Pentagram: ENNEA

Status
Not open for further replies.
KraVTUS.gif

At this point, I'm reconsidering making a mundane character.

Shrekt levels reaching critical. Of course, making one would be a big 'fuk yall' to the magical community. The regular human asshole will live through sheer stubbornness alone.

HmLZCnJ.jpg

Stubbornness and extreme luck. If it's simply a case of not wanting to partake in the over 9000-ing, Magicians don't tend to be as massively destructive on the basis that the whole point of their magic is to alter other magic.

The Problem With MagicTM​ is that if you're going to use it, you need to be relatively immune to the mundane, or else people will just shoot you in the head before you're done casting.

mfw you and I are the only nerds who are actually doing stuff on this thread

1390213621341.gif

Might I suggest throwing up an interest check in the checker section? And you two, Vio. Citrus. I'll fite ya if you don't get your charters up.

magic-meme.gif

Shear LaPelt

Your face turns into a spiral when we're the only nerds doing stuff on this thread?

I may have scared off @Vio and @Citrus with the unanticipatedly large JonTron face.

I have been working on an interest check for a little while. I'll try and get it up this evening.

Oh wut, I'm here. I am doing volunteer work for the rest of the week and I'm pretty busy for the next while, so I may or may not join.
Also, that face, it's bootiful <3

Oh wut, I'm here. I am doing volunteer work for the rest of the week and I'm pretty busy for the next while, so I may or may not join.
Also, that face, it's bootiful <3
[feignintelligence]Just checking up, is all.[/feignintelligence]

You are adorable. I wasn't getting alerts. Lol

Glad you tagged me xD

You are adorable. I wasn't getting alerts. Lol

Glad you tagged me xD
Here to help.

I've got a little bit going on at the moment, so my posting will be slightly sporadic for about a week or so. Pay it no mind, it shouldn't disrupt normality much.

Reactions: Esmeray
Mmmm does anyone know this one...

Also gonna make a character quickly

Name: Matthew Brett
Appearance:
[spoili]
MyStyle.jpg
[/spoili]
Gene donors: The gene donors were from the level 9 guardian and a woman named Elisa Sidney.

Level: Recent level 6

General Personality: Matthew shows himself as quite brave and motivated always continuing on with his studies to further his power. Up front he doesn't seem as greedy as you would suspect but that's all you know.
Inner Personality: While Matthew normally seems brave it's more of him trying to out do everyone so he would reach level 9 as fast as he can so he might take the mantel of the greatest sorcerer as he hungers for power.

Spells: Matthew's powers revolves around the aura he can control that surrounds his body at all times but unless he is using his powers is invisible to the naked eye.

Aura shield: Matthew can surrounds his body with red light that is about 2 inches off his body that lowers the power of both physical and magical damage hitting him.

Aura blast: While surrounded with the Aura Shield Matthew can fire forward parts of his shield that takes a few moments to re-cover that spot of the armour the more used the more powerful the attack is.

Stats:
(Measured from 0-100. You can have no more than 450 total.)
Potency: 80
Dexterity: 50
Agility: 50
Endurance: 80
Creativity: 60
Intelligence: 70
Awareness: 60

@Silverdawn, CS was literally up in an hour. You were really not lying.

I have to say, for an hour's work, I'm impressed. I can tell what kind of person Matthew's "mother" is, and I'm not surprised they picked her.

I'm a little lost when it comes to his magic, mind you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that Aura Shield is his Meridian Rule, and part of me is saying that both spells are purely Akyromancy. On the other hand, I haven't a clue about the Power, Volatility, or Difficulty of either of them, and I'm not sure if he has any other elements in his repertoire.

I notice that you mentioned Aura Shield lowering damage as opposed to outright absorbing it. Does only a percentage of damage he takes get mitigated by the shield?

Once I've got the values, I'll calculate the cost of using the spells and get back to you with them.

I notice that you mentioned Aura Shield lowering damage as opposed to outright absorbing it. Does only a percentage of damage he takes get mitigated by the shield?
Basically it works a bit like the ozone layer, it blocks magic to an extent if he ever made it to level 9 it would almost be impossible to damage him but with that it isn't indestructible so it will break after a bit of time so lets say at level one it can survive basic spells a bit but level 2 spells will break it in a few attacks. Also when he fires parts of it forward gives weak points to his magical armour so it's power gets lowered so he will just run at people and punch them in the face in combat.

Cataloguing the spells like this:
Aura Shield
Power: 70
Volatility: 20
Difficulty: 25
Elements: Chaos

Aura Blast
Power: 100
Volatility: 20
Difficulty: 25
Elements: Chaos

Doing the math, Aura Shield can be used about 153 times without breaking. More specifically, it would use around 0.6% of Matthew's energy. It would be able to take around 30 GJ, which according to Windows Calculator would allow him to block damage from 29,000 slices of cake. More contextually, that's around 7 tons of TNT.

Likewise, each cast of Aura Blast, calling it in at 100 Power with the same V/D values, would reduce the amount of damage that Aura Shield by 5.6%, allowing for about 18 casts before the shield begins to collapse, assuming that it takes no damage. It can also output a decent amount of damage: almost 15 tons. Very few arcanes will go down from a single hit, but plenty will go down from three or four.

I doubt that most fights will even last long enough for anyone to cast anything 18 times, so that's reasonable enough, especially if he uses CQC in favour of magic.

Gonna throw in some cautionary interest for now, but there's a chance I'll drop out due to the sheer complexity of the magic system. Is this inspired at all by Toaru Kagaku no Railgun? The level 9s and experimenting with creating level 10s which currently are impossible is almost identical to the setting of Railgun.

@Karakui, you'd be surprised how many people ask that.

I actually watched Railgun because I wanted a reference as to how to handle the Level 9s, but the way they did it doesn't quite fit with the way I want this to play out.

[spoili]Also, just so it's on record, even Trigon's council isn't quite so irresponsible as to sink billions of dollars into something that wasn't certain to work. I'll let that sink in. [/spoili]

To be honest, Sorcery is easily the least complex system. All that needs to happen is a Sorcerer needs to put in a given amount of energy and get a result. The only real downside is that it can't produce more complicated effects.

But yeah, feel free to go for a test run if you feel like it.

I must seem spectacularly clingy, replying to each and every message like this.

I have a lot of questions about the system, which may be clarified when I read the index in an hour or so. I'd like to look at the formulas you're using, if I can, so it saves time adjusting the abilities 10 times until they have the desired effect. Also, is 150 the absolute upper limit for magnitude or just a guideline as to what the majority of powers will have?

Oh and I noticed the energy costs are really low. Does energy not regenerate naturally?

Alright, I've read the magic part of the index. Yet to come up with an interesting enough ability though.

Status
Not open for further replies.