Phobias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Astraphobia, also known as astrapophobia, brontophobia, keraunophobia, or tonitrophobia is what you have and it's a fear of thunder or lightning. Both animals and humans can get it and it's treatable. I think what you have described is phobia level, but it would be hard to get over unless exposed to it often and essentially being mentally trained that it's ok and that the noise won't hurt you. That's just my opinion though.
Really its just never been a problem. While it certainly bothers me, it isn't frequent enough to really affect me, nor is it intense enough. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't want anything to do with it, but it isn't at the level where I'd want to hide from it. I've even driven through a thunderstorm. It just puts me on edge and makes me feel uncomfortable.

I do realize that kissing is more of a universal exception, generally.
I've met people where stuff like kissing is literally their phobia.

Henry.

I mean, I don't know if it really counts as a phobia, but she's ranted to me quite a few times about how she thinks kissing is just the weirdest fucking thing and how if anyone ever tried to kiss her, she'd probably run the fuck away because the whole concept just creeps her out.

Henry.

I mean, I don't know if it really counts as a phobia, but she's ranted to me quite a few times about how she thinks kissing is just the weirdest fucking thing and how if anyone ever tried to kiss her, she'd probably run the fuck away because the whole concept just creeps her out.
So...Philemaphobia? Is it a fear or just that they find it weird/awkward?

So...Philemaphobia? Is it a fear or just that they find it weird/awkward?

I don't know for sure. What I just posted is really all I know about her thoughts on it.

I don't know for sure. What I just posted is really all I know about her thoughts on it.
Ah gotcha; well some people just have a distaste for it. I'd say more but I don't want to read into one action of someone I don't know.

I actually kind of get where people are coming from for being scared of kissing. I myself don't really like kissing all that much, for whatever reason. I have some days where I'm feeling off and it's like a nuisance more than anything.
I haven't been in an RL relationship long enough to know personally if I eventually switch to moods of "I don't want to".
But from my current understanding I'm fine with it, I'd probably only get annoyed if it was done constantly to the point I felt like the kissing was all we were doing.
I can't wrap my head around French kissing being enjoyable. Tongue hockey is fucking gross feeling.
I personally can't really say personally to be honest. :P
Kids are hit and miss with me. If they're well behaved and can hold a conversation of sorts I tend to like them, but if they're hyperactive or screaming or moody it's my personal Hell. I still remember what it was like for me being a kid, but I know if older me met kid me, older me would probably think kid me was literally the worst thing imaginable, even though I was pretty well behaved for the most part.
I'm fine with hyperactive kids, it's the one's who constantly ignore what they're told and throw tantrums that 'can' get to me.

Though having worked in Autism Therapy (hell it's what I'm currently in college for) that later part is pretty normal. But if I'm aware the behaviours are do to something like Autism and not something silly like "I didn't get my 3rd ice cream cone!" then I'm not annoyed by it.

Basically a lot of what might annoy me with people (especially kids) relies on the reasoning and intention behind the actions, not the actions themselves.
Henry.

I'm not surprised. :P

Though the only person I know IRL whose like that isn't just terrified of kissing but any kind of physical contact.
She's like one of those really sheltered and paranoid people who stays away from most social interactions and just focuses on their school work.
But not the over controlling parents kind of sheltered but a self-enforced kind.

Spiders.

So many baby spiders crawling all over 6-year-old me. *shudders*

Phobias hmmm

I've got a roach phobia no doubt and its pathetic but I learnt to live with it.

I have a deep water sea phobia. Yeah can turn serious to the point where I can drown myself if not careful.

I've a medical phobia. Yeah its horrible but through the phobia and all its also become my dark secret kind of fetish.

Thats it so far and lol I think I have already enough phobias as it is.

I have a tremendous fear of trying new foods and as a result I have a very small variety of foods I actually eat. It's rather embarrassing, really, especially when I go over to other people's houses to eat or out to a restaurant. I feel kinda bad as it's become a burden for my family and others around, but it's not like I can really do much about. Even when I do build up the courage to try a new food, I almost always just end up gagging a lot, because my brain doesn't recognize it and immediately sends a signal to get it the crap out of my mouth. I'm told it's because I got a very serious case of food poisoning back when I was much smaller, although I don't remember it at all. I've been trying my best to overcome it, but it's not easy and improvement comes very gradually, if even at all.

I have a tremendous fear of trying new foods and as a result I have a very small variety of foods I actually eat. It's rather embarrassing, really, especially when I go over to other people's houses to eat or out to a restaurant. I feel kinda bad as it's become a burden for my family and others around, but it's not like I can really do much about. Even when I do build up the courage to try a new food, I almost always just end up gagging a lot, because my brain doesn't recognize it and immediately sends a signal to get it the crap out of my mouth. I'm told it's because I got a very serious case of food poisoning back when I was much smaller, although I don't remember it at all. I've been trying my best to overcome it, but it's not easy and improvement comes very gradually, if even at all.
That has to be rough. Does it also apply if it's a similar kind of food to what you are accustomed to eating, like say a hamburger compared to Sloppy Joes?

Thalassophobia.

I live in a land-locked state, and I can handle beaches oddly enough but that's about it, being in large bodies of water is crippling.
The irrational side to it is that there is a massive creature down there. I've had nightmares about it and I can't even handle seeing it in video-games and such.

That has to be rough. Does it also apply if it's a similar kind of food to what you are accustomed to eating, like say a hamburger compared to Sloppy Joes?
Very much so. If it's at all different to what I'm accustomed to, I will most likely be too afraid to try it; although there have been exceptions on rare occasions, it really just depends.

I admire your dedication to the greatest of all sandwiches.

Peanut butter is pretty much my family's staple breakfast food to the point my grandfather requested that peanut butter sandwiches be served at his funeral.

Last time I got stung by a wasp was on a field trip to this place called the Sharron Temple where we were learning how to make wax candles and do other old colonial things. We'd just gotten our cast candles back and we were getting ready to go back to the buses when one landed on my shoulder and stung me for no fucking reason.

I mean, usually those assholes leave you alone if you don't swat at them or flail around, but this one for whatever reason decided to play Attack on Titan before it was a thing.
My mother was, and is to this day, very much anti sugar. The day that she made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich was a glorious triumph in the ongoing conflict to bring preservatives and sugars into out home. There is indeed, no shame in my sandwich protection game. When I saw those bees, I knew that there was nothing that was going to stop me for fighting to reclaim my rectangular piece of Americana. Though they were legion, I did not fear them. I was a lone Power Ranger in a world overrun by Putty Patrollers (I've severely dated myself with that one.) It was my time bro, it was...my time.

I've never been stung by a wasp, but I have been stung by a Yellow Jacket that flew into my shoe as I was walking down a trail. The little jerk decided to sting me in the ankle no less than three times. Needless to say, I wasn't doing much running around that day.

I don't think I've ever had anything that counts as a phobia. Anymore I'm not really scared of much of anything. Yes, I tend to think of worst case scenarios, and at times it causes me to be a tad bit paranoid or on edge, but there's never really a feeling I would describe as fear along with it. (My idea of fear might just be too intense, I dunno.)

I was afraid of heights when I was younger. I had to close my eyes when we went over bridges, elevators made it hard to breathe, and I clung to the wall for dear life when my parents took me to the top of that lighthouse when I was eight. (At the same time though, I was just fine walking along the edge of cliffs when I went for hikes. Looking back, it was really a fear of tall man-made objects. I trusted that nature wouldn't randomly collapse on me. People though? I wasn't so confident in their work.)
I decided that was unacceptable, however, and ended up forcing myself to go on every tall object that I came into contact with. I still feel a bit of dread from time to time, but for the most part that fear is entirely wiped out.

OH
AND SALVADOR DALI PAINTINGS
FREAKING SALVADOR DALI PAINTINGS
I HATE THOSE SO MUCH

I blame my mother. When I was about five years old she took me to a Salvador Dali museum. I was terrified the whole time. Halfway through she started to think maybe she shouldn't have brought me, when she realized the only other kid there was an eleven year old sucking on a binky.
She tried to buy a print to bring it home, and I flipped out. I burst into tears, threw a full out tantrum, and starting screaming about how if she bought it I was running away and was never coming home again. I had nightmares about that place for what my mom said was about a year after that... it was horrid.
It's a shame too, because his style of art is probably something I would really like if it weren't for that event.
I just remember walking through that museum, and I felt so small and everything was so scary.
It sounds silly, but to me it felt like I could feel evil radiating off of those paintings. It literally felt like being in a horror movie, like there was some demonic presence just waiting to jump out and snatch me.
I remember thinking that whoever drew them must have had monsters inside of them, and I was scared that the monsters would get me too.
...Yeah, it was a stupid irrational fear, but five year olds are stupid and irrational..
Honestly, the thought of it still freaks me out.

*gasp* But I love Salvador Dali... D:
And I envy you for that!
I really do think I'd like his work if it weren't for that whole 'terrified at the age of 5' thing.
Surreal art is a favorite of mine, and he was super talented.
Every time I try to look at his art it makes me feel sick though.
That old "There's monsters inside him and they're gonna get me too!" thought pops right back into my head and I can't get it out.
I think his work not only does an excellent job at conveying emotions, it's also very dark, and while that's something that I now look for and appreciate in art it was just too much for a kid to handle. I was a perceptive little brat, for all my shortcomings, and I always looked pretty deeply into things like art and poetry. (As an example: At the age of seven I decided that Robert Frost's poem "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening" was about a man who desperately wanted to die, but knew that he still had too many responsibilities in life to give in to death. My teacher was concerned, to say the least.)
There were a lot of intense ideas and emotions displayed in his work, and I wasn't old enough to understand them yet. It was confusing, and in an attempt to rationalize what I was seeing and feeling my mind chose to believe that the paintings were evil and full of monsters. I now have a better understanding of his artwork, but I've never been able to move past that initial explanation my mind came up with.

Wow, that response was too serious.
Um... let's see...
how to lighten the mood...?
Uh...
Random overused cat gif!

Actually, nah, I'm too lazy to find one.

I'm a pretty timid person, so there are many things that frighten me. As far as phobias go, the worst of them are my arachnophobia (spiders), agoraphobia (fear that I'll have a panic attack in an uncomfortable place in which I cannot escape), acrophobia (heights...), and aquaphobia (fear of water; nearly died from drowning when I was a kid). Also: Huh, all those start with 'A'.

All stem from trauma that I haven't been able to get any professional help for. None are stories I should go into great detail about, however the spider one has a bit of humor to it. In addition to once having a bunch of spiders crawl all over my body at once, my step-dad decided to one day wake me from my nap to show me a surprise he brought from work. I assumed it would be an auto part I could play with (he worked for Schucks at the time), but nope. There was a big ass tarantula staring me in the face, from a box he caught it in. :| Needless to say, that experience haunts me for life.

I also have an intense fear of driving vehicles. I'm 24 and still have no license because I can't trust myself to not panic in the seat. lol Working on that one, though. I feel like this fear will be more easily overcome once the right instructor sits with me and guides me through it all.

I'm a pretty timid person, so there are many things that frighten me. As far as phobias go, the worst of them are my arachnophobia (spiders), agoraphobia (fear that I'll have a panic attack in an uncomfortable place in which I cannot escape), acrophobia (heights...), and aquaphobia (fear of water; nearly died from drowning when I was a kid). Also: Huh, all those start with 'A'.

All stem from trauma that I haven't been able to get any professional help for. None are stories I should go into great detail about, however the spider one has a bit of humor to it. In addition to once having a bunch of spiders crawl all over my body at once, my step-dad decided to one day wake me from my nap to show me a surprise he brought from work. I assumed it would be an auto part I could play with (he worked for Schucks at the time), but nope. There was a big ass tarantula staring me in the face, from a box he caught it in. :| Needless to say, that experience haunts me for life.

I also have an intense fear of driving vehicles. I'm 24 and still have no license because I can't trust myself to not panic in the seat. lol Working on that one, though. I feel like this fear will be more easily overcome once the right instructor sits with me and guides me through it all.
I'm certainly glad I don't live somewhere where tarantulas run around all willy nilly. Only time I've ever seen a spider larger than a thumb nail was in a cage, I can't imagine I'd enjoy running into one larger than my fist where it's not contained.

Driving is definitely one of those things you do get used to, and a good instructor helps so much. My dad stressed the hell out of me when I was learning, but my mom was a lot more patient. If you haven't tried already, a good place to practice driving is a school or church parking lot after hours. There's no traffic to worry about, you can drive as slow or fast as you please, and you can get plenty of practice pulling into and backing into spaces without worrying about hitting anything.

• Thank You
Reactions: Fluffy
Bridges. i wish I was joking, but if you were to tell me to cross a long bridge, I would likely ask how you'd like to die. Crossing bridges for me is fucking brutal, I just cannot handle it. I want to walk in the middle of the bridge at all times, I have a irrational fear that I am going to fall of the bridge.

Heights does it for me, I just go really light headed and stuff. it's probably my worst phobia, but even then I can manage it really well. it's if we are talking the "you fall, you die" kinds of heights.

Status
Not open for further replies.