Status
Not open for further replies.
Callawyn jolted up from thought as she offered him the tea, which he gladly took. "Trying to figure out how the poisoned items got into that room, is all. It would have been nearly impossible." He took a sip of the tea, and offered her the chair next to him. "Not poisoned this time. Good." he quipped, smiling at her. There were a lot of possibilities, but each one raised their own questions. Now that he was dead and would no longer be targeted, he was free to explore each in turn. "But enough of that. I would like it if you would sit and keep me company a while. Not often we get to just be people, you and I." he invited. Mistresses and thieves rarely had time to simply relax, and for Lorna and Callawyn it was no exception. But, now that he was dead, Callawyn figured it would be nice to enjoy it for a moment. How often was it that one became free of all his debts and obligations, his fears and facades?

"I have been thinking the same thing. Sadly I think I now how it happened." she sighed softly but laughed softly at his comment as he sipped the tea. She arched her brow and gave him an encourageable look before she went back to the table and made herself a cup of tea before taking the offered seat. She leaned back into the plush cushions and closed her eyes as she lifted the cup to her lips. The combination of the aromatic tea, warmth from the fire and the pleasant company was more relaxing than it had any right to be.

"Most of the time, being 'just people' is too boring for me. However, given the recent excitement in our lives, I think I can live with being just a person for a night, especially if it is your company I am enjoying." glanced over at him from the corner of her eye and smiled against the cup that rested against her lips. "Other than dealing with the Fratres, now that you are free, what are your plans for life? No one outside of ourselves and the Dolls knows you are alive. You could start completely over." there was a part of her that dreaded the idea of him starting a new life that might take him out of her life completely.

Callawyn pondered the question for a moment. "I think Alfonse will be what he is, a hopeful apothecary looking to learn the trade. However, I've been doing what I do for far to long to give it up now. I think, after all this is over, Santos needs another ghost protecting it from the Big Bad Inquisition. Or rather, another shade to take the lives and coin, mostly the coin, of those who threaten our kind. Besides," he continued, "Being normal again would be boring, and I'd have few chances to feed without drawing too much attention. Not to mention that all the best friends are on the darker end of the moral spectrum." he remarked, giving Lorna sly wink.

Suddenly, his brow furrowed. "Hey, I have a question. You're a kitsune. You hide your ears and tail with glamours." he looked quizzically over at Lorna. "Does it make them turn invisible or go away altogether? I never see any trace of your tail, not even a little strain against those close-fitting dresses you often wear." he inquired. "Not that this is an elaborate way to excuse the fact that I often admire your ass. I admire your ass because you have a magnificent ass. I just wonder how the hell you get a dress to fit that closely to your curves without betraying that you have a tail." He smiled mischievously, still with genuine curiosity in his eyes.

She chuckled at his answer, a small wave of relief washing over her at hearing that he would not be going anywhere any time soon. He was right of course, the Inquisition was gaining more and more ground in Santos by the day and there was nothing she could really do about it as she was supposed to be neutral ground. Losing someone like Callawyn from the fight would have cost practitioners dearly. "I am glad to hear that you will be sticking around for some time, no matter what form you choose. I'm sure Alfonse shares many of your....talents and I know of a couple of Dolls, who are in morning of 'losing' Callawyn, that will enjoy those skills immensely."

She arched a brow at his question and laughed softly, her ears twitching in response to her mirth. "I'm honestly surprised it has taken you this long to ask such a question my dear. The answer is both actually. Depending on the situation I can make them completely disappear or just appear to be gone. That tattoos are a different story. They are always there, though they are not always visible. They are a magic all their own and my glamour can only hide them. If one is observant enough, and lucky enough to touch me, they would still be able to feel the raised skin where the tattoos are." To demonstrate, she offered her arm for him to feel, dark crimson colored tattoos decorating her lower arm and the back of her hand suddenly disappearing.

Callawyn traced his fingers down the length of her arm, noting how the skin raised wherever the tattoos would show without her hiding them. "Interesting. Reminds me a bit of how I used my powers to obscure my features. Being a living shadow makes hiding one's features remarkably simple. Forming a second skin, however, takes a great deal more concentration."

Cal finished his tea, setting the cup on the small table between him and Lorna. "You mentioned you may know how the poisoned items got into that room?" he asked, staring back at the fire. May as well try to get this over with as quickly as possible, so they could go back to their normal lives. Being rid of the Fratres would help all of Santos, and would make it easier for Callawyn to do his thing. The first step was finding whoever put the poison there. Through them, they would find and kill the rest of the brotherhood.

She suppressed a shiver at the feeling of his fingers against her arm then drew it back to her side once they lifted from her skin. "Making my ears, tail and the tattoos appear gone is much easier than when I make my ears and tail completely disappear." she finished her own tea and placed her cup next to his. "I must confess, unless I am entertaining someone myself, or going outside the Den, I don't bother with it as it takes too much out of me. It tends to leave me drained, which leaves me defenseless." The fact that she would allow him with such information spoke of how much she trusted him.

She sighed softly, resting her head against the back of the chair, her long lashes dark against her cheeks. "I believe someone has promised one of my Dolls something that I denied them." her eyes opened slowly, their golden hues glowing as firelight danced before them.

Callawyn had to stifle a chuckle. "Really now? You've taken better care of your Dolls than many mothers I've met have of their own children." He turned to her, eyebrow raised rather high. "It must've been quite the thing for them to extend to such betrayal in exchange for it." He couldn't figure it out. They had a safe place to sleep, food to eat, clothes to wear, and someone who cared deeply for them. What could have possibly been the incentive? Money? Power? Freedom from the profession? Not many things would cause a person to betray the person who gave them a second chance at life.

She turned her head slightly and gave him a small smile. She appreciated that he had noticed how much she cared for those under her care. "In a way, they are like my children. I take them in when no others will, some so young that I practically raise them, and I teach them to the best of my abilities. But sometimes what I offer to teach is not enough." she lifted her hand, the jewels at her wrist flashing as she made a gesture with her hand causing the fire before her to flare brighter, it's color turning from orange to blue then back again.

"It's the only reason I can think of that would cause one of my Dolls to risk betraying me. If they wished to leave, they could do so, taking a goo amount of gold with them depending on how long they've been with me. " she clenched her fist and the fire died completely, casting most of the room into darkness. "They will soon learn that betraying me is worth no amount of gold or power, no matter who promised it to them."

Callawyn stared calmly at the smoldering ashes, eyes almost immediately adjusting to the sudden darkness. He felt sorry for the poor bastard who had crossed Lorna. "We'll have to interrogate them first, see what they know about the assassins. Then you can make an example of them." he reasoned. They would need any and all information they could get if they wanted to track down those responsible. Cal wasn't certain what Lorna planned to do to the traitor, but he didn't want to risk them dying before he had a chance to get the information he needed.

"Do you already know the one responsible?" he asked, turning to face her.

With a flick of her wrist, the fire reignited, though it was lower, the smooth steady light casting a more intimate glow about the room. Lorna took a deep breath and let it out slowly, trying her best to calm down and redirect the power that she had called in her moment of unchecked fury. True, her powers hadn't been completely unchecked as that would have possibly resulted in the entire room being engulfed in flames, but she had let her hurt get the best of her for a small amount of time and she wasn't happy about that. Callawyn was right, of course; they needed to question the person responsible before she doled out any type of punishment and that would be made harder if she let her emotions get the best of her. "Forgive my outburst, of course we will question them before they are dealt with in a more permanent manner."

She was fairly positive she knew who was responsible, and the idea that someone who was so close to her all the time, whom she cared for probably more than any of the others, made her chest tighten. She didn't trust any of her Doll's completely, but there were a few that she trusted above all the others. Perhaps, after all of this was over, she would need to purge the brothel of a number of Dolls and start over fresh. There were always young men and women looking for work and places to stay. If she did that she would not make the same mistake of letting any of them get close or give them even a small portion of her trust.

Had Callawyn died or been permanently injured, it was quite likely sh would have burned all of Santos to the ground in her anger and grief. She was glad for the lower light as a faint blush spread over her pale cheeks at that thought. Yes, she considered Callawyn a true friend, something she never thought she would allow herself to have. If she was honest, she really just never expected someone in her position to be able to afford to have a friend like Cal, but here they were. Of course, ever since his poisoning she had come to suspect and in part except that she might care a bit more for him than just as a close friend, which was something she really couldn't afford to let herself feel.

She nodded her head finally, knowing that she would have to share her suspicions sooner or later. Better to now draw it out. "Lillian." The name was all she had to say. He would know how hard it was for her to admit that to him, given how close the girl was to her Mistress. She had even helped take care of Callawyn when he was ill, even though that illness was of her own doing.

Lillian. Figures. Only the trickiest person or the most trusted would have been able to access the room on their own. A dark, heavy silence filled the room. He was sure it pained her to have to admit it was her closest and most trusted attendant was the one who orchestrated the betrayal. It was only natural she would hide her attempts by assisting in their recovery to hide her involvement in the very affliction she was assisting in the treatment of. After the poison failed, a brunt attack would have been suicide, even with himself all but totally incapacitated and Lorna relatively unawares of her being the perpetrator. "Send her to my room, I'll interrogate her. Do not let her on to the true purpose of her being sent there, make it seem as if you are merely sending her to be a nightly companion. Do not betray that we suspect her. After I've learned all I can, you have free reign on how you wish to punish her." he instructed, getting up. "I'll be in my room, awaiting her arrival."

Callawyn made himself appear to be Alfonse and left the room, thanking Lorna for her company and generosity after learning of such a tragedy, and promising not to be much of a burden to her. He made his way into what was Cal's usual room, and returned to his typical appearance, awaiting Lillian's arrival.

Lorna sighed softly and nodded, knowing that Cal is the best one of the two of them to do the interrogation because he was less emotionally involved. Her eyes followed his movements and she followed suit, lifting herself out of the chair gracefully and making her way to the secret door. She nodded to Callawyn and watched as he left, then left herself and made her way towards her room, where she knew Lillian was waiting. It wasn't common knowledge, but Lorna knew where her Dolls were at all times. Most people would think that the decorative collars, necklaces, and bracelets each girl or boy wore were just accents to their outfits, but they were actually tracking devices that she had given each the day that they completed their training. Even the Dolls themselves didn't know their true purpose.

She entered the room and wasn't surprised to see the girl in question laying against the pillows and sheets of her bed. Lillian was a beautiful girl, no one could debate that. She had long black hair that shown with a purple tint in the sun and bring green eyes. She was slender but had curves where all the men wished them to be, and her skin was a milky pale color that looked extremely enticing against the dark colors of the silk that covered her large bed. Lorna moved across the room slowly, a small smile spreading across her face as she stood next to the bed and trailed her fingers up the girls uncovered leg, over her naked hip and side till she reached the girl's chin, which she cups gently and gazes down at her lovingly. "You didn't need to wait up for me, but I am glad you did." the girls face lite up and Lorna forced herself to give Lillian a sorrowful look. "As much as I would like to keep you here with me tonight, I need you to tend to Callawyn tonight. He wishes to thank you for everything that you did when he was ill. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself and you may return to my bed tomorrow." A look flashed across the girl's face, almost too fast for Lorna to follow but she had seen it. She would let Callawyn do the interrogation, but while he did that, she would watch his back.

"Of course Mistress." she slid from Lorna's bed and dressed before she made her way out of the room. Lorna closed her eyes and sighed deeply, breathing deeply to help calm herself before she made sure the room was locked physically and magically and then left, making her way to the room where she knew Callawyn was waiting for Lillian. She didn't bother knocked as she slipped into the room, just in case Lillian was already there. She wasn't so Lorna gave Callawyn a nod before touching the wall of the room. She concentrated and sent her magic through the walls, making the already soundproof room even more so. Once that was done, she moved a plush chair into a corner that was hidden by shadow. A knock sounded at the door, signaling Lillian's arrival and with a wave of her hand, Lorna and the chair seemed to disappear.

Callawyn noted Lorna's entry, using some of his own shadepower to cloak her deeper. He opened the door as Lillian knocked, acting as if nothing at all was different from what she was expecting. He removed his shirt, showing off his well-toned figure and numerous scars. As the door shut as locked behind her, he pinned the girl to it seductively, arms above her head, his grip only tight enough to hold her there, but she could break free if she was uncomfortable. A courtesy usually extended to the Dolls he spent the night with.

He trailed his tongue up the side of her neck, from the collarbone to the jawline, drawing out a long sigh of excitement from the girl. "Lillian," he purred, voice heavy with seductive tones. "Lillian. Lillian. I've always loved how that name rolled so easily off the tongue." He smirked, flashing off his razor grin that promised as much pleasure as pain. He pulled closer to her, pressing her against the door with his whole body, rather than just his hands. He placed his lips close to Lillian's ear, whispering. "We know of your deception, Lillian." His muscles became taut as his grip tightened from a sexual restraint to a more aggressive one. "This will be your first, and only, chance to tell us everything you know about the attempted murder of both the Madame and I." He stared directly into the girls eyes, sternness and compassion on his face. "You were the only other one with direct access to that room without prior consent from your mistress. Confess now, and I'll do everything I can to convince Madame Vixen to go easy on you when she punishes you for your treachery. Resist me, and neither of us will hold anything back in dealing with you."

Lorna watched from her shielded corner as the two interacted. She saw the brief flash of hatred in the Dolls eyes as she met Callawyn's gaze, but also saw the shiver of anticipation and desire as he played his part well. She believed, at least for now, that all he was interested in was bedding and perhaps feeding from her. She had known, though Lillian had tried hard to hide it, that the girl didn't like the shapeshifter. She hadn't been completely unaware as to the reason, but her feelings for Callawyn were not something she liked to admit to herself and had never spoken about to anyone, let alone one of her Dolls. She had to give Lillian credit where it was due. It seems she had been more aware of her mistress' feelings then Lorna had herself. Of course, Callawyn had only been the icing on the cake, the straw that had finally broken the beautiful girls back. Lillian had come to her once, not too long ago and had asked, begged, for the kitsune to teach her the magical arts. Lorna had denied her this, saying that she wasn't old enough, wasn't mature or ready to learn the things that Lorna knew. Lillian had accepted this with grace at the time, but it seemed that the Flame had offered her that which had been denied her, plus the chance to win her mistress' heart. Lorna didn't condone what she had done, but she understood her motivations.

When Callawyn's tone changed, she watched her former attendants face, searching for fear or regret and saw neither. She didn't even flinch at the threat in his words, though her lips did press more firmly together, indicating to Lorna that they weren't going to get much if anything out of the girl with niceties. Lorna found that she was a bit sad that she would lose Lillian. She had cared for the girl, more than most of the other Dolls, had thought to eventually take her under wing as Rose had once done to her and perhaps pass the Den off to her once Lorna had grown tired of the Inquisitions games and had decided to disappear, But it seemed that was not to be. She leaned back in the chair and rested her chin on a balled fist and watched the shapeshifter and whore with a mixture of sadness, anger, and disappointment at the waste of it all, at what the war would cost all of them.

Lillian's green eyes flashed in anger as man's attitude and tone changed, turning more aggressive, but not in his usual sexual manner. Before she had started hating him, she had enjoyed his attentions and his bed games, but recently she had just tolerated him when she had seen to him, which hadn't been often as he seemed to have an appetite that changed every time he was here. His whispered words caused her pulse to race and her pale skin to pale a little more, but she refused to show the fear and panic she was feeling outwardly. She wouldn't give him that satisfaction. She knew, sooner or later, once her plan had failed, that the Mistress would have found out about what she had done. The Mistress always found out. She laughed silently, amused by her own blindness. She had been a fool to think that killing the shapeshifter would have made room in the Madam's heart for her. Once there she had hoped to approach her once again to become her apprentice in magic. But everything had gone so very wrong.

She tilted her chin upward in defiance as she met Callawyn's gaze with one filled with contempt and hatred. The corner of her mouth lifted slightly before she pursed her lips and spat in his face, a feeling of satisfaction at the sound of the fluid slapping against his cheek. Let him do his worse and then hand her over to her beloved Mistress. She would be glad to die by her hand. "I have no words for you." The last word dripped with venom as she spoke. She would admit to and give him nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Callawyn reflexively frowned as the spit his his face. Still holding her tight, he wiped his cheek with his free hand, sighing deeply. "Truly, I have nothing against you other than that you tried to kill me. Normally, I would offer a second chance to fess up. But I already said that was your last chance, and I'm a man of my word, so..." he dropped his grip, swiftly moving his hand from her arms to her face, pulling it away from the door and rapidly back against it, releasing and letting her head bounce off of the door. As she was disoriented by the blow, he pulled her away from the door by her hair, kneed her in gut, and kicked the back of her leg, bringing her down to her knees. He pushed her all the way to the floor with his foot, then stepped on the back of her neck, pinning her.

"Domination." he growled. "Domination is the way of feral men and smart beasts. The tool of the strong and the fate of the weak. For the victim, it usually ends in subjugation, death, or rape. Lucky for you, I'm not fond of the latter, and your death helps no one. Maybe I'll just beat you until you talk." He stepped back, then forward, delivering a swift kick to her ribs. "Make wounds, then salt them." Another kick. "Bleed you until you come within an inch of the sweet release of death, and then bring you back." He bent down, grabbing a fist full of Lillian's hair and forcing her to her feet, making her stare in the corner Lorna was in. He growled into her ear, "Or maybe I'll let you see the disappointment in your mistress' eyes?"

The shadows parted like a curtain, revealing that Lorna had seen the whole thing.

Lillian cried out, though she tried her best not to, tears beginning to form in the corners of her eyes. He was brutal, she had known he could be from the stories she had heard him tell the Mistress and stories the Mistress herself had told, but hearing stories and experiencing them were two totally different things. She made small noises in the back of her throat as he assaulted her body, and she took that pain and held it close, her hatred of him growing with every kick, every word. This wasn't the first time she had been beaten. Granted, it was the first time since she had come to the Den. The Mistress took good care of her Dolls, and never let anyone get away with hurting or breaking one. She tried to curl in on herself, shielding what she could from his blows as her mind wandered, trying to distract her from the pain.

She had often wondered if the Mistress only cared about them because they brought her money and secrets, but Lillian knew better, knew first hand that the Madam genuinely cared for those under her roof. Sure some of it was because, without her Dolls, she had no services to offer, but the Madam had always been kind and gentle with them, unless they had done something wrong, and even then, the punishment had always been appropriate and had never been more than the Doll had deserved. She coughed roughly, blood splattering against the floor and covering her lips as he hauled her up off the floor and positioned her to face a darkened corner. His words sent a chill through her body, her eyes wide as the shadows parted, revealing her beloved Mistress.

Golden eyes started out of the corner. Though Callawyn had parted the shadows that had hidden her, the corner was still dark, so all that Lillian would be able to see clearly were her eyes. Eyes, that for the briefest of moments held disappointment, hurt, and anger, then turned cold. Cold emotionless eyes that seemed to glow in the darkness. She looked at the girl as if she were nothing, just a worthless piece of trash that was being dealt with before it stunk up her home. She lifted her chin slightly, her eyes flicking to Callawyn's before moving back to Lillian's emerald green orbs. She held those orbs for must have seemed like hours to the abused girl before she turned her head slightly as if dismissing her. Lillian gave a wail of dismay, her fingers reaching for Lorna, but she kept her head turned to the side and refused to acknowledge her.

"M....Mistress......." the girl gasped, her voice raspy and harsh sounding. "Mistress please...don't.....don't let him....." she gave a soft cry of pain that told Lorna that Callawyn must have broken something with one of his kicks and the girls struggled to reach her had jarred something painfully. Still, she showed no reaction. "Don't, I mean any........anything.....to you?"

That got Lorna's attention, and though she answered, she still did not look at the girl. "Perhaps once, a girl who looked like you might have meant something to me, but that girl is gone, has been gone for a while I think. You....I don't know you, and I do not care for those I do not know."

Lorna's coldness bit even him. He was cruel, but h could only ever hurt someone's body. He'd never been close enough to someone to hurt them emotionally. At least, not that he was aware of. Callawyn turned his attention back to Lillian. "Perhaps you can redeem yourself if you confess." He shoved her forward, letting her drop to the floor as he turned away. "I don't seem to be getting anything out of you, and this wasn't the first attempt on my life, so I've had my satisfaction." He picked up his shirt and put it on, buttoning it casually. "Lorna, it looks like I have to lave her to you. I'm going to go work out the rest of my frustration on another Doll, in a fashion more... appropriate to the venue." He winked slyly and left the room to pursue a companion for the rest of the evening, giving Lorna the solitude to deal with the treacherous Lillian.

Status
Not open for further replies.