Pentagram: ENNEA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh its you. Sup.

Yeah RPs tend to die a lot. Especially the ones that take a while to start up. Anyway, I have an idea now but theres a 99% chance I can't use it so I've got a backup idea ready too.

>when someone actually asks about the inner workings of the system
>o_o
>don't see why not

I'm on my phone right now, and have no idea how to BB a formula with just text, so I'll have to write it Excel-style.

WP=(2.4×Power×Targets2​×Elements×Special Effect Modifier)÷(Difficulty×sqrt(Volatility))

WP regenerates very rapidly, actually. It's just that the spells submitted so far are radically underpowered compared to what I was expecting.

In terms of limits on Power, the only limit is how much energy there is in the character's WP reserves. There is a hypothetical damage limit, but I guarantee you won't reach it, given that we'd need to write it in standard form.

For character ideas, go ahead with anything you see fit. The reason that this has dice to begin with is to give everybody more freedom with their characters.

Well, mine are radically overpowered compared to the current ones, so they're probably more what you were expecting. I'll start on the maths. As for the character idea... you'll see soon why it may not work. It's certainly interesting though. I bet you didn't expect it.

Hang on, that formula means that more complex spells cost less WP to cast, as do more volatile ones...

What I was planning results in negative WP cost values so... so much for that. I thought using negative values for Power would have screwed up results that were ridiculously powerful but I was wrong.

The idea is that less Volatility means less likelihood to miss because they adjust the environment subtly in their favour, and less complex spells are more likely to use brute force than slight-of-hand.

Negative values just end up as restorative magic like healing spells. As a result, the formula just treats them as positive values at the end anyway. Conservation of mass and all that, innit?

Name: Astra Aerux. Usually known by the pen-name Worldwriter (see history)
Age: Astra has been alive now for nigh 300 years. She's lost cound of exactly how long it's been. She tends to round to the nearest 10.
Race: Celestial; class IV
Appearance:
90844846eed8190e3445b8fcdfc635d6.jpg

This is her "real" form, although she has been known to occasionally use her slight natural control over Trickery to disguise as other people - mainly used to disguise as an elderly British man with needlessly victorian outfits.

Birthplace: Astra has genuinely forgotten where exactly she was born, since even before coming to Trigon, she was travelling a lot.
History:
Astra was one of the many celestials to come to Trigon during the Angel War. She came much towards the end of the fighting, and not as a soldier. She came simply as a tourist. Of course, the government of Trigon didn't believe that, and she was imprisoned along with the rest of the captured celestials. She was eventually able to bargain herself a certain degree of freedom by offering to make public her research into magic, and her books (published without any author name, to hide her identity) are now the staple guide of all self-taught and most school-taught Thaumaturgists, and a considerable quantity of Trickery magicians use adapted versions of spells she designed too. Due to the lack of author name but obvious connections between the books, most Trigon citizens have dubbed her the "Worldwriter".
At the moment, Astra is working on the ENNEA project as a supervisor, with the role of using her vast understanding of magic to improve the power of the level 9s involved.
Magic Type: Thaumaturgy - Air
Level: 8

General Personality:
Astra is a rather distant person; as one would be if all their friends were dying off left right and center and you still look like a young adult. This is not aided by her relative exclusion from society, since few people ever wanted to get involved with the obligatory child prodigy in the school. She interacts only in a very basic fashion, and won't extend a conversation once she has gained the information she wants to know. She will respond to a smalltalk conversation out of politeness, but will go to no extent to maintain it, and will not initiate one. She does not like to get herself involved in combat, and will teleport away from it if it occurs, although she can get enraged if they continue the assault for too long, and will then obliterate her attacker. She will not attempt to show mercy.
Inner Personality:
Astra's inner personality is... well, Astra doesn't have an inner personality. She is simply who she is. The only secrets as to her personality are simply her hobbies. And these are only secrets because no one ever asked her about them.

Spells:

Meridian Rule: Quantum Drive
Astra's Meridian Rule is more an enhancement than an outright spell. Alone, it is powerless, but as long as she is emitting her soul field, every spell she casts can utilise the Quantum Drive. Essentially, Astra is the only person in Trigon capable of visualising aspects of quantum physics. For example, a human can believe the fourth dimension to exist, and can do calculations that assumes it does, but they can't actually generate a 4D picture in their mind, because their mind is only three-dimensional. Astra's mind is 11-dimensional thanks to her Quantum Drive, allowing her to easily comprehend ridiculous things such as a circle with less than a 360 degree angle around the center point. Through exploitation of this quantum realm, her basic Thaumaturgy seems more like the space manipulation of Trickery. Or more specifically, it seems like the space manipulation plus 8,000 celcius plasma balls.

Quantum Drive does not alter the cost of using a spell, however, Astra's total WP cap is permanently decreased by 5%.

Heaven Blaze:

Heaven Blaze is a relatively weak attack (in comparison with her usual spells), but it has considerable versatility. On use, Astra designates three variables - three sets of 4-dimensional coordinates. One for each target. These targets can be the same target, in which case the same target will take the attack 3 times. Though only 3-dimensional coordinates are theoretically necessary to use the targeting system, Astra likes to use the 4th dimensional point as a kind of "anchor" node to allow her to more easily aim. Any coordinates will do, but the targets have to be within 25 meters of herself.
The spell essentially materialises a tiny star around the target.
Power: 100
Difficulty: 20
Volatility: 20

Godsend:
Probably Astra's signature spell, if she were to have one. It would be her overly dramatic finisher in a 2D fighting game. Godsend is basically a ridiculously powerful version of Heaven Blaze. Upon use, Astra creates powerful air currents, and through extreme pressure, a tiny white dwarf star forms above the palm of her hand. This can be held if needed, but the longer one waits, the more likely it is to explode in your face. Upon being shot, it acts like a laser and disintigrates everything for 50 meters in one direction.
Power: 1400
Difficulty: 10
Volatility: 20

Parallel Movement:
More of a utility spell, though it is theoretically possible to use it as an attack. Astra selects an object and moves it through the 11th dimension, in relation to herself. To someone unable to visualise the 11th dimension, it would appear as if the object had simply teleported. It is not perfect teleportation, however. If, somehow, a wall were to exist in all 11 dimensions, the item could only be moved as far as the wall, not past it. Fortunately, most walls are only 3 dimensions large. She can teleport herself in this same manner, but is somewhat afraid of materialising in the middle of the floor due to a miscalculation.
Power: 10
Difficulty: 10
Volatility: 5

As an addition to Parallel Movement, Astra has installed a "Tunnel Network" throughout Trigon's districts, with the help of high power enchanters with at least a mathematical understanding of the 11th dimension, if not able to actually visualise it. This network is not actual tunnels, but more certain points that act as a kind of linking system, combined with enchanted "leylines" that span the distance of the journey. While normally, Parallel Movement would allow Astra to move an object up to 500 meters at a time, the tunnel network allows her to travel in a single direction, between two nodes, for up to 6000km, instantly. There is approximately a 3 minute wait time for a tunnel to actually open up, to save having to maintain them indefinitely, which would be a considerable drain on Trigon's resources.

This-Was-Purely-Experimental-But-Actually-Has-Quite-Nice-Results. AKA, unnamed spell #00015343: As the name suggests, Astra was simply screwing around with the values of her spells, and at one point realised you could use negative magnitude too. Essentially, she blasts the target with a weak bolt of air, but since the power value is negative, it restores health instead of damaging it. More importantly, the WP cost is negative, so for using it, she draws additional WP out of the atmosphere instead of forcing WP into it. (Restores 96 WP with these values)
Power: -40
Difficulty: 1
Volatility: 1

I'll probably add some more, but being the Worldwriter, she has practically endless potential spells at her disposal anyway.

As you can probably tell, I have no idea what I was doing with the numbers so just made up some values that kept the cost under 100.

Stats:
(Measured from 0-100. You can have no more than 450 total.)
Potency: 100
Dexterity: 50
Agility: 0
(yep, her physical strength is en par with that of a normal, non-magically-enhanced human. And a young one at that.)
Endurance: 50
Creativity: 100
Intelligence: 100
Awareness: 50

I may have royally fucked up here... but I hope not. She doesn't usually engage in combat, is going to be my explanation for why her stats that would be trained by experience are rather low. Oh well, at least if she does hit, she's going to punch a hole in the target the size of a small town. Be sure to give her some armor spells :D

Last edited:
ToK7OxL.png

Hmhm, reminds me of Raildex with the Level system, and Type-Moon with the Thaumaturgy terminology~

Potentially interested, we'll see

For me, it feels like a combination of Railgun and Mahouka.

Hopefully we don't already have our own Onii-Sama

1405958985949.jpg

I know I recognise that face... but then I remembered that pretty much all male MCs look identical so my guess is as good as anyones as to who it is.

@Verite, wow, really? By making a character you contractually agree to be Onii-sama.

@Karakui, I did have a summary for you. I really did. But then it refreshed so now I have to rewrite it. >:T

Abridged version: Astra has a bad memory, because Celestials turned up more recently than Trigon was established, in 2025.

Heaven Blaze is fine, and costs 161 WP out of 485 that Astra has on reserve.

Godsend costs almost three times her WP limit, so she'd need to be Awakened to use it. If that was intentional, you're fine there.

Parallel Movement costs 8 but can't pass through souls due to dimension haxxing.

Untitled WTF Name Spell is fine, but it damages her for 1648 HP because antimatter game balance polarity AMC bullcrap.

i could never be as greato as onii-sama

Oh, whoops, I assumed they'd been there before but had organised some kind of rebellion or something. I'll change some stuff around and make it so she came with the angels, got captured and traded her relative freedom for offering her services as a spellwriter.

Godsend only being used in Awakened form is intentional since 1400 power is 14 times stronger than the next most powerful attack I've seen.
What's max HP for Astra? 1680 is higher than I imagined max HP could be.

Is this still open?? Just doing a quick "to make sure. Sorry I havnt been attentive. My dog has been unwell for the past week and passed away last night, and school started monday. If it is still open I will be caught up this weekend plus a completed character sheet.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH IT'S THE INTERNET

@Karakui, at base, Astra's HP clocks in at 8000. Sort of mid-high-ish. Awakened, I have no idea, but I think it's around 1.3 million.

@Vio, don't panic. This is open and will continue to be until we have five or six player characters. Way I see it, you're reserved either way, so no need to rush.

• Thank You
Reactions: Esmeray
1.3 million huh... How does one go about activating Awakened form?

Status
Not open for further replies.