with a few articles of clothing. He held it up to Clyde and said, "I have this tunic and this cloak. I think it'll fit your friend."
Clyde took the articles of clothing and set it on Failen's lap.
"Well, he's not really my friend..." Clyde had a playful grin on his lips as he placed a hand on the back of the cloak Failen was wearing and in one fell swoop, removed it from the now exposed phoenix.
Both Jase and Merlak were taken aback by what they saw. Fiery red hair, fiery red eyes and lovely multi-colored wings.
"Blimey," Merlak gulped, his voice a soft shudder, "You were't kidding when you said he was a phoenix."
Clyde wore his cloak and tugged on the front of it, "Ah, nice and warm." He then turned to Failen and said nonchalantly, "Come on. Change into that or you'll freeze yourself."

Failen nodded appreciatively as the clothes were placed in his lap, the soup lying untouched in his hands. He wasn't about t eat it, not without knowing what was in it. Besides, he had a lot to think about now, knowing what he did about the man who had hurt him. He couldn't eat with all of that on his mind. Still, he stiffened when he felt Clyde's hand on his back.

Letting out a shout as the cloak was torn from him, he leapt to his feet, the clothes falling to the ground. He lifted the bowl of soup and hurled it at Clyde's face, shouting, "I hate all you lying, murdering hunters!"

With that, he sprinted into the forest, and once he was far enough, he took to the air, flying until he needed to stop. He was hungry now, but there weren't any animals nearby, as far as he could tell. Instead of flying anymore, he hid, climbing high into the tree, where he couldn't be seen from the ground. He tucked his wings around him, trying to keep himself warm.

Clutching the tree so he wouldn't fall, he let his thoughts brew, angrily wondering why the hunter would betray him like that, especially after they had made their deal. Stupid, treacherous hunters, he thought angrily, clenching his hands into fists.

Failen began to shiver as night fell, the temperature dropping with every passing moment. Soon, a light rain began to fall, only adding to Failen's troubles. He needed to get into better shelter, and soon.

The camp was silent for a few moments after Failen fled in a rage.
Hot soup was dripping from Clyde's face, he stood there silent, eyes closed. He then licked his lips and smirked, "Guess he doesn't like vegetable soup."
"A-are you okay?" Merlak asked still rooted on his seat.
"Yeah," Clyde wiped his face with his cloak, "I'm glad I'm very resistant to heat."
"Shit man!" Jase swore at Clyde's nonchalant behavior, "You had a phoenix with you! What if it was cursed?!"
Clyde turned to look at Jase, his expression solemn, "Did he look like he was cursed?"
Jase fell silent. Actually to both Jase and Merlak, the phoenix they had just saw didn't look cursed at all. It looked like the true majestic phoenixes of the old times, before the hunt for them and other creatures began, before the beginning of the 'curse'.

"But why were you with him?" Merlak asked.
"I promised him I'd help him find the guy he's looking for," Clyde said as he picked up the clothes that had fallen off Failen's lap and onto the ground. He dusted the clothes and held onto them, "I'd better go find him."
"But he could be anywhere and it's getting late..." Merlak said as he looked to the darkening sky.
Clyde paused for a moment and looked at Merlak. He then grinned, "Maybe."
"I don't know what you're planning Clyde but..." Jase said as he sat himself next to Merlak, "You be careful..."
"And if you and your phoenix friend need a place to stay for the night," Merlak managed a small sincere smile, "You can always return to us."
Clyde gave out a chuckle and waved two fingers at the men and left the camp.

Clyde had been walking in a set direction for a few hours. The night air was cold and the forest was quiet. In his hand were the clothes that were meant for Failen to use. He probably shouldn't have just pulled the cloak away like that. Then again he was getting cold and he was really attached to that cloak, after all it belonged to...
"..." Clyde paused as his eyes darted around the forest and his ears twitching, listening. It was faint, but he could hear something that doesn't belong in the forest. The sound of someone shivering. He walked a few more steps towards a large tree and looked up. The tree was quite thick and he couldn't see all the way up the tree. But he knew there was something, someone there. And he could smell him too, but not only that...he could feel it. The aura of a phoenix.

"Monster!" the voice of a screaming woman echoed in the back of Clyde's mind. He paused for a moment, placing a hand on the tree bark and closing his eyes.
He stayed that way for a few minutes, silent as if he was part of the forest. He then turned his back on the tree and leaned against it.
"Cold night, eh?" he spoke in a voice loud enough for whoever that was on top of the tree to notice, "How long do you plan on staying there?"

Several moments of silence passed and after a while, Clyde continued to speak.
"You know," his voice was soft, yet its tone was admonishing, "Hunters aren't the only ones who are murderous and lying."
He looked up the tree, a smug look on his face as he continued, "As there are bad hunters, there are also good ones. The same with you phoenixes. Although you think you're generally good, there are some of you who are even worse than us hunters."
He crossed his arms in front of his chest and sighed, "Actually, it's the same for all living things. There is good and there is bad, but its definition is usually subjective. I can tell you this though, Merlak and Jase, they may be hunters but they never hunted a phoenix in their lives."
He then paused, scratching his chin, "Although Merlak is looking for the 'cursed' phoenix that killed his wife and unborn child. Luckily you normal phoenixes look a lot different from your cursed counterparts."

Failen was silent the whole time he heard the hunter speaking, trying to keep warm, even as the drizzle came down and chilled him to the bone. Once he had finished, the phoenix called down, "All you hunters care about is getting paid. You're just like the one that killed my parents, the one that killed my uncle...the one that killed my unborn brother or sister. I'm all alone because of you stupid hunters. I...I just want to be able to have somewhere to call home, but I can't when all you hunters are traveling farther and farther into the vast lands to find a phoenix to drag back to your cities and lords."

He clenched his hands into balls, digging his nails into the soft flesh of his palms. "What's the point of any of this anymore?" he asked himself, standing up. At first, he clung to the tree, but soon he was brave enough to let go of it and walk to the other end of the tree, wobbling a bit. He glared down at Clyde before stepping off the branch, spreading his wings so he could descend safely. Still, his landing was less than graceful, and he stumbled slightly. "Why should I trust you?" he asked, having to look up to glare into the hunter's eyes, the phoenix almost a head shorter than him.

"Why should I trust you and your hunter friends when others like you have taken everything from me?" Failen's words might have been more meaningful had his stomach not began to growl with hunger. Self-conscious now of his bare chest and the noises his stomach was making, he folded his arms across his chest, goosebumps rising on his chest and making the hairs stand up as a stiff breeze went through him. He knew his chest wasn't perfect. It was...average, for a phoenix. Pale of skin, the slight definition of muscles, and reddish hair making a line from his navel down, to disappear in his trousers.

At the moment, he wanted nothing more than to lie in front of a fire and sleep, his body chilled and his temper flaring, as well as his impatience being tried. Sleep would be a welcome escape. "What do you want? Why are you helping me?"

Clyde looked at the shivering phoenix before him. He didn't notice it before but he was a lot shorter than he was. His face remained solemn as he listened to Failen speak. It's true, although not all hunters were hunting phoenixes, they were still hunting other creatures to get paid. But that's why the old code was there, so that hunters wouldn't hunt unnecessarily, so they wouldn't hunt for greed but out of necessity. But that changed...it changed ever since the Purgatory Hunters started to convene with each other, working as a fanatical cult. When Failen asked what it was that Clyde wanted and why was it that he was helping him, the hunter's face softened for a moment.

He reached out to pat Failen's thick red locks and in a voice that was tinged with sadness, he muttered, "You remind me of someone."

Back at the camp, Merlak and Jase were going about doing their own thing.
"Do you think they'll be okay?" Jase called out from his tent.
"It's Clyde, we're talking about." Merlak chuckled as he rummaged through his backpack, "Even the Purgatory Hunters don't want to make an enemy out of him."
Jase walked out of his tent and entered Merlak's, his face showing a quizzical look.
"I've heard the rumors about Clyde," Jase said as he stood at the tent's entrance, "I thought he would be...more of a cold-blooded murderer."
Merla was silent as he continued to rummage through his backpack. He then paused and pulled out a bottle of faded purple liquid.
"Clyde lives by his own rules," Merlak said as he showed the bottle to Jase, "He's different than all hunters, normal and purgatory."
Jase approached Merlak and took the bottle from his hand, "Is this the elixir you were talking about? An antidote for the cursed phoenixes?"
"Still working on it," Merlak took out a thick book and flipped through the pages, "I'm not sure how well it will work. It will depend on how corrupted the phoenix has been by the curse..."

"He killed your wife and unborn child in front of you," Jase raised an eyebrow, his voice quiet but tinged with anger, "Why do you still want to save that cursed phoenix?"
Merlak looked at Jase, his eyes determined as he spoke, "Because before he became cursed, he was my friend."
Merlak took the bottle from Jase and placed it on a table, where he placed the thick book he was just flipping through.
"We grew up together," Merlak's voice was soft, "We were childhood friends in a time when hunters still obeyed the old code. I know him well, Jase. And what killed my wife and unborn child...looked like him, sounded like him, but I know it wasn't him."
"Is that why you're trying to make a cure?" Jase asked, "So that you can return him back to normal?"
"If it works I think the elixir will benefit everyone no?" Merlak smiled wryly, "We won't have to kill phoenixes, cursed or not."

"But the Purgs," Jase shook his head, "They'll hunt you down. They won't stand idly by as you ruin whatever plans they have in store."
"True, but I'd rather make enemies with the Purgs than with the phoenixes." Merlak grinned. He picked up his book and started to flip through the pages again.
"Well time for me to continue..." Merlak trailed off. He paused for a moment, then his eyes widened.
"No...it can't be...here?" Merlak mouthed under his breath.
"What is it?" Jase asked, he looked outside of the tent but saw nothing. "Merlak?"
Merlak grabbed his rifle and stuffed the elixir into his backpack and strapped it onto his back.
"Merlak? Where you going?!" Jase called out as he chased after his friend.
Merlak stopped for a moment and faced Jase, a sad smile on his face, "It's time."

Clyde was having fun messing up Failen's hair. The young phoenix had every right to be angry with hunters, he wouldn't hold it against him. He then stopped patting Failen and gave him the articles of clothing.
"C'mon, wear this." he said kindly, "Else you'll freeze."
Clyde was about to gesture Failen to return to camp with him when he suddenly felt an unsettling presence. Immediately he jumped in front of Failen, his body tense and his eyes darting all around. There was something here...something that spells trouble for both hunter and phoenix.

The bushes about a hundred feet from them started to rustle. In the darkness a slow wobbling figure was walking towards them. Its head was hung low, and its arms slumped to its side.
"Tsk," Clyde clicked his tongue, his expression now grim as he ordered, "Get out of here Failen."
The creature walked closer and closer, till it reached a spot where the moonlight could shine through the thick forest canopy.
It was a phoenix...but instead of having red hair and beautiful rainbow colored wings, this one had rust red hair, with white strands and its wings were dull and molting. The creature raised its head, it's fiery red eyes now dull and tinged with black reflecting nothing but bloodlust. Its whole body covered in weird symbols and patterns. When the cursed phoenix spotted Failen, it spread out its wings and shrieked.

Failen jumped as he felt a hand on his head, fixing mistrustful red eyes on the hunter. Rarely did he let anyone touch him, especially not without permission. But for some reason he let Clyde, though he was still ready to bolt at any sign that the hunter was lying, or else aimed to hurt him. It didn't matter if he reminded him of anyone; Failen just didn't like people touching him. Still, he didn't say a word as the hunter messed up his hair, gazing up into his eyes. When he couldn't hold his gaze anymore, he looked away, his arms still crossed over his chest in an attempt to keep warm. As he was given the shirt, he nodded agreeably and began putting on a quilted green tunic, shifting his wings so that they were flat against his back beneath the tunic. Immediately afterwards, he felt warmer, thankful for the long sleeves and blanket-like design of the tunic. Still, as he was working on the last of the fastenings, he felt the sudden tension in the air and stopped, setting his jaw as he was told to leave.

"No," he said, not one to ever run away. However, fear settled in the pit of his stomach as he saw the cursed phoenix. He grabbed at Clyde's arm, trying to stop him from doing anything brash. "No! Clyde...we've got to go, now. Phoenixes like that aren't good, for other phoenixes or hunters." Still, as it let out an ear-splitting shriek, Failen froze, his muscles all tensing. He grabbed a hold of Clyde's cloak, scared out of his mind. He's seen what those things did to normal phoenixes. He did not want to see what they did to hunters as well. "Let's go," he said insistently, tugging on Clyde's clothing.

Clyde's face was devoid of any emotion as he stared at the approaching cursed phoenix. He could feel Failen tugging at his clothes but he didn't budge. He just stood there, silently staring at the wobbling creature.

The cursed phoenix walked in their direction slowly, dragging it's feet with each step. Its arms stayed limp on its sides and its dull, molting wings were limp on its back as well. There was no point in running away. This cursed phoenix was the one that Merlak had been looking for, the one that killed his wife and unborn child before his very eyes. But it was also his childhood friend. Clyde knew this because of the promise that Merlak forced Clyde to uphold.
"Go Failen." Clyde ordered, a hand stretching before the phoenix as if to protect him, "Go back to camp and stay there."

The cursed phoenix stopped its approach. It glared at the hunter and phoenix before him. It tilted its head, looking at the odd pair. For a moment it seemed like it was hesitating. But that only lasted for a moment. With a shrill cry the cursed phoenix flapped its wings and lunged towards the duo. Clyde's body immediately reacted. Quickly he turned and grabbed Failen in a princess hold and leaped to the side, merely missing the cursed phoenix's claws by several inches. He leaped a few more steps back and placed Failen on the ground. He then grabbed his flame-shaped chakrams on his hips and fixed it onto the open ends of his chain gauntlet.

"Go now!" Clyde barked, his blue left eye staring at Failen with concern. Clyde knew what cursed phoenixes were capable of. He's dealt with several before, but those were weak, this one...this one was strong. The moment when Clyde turned to face the cursed phoenix, the creature was already on top of him. Clyde only managed to block the blow to his side which sent the hunter flying off several feel into the distance. The cursed phoenix now stood before Failen, its eyes filled with bloodlust and its fanged mouth drooling. It raised a clawed hand in the air, ready to strike the young phoenix down where he stood.

Failen had watched Clyde, not daring to leave him alone but also too scared to help. However, when the cursed phoenix was at him, raising his clawed hand to deal the killing blow, Failen quickly let his body burst into flames. It was a phoenix's primary defense mechanism, like the opossum playing dead, but had a major drawback. The fires scorched the cursed phoenix, driving it away from Failen.

Failen had only done this once before, the night his parents were killed, and he had hated the entire experience. He felt his body burning to ashes, his clothes long gone, and could see the cursed phoenix through the fire. The fire didn't hurt him; all Failen felt was a nice, warm feeling, maybe a little tingling as his body was destroyed and rebirthed.

That was the drawback. Once a phoenix set themselves on fire, they became an infant again, and though their aging process was much quicker--only a couple days were spent as a child, but slowing down as the late teens were reached--it would leave Failen vulnerable. As the fire died, all that remained was a pile of ashes, and a silent infant with wings the size of a chicken's lying in its center. His mind was intact, he just hadn't the teeth yet to talk or the motor skills to walk.

He reached out to Clyde, his body covered in ashes. Please be safe, he prayed, his red eyes watching the cursed phoenix, even as his body began aging and fresh baby teeth began coming in.

The cursed phoenix howled as the flames engulfed its body. It staggered back further away from the now infant Failen, still agonizing over the fire.
Clyde staggered to his feet, a hand clutching his side. The cursed phoenix managed to give him a gash but nothing he could't handle. Swallowing the pain, Clyde loosened his chain gauntlets and threw his flame chakrams at the cursed phoenix, binding him in chains. The cursed phoenix now bound and still on fire, screamed even more.

Just then Merlak and Jase appeared behind Failen. Merlak's eyes grew wide when he saw the burning cursed phoenix while Jase was surprised there was a baby on the ground.
Clyde turned to face them, his arms tugging on the chains, keeping the cursed creature bound.
"Get the baby!" Clyde roared, his left blue eye in a fierce frenzy.
Merlak turned to Jase and signaled him to get the infant phoenix while he pulled out his elixir bottle and ran towards the cursed phoenix.
Jase ran towards Failen and stared at him for a moment. He was confused but now wasn't the time to dilly-dally. He took off his cloak and wrapped it around the infant phoenix gently and carried him. He then took several steps back, watching the scene before them unfold.

Merlak had smashed the elixir bottle onto the cursed phoenix's face, purple liquid splashing everywhere on the cursed creature as it howled and screamed even more. Clyde continued to hold on tightly to his chains, the more he moved, the more blood oozed from his wound.
"Phobos!" Merlak cried out at the cursed phoenix, "Phobos if you can hear me! Please! Say something!"
The cursed phoenix seemed like it was struggling with itself. The purple liquid had done something to it, the symbols that decorated its body was fading slowly and the cursed phoenix's eyes started to look a live again.

"M-mer...lak...?" the cursed phoenix spoke in a pained voice, "W-what...am...I...? What...have...I..."
"It's working!" Jase was surprised as he saw the cursed phoenix coming to its senses. He hugged Failen and smiled, "The elixir is working!"
"It's too early to celebrate!" Merlak said as he took several steps closer towards the phoenix once known as Phobos.
"No! Stay back!" Phobos roared, the symbols on his body appearing and disappearing, "Don't...I'm not worth saving..."
"I'll find a way! I promise you!" Merlak said as he continued his approach.
"NO!" Phobos roared, with a strong tug he freed himself from the chains that bound him and sent Clyde to the other end of the clearing.
Clyde reacted swiftly, letting go of the chains and landing a few feet away from Jase and Failen.
"The...corruption..." Phobos shook his head as he took several steps back away from Merlak, "Too...powerful...I'm a goner..."
"Phobos!" Merlak cried out.

Phobos bent forwards as if in pain and let out a shrill cry before spreading his wings and flying off into the sky.
The forest fell silent once more and the men exchanged looks.
"Let's return to camp." Merlak suggested as he looked at infant Failen and Clyde, "We can dress your wounds at camp."
He then looked at the baby phoenix, "And...uh...give it...diapers?"

Once the cursed phoenix had flown away, Failen listened to Clyde's words, a tiny pout coming to his lips. "I'm not a baby," he said. "And I don't need diapers." His voice was of a higher pitch than usual, his face cherub-like and almost comical. "Don't treat me different just because I'm a baby. I'm still Failen. I'm just a child for a few days." As he spoke, he got a little taller, his hair thickening out and growing out some. "In a few days, I'll be a teenager, and able to take care of myself." He pushed himself a bit away from the hunter holding him, though not enough to make him fall. He just wanted to make it clear that he didn't like being at the mercy of hunters, especially when he was completely incapable of protecting himself.

He looked over at Clyde, his eyes wide and fearful. "Are...are you going to be alright?" The hunter was one one of the the few people that he could trust, and he was worried that the other two might turn on him once Clyde wasn't around. It would be a few days until he could fly, and by the, his aging will be slowing down. Until then, he would be helpless. A harrowing thought, today say the least.

The phoenix frowned softly, his tiny red eyebrows pressing together. He shivered slightly, cold even though he was wrapped in the hunter's cloak. Still unsure what the hunter had done when he poured the purple liquid on the cursed phoenix, he looked to the one holding him and asked, "What was the purple liquid he put on the cursed phoenix? Poison? Did he hurt it?" For a minute, he looked about ready to cry at the thought of another phoenix--cursed or not--being hurt by a hunter. There were so few phoenixes left that every one alive mattered. Failen couldn't remember the last time he had seen a phoenix outside of his family, and even then, he hadn't seen any of them alive in years. The phoenix was an endangered species, thanks to the Purgatory Hunters Merlak and. Jase had been talking about.

The infant in Jase's arms suddenly decided that any hunter that killed a phoenix would die.

The walk back to camp was quiet, save for baby Failen's little quips.
"Hee hee," Jase chuckled as the infant in his arms shifted, "Look at him, trying to act all tough when he's a baby."
When Failen asked about Clyde, the hunter shrugged his shoulders and nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine. Just a scratch."
"We still need to treat your wound Clyde." Merlak replied, his voice stern as he looked at the hooded hunter, "We still don't know if it's possible for creatures other than the phoenixes to contract the same thing that's corrupting them."
"Nah I'm fine." Clyde sighed, "Just a bit pissed he got the better of me is all."

When Failen asked about the purple liquid, Jase exchanged looks with Merlak and then looked back at Failen with a confused look on his face.
"Truth be told I dunno little fella." Jase shrugged his shoulders. He then titled his head to Merlak, "He's the one you should be asking about that."
Merlak was quiet for a moment. He walked in pace with Jase and looked at the baby phoenix.
"It's an elixir I made..." he started slowly, "...so that I could bring my childhood friend, Phobos back."
"Well it seemed to work for a moment." Clyde spoke from behind them, "Emphasis on the moment."
Merlak smiled wryly and nodded, "Yes...but at least I was able to see a little bit of the old Phobos. He must be suffering so much."
He then turned to look at Failen, determination in his eyes, "Yes, in a way you can call it poison and that I hurt him. But the poison was not for the phoenix, it was for the 'thing' that corrupted him. I guess when that thing is hurt so was he..."

"With all that screaming I wouldn't be surprised." Jase replied cynically. His face then softened when he saw the edge of the camp.
"Ah, home sweet home." He said as he hurried to the camp with baby Failen in his arms.
Merlak stopped in his tracks as he watched Jase run off ahead of them. He then turned to Clyde and in a low, yet sincere voice asked, "Will you do me favor?"
"Depends on what it is." Clyde replied, his face solemn as he spoke.
"Both Phobos and I..." Merlak's voice was low, but Clyde could hear the pain in his voice, "...we both know that there is no way we can release him from the curse. If he has to die, I want him to die with dignity. As a phoenix and not a corrupted creature."
Merlak stared straight at Clyde, "When the time comes, please...kill us both."
"Why the both of you and not just him?" Clyde crossed his arms in front of him, raising an eyebrow quizzically.
"Because it would be too lonely for him to die alone." Merlak smiled sadly, "I already forgave him for what he's done. And the only way I can think of saving him, is to at least die together with him, while he is still sane."
Clyde looked at Merlak for a moment before heading off towards the camp. He paused halfway and without turning he muttered, "I'll think about it."

Back at camp Jase had sat baby Failen on a bed roll and was rummaging through his backpack for something.
"Since you're only going to be a baby for a few days I guess you could use that cloak and a blanket to keep you warm." He pulled out a fuzzy looking blanket and paused for a moment. For a moment he looked sad but then his face brightened again as he wrapped the blanket around baby Failen.
"There you go. Nice and warm. Let's go see what the others are up to."
Jase picked up baby Failen carefully and walked out of the tent. Outside near the campfire was Merlak and Clyde. The latter was topless, his toned body decorated with scars all around. Some looked superficial while others looked like they were deep and would never heal.
"Ouch!" Clyde jerked back slightly when Merlak applied some antiseptic on his new wound, "What the hell is that? I don't remember healing salves stinging like that!"
"It's not an ordinary healing salve," Merlak grimaced as he gestured for the hunter to sit still, "It's antiseptic. It stings but at least it'll make sure you won't have any infections and it would help heal the wound faster.
"Man you really like this alchemy thing don't you?" Clyde frowned as he reached for a blue potion from his backpack which was beside him. He popped the cork open and downed the potion in one gulp.

Failen didn't appreciate being treated like a baby, even if he was one, for now. Still, he was silent while Jase found the blanket and tried to make conversation. Once he was wrapped up in the blanket and the cloak, though, he learned that he hated being bundled up more than anything. It made him feel cramped, and caused his wings to stay pressed up against his back. Shifting a little, he tried to create more space for his wings, glancing up when he heard Clyde shout out in pain.

He frowned at the various wounds on his chest and arms, wondering where he could have gotten them. Hunters are injured all the time, he thought to himself, trying not to feel worried for the hunter.

"Put me down," he said to the hunter holding him. "I can probably walk by now." He didn't want to be treated any different than when he was still an adult, especially not by hunters. He was the same Failen as before, just weak and helpless. Why anyone would think him too different, he had no idea.

Still, before Jase could put him down, he yawned, his cute face scrunching up a bit. "Mmm...'m sleepy..." The events of the last couple hours or so had severely tired him out, and now in an infant's body, he was unable to control his emotions or wants very well anymore. He shifted again, though this time it was closer to the warm body of the hunter, his red eyes slowly falling shut, even as he tried to resist sleep.

Merlak and Clyde watched Jase as he came out of the tent with a bundled up Failen. Jase was just about to put the baby down when he suddenly yawned and inched closer to him. A little 'aww' escaped the mouths of the hunters, before everything went silent again.
"So Failen wants to go against that silver haired brat huh?" Jase spoke, shattering the silence, his face scrunched up in a grimace and the tone of his voice sharp.
"Seems like it." Clyde replied, noticing that Jase was shaking slightly. But he knew it wasn't out of fear, it was out of anger.
"Do you know where we can find him?" Clyde asked, turning to look at Merlak.
Merlak shook his head, "I'm afraid not. He's as difficult to find as you are when we need you."
Clyde let out a soft chuckle, "I'll take that as a compliment."

"But you too need to find him right?" Merlak spoke in a soft yet serious tone, "Because if you find him, you'll get a step closer to finding the real person you're after."
Clyde's face was solemn as he replied, "I suppose so."
"That bastard deserves whatever misfortune that comes his way." Jase spoke through gritted teeth. He went over to Clyde and passed the sleeping Failen over to him carefully, as not to wake him.
"Huh? Why are you giving him to me?" Clyde asked quizzically.
"Well he was with you earlier on, so I think it'll be better if it were you taking care of him instead of some stranger he just met." Jase shrugged as he walked off into the tent.

"What's with him?" Clyde asked, raising an eyebrow at Merlak. He held the sleeping Failen close to his chest, the baby's soft breathing seemed to make him feel at ease.
"Jase is the eldest in his family," Merlak said, poking the campfire before him with a stick, "And the only one to survive the Purgatory Hunters' wrath. His siblings, from his three-month old sister to his other siblings, were killed."
"And what of his parents?" Clyde asked.
"The mother died giving birth to the youngest daughter," Merlak continued, "While the father was killed in an accident while working. So for a while, Jase was in charge of everyone's welfare and there were seven of them, Jase included."
"Until the Purgs decided to hunt indiscriminately both phoenix and human..." Clyde's voice trailed off.
Merlak nodded, "I've got an extra sleeping bag, do you want it?"
"Sure."

Merlak took the sleeping bag from his tent and offered it to Clyde.
"Goodnight then." Merlak said as he returned to his tent.
The night was peaceful and the sound of the crackling fire was strangely soothing. Clyde took the sleeping bag and opened it not too far from the fire and spread it under a tree. Carefully he placed the little baby phoenix onto the sleeping bag and covered him. He then wore his shirt and cloak and sat beside the sleeping bag, his back leaning against the tree. He pulled down the hood of his cloak to cover his face and crossed his arms to keep himself war.
"Night little bird." Clyde spoke softly as he let himself be engulfed by sleep.

Failen slept peacefully, curled into a tiny little ball, a peaceful expression on his face. He didn't wake throughout the night, his body exhausted from the events of the previous day, nor did he dream. When morning came, he felt like he had just slept the best he ever had.

As the sunlight pierced his mind, prompting him to awaken, he stirred, shivering a bit. He disentangled himself from the blanket, finding himself in the body of a five-year-old. His hair was now to the small of his back, having grown as well during the night. Brushing some of it out of his eyes, he stood up, wrapping the blanket around him, needing to go to the bathroom. It appeared that none of the other hunters had awoken.

Venturing into the woods, he made sure he was far enough away from the camp that no one would see him before beginning. When he had finished, he wrapped the blanket around his shoulders again and was going to go back to the camp when he heard unfamiliar voices.

"Told you I found phoenix feathers around this way, and here's another one. Must be two of them, 'cause I found the feathers of an older one and a baby one." By then, Failen had hidden in a grouping of bushes, having left the blanket for fear that it would be too easy to see amongst the greens of the bushes.

Still, it was covered with fluffy baby feathers that he had molted overnight.

He looked of in the direction of the camp, wondering how fast he would need to run if he was to make it back safely. If he screamed, could Clyde hear him?

Hearing footsteps approaching him, he backed up a bit--right into a bramble of thorns. As the thorns pierced his skin, he let out a shout, tears filling his eyes. That immediately notified the men to his presence, and their conversation immediately stopped. Once they knew he was there, it was all too easy to spot Failen's bright red hair, and soon a tall, looming man wearing all black had grabbed Failen by his arm and hauled him out of the brambles, and not too gently, either. His companion was dressed similarly, but his hair was a deep brown color while his captor's was black.

"Lemme go!" Failen shouted, cuts now littering his body. He thrashed and fought, until he saw the flash of a blade. He looked at the steel with wide eyes, the cuts on his skin stinging.

"Pretty little thing, huh?" The man holding him asked, while his companion dug in his pack for something. The other one nodded, pulling out a length of rope. "Wonder where its clothes are. Probably doesn't even have any." As the brown-haired one approached him with the rope, Failen looked from one to the other before letting out a high-pitched scream, hoping that Clyde or his friends could hear him. He received a harsh smack to his face for his trouble, and soon he could feel the rope being tied around his wrists and his wings, as if he could even fly at his age.

"Where's your family at?" the one holding him asked. "We know there's more of you somewhere."

When Clyde opened his eyes, he found himself standing alone in the dark. He looked around him, although there wasn't much to look at. But he knew he wasn't alone. He could feel a presence hiding in the darkness, a presence he knows too well, a presence he dreaded.

“It’s been a while since we last had a...’feast’...” A very low and deep gruff voice echoed around Clyde. Clyde’s body stiffened. He’s heard this voice, time and time again, yet each time he hears it, it never fails to send shivers down his spine.
“There won't be any more ’feasts’.” Clyde spoke through gritted teeth, his eyes focusing onto a spot in the darkness. A faint silhouette faded in and out at where his blue eye stared. A speck of red light started to glow in the distance.

“It doesn't matter.” The voice continued, it's tone mocking, “You’ll get hungry eventually. And when you do...”
Suddenly the silhouette lurched forward towards Clyde in the darkness, glowing red eyes filled with blood lust staring at Clyde as the silhouette broke into a large reptilian jaw and engulfed him.

“!” Clyde’s eyes snapped open and he immediately sat up. His forehead was beading with sweat and he was breathing irregularly. Clyde covered his face with his hands and sighed.
“Dammit!”
He then realized where he was. He looked in the direction of the tents and saw no movement, guess the other two men were still asleep. He turned to look at Failen but his eye widened when he saw the bed roll empty. He stood up and looked around, it didn't seem like he was kidnapped. Perhaps he ran away? But then again there was nothing to gain from him running away. He then looked at the bed roll once more and saw that one of the blankets covering him was gone as well.

“Hmm, maybe nature called?” Clyde muttered under his breath. He stretched himself and equipped both his backpacks, the one where he stores things and the other where he keeps his gun. He should probably go look for the little phoenix. Even though they were out of hunter territory, it was still unsafe for a little phoenix to be wandering around. He was about to set off when his ears picked up a distant yet alarming scream.

“Failen!” Clyde swore under his breath and charged off as fast as he could in the direction of the scream. When he realized he had bolted out of the camp at such speed, his mind began to wonder and ask why.

“Why am I reacting this way?”

He shook the thought out of his head and continued running.
Meanwhile back in camp, Merlak had just woken up and was getting out of his tent he realized that both Clyde and Failen were gone.
“Huh?” He scratched his head groggily, “Where’d they go?”

---

A gunshot followed by the clanking of chains broke the silence between Failen and his captors. The bullet hit it's target, the knife blade and shattered it in two, sending a shard flying towards the brown-haired man in black, while two flaming chakrams landed in between the fazed men, creating a flame barrier between Failen and the two hostile strangers.
There was a swishing sound as something shot out and wrapped itself around Failen. It was cold but glowing slightly. With a strong tug, Clyde pulled Failen away from the black-garbed hunters and straight into his arms. It was probably uncomfortable for the little phoenix but at least it put him out of harms way. Once Failen was in his arms he quickly cut the rope binding him and carried him protectively in his left arm, while his right arm aimed his pistol at the two purgatory hunters.
“Sorry, but this little bird is mine.” Clyde growled, his cold blue eye staring menacingly at the hunters.

Failen had been hit twice more by the time Clyde arrived. The knife one of the men had hadhad also been used to cut a bit into the phoenix's throat, as they tried to get him to say where his family was. He refused to speak, although he had tears flowing down his cheeks as the pain and fear began to get to him.

Letting out a scream as a gunshot rang through the forest, he jumped as the hunter who had provided the rope got a piece of broken blade in his stomach, letting out a pained grunt as he pressed his hands over the wound, trying to stop the blood. Shivering as the cold something wrapped around him, he saw the glow just before it was gone and he was safely in Clyde's arms. Wrapping his arms around his neck, he held on desperately, scared of being away from him again.

Th unharmed hunter was facing down Clyde, twin pistols pointed at the man. His companion held swords at his hip, but was currently not in any state to fight. The young Failen was still bleeding from the bramble bush he had stumbled into, as well as the shallow cut on his neck. His sobs wracked his small body, but he was alive.

By the gods, he was alive, thanks to Clyde.

The black-haired hunter made the first move, shooting the pistols simultaneously as he moved behind a tree one bullet sent in the direction of both of the adversaries. Failen clung ever tighter to Clyde, fearing the end of both of them.

One arm was strongly wrapped around Failen as Clyde moved to dodge the bullet that was speeding their way. Clyde had just barely dodged it, the bullet whizzing past the side of his face, grazing his cheek and tearing through a bit of his hood.
Clyde dashed towards cover parallel to the purgatory hunter, his gun pointing at the one that shot at them. He didn't fire, instead he watched the other hunter's movements closely. As the hunter took cover behind one of the trees, Clyde jumped behind cover as well, a tree with a wide enough trunk to cover both him and Failen.

He leaned against the tree, making sure Failen was as close to him as possible.
"You alright?" Clyde asked the shaken little phoenix, his voice gruff but somewhat gentle, "I'll distract them. Think you can run back to camp?"
Clyde then crouched on the ground and slowly let Failen down, pistol still in one hand while the other gesturing the phoenix to lay low.
"Aren't you lot a little too far out of your own territory?" Clyde called out to the two purgatory hunters. The purgs rarely went this far into the vast lands. They usually stuck to the edges of the vast lands and stayed within the hunting territories. But if they were moving this far then the only thing Clyde could think of was that they were expanding their territory base.

Status
Not open for further replies.