Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally feeling settled enough to emerge and drink the tonic. "Fire Lilly, eh? Two groups come to mind- the first, the Botanists Guild to the south, and the other and far more likely suspect, the Fratres Occulti Flamma, the Brothers of the Hidden Flame. An assassin fraternity that carries out Holy Purges when the Inquisition has no grounds to. They use the fire lilly in various ways to poison their victims, symbolic of a cleansing fire to burn away the so-called corruption spread by Practitioners like you, and abominations like me. It seems our local Inquisitors are on to us." He looked pretty confident as he said this, certain they had found the culprits. He inhaled deeply, in triumph, walked calmly over to the bucket by his favored chair, kneeled down to it, and proceeded to fill the bucket almost a third with a mixture of vomit and blood. After the spew had ended, he curled up in fetal position, clutching his head in agony. His organs were feeling significantly better, but now he had a migraine and and was starving for fresh blood.

This was the kind of hunger that drained a whole man- or a few pints from a handful of them. It was bestial, all-consuming, primordial. He hadn't needed to feed like this since he refused to feed after... the first time. He was on Lorna in seconds, having picked her up by the waist and pinned her to an empty space on the wall, knocking down a picture and slightly damaging the corner of the frame. He had already sunk his canines into the side of her neck and was drinking before he could process the situation on more than a base level, anticoagulants in his saliva making the blood flow easily. Half a pint already taken. A pint. A pint and a half. Callawyn forced himself to relinquish his maw's grip on Lorna's neck, still breathing heavily and filled with a need for more. He was glad to see he hadn't struck anything major with his attack. He released her and brushed off his shirt, trying to maintain a gentlemanly composure, despite the pounding in his head, the ringing in his ears, and the ravenous gnawing of his unsated appetite. "My sincerest apologies, Madame Vixen," he managed to express without stumbling over his words, "I seem to have lost control of myself in a base desire to regain the blood I have lost thus far."

Though she had expected something like this to happen, given the amount of blood he had lost, his sudden movement caught her off guard. She gasped in pain, and to be honest a bit of excitement, as she was pinned against the wall, the damaged edge of the picture frame digging slightly into her side. She knew better than to fight or pull away from him, that would only do more damage to herself, and cause him to become even more aggressive. As he started to feed from her, she relaxed against him, tilting her head to the side slightly to make it easier for him and less likely that something would tear. She slowly draped her arms around his shoulders, running her nails over his shoulder blades and upper back, both to keep herself calm and to help calm him down. When he pulled away she stayed pressed against the wall, her eyes never leaving him as she watched him struggle with his urges and his needs. When he made gestures to straighten his rumpled clothing, she arched a brow in amusement. When he used her full formal title and apologized, she shook her head and made to take a step forward, but stumbled, catching herself on the back of a near by chair. She blinked back the darkness that threatened to overcome her. Once the wave of dizziness had passed she straightened up slowly, her golden eyes locking with his.

"You need to feed Callawyn, we both know that. The Den is on lock down till I can find the person who slipped us the poison and I am the only one where who can survive a feeding this intense. Besides, the magic in my blood will help in your recovery" she took the last few steps needed to place herself in front of him. She tilted her head to the side, exposing the still weeping punctures on her neck. "Take me to the bed Callawyn and take what you need. I offer you my life's blood freely."

Callawyn thought for a moment, hesitant. There was the possibility she could die from the bloodloss. Though, she was inherently magic, her blood would work to replace itself rapidly even as he took it from her. She had several vampiric customers she saw to personally, and vampires often drank a lot when they feed, often not succumbing to the hunger until the moment blood touches their lips. "As you wish." He smirked, picking her up while licking up the blood trailing down her neck. Laying her down on the bed nearby, he listened as the servants took the cue and left the room, likely to wait just outside for further instruction. His canines fit perfectly back into the punctures in the side of her neck, opening them back up to allow better blood flow. He drank slower now, giving her body more time to create blood as he took it so he didn't drain her dry. As he sucked the blood from her veins, he found his hands wandering over her body, tracing her curves. The taste, the feel, the scent, the radiating power, it was... intoxicating.

After a short while he had had his fill, and rolled off of her. "Thank you," he sighed with satisfaction, "I haven't needed to feed like that in... in a long while. I'll make sure to repay you some time."

[BCOLOR=#000000]She knew he was strong and that she weighed next to nothing, but he picked her up so effortlessly, she couldn't help but smile. When he lay her down on the bed he was overly gentle, probably trying to make up for the rough treatment he had given her just moments ago. She saw Lillian and another Doll bow and leave the room, as they had been taught when she was entertaining a guest. They would wait inside a special room that had been set aside for occasions such as this as well as when she needed someone to listen in on conversation and record them for later use. A soft sigh escaped her escaped her lips as he slid his teeth back into bite he had placed there earlier. There had been a bit of pain with the initial bite, but this time it actually felt pleasant.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000] She tilted her head to the side, allowing for a more comfortable position for her and better access for him as he feed, running her hands and nails over his sides as backs as he took what he needed. His touches made her murrs softly, a sound much like that of a cats coming from deep in her throat. She felt a wave of her magic pass over her, helping to replenish her blood even as he continued to drink. That power would also flow into him as he drank, adding to it's healing effects. He pulled away gently just as she was starting to feel lightheaded and she opened golden eyes to look at him through long lashes. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=#000000]"You are most welcome Callawyn."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=#000000] her voice was soft and tired sounding. The bloodletting had taken more out of her than she thought it would, but it was nothing that a potion or two and a little rest wouldn't cure with the help of her powers. "Believe me, I will hold you to that. Not even my vampire customers are permitted to take as much as you just did. Then again, if any of them had treated me as you did a moment ago, the only way they would have left the Den would have been in a jar, as ash." she gave a throaty laugh, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath to clear her head and concentrate a bit on moving the magic faster through her body. "Now that we know what's in the poison, I should be able to mix up a little something to remove it completely from your system. You took enough of my blood that most of it should have been countered, but the antidote will make sure there are no lingering effects. My blood will also take of of any long term problems you might have had because of it."[/BCOLOR]

A pang struck Callawyn in the back of his mind, whispering with a soft growl as it dragged it's claws across the steel of a wall and flicked it's forked tongue in his direction, you are indebted to her. Callawyn had no fear that the Madame would hold him to to harsh a repayment, but he had never been one to willingly go in to debt to anyone. Although, Callawyn had needed it. Rolling off of her, shifted his weight and his thoughts and sat on the edge of the bed. Mysteries of what and who were put aside. They knew what, they had a pretty good idea of who. The why was almost too obvious. The now had been resolved. What troubled him now was the next. Where would he go next? Where would he look next? What would he do next? The Fratres Occulti Flamma needed to be hunted down and eliminated. Callawyn wasn't the only to know Madame Vixen hadn't been hit by an Inquisition raid due to deals struck with Inquisitors regarding information and "morale boosts." They wanted her dead, but needed her. But to strike one's ally, even if the relationship was unstable, was unlike even the Inquisition. They were ruthless and brutal, but one could not call them dishonorable. Most of the time. Seems the fire had gone wild. He supposed that's what happens happens when you give an order of assassins a religious doctrine and free reign to strike as they saw fit, so long as they answered to their superiors.

Cal wiped the blood from his chin and strode over to his gear, left on the table. "You may come back now," he called to the Dolls who had exited the room. He checked everything, making certain everything he kept on him was there. He didn't have to worry about too many gems or other valuables, as the ones he kept for himself were stashed away. He checked the few knives, as well as assuring his sidesword was in good condition. All his poisons in their proper pouches, his pocket money counted as he left it.

"After you finish purging the poison from me, I'm going to head out, hit a few places, do some surveillance on those newcomers you mentioned earlier, and ask in a few taverns if Inquisition activity has increased at all."

[BCOLOR=#000000]She saw a slight change wash across his face, and a moment later it was gone. Something had occurred to him, and whatever that something had been he hadn't liked it. She slowly pushed herself to into a seated position and watched him as he sat on the edge of her bed, his mind obviously working work figure out what their next step would be. She closed her eyes briefly to keep from becoming dizzy, reopening her eyes when she felt his weight lift from the bed. She watched him walk across the room wondering what was going through his head when she saw Lillian and a male Doll named Keyan walk into the room. As soon as they spotted her and her current disheveled state they made their way over to her. They started fussing and she shooed them away, but they stayed near the bed in case she needed them.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]She closed her eyes but Callawyn still held her attention. "Be mindful of the places you go and the people who see you Cal. The [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=#000000]Fratres Occulti Flamma[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=#000000] are a prideful bunch who have no doubts when it comes to their skills in killing. They will think that you at the very least are dead." Golden orbs opened to stare at him from across the room. She motioned to Lillian, who began wrapping a cotton bandage around Lorna's neck. "Perhaps it's best if they continue to think that." once she was patched up, Keyan helped her out of bed and she made her way over to her work table, making sure to walk slowly as to not make the room spin.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]She continued to talk as she mixed the potion he needed. "There are so many doors that open to one when their enemies thing they are dead. Maybe you should leave the newcomers be, at least for the moment, and focus on the Flamma and the Inquisition." she poured ingredients into a cauldron and lit the fire with a snap of her fingers. "The newcomers did not give the impression that they were leaving anytime soon so they can wait." Once the potion was done she poured it into a glass and walked over to him and offered it to him. "Our safety on the other hand, can't." Once he had taken the glass from her she place her hand on his arm and looked up at him. "Keep yourself safe and we will call any debt between us even." she let her hand slip away as she made her way back to her sleeping chambers.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]Not caring that Callawyn was able to see from his place i her office, she allowed Lillian slip her dress from her shoulders and helped her into a bath that had been filled by Keyan with steaming water while she had been working on the potion. She slipped down into the water and gave a soft sigh as it moved over her body. Once she was submerged up to her chest, she leaned back in the tub and looked across the room at the man who was the closest thing to a friend as she had. She knew she cared for him, but those were feelings she had to forget and put behind her. It was dangerous for someone in her line of work to care for people, as those people had a tendency to end up dead.[/BCOLOR]

Callawyn sighed, the intensely focused expression on his face melting into his usual cool, collected, mildly arrogant smirk accented by half-lidded, cunning eyes glimmering an animal yellow as the light shone in them. She was right, as usual. It was best for both of them if he was "dead." And he could pull it off, too. "Hold a funeral for me. Bury me under a tree near my old farm. If it suits you, I'll move my cache here, and hide my gear. The only people who know my face are in this building. Anyone else I interact with only see my face like words in a dream- there, but hazy and difficult to remember. My sword is of average design, I can keep that on me. I become just another man amongst the rabble." he formulated, turning to face Lorna directly. He looked exactly as he wanted to. A handsome man with a mischievous look in middle-class clothing. The only unique features were the eyes and the teeth, but there were quite a few shadeshifters in the city aside from Callawyn.

"If they think I'm dead, they'll probably leave you alone. Then it's a matter of working from the shadows. I'll have to re-acquaint myself with my old contacts, but I can pull it off. Just make sure your Dolls are aware of the change, and to never address me by my name again. I'll need to think of a new alias, but it wouldn't be the first time." he resolved. This affair would not be easy, and it would not be quick. But he had no doubts they could pul it off.

[BCOLOR=#090909]Her smile was cunning in the way only a foxes can be. She liked this idea as it would probably guarantee her safety and his. She nodded as he spoke, picking up a cloth that hung on the side of the tub and started to wash her body, the scent of her lavender and vanilla soap filling the room. "Though I would love to hold a funeral for you, the likes of which Santos or even Gaera has ever seen, I think a low key affair will do, though I will make sure that all the right people hear of it." She rinsed off the soap and motioned for Lillian to approach with a pitcher of water, which she poured gently over her mistress' head. Once her hair was wet enough she started to massage the shampoo into her wheat blonde hair, her eyes never leaving Callawyn. She approved of the new look, her golden eyes gleaming, though she would miss the Callawyn she had grown to care for. However, his most striking feature, his eyes, were still the same, and that made her happy.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#090909]"I think once they see that I, at least, didn't fall prey to their poison, they'll think twice about messing with me anyway. I will be sure to call all the Dolls for a meeting once you are gone about your business. What name would you have them call you by then? Or would you prefer to become a new customer added to the books? That might look better, as I purposefully leave a decoy book where anyone could read it if they tried hard enough. A new name added to the countless pages of the book wouldn't look suspicious." Once she was done working up a lather, Lillian rinsed it with another pitcher of water. When her hair and body were free of bubbles, Lorna stood and stepped out of the tub with Keyan's assistance, who then wrapped a towel around her waist and handed her a towel for her hair. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#090909]She made her way over to her office and Callawyn, moving the towel over her hair in an effort to try it. "It will sadden me to say goodbye to the name and body you had, but I must say I do like the looks over the new you very much. Maybe I'll get a chance to help you test it out sometime. We never did get around to playing before." she ran the tip of her nail over one shoulder, over the back of his neck to the other as she made her way to a cabinet beside the picture that hid her safe. She opened it and seemed to be counting something before she found what she was looking for. When she drew hew hand out, a ornate looking key hung from her nail. She turned back around and offered the key to him. "As you said, you can move you're things here. You and I will be the only ones to have a key to your room. It's a rather large room on this floor, which is where the suites are. They're rarely used since no one can seem to afford the price, mores the pity, but it should serve your needs."[/BCOLOR]

Callawyn smiled, locking eyes with her as she approached. "Excellent. I'll shadewalk to my safehouse, grab my equipment, and return under cover of darkness. Hold my funeral under the moonlight, the event will be visited by the late Mr. Harrowfelled's childhood friend, Alfonse Tintineret, an apothecary from Saedara, the city to the southwest of here. He came to reconnect with his friend, who he last heard became a farmer, only to find the man's funeral. To fill the new hole in his heart, he fills the space in his bed."

He turned to leave, eyes glowing a faint red as his skin turned to black wisps of smoke. "And Lorna," he paused, looking back, "don't think for a second I didn't hear you call me your friend earlier." He strutted out of the room with a cocky gait as his form faded into wisps and shadows.

Last edited:
[BCOLOR=#090909]She nodded as he gave her his instructions. She would start preparations for the funeral as soon as Callawyn was safely away. She watched as he began to walk away, a part of her heartbroken to see him leave. His last comment caught her off guard, causing her to smile and shake her head at the place he had once been.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#090909]"Damn him." she laughed softly and gestured to Lillian, who stepped up beside her mistress. "We have a wedding to prepare for my dear."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#090909]***[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#090909]It took a few days to arrange everything, and Lorna had wanted to wait for the full moon to raise before having the funeral. As he had asked, Loran 'buried' Callawyn under a tree, a willow tree to be exact, near the farm he had once called him. There was a small crowd in attendance, some only there to see the elusive Madam Vixen as she didn't leave the Den very often. The others were her Dolls posing as family and acquaintances of the late Callawyn Harrowfelled, the towns folk none the wiser.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#090909]Lorna stood quietly, her extremely form fitting outfit leaving none of her curves to the imagination. Her ears, tail and tattoos were hidden of course and she wore her hair up in a stylish manner with a small top hat sitting askew on her head. She heard some of the people whispering, wondering how the death of a lowly farmer could have warranted the Madam's attendance, causing people to question his character. She listened with annoyance to these people and had to bite her tongue not to say anything to them. As the minister she had hired read the last rights, her Dolls came up and placed small bundles of foxglove on the casket then turned and made their way back into town where they would return to the Den discreetly.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#090909]Though she knew him to be alive and well, Lorna couldn't help but let a few tears fall from her eyes, the moisture trailing down her cheeks as she approached the box that was supposed to hold her friend. "Goodbye Callawyn, may you find peace, joy and maybe even love in the next life." she placed her own flowers on the box then turned to leave, ignoring the curious and searching eyes of the others gathered.[/BCOLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
The man approached from the rear of the gathering, his expression a mix of confusion, awe, and the weariness of travelling. A small knapsack was slung over his shoulder, his white shirt and leather boots weather-worn, hair matted to his head by sweat and mud. "Is this," he called to the crowd, swallowing hard, "Is this the grave of Callawyn Harrowfelled?" His shoulders hung limp with despair.

"Afraid so, friend." responded a member of the crowd, a man with a thick Scandinavian accent. "Kin of yours?"

"A friend." the newcomer responded. "We knew each other as children." A moment of silence passed. "I take it there's an inn nearby?" The man who had answered him now only offered a nod and pointed at the town. The man walked off solemnly,heading for Santos. One by one, the attendees of the funeral followed him.

She paused when she heard a voice ask if the grave belonged to Callaway. She tilted her head and inhaled deeply and even with all the other attendees, she recognized his scent. She turned slightly and eyed the newcomer. He expressed interest in a Inn and Lorna saw her chance to act. As the crowd moved closer she stepped into the man's path, her face a mask of morning with a hint of curiosity.

"You said you were a friend of Callawyns? If that is true, perhaps I can provide you with a room? My accommodations are much more comfortable than the local Inn and I would appreciate the opportunity to get to know even an old friend of Cal's. I'm Madam Vixen, owner of the Fox Den." She held out her hand to the stranger.

An angry voice from the crowded shouted at her. "Have you no shame woman. This man's friend is dead and you try to lure him into your house of sin!" Whispers broke out in the crowd, but Lorna kept her smile cool and welcoming. "Why are you even here. Callawyn was just a farmer who would never have associated with the likes of you and your whores!"

Still she kept her cool, only having eyes for the stranger. "Even whores can have friends. The offer stands Sir, if it pleases you. Just tell my doorman, Felix that I am expecting you." She bowed her head and gave him a small smile then turned to walk away. Once she was sure no one could see her face, her smile fell and was replaced by anger and pain. Damn the towns people and their words. It didn't matter that most of the men in the crowd had been her guest once or twice, some of them were even regulars. They still condemned her. Not that she would ever let them know how their words effected her. To them she would always be the cold and aloof Madam.

Last edited by a moderator:
The man's gaze met her own, and he reached for her hand, interrupted by vicious comments from the crowd that had arose for the funeral. He nodded as Madame Vixen walked away, and he turned his back to the crowd, gently resting it on the hilt of his sidesword, adjusting it so the crowd could see the glint of the silver inlays on the scabbard. "If any of you have a point to make," he stated, indirectly pointed at the few who spoke unkindly, "I would ask that you make it in the manner the leaders of your peaceful and loving faith have: At the tip of a sword."

He strode off with a cocky gait that had an unmistakable air of "go fuck yourself" about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Callawyn gave his usual four solid knocks on the door, and Felix welcomed him in as a new customer. He signed into the decoy book as Alfonse Tintineret, and sat in his usual chair. Though instead of his usual relaxed lounge, he leaned forward, face full of confusion and grief. A Doll went to fetch the Madame as he sat, waiting for Lorna to show. He'd put up the act everywhere but in his and Madame Vixen's rooms, to ensure no one became suspicious of who he really was.

[BCOLOR=#000000]Lorna paced back and forth in her office, waiting for a Doll to tell her that Callawyn had arrived. She was still a bit on edge from the comments that some of the townspeople had made. They didn't know her, or the life she had endured. All they knew was she owned and operated a successful brothel, where many of them were customers. They didn't know how many times she had prevented horrible things from happening in the city because of her other profession, things that likely would have wiped out them and their families. "They don't have any idea….."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]She was pulled from her thoughts by a knock at her door and she made her way to the door and opened it. "Alfonse Tintineret has arrived Madam." the Doll spoke, her head bowed as she delivered the news. Lorna nodded and stepped out of the office and handed the girl an ornate looking key. "Have my personal tea and a small plate of food prepared and taken to the Forest Suite. Once you have done that, leave the key in the room. If I find it is not there when I arrive I will be most displeased with you." the girl turned pale at the serious tone in her voice and nodded before she ran off.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]Lorna sighed then straightened and made her way down the stairs to the the chair Callawyn always preferred. It was a bit unsettling to see someone else in it, though she knew that someone else was still the man she'd always known. She approached slowly, her smile sad and full of grief. "Mr. Tintineret. I wish we were meeting under better circumstances, but I'm pleased that you did not allow the comments of the others sway you from paying me a visit. Please, if you'll follow me, I have a room set up so that we might talk in private and reminisce about our late friend." she motioned him to follow her as she lead him up the stairs, and past her office to an intricately carved door painted a rich hunter green, trimmed in gold. The door was open, and as she entered and held the door open for him, she noticed the key laying on the side table and smiled.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]Once he was inside the room, she shut the door and locked it, pricking her finger and adding a drop of blood to the lock to add another layer of protection to the door. She would need a drop of Callawyn's blood as well so that she could key him into the spell, but she could do that later. The room they were in was filled with wooden furniture of all shades and types, with a massive canopied bed carved from cherry wood against the far wall. Three of the four walls were painted to mimic a forest setting, the wall that held the door painted to match the door. The table in the middle of the room was made of a dark oak and on it was a pot of her personal tea, the kind the Callawyn preferred, and a small tray of assorted sandwiches and biscuits. She walked over to the table and lifted the lid of the pot and sniffed the liquid inside, her golden eyes closed as she concentrated on the various scents that assaulted her nose. Once she was sure the tea was safe she placed the lid back and turned to look at her guest, arms crossed over her chest.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"I suppose we can call this evening a success." [/BCOLOR]

As Lorna addressed him, Callawyn stood. "Madame Vixen. I wish the same. As for those rabble-rousers, I try not to let the ideas of people I don't know get into my head, especially about people who offer their hospitality." As he followed her down the halls, he glanced around in awe, making several comments about the decorations and how he had "never seen decorations so extravagant" in Saedara. Almost childlike wonder shone in his eyes as he explored the halls visuals, taking care to visibly note the beauty of the Den's occupants, including the Madame.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the door clicked into a lock charm and soundproofing spell, Callawyn let out a sigh of relief as the visage of Alfonse Tintineret melted away and Callawyn resumed to look like his old self. "Agreed. Not as easy holding that for extended periods of time as I thought. A few hours for a job, yeah, but you try holding that kind of disguise up on a walk from Saedara to Santos. And yes, I actually walked." His still-matted hair was testament to that. The features had been shed, the grime remained. One could not so easily fake the dirt of a two-day walk. His thoughts still on the walk, he decided it a good idea to walk over to the liquor cabinet and pour himself a strong drink before flopping into a chair. "I hope you don't mind." he remarked, swirling his glass before downing its contents. They had laid the brickwork for Alfonse's residence in Santos and Callawyn's death. There was no possible way he Fratres Occulti Flamma suspected he was still alive.

"You gathered quite a well-sized crowd of friends and family I've never seen before." he joked.

She waved her fingers in dismissal "Please help yourself. All of the suites come with their own alcohol." She went about preparing tea for herself and proceeded to sit on a lounge chair near the bed. "My dear Callawyn, never underestimate your value. All of my girls and some of the boys were just begging to help, and you're not the only one who can make the familiar unfamiliar." she pulled a small necklace of our her pocket and held it up so that he could see. It was a small black opal, it's many colors shining in the light of the near by lamp. "All it took were some glamour stones." she tilted her head slightly and tossed the necklace she held to him, knowing he would catch it with ease. "If you'd like I can enchant that one to either look like your new persona, or I could enchant it to enhance your powers a bit to make it easier for you to hold the look for longer periods."

Once she was done with her tea, she stood and walked to the table and picked up a small sandwich, biting into it delicately."If you would like, I can have a water fetched for you so that you can bathe. I'm sure after two days on the road you are more than just sore." she laughed softly and walked over to him, placing a hand on his shoulder and kissing his cheek. "I don't mine the look of Alfonse, but I'm glad to have Callawyn back."

He snatched the necklace from the air, instinctively holding it to the light to inspect it to get a read on it's value. The gem itself was gorgeous, the iridescence changing its pattern with every slight movement. "Figures why I didn't recognize any of them. Good to know I left an impression on them other than my hand on their asses." he commented, offering a sly wink and tossing the gem back. "I'd rather it enhanced my own. Partially shadeshifting and using the shade smoke to form a second skin can't be seen through easily. A charm just takes a strong practitioner or an anti-mage." He relaxed into his chair, enjoying the rest.

Cal perked up at the prospect of a hot bath. The muck he didn't mind too much, he had dealt with worse before. The problem was that all of his muscles ached furiously. "Please," he almost begged as she kissed his cheek. "For as long as I've been at it, I'll never truly get used to being a shadeshifter. I've got aches in muscles that don't even exist." he joked, ruffling his hair to dislodge some of the dirt.

[BCOLOR=#090909]She laughed softly at the pleading in his voice and she went over to the hidden door and opened it, speaking in hushed tones to a Doll that stood on the other side. A few minutes later three male Dolls came into the room, each carrying a large bucket of steaming water. Two were poured into the large claw foot tub, while the other was set by the fireplace. As they were leaving, another Doll, this one female came through the door with a small box, which she handed to Lorna. She thanked the girl and she bowed her head and left, closing the door behind her.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#090909]Lorna took the box over to the table and opened it, revealing a number of different herbs, mineral stones and oils along with a small stack of bags the size of a small coin purse and a tiny bowl. "I'll put something together to go into the bath to help with your soreness and to help relax you. The soap and a wash clothe are on the small table near the tub." she started to take small scoops of herbs and mineral from the box and place them into one of the small bags.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#090909] Once she was satisfied with what she had made, she took it over to the water and hung the bag on a small hook at the front of the tub that allowed the bag to steep in the water. She then returned to the box and started to mix a couple different oils in the small bowl. The scents of clove, lavender, sandalwood and dragon's blood filling the air as she poured each. She then took the small bowl over to the bath and poured the oils into the water. "That should do it." she turned to smile at him, giving him no indication that she intended to leave. "The extra water is for once you're done washing, to rinse off. Will you be able to manage on your own, or would you like me to stay and assist?"[/BCOLOR]

"I should be fine on my own, I plan to be a while and I'm sure you must be a busy woman." He assured her, unbuttoning his shirt. After she had left the room he fully disrobed, sinking into the water and relaxing for the first time in what felt like forever.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About an hour later, he was dressed again and feeling like his old self. He had sat himself by the fire, watching the wood turn to ash and embers as he waited for Lorna to come back. They had covered all the tracks. Cal had been buried, Alfonse had made a flawless entry, and no one would be able to see the real Callawyn, save Lorna. It was comforting, to know he had at least one person in the world he could trust. Anyone else would spread word he was alive and the brotherhood would try again. Lorna was the least likely person to betray him. One did not become a dealer of secrets by letting loose tongues flap about. He was safe here, at least for now. But there was another problem to address: If the Dolls found the food and tea there when they entered, why did they not investigate? Why was food being placed there with no word given not seen as weird? Who could have had the ability to get that many items into that room without anyone even noticing?

The thoughts flickered through his mind as the light danced upon his face, eyes lost in the caress of the flame on wood.

Lorna smiled as she left Callawyn's room, a bit disappointed he didn't wish her to stay but she understood and complied. She used the time he was bathing to head the short distance to her rooms and change out of the outfit she had worn to the 'funeral'. She slid out of the skin tight black dress and let it pool on the ground, stepping out of it daintily, her ears, tail, and tattoos reappearing as she dropped the glamour that hide them. She pulled the pins out of her hair and let it tumble down her back as she made her way over to her wardrobe and opened it. She pulled out a brightly colored kimono and slipped it on. About that time Lillian appeared behind her and took over dressing her mistress. The cut of this particular dress was much more conservative than some of the others she often wore. She had no need for pretense or seduction when she was with Callawyn. Once Lillian was done tying the belt around her waist, she ran a brush through Lorna's long wheat colored hair before stepping away, her head bowed. "You are lovely as always Mistress."

Lorna smiled and brushed the girl's cheek affectionately as she walked past. Before she exited the room she glanced over her shoulder at Lillian. "I'm not sure how long I will be tonight my dear. As such, please feel free to stay here for the night or return to your own room." the girl nodded and she left through the hidden door and made her way back to Cal's room. She knocked gently and waited. When no answer was voiced, she opened the door slowly, to give him enough time to stop her from entering if he was still bathing. She stepped into the room, the fire's glow casting shadows over the walls. Her golden eyes scanned the room and fell on her guest, who was seated in a large plush chair that faced the fire, clearly deep in his own thoughts. She walked to the table and made a cup of tea, testing it thoroughly before walking over to the chair and coming to stand beside it. She offered him the tea. "I hope you are feeling a bit better....though there appears to be something on your mind. Care to share?"

Status
Not open for further replies.