INTEREST CHECK Persistent world setting?

• Thread starter codasterthedisaster
  • Start date
C

codasterthedisaster

Original poster
I'm in the midst of setting up my own persistent world setting with a couple of my friends right now, and while it is still in development, I was wondering how many people would be interested in roleplaying in a persistent world environment. If you don't know what a persistent world is, it's where a roleplay world is established, then multiple roleplays and roleplay chains happen inside the world that effect the course of that world's history. That's kind of a half-assed description but I'm sure you get the point.

Anyways, the world I'm working on is a fantasy-themed one. Technologically, think of Final Fantasy 11. Most technology would be clockwork/steampunk or magic-powered. I guess at this point I should say that I was inspired by pixiv fantasia :P

ANYWAY x2 COMBO
Is anyone interested?

Roleplay within a roleplay. Sounds complex, but I'm interested.

I suppose I shall start to post some information about my (still unnamed) persistent world.
Here is the first draft of the five races that live on (unnamed world)

The Five Races

Human: Man is the most open and diplomatic of the Five, with the human clans having the largest combined area controlled. Humans are the least xenophobic of the Five, with clan leaders often including members of the other Races as advisors or bodyguards. Humans don't have any particular strength over the other Races, but instead are a jack-of-all trades; humans have a higher potential to learn more skills than the other Races, even if humans can't refine their skills to the degree of other Races.

Elf: Elves look nearly identical to humans, the only noticeable traits being in the elves' pointy ears. Elves are highly averse to contact with any of the other Races, being highly xenophobic. Elves prefer to live in forests or areas where nature's magic is the strongest. Because of their similar living preferences, Forestkin and Elves live close together, making an exception to the Elves' xenophobia. Elvish craftsmen are considered some of the finest in the world, creating some of the most intricate and complex works of art. Elvish clothing and armor is unparalleled. Elves are biologically immortal, never dying of age.

Forestkin: Forestkin are humanoid beast races. Each forestkin looks like a hybrid between a man or elf, and an animal. The animal's traits can be so little as a pair of cat ears, to being a full-on bipedal wolf. The kind of animal displayed is a genetic trait, and as such, each tribe seems to have its own animal. Most forestkin clans are made up of two or more tribes, but even within the clans, the tribes seem to stay to themselves. Forestkin are exceptional warriors and fighters, making up the strongest armies of the world. They generally don't get along with any of the Races aside from the Elves.

Demonkin: Demonkin are said to be human descendants of the Ancients. Some demonkin have red skin. Some are massive, while others are small. There are many different traits that can manifest in an individual demonkin. However, all have horns. Demonkin have the most potent magic, which they use to create strange machines fueled by magical power. Demonkin blacksmiths are known as some of the best in the land.

Chromian: Chromians are tall, slim humanoids with dragon-like features (horns, pointed ears, and scales around the face, shoulders, and down the spine, as well as forked tongues on some occasions. Tails are rarely seen, but not unheard of.). Chromians are generally taller than humans, stronger than most of the other races, and very intelligent. They are also have the smallest population (the total amount of living Chromians is under two thousand). Most Chromians are female, with a male born very rarely. All Chromians have heterochromia, with the sole exception of 'alpha' Chromian men. Alpha Chromians have black eyes, hair, and scales. There is only one clan of pure Chromians, with the rest of the populace belonging to other clans, or the head of mixed-race clans. Like Elves, Chromians are immortal.

I'll be choosing the elven race for this one. Looking forward to this. Question, I'm guessing by roleplay chains, characters from different races may interact with each other?

Last edited by a moderator:
They way it works is more along the lines of, "Here's the roleplay world. Now make a quest to use only a part of the world so other people can use the world too, then we'll combined the events and that will be the course of history."

Hm, alright. Thank you. I'll follow up on this roleplay.

I've finished the summary of the world, but right now I'm not very happy with how it's written, nor have I actually named the world yet. Expect this to change soon

Summary of the world

Before the Clan Wars, our world was peaceful. Gentle, rolling hills, or forests with a tranquil atmosphere. Jungles with light, warm rain, and grasslands with gentle breezes. Serene lakes that cool springs bubbled from. Those calm, peaceful lands that held the countless gallons of spilt blood. Peaceful. Even now, with wars raging across every nation, this world is peaceful compared to its origin.

Long ago, our world was naught but raging seas, and skies so black it always appeared to be night, with no light save for the brief flashes of violent lightning, followed by the crash and rumble of thunder. What little life that existed clung to the hard, rocky ground, even as vicious winds and howling gales tore across the land. Back then, the world was ruled by ancient and massive monstrosities of unspeakable horrors. Creatures bigger than cities that flew through angry thunderheads, controlling the weather as if it were a part of a pack. Leviathans swam through the seas, causing waves that could crush mountains, and behemoths that ruled the land, enormous and bloodthirsty.

Before the Five Races were proud rulers of nations and heads of clans, they were tiny pockets of civilization, or mixed nomadic tribes struggling to live day-to-day. Any other being on the planet could easily destroy the Races. Even the strongest warriors and most cunning hunters could not hope to match one Ancient. Not until the clouds split open for the first time, sending down rays of light to the surface. Then the winds stopped, with the violent and unforgiving storms following soon after. Then the Ancients disappeared. The Five Races split into nations, clans, and tribes, forming their own societies and cultures. For centuries, the world was at peace. It seemed as if there was no limit to the land that could be explored and settled. Until, of course, the Kingdoms were founded. Within the Kingdoms, nobody was allowed to leave the areas known by the respective monarch. Unknown lands were strictly prohibited, and any citizen caught leaving the known lands was executed—exile was not an option.

It went on like that for several hundred years. The Kingdoms became more and more controlling, some more than others. Then came the Founding. Noble houses declared independence, the lands they watched over becoming new nations. Soon, it wasn't only nobles that were seceding. Peasants were forming clans, claiming their villages as new lands. The Clans, as they were now called, controlled every part of the known lands. The monarchs formed their own clans and started campaigns to recruit others in an attempt to reclaim the nations that once belonged to them. As the world's society changed, the borders of the known lands was unchanged. Some clans tried branching out, but were never heard from again. Those that returned from the 'unexplored' told tales of freightening beasts and wicked cultists. Venturing out of the known lands remained a taboo.

Instead, inside of the known lands, clans began to vie for power and land. Thus marked the beginning of the clan wars.

Three hundred years later, the wars still continued, though not to the degree they once did. Strange beasts appeared within the known lands, and the borders shrunk every year. Even the largest and most powerful clans seemed to be withdrawing deep within their borders, allowing few to leave and none to enter. Occasionally, skirmishes broke out and the borders would shift slightly, as the clans fought over farmland. Clouds began to block out the sun more and more, and it seemed that there was almost always a storm raging. Now, almost every day is dark and cloudy, with storms raging. Some have even spoke of massive beasts weaving through the clouds. Whispers of the Ancients returning are becoming more and more common.

The biggest and most powerful clan of mankind, Noblewind was suddenly and inexplicably destroyed one day. The handful of survivors fled to nearby territories, babbling about gargantuan monstrosities that descended from the sky and swallowed up entire castles. Several more clans were swallowed up after that. Rumors of the Ancients' return became fact. The Five Races were powerless once more, dissolving into nomadic tribes that banded together out of necessity.

It seemed as if the Races were not meant to revert to the days when there was no sun, and the world was ruled by the Ancients. Six beams of light pierced through the clouds one day. Where each beam fell, there was an explosion that rocked the world. At the heart of each explosion, was a hero. The Six purified the world, restoring some semblance of order. The Ancients disappeared, then the Six vanished. It was as if the world was on a cycle. Kingdoms formed, the collapsed into hundreds of squabbling clans.

But the memory of the Ancients was never forgotten.

What is finished is the magic system. It might be a little confusing, so if you have questions let me know.

Schools of Magic

General: The ability to use magic comes from an individual's innate magic power. Not everyone has the ability to use magic, but those that can have a varying degree of potency with their magic. To use magic, one must mold their magic energy into a certain discipline to focus and specialize it.

Elemental: Just what it sounds like—Elemental mages use the power of the elements to create powerful destructive spells. The elements include the basics, such as fire, water, wind, and earth; as well as more advanced elements such as sound and light. Strong elementalists can use multiple elements, whether they be simple or advanced.

Manipulation: This discipline contains the simplest and most complex types of magic; movement spells that are nothing but moving an object through magic power, and the creation of golems and puppets. Golems are large, often elementally-aligned beings that obey their creator's commands obediently. Golems are often incredibly strong and durable, but unable to make any decisions of their own. Puppets are like golems, but where golems are more-or-less mindless, puppets are sentient. The process of creating a puppet or golem's body is the same, but animating the body is where the process changes. A crest is drawn on the golem and creator, so that they are linked, then magic energy is poured into the golem's body. Once the body has enough energy, it comes to life and starts to obey its creator. A puppet has no sigil drawn on it, instead magic energy is poured in so it is animated. After it is animated, the creator links his mind to it, where the consciousness of the puppet is created, then divided from the creator's. The puppet is then mentally linked to its creator, but still has its own free will. Puppet magic is the most difficult discipline to use, for if the puppeteer's magic is not strong enough, his puppet will not obey him at all. Many puppeteers will craft golems in addition to their puppets.

Necromancy: There are two branches of necromancy; corporeal and uncorporeal. Corporeal necromancy focuses on reanimating bodies while uncorporeal necromancy focuses on manipulating spirits. Exceptionally strong necromancers can learn both branches, but the ability to do so is exceedingly rare, and thought to be impossible.

Conjuration: Conjurers are able to weave intricate illusions or summon beasts from another realm. Strong illusionists can create illusions that physically interact with the world, while strong summoners can form pacts that permanently bind them with their summoned creature. Summoners are similar to pupeteers in the way that a summoner's familiar may not be obedient if the summoner has weak magic power.

Next update is going to be fairly large, it's a list of noteworthy and powerful or legendary clans. I think it will garner some interest, it's been fun designing them :P

Interesting, though I do have on e question on one of the Schools of Magic, that being the "general" one. Since it seems like a inherent magic ability, I'm only vaguely sure on what that might mean. What's the extent of their powers, be it something small and trivial or something more complicated?

General is just an overview of how magic works; the other four are the schools that people can learn.