samuel booker

Sam glanced warily between the two women before standing up with his arms slightly raised. All of them, it seemed, were in this together-- whether or not any of them liked it. He was a Narc, had been for awhile now, and after Olive's outburst and the symphony of rings and buzzing, he hadn't a doubt the others in this room were too.

They all were receiving the same cryptic messages.

And they all wanted answers.

But Uma was right. This conversation needed to happen elsewhere.

Clearing his throat, Sam spoke to the room at large, his soft gravelly voice breaking the tension. "Let's just all go about our day…"

And hopefully see each other tonight and figure out what the hell is going on.

Taking a few steps forward, Sam excused himself from the room quietly, desperate to be free of the room and the lingering memory of Mr. Benoit. The blank, expressionless smile remained in his mind's eye, and desperately as he tried to replace it with the warmth of Ginny's smile, he couldn't shake the doubt-- the paranoia that somehow, some way-- the man would find out about him. That he'd smile hauntingly down at him as he sentenced him to a life in the ISO district.

Catching the elevator and hitting his floor number, Sam closed his eyes and worried at his temples. If anything did happen to him, hopefully Ginny would be free of blame… And hopefully she didn't go to the Dream Police herself.

When the elevator dinged and both doors slid open, he knew, without a doubt, that he'd be attending that meeting. He just needed to see Ginny first.

Last edited:
[bg=#2EE1E5]
Elisage Castleton
[/bg]
As the police left the meeting room, Sage had already worked her way to her feet, but the buzzing of her phone distracted her from her hasty exit, and glancing down at the message, her gaze flickered over to Chai as she gave a small nod. She'd meant it, what she said the night prior… that it felt like a trap - but at this point, there didn't seem to be many other options, and she wasn't going to throw herself under the bus without a little more information.

Her phone buzzed a second time not a few seconds later and she reached for it, but as her fingers curled around it and she pulled it out from her back pocket, she noticed the others, reaching, grabbing as well...

It hadn't been one or two of them. The entire room had resonated with ringers and vibrations and chimes. All at the same time. Eyes widening, she dropped back into her chair and as she did, the young, abrasive woman with the dark hair spoke up.

Swearing, Sage looked to Chai again. A trap… It all felt like one, gigantic trap, and they were sinking right into it.

[bg=#2EE1E5]
Finnegan Carver
[/bg]
It was bad. It was infinitely bad. It was… unfathomably bad. Finn sat in his seat as the chaos ensued around them, and staring at the others, felt a sinking weight of dread filling him, threatening to spill over. Externally, nothing showed… he wouldn't have been a good con man if he were obvious about his emotions, but on the inside, fear waged war, and his stomach tensed, chest tightening, like a vice against his heart.

They had all gotten the same text. There was no use trying to deny it, and no one did. His eyes shifted to Uma, who he noticed at looked his way as well and shaking his head, he looked down at the message. It wasn't a text he'd needed, if he were honest. He'd had no real intention of taking the new patch. The old one had failed, and he had no delusions that it wouldn't fail again. Or maybe it was a reckoning that it would wouldn't fail which made him so hesitant. It was no picnic… being a narc, but there was a certain element of freedom to it that intrigued Finn. And the potential to find out… it was happening that night.

"The meeting." He finally found himself saying, before he realized Uma and the large, burly man were right. It wasn't the place to discuss it, "The meeting's over..." He recovered without a hitch, "We should get back to work before we get docked credits."

And rising, his hand curling around his phone, he looked around the room one more time, before moving to the door, following Sam out.

[bg=#2EE1E5]
A Mysterious Summons
[/bg]

8:30 PM came sooner than anticipated for the young woman whose entire world relied on the trust of a pack of virtual strangers. Dorothy Whitfield never expected that her dive off the roof of the warehouse would somehow be less challenging than this meeting, but her anxiety was fully charged, and not least of all because there was a very good chance, despite how careful they had been, despite how well planned it all was, something could still go wrong.

The new patch was a problem. It showed a note of paranoia in the enemy that was absolutely terrifying, because of the implication behind it. They suspected. And if they suspected, then they would be on high alert. There was so much on the line, and one mistake, one misstep could determine the fate of everyone involved.

The meeting space was an abandoned garage in the Lower Class District, a building more suited for cockroaches and rats than people, with boarded up or broken out industrial framed windows and cracked concrete, a rusted metal door against one wall, roll-up partitions the other. Outside, rain patterned against the stone sidewalk, smacking against the tin garage door like cat nails on tile. In the center of the room, Dolly waited, walking back and forth like a jungle cat, prowling in a zoo enclosure.

"Gonna put a hole in the concrete, you keep pacing, Dolly." A voice chimed behind her, and nearly leaping out of her skin, she spun around to face the approaching figure, fear melting beneath the warmth of a dry smile.

"You're late, Parker…"

"Sorry. They had trouble with the wrist watch. Kept glitching out, again. We've got our window, though. As long as no one's late, we should be able to get this thing done. What's got you so spooked?"

Chuckling, Dolly shrugged, "You mean aside from the fact that I'm a ghost to these people, and now I have to convince them to trust me?"

"Not a ghost to all of them…" There was a subtle twinge of implication in his words, and Dolly frowned softly.

"...I was gonna see him, anyway, Park. It's no different than you and Olive."

"Yeah, maybe. Except I didn't spend all morning shooting texts to Olive. Dolly. I know what this all means, but you need to be careful. He has to get there on his own. They all do."

"I know. Trust me, I know."

"Doesn't matter, now. They're all gonna find out after tonight, anyway. When are they coming?"

Glancing at her watch, Dolly frowned softly, "Should be here any minute."

"Let's hope." Parker agreed with a firm nod.
Scene Objective
Meeting: Take Two​

Details:

Tuesday

8:30 PM

Rainy - 75°

The time has come for the mysterious meeting. The location and time have been sent, now it's up to you to decide whether or not to attend... Questions will finally be answered, but can you handle what you discover?

Bradley Henderson

Dolly never answered.

Bradley found his fingers curled around his phone in a vice, eyes blurring from the intensity of his stare as he anticipated a response. Amidst the chaos around him of shouts and concerns he felt himself in a bubble, their voices muffled in his focus. The passage of time was not well accounted for in his state, and by the time he became frustrated enough to look away from his phone he noticed the room thinning.

If they all got the same message, they were all Narcs. And if Dolly was watching them, and heard the announcement, she would know what they all were. She knew. She exposed them.

Why the meeting? Why the update in the Patch?

"Idiot," he whispered to himself as he shot up from his seat. Embarrassment flushed his cheeks as he formulated the reasoning behind the mass text. Dolly had lured him into a sense of safety with her clever words making him believe she was one of the good people. But she was one of them; one of the ones rounding up Narcs and exposing them.

As he rushed from the meeting room, he saw Dolly's former lover up ahead. Finn had been in the meeting, too, and now had been exposed as a Narc just like the rest of them.

"Hey!" Bradley called out. "Hey, Finn, wait up!"

At the elevator, Finn paused and glanced behind him, a brow lifting at the sight of the man calling after him. He knew a lot of people, and he was generally good with names and faces, but there was a lack of familiarity there, and usually when someone knew him and not the other way around, it wasn't for good reasons…

But keeping his expression even, Finn nevertheless nodded, "Hey What's up?"

Catching up, Bradley stooped into the elevator and cleared his throat, eyes casting about to the others crowding into the space. He couldn't speak freely here, but how to get a stranger to willingly speak in private?

"I, uh, I don't know if you remember me from that therapy session," he began as he rambled through his words, "or whatever it was yesterday. But, uh, I remember you because of, well, yeah. Anyway, I was wondering if after the meeting you might have had a phone malfunction… You know, like funky texts or something?"

Looking to the man, the corner of Finn's lip turned up in a smirk as he shrugged, "...Pretty sure we all got the same malfunction there, Bud. Sort of why I'm jetting for the elevator, you know?" His eyes flickered up, ever so slightly, to the camera in the corner of the hallway.

"Right," Bradley said, a small nod following to fill the space of silence as he tried to figure out how to express his findings. "A little annoying, I suppose. Damn emojis. But uh if we all got it, I think someone is messing with us because of the therapy group. You know? We were all in it. And for a reason."

Bradley lowered his voice and his head downward, mumbling his next words, "Don't trust it."

Frowning, Finn eyed the man, nearly leaping out of his skin as the elevator bell chimed behind him and the doors opened, "Don't trust my phone?" He knew what the man was suggesting, though… and it had been a thought it his mind as well, a thought he'd been avoiding since the very first text, "Look… Don't stress, too much, yeah? I think one way or another, we're gonna figure out what all this is about, pretty soon."

The meeting. The next meeting, of course. Bradley shoved his phone in his jacket pocket, Dolly's paper note crinkling with the shift. "I don't know that I want to," he admitted. "I think my phone is broken. I'll just get a new one."

Walking out of the elevator, he turned, wishing he could better explain his stance and all that was happening, but there were far too many eyes and ears about to really fill Finn in. And so he turned towards the man and shrugged. "Maybe you should look into upgrading your phone, too?" he suggested. "All these meetings are getting kind of strange with these malfunctions."

Shaking his head, Finn shrugged, "Whole system is a giant malfunction." Looking over to the other man, Finn scratched uncomfortably at the back of his neck, "All I know is… I gotta get answers from someone, and ain't many more options out there." As he stepped out behind Brad, he glanced down to the monotone vibration coming from where the man had tucked his phone, a brow lifting, "...Sounds like someone doesn't want you to upgrade."

Pulling his own phone free, he smirked, shrugged, "Just you this time, Bud."

"Shit," he cursed under his breath, heart racing as Finn confirmed it was only him this time. "You can't trust answers from people like this. Dolly never died. She's in on it. Watch your back."

Bradley pulled his phone out as he turned back around to head to work once again, giving it one final look before he intended to destroy it entirely.

SENT 8:00 AM || UNKNOWN NUMBER

I'm sorry sweetie. I'm so sorry. Needed to send it to everyone. They know something. They know we're planning something. The new patch is a trap. Please, please don't take it. Will tell you more tonight. Please. You'll understand soon. Just trust me a little while longer.

A frown formed on his lips as he read through the text from Dolly. His fingers swiped to unlock the screen and type a response.

They know you're planning something, and so you expose a bunch of us in a mass text? Smells like sushi to me.

Hitting send, he turned the phone over in his hand, fingers brushing against the smooth surface of his case before prying it off with some difficulty. He likely went through too many protective measures to keep his phone safe, thus making the entirety of his efforts to destroy it quite difficult.

Which was undoubtedly the only reason she had time to call him, before he was able to…

The vibrations definitely didn't match the short burst of a text message. It was long, frantic, and a bit too loud against the plastic protective covering half off its frame. Bradley turned over the phone to see the call was from an unknown number, hesitation lingering as his finger hovered over the screen. He could let it go. He could destroy the phone now and be done with it. Screw it all!

But the itch to know more swiped his finger across the screen and he brought the phone up to his ear. "Make it quick," he said quietly. "I need to report back to work."

Her voice was a whisper, almost frantic, but the emotion behind it was unmistakable… fear, coupled with something else, something slightly indistinguishable, "I can't talk long, Brad. I shouldn't be calling you… but I… You have to know Brad, I would never, ever hurt you. I had no choice. The text. If they know, then it doesn't matter… you're already exposed. All of you. I had to get it out there, before they get to you. Please, sweetie… you have to believe me. I know you have no reason to, but I…" Pausing, she fell quiet for a moment, and when she continued again, the tone was different… softer, somehow, "...You still wear your socks inside out? I know how you hate the seam on that scar. Where you stepped on the nail."

No one knew about that. It wasn't something Bradley openly admitted even to his own family. It felt silly to do it, but it was too satisfying not to. With a shake of his head, he couldn't decide if he wanted to talk to Dolly anymore, and it felt hard to breathe.

"I…" His voice trailed off. "I've got to go or I'll be docked."

"Say you'll come, Brad. Please. I need to know you'll be there…"

There was always a strange feeling when talking to Dolly that he couldn't quite place, though he blamed it mostly on his nerves jittering due to the subject at hand. She sounded so dire, so genuine that his paranoia could calm and allow the possibility of trust even in the fear and panic.

"Sure," he finally said. "I gotta go."

"I know. Be careful, Brad. I'll see you, soon…" There was a click a moment later to indicate that she had hung up, and in the silence that briefly followed, Finn approached.

"...You gonna explain what the hell you meant by that, there? About Dolly… Cause I'm not exactly in the mood to translate crazy right now."

Finn's sudden presence caused Bradley to jump, spinning about at the sound of his voice. "It's…" he trailed off, eyes looking about as he remembered they were constantly being watched.

"She's the one sending the messages," he whispers as he leaned in close. "I saw her last night. We talked. I would explain more but we need to get back to work or HR is going to be up out ass tomorrow."

Finn's fists clenched at the words and he took a step forward, eyes narrowed, but as he moved, he remembered his own night… the things that he and Uma had witnessed and paused, almost as though he had been frozen midstep, he shifted, "...Yeah. Yeah, good point. I'll see you around, Bud." He said, coolly, and with a shake of his head, he turned, wandering off in the opposite direction.

He was a threatening sort of man, and Bradley was thankful to be away from him. If the meeting were indeed true and Dolly were to be there, he wouldn't have to bother explaining any of it to Finn. He wouldn't have to face the possibility of a black eye. That's too risky of a business for people like them to do anyway.

Time stretched on now that Bradley anticipated something in his life. The shipping center was just as fast paced as normal with the constant comings and goings and lifting and shifting, yet each hour ticked by like it were trudging through molasses. The drugs he was on to keep himself awake began to escalate his anxiety and panic attacks to where he had no choice but to flip to the mellow high too early.

His shift eventually ended with enough time for him to scurry over to 1913 Hamish Avenue. With the tension of the entire situation it was likely the depressants wouldn't cause him to fall asleep.

The Lower Class District was a sore sight of a statement upon the economy, but even for Bradley it was home. Slums tightly packed down each street decayed with the workers' inability to afford upkeep either due to time or money. Despite there being no sleep in New Miami, it seemed like most wished to escape the near constant work hours with more relaxing or fun activities. Were it not for Bradley's liking to cleanliness he would fall into the same category.

While all the hustle and bustle was located in the recreational veil of clubs and bars, 1913 Hamish Avenue was located away from the neon lights and rowdy crowds. Rain began to dampen Bradley's jacket as he flipped up his hood over his mop of hair, hands shoved into his pockets to protect the contents from the elements - and shifty fingers should he even come across another person.

He didn't dare use his GPS to locate the secret meeting location. And yet, his phone was still with him, and it suddenly unsettled him. People were suspecting Narcs about. Possibly suspecting people in his therapy group, and they were likely all carrying their phones. Their phones with location services. Their phones that could compromise them entirely.

Bradley checked the time on the screen, and it displayed brightly in white numbers: 8:23. Too late to run home.

"We're all addicts," he said to himself, nodding in encouragement as he fabricated a lie. "The message was a dealer. This could pass as a House for sure."

Stepping out of the rain, Bradley continued his train of thought more internally. Voices carried from inside, guiding him into a dingy room with two occupants. It was an ill fit for the likes of Dolly. She stood out like a diamond in a coal mine, and looked just as pressured.

"I'm early," Bradley stated, but then paused as he slipped his phone back out of his pocket slowly. "Or am I…?"

• Love
Reactions: Elle Joyner
u m a

Uma was nothing, if not cautious. The woman had lived over half her life on the edge of discovery, a single misstep away from being found out, and in that space, you learned to cover your tracks and hedge your bets. The fact that whoever had messaged them had been so blatant, had been so - dare she say it - public set off every alarm bell in her head. All day throughout her shift, she had weighed her options.

Could be a trap. If it is, it's a bad one. Messaging all of us at the same time, getting us all together - not exactly subtle. And having Benoit put the icing on the cake...

...unless it isn't a trap. If it's genuine, if it's real... I can't deny what I say. But...

...maybe it's a double-bluff. I'll think it's too on-the-nose to be fake, just to put my foot right in a bear trap. Hattie, Maria, Doug, Andy, Omar... and now Finn, they need the amps to stay awake, and if I get caught...

All day long, back and forth, like a tennis match taking place inside of her frontal lobe, even though the decision had been made already somewhere in that primal, dark place no human will ever find on a CT scan. She was going. She couldn't not go. Her curiosity was just as strong as her caution, and she and Finn had seen something they could not explain. She knew that other Narcs had seen it, too, these visions, these sudden breaks in reality as if someone stripped off that layer of veneer from their shiny surroundings. She needed to know, because eventually the meds wouldn't work anymore. The Patch wasn't working anymore. Nothing was working. It was only a matter of time.

But that didn't mean she was going in blind.

She watched from a car park across from Hamish Avenue, the bustle of the Lower Class as they attempted to escape their reality through whatever means possible, chemical or otherwise. She had gotten off early, begging off on a favor from one of her coworkers, as she'd covered more than one shift. With that little extra time, she'd taken with her a bugout bag full of necessities, as well as cased out the entire block. She hadn't seen anyone overly suspicious, but then again the Dream Police were top of the line - they weren't about to make themselves obvious. Nevertheless, there were tells, little motions, that only someone in the LEO business looking for someone in particular would do. So far, she hadn't caught sight of them.

She herself was dressed to match the crowd, having abandoned her scrubs for a mini-skirt and tank-top and sequined trainers, as well as full make-up, completely changing her appearance. In the Lower District, her statuesque frame and heroin chic didn't stand out quite so much in a hooker's get-up. Someone walked in at about 8:23, and she rolled her shoulders as she walked the street again. Do or die, Uma. Make a choice. You going in or not?

Bugout bag in the alleyway, phone battery removed and stashed in her bra, scalpels hidden in her purse - she was as prepared as she was going to be. With that, she walked behind one of the people from her therapy group, heading back to a dingy room near the back. Realizing there was only one exit immediately made her stomach swallow her heart, but she kept going anyways.

"Nope. You're definitely early," Uma stated, leaning against the wall behind him and crossing her arms.

@Effervescent @Elle Joyner

Chai exchanged a quick, strained-eye glance with the woman Sage, offering a sloping shrug of his shoulders—a gesture that didn't incite a whole lot of confidence. His mobile was still in his hand, looking small and fragile among thick, calloused fingers, like one squeeze would have crushed it. Having given him a look, but not a text in response, Chai slid quietly and quickly out the door after rereading the text. He returned to work as innocently as he had left it, putting in the remaining hours of his shift with more diligence and care than he usually gave his work.

His hands fumbled with every piece of pipe, wrestling to and fro the idea of going—or not going. He'd already decided he was going to go with Sage, though she had yet to respond, and without a confidant, he was feeling decidedly less confident about the whole situation. The apple in his throat bobbed as he swallowed, tossing a water pipe replacement piece on to his workbench and shifting his eyes up to the clock. Hours dragged on slowly, more so than usual, though he worked with more fervor than he usually ever did.

When the bell sounded for the shift change, he slipped his welder's mask from his forehead and made an unusually quick getaway back to his apartment. A shower, a change of clothes, and he was darting—not pausing to think about what was going on—to the street. The rain bore down mercilessly upon the heart of the city, pounding on the rooftops and turning the cement streets of the district into a warren of slick stones and muddy puddles. His shoes were soaked through as he hurried along at a pace that lurched on the verge of being a jog.

It didn't slow until he swung on to Hamish Avenue, at which point, he was barely inching along. Other men and women shoved their way past him, rudely jostling him side to side. He saw a familiar face—Uma—a few yards ahead of him, swinging her narrow body towards his same destination. His heart hammered, and thoughts rung in his head.

She seemed nervous; he could feel it. Or, perhaps his own nerves were just so strong. He couldn't tell, he couldn't even hear the constant string of numbers being read through his mind over the pounding of his ear drums.

Dripping wet, he slid through the dank building door and into the blinding light of the room. Against the change in illumination, he squinted, able to hear the voices of others, but see nothing.​

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Doctor Jax
samuel booker

Samuel Booker was not the type of person to confront obstacles head on. Or at all, for that matter. He moved like water through the hustle and bustle of his work shifts, slid between the shadows during leisurely hours, and when he able to be alone in his apartment at last, he relished in the serenity, the safety, the comfort of it all. But lately there had been no comfort. No salvation. The ongoing malfunction in his patch induced daily worry and anxiety, coupled with the stress of managing his shift, the cryptic text messages, and the… visions he sometimes got in those unsettling moments...

It was just too much.

He wanted--no he needed to know why his patch would no longer function correctly. He needed to know why the past year had been a walking nightmare, unable to have fun or enjoy life as he once had. Sure he kept up the pretences, continued to haunt the same bars with the same crowd, but Sam no longer saw the light or felt the joy in his heart. For the past few years he counted time by the little blips of happiness that lifted the onslaught of paranoia over the thought of being caught and thrown into the ISO district.

Once his shift ended he made his way to his apartment, packed a few of his belongings and then went back to Ginny's. The first thing he did was confess; he told her everything. When it started, when he finally realized, what it could mean for the both of them… And then he told her about the meeting and begged her again not to tell anyone of what transpired earlier in the day.

A small part of him wanted her to convince him to stay, convince him that the new patch will work and he'd be free to live a normal life once more. But she didn't and instead urged him to go, to be careful, and to come back.

He left her with a kiss on the forehead and headed out early. His route, however, would take him a very long way about as he made sure no one would be able to follow him. It was slow going, but if anyone had seen him leave Ginny's… she could be in just as much danger as he. Time with her wasn't a blip of happiness, it was hours, and the thought that he was keeping her safe helped warm the cold rain against his skin.

At least until he got closer to Hamish Avenue. He walked around the entire block three times before he could talk himself into the building. He crouched as best he could to fit through the door and took in the sight once his eyes adjusted. He wasn't surprised to see so many familiar faces. That is expect…

Dolly?! The warehouse jumper? How th--

"Well…" Sam breathed out, "Anyone wanna shed some light on what the hell is going on?"

• Love
Reactions: Effervescent
[bg=#2EE1E5]
A Mysterious Summons
[/bg]
As faces began filling into the space, Dolly stopped her pacing and turned to the door. There was a knowing glint in the eyes of the man beside her, and briefly, her gaze shifted to Bradley, before adjusting, moving to the oddly dressed, older blonde… A moment later, the striking, dark haired man arrived and behind him, a small sprig of a woman, wearing an anxious expression. Others began to trickle in, until the room was populated by a dozen or so...

There were a few lingering seconds of silence, the only sounds the buzzing fixtures overhead, the stippling rain on the concrete outside the doors, driving the musky scent of petrichor through the open door. Finally, taking a breath and looking to Parker, Dolly stepped forward.

"What the hell…?" The exclamation came from the sprig, whose features pinched together, first in confusion, then wariness, as she stared at their hostess, "You… You're… but… how??"

Sage's was not the only voice dappled by confusion and Dolly opened her mouth to respond, but as she did, the door swung shut again and she twisted to see another familiar face before the frame, "Finn…"

Fresh bruises dappled Finn's jaw and beneath his eyes, stippling black marks like war paint, smudged from the corner of each eye and across the bridge of his nose. His gaze narrowed in on his former flame, before flickering over to Brad, a brow raised, "So… that's what he meant."

"Okay…" This time, the voice came from the man behind Dolly, and stepping up beside her, the smile he'd worn faded into something more stoic, "I'm sure you have a lot of questions, but we don't have a lot of time. My name is Parker and we got a thing or two in common, me and you..." Absently, he glancing into the small crowd, searching, "Basically… Long story short, a few years ago, I got discovered as a Narc. I thought my life was over, and hey, it makes sense, right? With everything we're told…"

Narcs never got a chance to explain their situations. They were never given the benefit of doubt, guilt proven over time and with evidence. They were taken, dragged from their homes and locked away in the ISO District, never to be seen or heard from again. Not even pariahs… they became like phantoms… Ghosts of the past, forgotten, until even the memory fades.

"But everything we've been told is wrong." Dolly interjected, with a solemn glance to Parker, who bowed his head in a nod, "Everything you know is wrong. And it's time you heard the truth."

Turning to her companion, Dolly held out her hand and from his belt, Parker unhooked a small black pouch. Emptying the pouch into her palm, Dolly held up a round disk, the shape and size of a camera lens, turning the thick glass surface towards the light. Through the hologlass, the harsh streams of halogen created a ray, like a flashlight and in that ray, a shimmering figure appeared, dark, shrouded by shadows and a deep purple cloak.

The voice resonated through the old garage, a monotone sound, devoid of emotion, warped by a modulation to mask their identity. Nothing could be determined… not the age, the sex, not even if it were fully human or some form of robotics.

"Six years ago, Vega Salestine was part of a government project designed around prodigies - At only nine years of age, she was considered one of the most brilliant minds of any generation, but held in an underground bunker, allowed little to no social interactions and undergoing extreme experimentation, Vega became a highly unstable individual. During her internment, she designed a virus which would allow her and many others to escape the facility. Unfortunately, she was unable to calculate the risks of unleashing such a powerful virus, and before she could govern it, she was forced to flee. Ungoverned, the virus was able to replicate and upload itself throughout the facilities systems, and then further beyond, growing into an unstoppable infection that spread worldwide. The virus overpowered everything with a motherboard, including most manufacturing plants, similar to the one you have been led to believe you work for - Far too quickly, the virus adapted to these systems, developing the capability to design its own corporeal army of artificially intelligent beings.

In mere months, the world was overwhelmed by this AI army. The death toll was... catastrophic.

Working against time, and the virus itself, Vega managed to design a secure, unbreachable structure - a bunker deep beneath the dying earth, where the survivors could find sanctuary. Because of the limited amount of supplies, once within the bunker, the survivors were placed in stasis pods. These pods were designed to preserve life, while keeping the subject in a state of suspended animation… their mind… Your minds functioning in a REM like state. A dream state, if you would. Unfortunately, a necessary increase in the shield power generator caused a brief, but devastating outage, and within this period of time, the virus was able to take partial hold within the bunker, infiltrating the technological aspects of the pods.

In order to prevent the destruction of the survivors, it has been decided that the stasis must be lifted, but all attempts to wake you thus far have proven unsuccessful. It became all too clear recently, that the virus means to keep you as hostage in your own minds.

The only way, it seems, to save you is to wake you from the inside. To do this required careful planning and consideration, to protect not just your minds, but those that I've sent in to speak to you. Them, especially, because having woken, they're ultimately much more susceptible to the Virus's schemes. But send them I did, and I hope you consider this when you hear what they have to tell you. This is not just a rescue, ladies and gentlemen… This is a jailbreak. And we will need your help."

As the voice trailed off, Dolly's took over, "This message comes from The Architect. Our leader. You… like us… have been living here in a dream state for two years. That's all. Two years. The rest of it? Our whole lives, here? It's all been manufactured to feel real, fabricated, first by Vega's system and now by the Virus. But the world outside of New Miami… That's where you really exist. And that's where we want to bring you back to."

Parker leaned forward, collecting the hologlass disc and slipping it and the pouch back into his belt, "Dolly here… I'm sure most of you recognize her. This wasn't some cruel trick to try and mess with your heads. This was the only way we could think to show her, and ultimately you, that what you see here… in this world… it ain't real."

"I didn't believe…" Dolly started, and there was a wavering note to her tone, "When Parker came to me. I didn't believe him at first. I didn't want to. Then he told me things… Things he couldn't possibly know. Things he knew because outside of this world, we are all connected. Then he told me The Architect's theory… about a jumpstart. A way to wake… like when you force yourself out of a bad dream. I agreed to it and that… that's why I jumped. As soon as I died in this world, I woke on the other side. And I knew I had to find a way to convince the rest of you. To get you all out, before it's too late. Before you can't wake up on the other side."

"I know it's a lot. Any questions so far?" Parker asked with a dry, knowing smirk.

u m a

The blonde stared forward through the entirety of the spiel, warily realizing that the room was definitely more full than she had anticipated. Great - some of these guys get to know what I look like as a hooker. That'll take some explaining. However, when her eyes alighted on Dolly, her jaw tightened.

You... She didn't recognize her by her face. When she'd hit the ground, her head had the consistency of a dropped watermelon. But she recognized her hair, her shape, her general figure, as if someone had made a marionette out of the parts they'd picked up off the ground and made it dance again. She felt a shiver pass over her. You jumped. I tried to pump life back into you. So what are you doing here?

However, that thought was cut off as a hologram was suddenly produced, a strange voice filtering through the air to deliver what could only amount to being a fantastical science fiction tale that - had she heard it just two days prior - would have made her scoff in absolute derision. But after the vision she had shared with Finn...the stories from all the other narcs... well, she was listening. She would put it that way.

"How much.... how much of our lives are fabrications? Who fabricated them? And are we going to have to take a swan dive as well?" Uma drawled slowly, her expression one of somewhat reluctant interest.

@Effervescent @Elle Joyner

Bradley Henderson

It was possibly a poor move on his part to have picked the up instead of the down for his current high. The drug was designed to keep him awake and alert, but coupled with his issues it required calm atmospheres in order not to escalate his anxiety. With years of understanding under his belt, Bradley picked up on the signs quickly as Dolly furthered her explanation into their cryptic conversation the day before.

Mass suicide. That's what this felt like to him. A ploy set out by the Big Guys to locate the Narcs and convince them to off themselves. They'd be made an example of, shown to the rest of the world as a reason to stay awake. "See what sleeping will do to you?" he imagined them saying.

"Shit," he whispered under his breath, and shoved his shaking hands into his jacket pockets away from view.

The words the blonde lady spoke didn't quite register. She moved her lips to pose a question, her face lacking enough interest to show she even cared what was just told to them. Could she not see the signs? Everything had led to this meeting, and it was revealed by the mass text that they knew they were Narcs.

His eyes glanced up to Dolly, only just for a moment before quickly looking away from the woman. If she was clever enough to fake her death, she was clever enough to manipulate. It was difficult trying to shake away the blind trust he had in the woman. She was practically a stranger after all.

"No, we don't treat anything they say as truth or fact," Bradley cut in. "Evidence. No questions. No chatting. Give us undeniable proof, or we walk. Or...well, I walk."

[bg=#2EE1E5]
A Mysterious Summons
[/bg]
Looking to Uma, Parker's expression shifted, as he shook his head, "Unfortunately... Most of it. It's hard to say what's real and what isn't, 'cause it's different for everyone. Some things were retained... Others, not so much. It was the Architect's idea to keep your natural lives separate from your dream lives for a reason... Remembering would've had some pretty wicked repercussions."

As Brad interjected, Parker paused and turned to Dolly with a small chuckle, "You wanna field this one?"

Smiling faintly, Dolly lowered her gaze, "Always." Turning her eyes up again, she looked to the small crowd. Studying them for a moment, she paused on the young woman with the damp mop of curls, "Sage, right?"

Frowning, Sage nodded warily, "Yeah..."

"Sage," Dolly continued, "Can you tell me about your childhood?"

Blinking, the young woman stepped back a little, taking a lean against one of the metal columns that jutted up to the ceiling, "Um... I dunno. It wasn't anything big. Uneventful, I guess."

Skimming through the group again, her eyes fell on her bruise riddled ex, "Finn, honey?"

"Me?" Straightening, his arms uncurling from his chest, he shrugged, "It wasn't anything big. Just... Uneventful."

As Finn and Sage looked to one another, a smile began to take shape on Dolly's features again and she looked back to Brad, "What about you, sweetie? What was your childhood like?"

• Love
Reactions: Doctor Jax
samuel booker

"Alright, w-wait a second..."

Sam took a few steps forward, confusion animating his face as he began to see the pattern Dolly was unravelling. He took a curt glance at everyone gathered before speaking, his face contorted almost painfully as he took a moment to try and see it from her perspective.

"Lemme get this straight, are you saying our childhoods were... fabricated? Our whole fucking lives? B-but how in the hell is that...even possible?" Sam stopped suddenly, losing his breath as anxiety peaked. He took a deep breath before continuing, just as on edge. "Look, I don't remember anything 'bout another life or-or anything that hologram just spoke of. Like, forreal, are y'all shittin' with us- or..or is this... serious? Is this real? I can't speak for anyone else, but I need to know right the fuck now if this -like this right now- is real."

Am I even real? Is any of this even real? Have I been right this entire time? Is nothing even real?

For the length of a heartbeat, absolute fear radiated from Sam's eyes, and he shook his head, almost shaking before letting out a false laugh. Rolling the tension from his shoulders, he looked around with an apologetic glance, not really meeting anyone's eyes.

Almost hesitantly, Sam looked over to Dolly and Parker, gambling on a question that he knew would settle the frantic beat of his heart. "Can y'all wake people who's patches are not malfunctioning?"

@sorryimsolateplsloveme

Bradley Henderson

The question posed didn't fully sink in. Bradley watched as Finn and the other girl gave their brief history in answer, Dolly eventually making her way around for himself to answer. To him it felt like a diversion; a way to make him stop thinking about his demands. He looked over at Dolly, expression marred with betrayal as a distance grew between trust.

I'm not a Narc, he told himself unconvincingly. He felt at this point he had to find a way to make him believe he wasn't what these people would seek out.

"What does it matter?" he countered. "Evidence. Now. No talking. Do you even have anything to present to us? You're asking the lot of us to kill ourselves."

Bradley turned to face the others gathered to address them instead. "We all know the Patch hasn't been working on us," he said to them. "These people exposed us with the mass text to people that can make Narcs disappear. Ever wonder what happens to people who are discovered? Not like we ever see them again. It's because of this. They convince us we gotta kill ourselves so they don't have to get their hands dirty."

Turning back to Dolly with severity burning in his eyes, he spoke with precision. "If you don't have any evidence, then either kill me now or let me upgrade and be done with this."

[bg=#2EE1E5]
A Mysterious Summons
[/bg]
A brow lifted and Parker turned to Brad with a small frown, "You said he was paranoid, Doll... but damn."

Shaking her head, Dolly sighed, "We're not here to kill anyone, Brad. And we never expected you all to kill yourselves. It probably wouldn't work anyway, even if that was a viable solution... not if they've figured out what I did and how to prevent it. And the fact that they're releasing this new patch suggests as much. I don't expect you to believe me, blindly. I know you too well for that... but sweetie... even if you don't believe, please... just... give it time to sink in. Give us time to find a way to convince you. Try. Try to remember, anything... everything you can. And whatever you do decide, don't take the patch." Her eyes moved through the group, falling on Sam last, "It's... it's not real. I'm sorry. None of it... Our lives, here. As for those whose patches aren't malfunctioning, well... Sam, I'm sorry, but..."

As she trailed off, Parker picked up, frowning gingerly, "No one with a functioning patch exist outside of this world... They're artificial. Programs, created to make the world feel more real. You're it. You folks, here. You're all we have left out there... and without you, we lose."

"...You're saying outside of all this, there's nothing but us?" Finn was the one to interject this time, straightening into a rigid line, gaze flickering to the older blonde, "L...last night, Uma and I... we saw something in the colosseum. Like a vision, I guess. The whole place was like a wasteland. It was just for a second or two, but we both saw it."

"The Architect has been doing some experimenting, as much as they can without setting off alarm, trying to find ways to break through the virus's control. It's part of how we figured out how to get back in without going full stasis..." Parker continued, "Could be what you saw was an indication of some--"

"Park..." Looking down at her wrist, Dolly paled, her eyes moving to the other man with concern, "...We're getting a code."

Swearing, Parker glanced down at his own wrist, "...Damn it. How did they--"

"We have to go... before they find the sorce gate!" Pressing a button on the device on her wrist, Dolly looked up again, "You're all in great danger. I'm sorry... I don't have time to explain more, but they know. They know we're here and they're searching for us. You have to go. Now! Please, I am begging you... even if you don't believe us, even if you can't... please do not take the new patch. They will use it against you... They will find any way they--"

"Dolly!" Parker hissed, still looking at his own wrist, "They're pulling us in ten..."

"I can hear it, Parker!" Dolly shouted, her cheeks reddening, "Brad... Please. Just... Oh God. Run! Everyone, now!"

There was a sound, like a snap and a flood light appeared through the yellowed glass of the garage windows, blindingly bright. Where Dolly and Parker stood was now vacant, and outside, the thrum of a hoverengine rose as the Nightmare Squad began their descent to the streets.

u m a

The statuesque blond chewed on a finger as she listened to the boy's explanation. So most my life.... it's a lie, is it? There was a sensation in her gut, a flutter of unease, at the idea that everything she knew, everything she had known, from her parents to her friends - it was all just one, big lie. There was the possibility that this was a sting, and they were being fed a crock, but she had the feeling that it wasn't. The Patch malfunctioning, the visions from the other Narcs she'd met, the increasing desperation for new drugs to keep them awake... and the fact that ISO did not seem to actually exist, that where ever the dreamers go, it is somewhere none of them could reach.

She listened to the points made, her eyebrows drawing together as Parker and Dolly made mention of each person's childhood, that they had been uneventful, and her skin crawled. Another one of the Narcs - a man with a handsome face and a frantic voice - asked about the ones whose patches weren't working, and the kicker felt like it punched out her two front teeth.

No one in the city was real. Not a single person who had a working patch. Uma took a big breath and let it out slowly as she stared at the floor. Her Narcs, the ones she'd been dealing to, they were the only people here who were real. It was a disturbing expansion of solipsism, that the world around them was a sham, that everything was a fabrication. What were their lives like on the outside? Who were they in their 'waking' lives? The Architect was trying to break them out and now... What... would she remember... if and when she --

Their two expositors very suddenly began to panic.

"...Damn it. How did they--"

"We have to go... before they find the source gate! You're all in great danger. I'm sorry... I don't have time to explain more, but they know. They know we're here and they're searching for us. You have to go. Now! Please, I am begging you... even if you don't believe us, even if you can't... please do not take the new patch. They will use it against you... They will find any way they--"

Uma wasted no time listening further. She had grown up - could she say that now? - looking over her shoulder, on the brink of capture, and when someone says go, you go. She slipped out the door just as she heard the sound of an engine form the Nightmare Squad. Not the front door. Gotta get out another way. In that moment of distraction, she realized she had left Finn behind, and she glanced back. Could she leave him? Would he make it on his own? She couldn't digest this information alone. But there was no point if they both got caught...

The boarded up windows on the back side of the car park. They were rotten and with Finn's help they could open a hole into the alley where she stashed her bugout bag. Frontways was suicide, backways might buy them time. The rest would have to make their own way.

Uma ran back into the abandoned carpark.

"Dunno where they're coming from, but sounds like out front. Finn, come help me with the windows. Where did Dolly and that boy go?" Uma asked as she briskly walked back to the windows.[/i]

Bradley Henderson

Light pierced through the dingey darkness with the haunting tone of a hover engine kicking up the grime that layered the otherwise quiet district. Their hosts had disappeared entirely leaving only the memory of fear stricken across Dolly's face. She was the only one afraid even though she got away. And he was afraid, too.

The beat of his heart matched the drum of the engines, the pitch whirring with a shift in stance through the spaces. He had to run. He knew he had to run, but for a brief period of disbelief he couldn't fire the right signals from his brain to his feet to push him towards the first step.

Go! Now!

Bradley shot out from the garage at speeds he didn't know he was capable of. Lethargy had been his lifestyle and demeanor for as long as he could recall, only having brief bouts of energy when taking the right type of recreational help. And it must have been a combination of the drug's hyper effects and the adrenaline coursing through him. Passing down an alleyway, he found himself dodging the ropes snaking to the ground that would soon tether the Nightmare Squad to ground level. He perhaps could even hear their decent, but was too focused to really tell if the ripping came from them or his own throat.

There was, for once, nothing in his mind as he ran. No thoughts or fears or theories. Just nothingness and focus without conscious direction. His feet carried him through alleys, down stairwells, across streets, and up skylights as if he knew what he was doing. His downfall was the realization of reality; the understanding that he was, indeed, on the run.

Looking down the ladder, he watched as the Nightmare Squad effortlessly pursued him, pointing up in his direction where he stood upon the roof. He had to keep running, but for how long? They were relentless, and the hovercraft only gave them an advantage in patrol.

He just wanted to go home to have another uneventful day.

A groan escaped him as he turned and kicked back into a sprint once again. This was a terrifying experience, but it was beginning to feel like a futile attempt to escape. Tears welled in his eyes he fought back, teeth clenched as he pushed forward across to another rooftop close by. He could hear the commands of the Nightmare Squad behind him, and just as he landed on the adjacent building, a door swung open.

Electricity coursed through his every muscle, the rapid zapping of a taser against his flesh bringing him to his back in the blink of an eye. The Nightmare Squad loomed ominously over his convulsing, tense form, faces masked by the void of protective helmets creating a vision death. The reapers came for his soul, locking him in suspension for far too long as they reached out to carry spirit him away.

olive johnson.​
[bg=light gray]She had spent the entirety of the meeting, paralyzed. With fear, with rage, with confusion.. Probably all of it. Looking at Parker.. The familiar dimple on his left cheek, his shining green eyes, the tousled, messy hair. Here he was, standing in front of her.. Telling her that her whole life simply wasn't real.

But.. he had to be, right? Parker was real. Maybe that was why she cared so desperately about him, why almost nothing else mattered.. Why after he disappeared, she felt more empty than ever. No one else in her life.. Had been real. Not even her father? Not even the people she'd fought in the ring? Just recreations, fabrications. She hated the fact that she believed it.

Olive wanted to believe that maybe her childhood was real, unlike the rest. Because it mostly consisted of Parker. Everything else was as Dolly said… uneventful. Meaningless, except for her brother dearest.

So wrapped up in these stunning realizations, she didn't even say hello. Didn't even fall into his arms, feel his warmth, just to make sure he was real. Only stared, behind the rest who were just as confused as she, waiting for someone to pinch her and finally wake her from this dream.

It was over as the nightmare began. "Parker!" She cried, reaching out, reaching out into nothingness. Empty air. He was gone, and she hadn't even said a single thing to him.

Everyone split apart. All the people who she'd barely known a minute, maybe a few familiar faces.. all of them, in the same predicament,‍ sprawling in multiple directions. She watched them flee. Frozen. Her legs stuck to the ground, she couldn't will them to move. No more sound could come past her lips. It was only the thought of him that made her finally burst into a jog, as tears slipped past her cheeks.

Too slow, too slow. It felt as if Olive were sinking, as if the ground were to swallow her. She didn't want to run.. she'd been running all these years. From the truth, from herself, but none of this was real. None of this mattered, and maybe they'd kill her so she could join him. Maybe she was already dead.

It was at this point she found herself on a roof. She'd scrambled up a ladder like a rodent being chased by a boot, the echoing shouts of Nightmares behind her. And at the edge, she found no desire to keep running. Dolly did it. Did it and here she was, with her brother, promising that everyone else could be saved.

She was pulled back when she'd lifted her right foot, and allowed it to waft in the empty air. Electricity, sharp, hot, coursed through her body, not even her real body, as she writhed on the floor until darkness consumed her.[/bg]

Last edited:
samuel booker

His heart dropped into the pit of his stomach the moment Dolly told them they were in grave danger. For half a second he hesitated, still unable to fully process what the pair had explained about the world he knew… the people he knew… a-and Ginny. Desperation rooted him to the spot, but his urge to protect himself and others was too strong, and before Dolly had even finished her frantic warning Sam was barrelling through the front door.

A long stride and knowledge gathered from his trek to the garage earlier that evening gave way for Sam to escape. And escape he did. He blinked his way down alleys, halfway across the seediest parts of the district before he noticed his tightened chest, the stitch under his ribs, the rush of anxiety that pounded between his ears. He still had a ways to go, however, and the lack of a chase made him wonder..made him pray..and propelled him forward. Samuel ran and kept running, never once glancing behind him.

▱ ▰ ▱​

Sam crashed into Ginny's apartment door wheezing, clutching his chest with one hand as he grappled with himself to slam the door shut. He felt discombobulated, mentally and physically and there was a nearly crazed look in his eyes as he collapsed to the floor, back resting against the locked door. It took a moment, for him to catch his breath, and when he did he stood up shakily, glancing up at Ginny with red-rimmed eyes.

He didn't want to believe what they said... He didn't want to believe it at all...b-but it had to be...

And where did that leave him? Instead of running back to his own apartment he ran here, to a woman-- No, no... to a computer program that meant more to him than his entire fabricated existence.

"Ginny?" Sam coughed out, the ache under his rib still burning. "G-Ginny?"

From her room, a small crash sounded and a swear followed before she appeared in the doorway, a brow raised, "Hell, Sam. Scared me half dead. What..." But as she caught sight of him, her expression shifted, "... In here, Sam. Quickly!"

"There's not much time," Sam huffed out, still clenching the right side of his rib-cage as he stumbled into her room. He felt drunk, drunk off fear, and as he collapsed onto her bed, the room shifted, the world turned upside down, and he let out a soft groan of pain. "I shouldn't have c-come back, b..but Ginny I had to, t-they said... they said..."

"Shh..." Kneeling in front of him, Ginny rested her hands on his knees, "Just... Deep breaths. Tell me what happened. Was it the meeting? Did you... Did they tell you what's going on?"

Sam did as he was told, nodding his head in recognition as he did so, though it took a few shallow inhales to finally get the hang of it. When his breathing was under control he began, if shakily and half-coherent. "They t-told us... That everything we know..is..a lie. Fabricated by-by a virus or-or-" His breathing became ragged once more, but he inhaled deeply, just as Ginny had said, and calmed himself enough to finish.

"Ginny," His voice was nothing more than a desperate plea, "They said you weren't...they said you w-weren't real."

"Not... W..what?" Shifting back on her heels, Ginny's eyes widened, "Sam. That's crazy. You can't..."

Outside of the room, a loud knock resonated through the apartment, and Ginny frowned, rising to her feet, "Stay put and don't make a sound..."

Sam opened his mouth to speak, to warn Ginny of what was to come--but horror was about to unfold, he could sense it.. With a defeated heart he sank to the floor against Ginny's footboard, willing to go without resistance if they didn't hurt her. He had a feeling, however, that whether he cooperated or not, they wouldn't care at all.

Moving from the room, Ginny closed the door behind her and not long after, muffled voices filled the silence left in her wake. Steadily, like the crescendo of a song, the voices grew closer together and the volume raised, until they were right outside the bedroom, Ginny's voice an audible shout.

"You have no right to be here! This is an invasion of--"

"Move out of the way..."

"No."

"Move! Now!" There was a shuffling sound, a cry, a thud. A moment passed and the knob rattled, twisted. As the door swung inwards, three members of the New Miami Nightmare Squad poured into the room. A pistol raised, a trigger squeezed and the dart sailed, burrowing into Sam's neck.

"Got him..." The man who fired the pistol muttered.

"Sir? What about this one?"

"Take her. Boss'll wanna see..."

Collab with @Elle Joyner

[bg=#2EE1E5]
From bad to worse...
[/bg]
Finn moved as Uma called to him, his mind still racing over everything they had seen, everything they had been told. It seems painfully ironic that their lives were supposed to be dreams, when his had always been something of a crapstorm. Clearly, he wasn't the favorite of their benevolent Architect.

But for whatever reason, he believed it. He believed it because he had to. Because nothing else made sense... And they had to get out...

Arriving to the anxious blonde, Finn reached to help with the boards when behind them, the door swung inward with a bang. There wasn't time. There wasn't ever time.

"Uma! Ru--" Hand to his neck, Finn flinched as the dart met its mark and slowly, he staggered backward, trying to maintain balance... "Run..."

But it was too late. For all of them.

The rooms they were discarded in were small and square and every inch of them bright white. Silence hissed like static, the only signs of life a single CCTV camera in the corner with a solid green light. For hours, they waited, with no signs of life or luxury.

Finally, a buzzing sounded overhead and a voice, hollow and mechanical resonated, "Please proceed through the door."

With another sharp buzz and a hiss, the door opened into a circular chamber fit with a table and several chairs. As the captives filtered from their cells, the voice chimed again, "Take a seat."

Rubbing his neck where the mark of the dart stood out, red and swollen, Finn moved to the table and sank down into a chair, "Hell of a tea party we've been invited to..." He muttered, rubbing his hands over his face.

"I'm afraid the Mad Hatter won't be able to join us..." A voice chimed from the edge of the room, where a door opened up in the perimeter of the circle. A man stepped forward, tall and thin, features masked by the low lighting. His voice echoed, deep and resonant, "Traffic."

"Who are you?" Finn asked, brow raised.

"Who I am is of little consequence, Mr. Carver. Who you all are, however... Is vastly more important. I understand you were told something of a truth tonight. I'm sure you have a lot of questions. Unfortunately, we're long past the hour where answers would feel sufficient.

What you were told is not a lie. This world and most of the people in it are a fabrication. The reality you come from, however, is not what you've been led to believe.

The world outside of this one is unlivable. A wasteland. Those few who have survived cling only to a desperate hope that somehow, they can rebuild. It is futile and you will not survive long on the other side. What we offer is peace. Live in the lie, but live, nonetheless. Ultimately, the choice is yours to make."

With a small whirring sound, a round tray rose up through the center of the table, upon which a stack of plastic pouches sat. A hand extended from the shadowy figure, gesturing to the tray, "The latest patch. Please... I implore you. Think through your actions and you will have no choice but to come to the obvious conclusion. This is where you belong, now. Discuss it... Think about it. Take your time. Once you've made your decision, you're free to go."

"And if we decide not to take the patch?" Finn asked, his eyes narrowing at the tray, "We still free to go?"

Through the darkness, the ghost of a grin could be seen in white, gleaming teeth before the man turned and walked out, the door remaining opened behind him.

Last edited:
u m a

Everything happened quickly. Too quickly.

Caught. For the first time, ever, she'd been caught, like a rabbit in a net. She remembered being electrocuted, the arcs of volts leaving her paralyzed, but conscious. Couldn't have them falling asleep after all... Vague recollections of a vehicle, of being trussed up like a Thanksgiving day turkey, of hallways and byways and other confusing images. She'd been in that half-awake state, that surreal in-between where fact and fiction do a complicated ballet and the eyes start to fudge the truth. Then, a room - stark white, the only movement a CCTV. And then, after, a summons.

Mechanically, she'd stood up and walked out the door to take a seat with the other captives. She recognized them - they'd all been caught. The Skeptic. The Handsome. A young woman she might have seen in the Seamstress quarter of the Warehouse. Finn. And others, all faces that had been at that secret meeting. Dully, she heard the words of the man who'd walked in, speaking of the world 'outside', confirming the story that they'd been handed earlier, and the blow, this time, held little sting. She was already down for the count. There was little feeling left.

The door was left open, and she stared at it hungrily, her eyes flickering to the Patch they'd left behind. But what would it mean, to shake hands with the Devil?

"You know, if this is all a lie, they're certainly not making it a comfortable one," Uma noted slowly, her words picked deliberately. "We're all low class Grunts working to the bone in a factory. If they're trying to make this place look appealing, they certainly aren't trying too hard."

She paused as she looked at the others in the room.

"You live by their lie, you'll play by their rules," Uma stated seriously. "Cuz they got the world locked up right here-"

She raised a fist.

"-and you don't have a damn thing to say about it. And personally, I'm not too keen on that."

Bradley Henderson

In a violent jolt, the buzzing brought Bradley back to the present. He had been staring off at the wall across from him with thoughts that at first collided in a chaotic field that flowed into static and plunged into a thoughtless expanse. He couldn't be sure how long he sat staring blankly at the wall. It was as if he had momentarily shut down, unable to process the acceleration of events that landed him in this very room.

"Please proceed through the door," a voice commanded. Bradley slowly turned his head, the motion feeling mechanical and unnatural as he looked at the door just within arm's reach. Another buzz resounded, his muscles tensing with the harsh vibrations as the door opened into another room.

His feet carried him in a stiff shuffle where the others from the meeting made their way to the table to sit per command. Your childhood, he thought. Remember your childhood.

It was only ever a vague notion; the same phrase over and over. It was uneventful. And it began a downward spiral that numbed him by the time he sat down in his seat. Finn had said something to his left, but the words were muffled as his brain neglected to process anything outside of himself.

The ominous figure approached their table in the dim dark like a reaper, voice hollow with an edge. He came to steal their soul with the confirmation that they were, indeed, in a fabricated reality. The real world was left in ruin nearly uninhabitable.

What he saw in his dreams flashed to the forefront of his mind. The world torn apart. The grit of despoliation at his feet. That was the real world, the true reality Dolly lived in. It sounded cold and harsh and more dangerous than anything he would face in the mundane life he currently lived. As the tray at the center of the table rose to reveal a set of pouches, Bradley contemplated what sort of decision he wanted to make.

The reaper made it sound like they had a choice. Had it not been for Uma's words he might have slapped the patch right on and walked away in blissful ignorance. But he didn't want a life of continual labor and no reprieve. His family didn't even return his calls.

"They're not going to let us leave," he murmured, and then looked up at Finn. He'd seen the swollen knuckles and bruises and cuts before, just never gave them a second thought until now. Bradley wanted out, but he could never end his own life.

Dolly chose to jump from the building. But it wasn't death that brought them to true consciousness. It was to become unconscious to one's reality.

Rising from his seat, he honed in on Finn. "This is your fault," he spat as he pointed a finger for emphasis. "Dolly killed herself because of you, and then came back because of you! You exposed us to this!"

The sudden outburst stole from Finn's lips whatever he had been about to say to Uma, and staring at Bradley, his brow quirked, "...Excuse you?" His voice was cool, even, but it was clear from the tension that rose in his jaw, he was in no mood for this line of crazy talk, "What the hell did I have to do with any of this?"

There was a moment's pause as Bradley quickly considered his next move. Standing, he slammed his hands on the table and looked around at everyone. "This man is to blame for all of this!" he continued. "Dolly only happened to figure out the truth. She went up on that roof to kill herself because of what he did to her!"

Bradley marched over to Finn in an adrenaline rush, hands shaking from the spurt of energy and anticipation. "You had to go and physically abuse her! She only discovered the truth of it all because you were a shit boyfriend. And then she came back and messed up all our lives!"

Fists clenched, cheeks flushed, Finn stepped forward, eyes narrowing with a deep glare, "Are you out of your damn mind!? I never touched her! I never would! And you better back the hell up, or you're gonna find out why I have to work so hard to throw my fights…"

Every fiber of his being screamed at Bradley to sit his butt back down, and even resisted as he brought his arms up to push Finn in instigation. It was like pushing against a wall. "I'll take you on," he said. "I saw her note. She left one behind. Said she couldn't take another day of you beating her. You finished a fight in the ring but never finished the thrill until you were done with her!"

Jaw twitching, Finn shook his head, as he straightened, rigid against the force of Brad's shoving, "...I dunno what the hell you think you're playin' at, or if this is one of your nutjob conspiracies, but I'm gonna give you one last chance. Back. The. Hell. Up."

"You ruined our lives!" Bradley emphasized. "You ruined her life!" Running out of words to spit, he swung the first punch in a wide arc towards Finn's jaw.

It was swift. Dodging the punch, Bradley's knuckles barely grazing across his jaw, Finn reacted on pure instinct, and nothing else. Fist balled, he swung back, a short jab with the left to the nose, followed by a right hook to the temple.

The more practiced, yet fervent punches hit Bradley squarely. He felt the bone crack in his nose, the pain given time to register before he was knocked unconscious. His body spun to fall face first on the floor limply and unmoving.