Philosophies

My reason to plow through life is for my friends, as previously mentioned.
My reasons for that...
I was bullied throughout my life-Your typical geek story. I played Yu-gi-oh, I was a game nerd, I was a bit socially awkward... And every time I'd make an attempt to stand up for myself, I'd get shoved right back down, harder and harder every time. One day, in the ninth grade, I lost control for a second, and shoved one of my personal tormentors away. He didn't take kindly to it, and after class, I was shoved down 3 flights of stairs. The ends of each stair had recently had steel welded on to the ends of them, supposedly to prevent accidents. This didn't help in this case, however. When I finally hit the ground, I couldn't move. I was bleeding from my mouth, my chest was skinned a good bit, and my stomach was on fire. And the worst part? All the people walking down the stairs didn't bother to help. They walked over me, past me, and either laughed, or looked at me like I was a monster or something. Like they were disgusted, even the people who I thought were my friends. They were scared of having the same thing happen to them if they stood up for themselves, so they didn't... I couldn't move, I couldn't think... I just laid there, trying to stay awake and not pass out. It was a good 10 minutes before a teacher picked me up. We got to the hospital, and the doctor explained that I had 3 fractured ribs, and 1 was broken. I stayed at home for a good long while, and during this, I began thinking. I got into the mindset that friends weren't needed, that they would just turn on you and cause more pain in your life. They weren't to be trusted, and they weren't of any use. They were just...complications.

So, I shut myself off from all of them. Even the ones who hadn't seen what happened to me, the ones who didn't laugh. All of them. I was cold and I started reverting to my original personality. I didn't talk, I avoided conversations. I reverted to the overly shy boy I was from the start. The bullying didn't stop, because now they were angrier. One of the 4 guys got expelled and sent to one of those anger management classes... Now it was worse.
It got to the point where I was contemplating offing myself, but every time I tried, I couldn't bring my body to do it. I thought of myself as weak for not doing it. I was in utter despair. Despite my cold attitude, the loyal friends kept trying. I tried acting like I didn't care, and I ended up breaking down, but they stood by me. I told them to get away, but they would go anywhere. They talked me into stopping what I was doing, and they promised not to do what the others had done, adn I believed them. A lot of those friends left a while ago, but I still keep in touch with my closest friends. And because of those events, I chose to keep my friends happy, to never take them for granted. I live for my friends, as greedy as that sounds.
That may also explain why I'm so hard to get in a bad mood., or maybe I was always like that. Who knows, right? ^_^
A bit long-winded, sorry. ^^;

HOLY SHIT, that's an explanation right there.

I apologize for the long-winded explanation. But if I had just put "I was depressed, tried to off myself, and recovered", well...I don't think it would have done my conviction much justice. Come on, Iwaku, show me your conviction! ^_^

THAT WAS AWESOME, MIRU!

So, to sum it up...
What drives you through life is what I'm asking right now.
You want to find out what makes you tick, right?

I'm not sure to be honest. My life's always just been an existence. I've got this underlying urge to do good, I just never really get the chance to do as much as I'd like at any given time... Perhaps that's what drives me on.

Or perhaps it's something a bit more self destructive. As I mentioned before about trying to help, I have the exact opposite desire when it comes to myself. I'm often putting myself into bad situations that I escape from. Perhaps it's a desire to see just how bad I can be off, and see if I bounce back.

Yeah... doesn't exactly answer your question, I think, but I don't believe I'm in the world to figure our why I tick.

So in a way, your life is like a bungee jump?

I want to be happy and I want to make the people around me happy. To improve quality of life through interaction and fun activities.

At first all I did was try to make other people happy through the first two internet communities I took part of/ran. .__.; I had no control over my own life, so I found a way to have control and bring other people joy while simultaneously giving myself a sense of worth and purpose.

Then I found purpose and worth in my physical life, but my online life was declining rapidly. c___c; Something finally tipped the wagon and I quit. I didn't think I was needed nor did I think I needed it myself.

...of course, then I realized I was wrong. e.e; Apparently if I am not taking an active role in a community, I lose all sense of purpose and self. I need to feel like I am making a difference to people.

Well, not long after Rory asked me for help on Iwaku and the rest is recent history. :D

So I guess my life philosophy is "Better the community and you will better yourself". Or some mumbo jumbo like that!

So in essence, you're always busy, whether you're online or not? I have to admire that, Da:nana:. ^_^
You've pretty much found a way to balance your two lives. XD
Now, a theoretical question. (Anyone can answer this)
You're an entity on the Internet, on Iwaku, but you somehow no longer exist in real life.
What happens to your conviction now?

Feel free to continue to share your convictions, new people, and answer this question. ^_^

I used to subscribe to the philosphy that none of this is in fact true, and that this all is just a dream of mine and that my REAL life begins when I die.

Then I grew up and learned that there is plenty of joy to be found in the little things in life, and that if it IS a dream, it's a profound one that both teaches us lessons and prepares us for whatever lies ahead. I do not know what happens to us if we die, and I do not care right now, because frankly, I WILL find out WHEN (or even IF) I die.

Meanwhile, I just make sure that I do what I can to make everyone around me happy, because I've found seeing people happy makes ME happy. I take out of life what I can and thoroughly enjoy it, because I know all to well that there's a downside to life, and that things can go bad really really quickly.

It's because of these beliefs that I'm fully able to appreciate a nice sunset or sunrise, a fun discussion or (more in line with the personality you've gotten to know) the sight of a beautiful woman. I don't take anything for granted anymore.

I strive to be happy, and find the good things in bad situations, because I LIKE to be happy...so if I can MAKE myself happy, I should do so.

I'm rather curious as to what drives all the Iwaku members in their day-to-day lives...
What is your conviction? What drives you, what makes you carry on even when life discourages you at every turn? In short, what makes you tick?

Had to quote so I don't have to go back to the first page to see what you're asking, lol.

Well, to be honest, I don't really have a philosophy that I follow. I just live, take in what surrounds me, and keep moving forward. Negativity is the fuel that drives me, because I want to prove people wrong and make them look like a fool. In turn, positivity also drives me because it changes me and helps me move towards the top.

I used to worry a lot; I used to worry about the past, the present, and the future. It really made me sick and full with anxiety. Now, why should I worry and why should I let life discourage me? Especially since I'm the one whose controlling it, lol. I just shrug off the things that go wrong, face the obstacles I encounter, and simply don't give a fuck about what or who is trying to stop me. Cause it's not gonna happen.

My main drivers at the moment: My three children.

There shouldn't be any necessary explanation for a fathers love for his children.

My philosophy on life is "memento Mori" which roughly translates to "remember you must die." Which could be considered morbid if taken by itself, but I find in accepting my own mortality, I have the will to live without regrets.

As for my main drive, the golden apple. I have a desire to know more, to know the truth of the world.

My clan of girls whom i protect and those i am loyal to

I was never a highly religious person nor did I ever have a massive ambition harbored towards any sort of art, therefore there alway was a sense of rootlessness within my being.

There was a yearning to roam yet had not place to yearn for. There seemed to be a nothingness that sat within me that contained everything... And an everything that contained nothing.

When I first read the Tao Te Ching, there was an feeling of understanding within senselessness. It was the first truly religious experience I have ever felt, and remains as one of the most influencing moment of my life; guiding the life I live without any conscious thoughts about it.

Honor.

doing the right thing is paramount, failure to do so is failure to be a man.

for instance, if a chick is cold, and ive got a jacket, ask her if she wants it.

shit like that.

Reactions: 1 person
There are four credos I swear by. I actually convinced one of the plastic surgeons on my service to adopt a few of them, or at least give them some thought.

1) "Those who dare, win."

2) "Do not go gently into that good night."

3) "Never start a fight. Always finish them."

Number 4 is the newest. 4) "Fear nothing, conquer everything."

Honor.

doing the right thing is paramount, failure to do so is failure to be a man.

for instance, if a chick is cold, and ive got a jacket, ask her if she wants it.

shit like that.

Honor is indeed important, and with it comes a feeling of self-accomplishment. How would you react if all the people on Earth suddenly didn't want any help, didn't care for honor? (A good majority of people are already on this road. T_T)

I was never a highly religious person nor did I ever have a massive ambition harbored towards any sort of art, therefore there alway was a sense of rootlessness within my being.

There was a yearning to roam yet had not place to yearn for. There seemed to be a nothingness that sat within me that contained everything... And an everything that contained nothing.

When I first read the Tao Te Ching, there was an feeling of understanding within senselessness. It was the first truly religious experience I have ever felt, and remains as one of the most influencing moment of my life; guiding the life I live without any conscious thoughts about it.

So you're kind of like a nomad? You're a drifting spirit?

My clan of girls whom i protect and those i am loyal to

My philosophy on life is "memento Mori" which roughly translates to "remember you must die." Which could be considered morbid if taken by itself, but I find in accepting my own mortality, I have the will to live without regrets.

As for my main drive, the golden apple. I have a desire to know more, to know the truth of the world.

The pursuit of knowledge? I had a feeling. ^_^
Too much knowledge can drive a man mad, of course.

My main drivers at the moment: My three children.

There shouldn't be any necessary explanation for a fathers love for his children.

Indeed. And it's very encouraging to see a loving father committed to his children. Kudos to you.

Had to quote so I don't have to go back to the first page to see what you're asking, lol.

Well, to be honest, I don't really have a philosophy that I follow. I just live, take in what surrounds me, and keep moving forward. Negativity is the fuel that drives me, because I want to prove people wrong and make them look like a fool. In turn, positivity also drives me because it changes me and helps me move towards the top.

I used to worry a lot; I used to worry about the past, the present, and the future. It really made me sick and full with anxiety. Now, why should I worry and why should I let life discourage me? Especially since I'm the one whose controlling it, lol. I just shrug off the things that go wrong, face the obstacles I encounter, and simply don't give a fuck about what or who is trying to stop me. Cause it's not gonna happen.

So, just take life as it comes, and charge through negative events? And on the way, if you can prove negative people to be fools, and take positive people's encouragement? ^_^

I used to subscribe to the philosphy that none of this is in fact true, and that this all is just a dream of mine and that my REAL life begins when I die.

Then I grew up and learned that there is plenty of joy to be found in the little things in life, and that if it IS a dream, it's a profound one that both teaches us lessons and prepares us for whatever lies ahead. I do not know what happens to us if we die, and I do not care right now, because frankly, I WILL find out WHEN (or even IF) I die.

Meanwhile, I just make sure that I do what I can to make everyone around me happy, because I've found seeing people happy makes ME happy. I take out of life what I can and thoroughly enjoy it, because I know all to well that there's a downside to life, and that things can go bad really really quickly.

It's because of these beliefs that I'm fully able to appreciate a nice sunset or sunrise, a fun discussion or (more in line with the personality you've gotten to know) the sight of a beautiful woman. I don't take anything for granted anymore.

I strive to be happy, and find the good things in bad situations, because I LIKE to be happy...so if I can MAKE myself happy, I should do so.

You're a bit like me, then. The moods of my friends do influence mine. I can't be happy knowing that my friend is sad. I respect these views. ^_^