Mu

it’s better then they’re a little bit of a loser.
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male

"In the northern darkness there is a fish named Kun. The Kun is so huge I don't know how big he measures. He changes and becomes a bird whose name is Peng. The back of Peng is so big I don't know how far it measures across, and, when he rises up and flies off, his wings are like clouds all over the sky. When the sea begins to move, this bird sets off for the southern darkness, which is the Lake of Heaven.

The cicada and the little dove laugh at this saying, "When we make an effort and fly up, we can get as far as the elm or the sapanwood tree, but sometimes we don't make it and just fall down on the ground. Now how is anyone going to go ninety thousand li to the south?

And the little quail laughs at him, saying, "Where does he think he's going? I give a great leap and fly up, but I never get more than ten or twelve yards before I come down fluttering among the weeds and brambles. And that's the best kind of flying anyway! Where does he think he's going?"

Such is the difference between big and little. Yet, are they not the same? Though their capacities are different, in adapting to their nature - they are the same."
- Zhuangzi

They say that in the Lake of Heaven, far to the south, stands a tree named the Da-Chun. Its spring lasts 8000 years, and its autumn the same. It is where immortal beings lie, in a land of paradise. Though many have dismissed the Da-Chun as a mere legend, it had always intrigued the girl who always peered into the sky longingly.

The tugging of her chest hurt. And, unable to bear it, packs her bags and heads south on feet. She runs down the plains, going so fast her arms may as well be wings.

In the next town over, the girl has her destined encounters, meeting those tied to her by the string of fate.

-----

Hello! This be an interest check for a Hero's Journey-esque roleplay, featuring four human beings whose origins come from the myth of Kun and Peng.

- relevant genres: fantasy, ancient world, eastern, wuxia(?), xianxia(?)

- four players, including myself. Peng, the Cicada, the Dove and the Quail.
- preferably long-term players, because all of you will be playing central characters + the occasional NPC.
- posting expectations: 1+ paragraphs would be nice, please write enough for other players to work with.
- posting speed: once a week, there won't be a posting order.
- romance between characters is okay, fade-to-black if players plan on having sexual content.
- collab run, while there's a general direction that we will be slowly moving towards, players are free to contribute their own 'mini-arcs' and ideas.

I’m a sucker for eastern. Count me interested!

you had me hooked at "posting speed: molasses"

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: junebug
I have been searching for a similar type roleplay as this. Eastern and fantasy together have bought me.

@Nemopedia @Shizuochan @MaryGold

:o!! (three securities and an intern) While Peng's objectives don't align with traditional wuxia themes, I was wondering, would it be better for the world to also be set in a wuxia setting (fantasy elements, but more martial arts oriented than magic), or set in a xianxia setting which does match up with the whole 'searching for 'immortality'' theme and mix martial arts and magic together?

Also any questions? And which character are you guys interested in?

@Shizuochan - only cus I'm butt slow myself > - >

@Ringmaster - aaaah, only looking for three players rn but I'll keep your interest(?) in mind ; v ;

I'd be down for delving into some xianxia (the former's totally cool too, really). I'll get back to you on character interest (but quail is delicious irl btw)

I’m down for xianxia as well. Both are fine with me, really. Like Shiz I will get back at you about the characters later, when I have a more solid view of the idea.

As for questions: where did you find the full story and elements of the Kun and Peng myth? So far I only found a wiki page and artpieces of the creature Kun Peng, with vague explanations of the other characters, but I wanted to read in more.

I was also wondering, since you said four humans on a journey for immortality, are they all supposed to be full humans, or can there also be a disguised immortal/sprite amongst them that is tagging along for the fun?

Last edited:
I’m down for xianxia as well. Both are fine with me, really. Like Shiz I will get back ag you about the characters later, when I have a more solid view of the idea.

As for questions: where did you find the full story and elements of the Kun and Peng myth? So far I only found a wiki page and artpieces of the creature Kun Peng, with vague explanations of the other characters, but I wanted to read in more.

I was also wondering, since you said four humans on a journey for immortality, are they all supposed to be full humans, or can there also be a disguised immortal/sprite amongst them that is tagging along for the fun?
To be honest, that's really the bulk of the story. There's a bit more stuff that was just Zhuangzi's philosophy on life and Daoism. You can read the whole story here: Enjoyment in Untroubled Ease (just the first part).

The story was just the basis. The animals aren't really 'characters', per se, but really Zhuangzi's way of explaining men and their thoughts, and tying it in with Daoism. For example, someone could read the story and say Peng represents someone who will continue on searching and reach great heights - while the other animals might be seen as someone who does the best they can and is satisfied with it, thus don't understand why Peng would push themselves so hard to achieve the 'impossible'. Zhuangzi's stories are kind of nonsensical and the language is very old so there isn't an official interpretation of what he really meant.

So ultimately, they are up for interpretation. They can really be whoever you want them to be. Maybe a storm blew all four animals down in the land of living and lost their memories. Or maybe they are reincarnations, related to each other because of their interaction.

Nope! They don't have to be humans. Peng is also tentatively a human, that might change.

I would be fine with any of the two, seeing how xianxia has the most votes anyway, I'll place mine on that c:

Reactions: Mu
Xianxia it is then! That'll give a lot of options for the entrance of supernatural allies and enemies. The roleplay will probably be quite similar to Journey to the West. Along the way the characters would probably have to deal with anything ranging from cults to rogue gods. They probably aren't the only ones who are searching for Da-Chun either.

Of course, bringing in anything inspired by any mythology is encouraged :o. Plus with the fantasy add-on, it'll give players lots of options to create their own NPCs (one-shots or not) and run their mini-arc.