Pegulis, Chapter 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arktus - Barvelle, grey
"It is quite alright." Arktus placed his hand on the Anima's head, ruffling his fur and leaving a lingering tweak on the ears.

"The heart is a special place." Arktus led them from the blackout chambers to another set of rooms. Each one was large enough for a person and a half. Thermic gems glowed from the bottom of pools of water, enchanted to swirl in circles. The ebb and flow of the water's surface sent beautiful ocean light across the egg shaped rooms. The water gently splashed against the small cistern. The moisture in the air fed a soft bed of lichen to sit on.

"You look uneasy about your experience." Ethelwen twitched. Was Arktus going to recommend a different course of study? Was he going to put off their lessons until a later time?

"I .. it's not like I feel uneasy. But I'm not sure what I saw in the pool was a great insight .."

Arktus folded his arms into his sleeves. "Often, the things that shock us the most are things we are trying to avoid: when we are forced to confront them, we always grow after overcoming these obstacles." He tilted his head towards the moss carpeted floor. Ethelwen stood on top of the green fuzz, his toes curling into the softness. He looked so awkward standing there, ears flattened against his head.

The Calm Sage moved outside the pod, letting a thick curtain fall over the opening. "Contrary to what the book may have said, find a comfortable position first. When you cast magic from the heart, you must lose your outer self so you can look inside. You will need to create a fortress of solitude, a blackout tank that you can store in your mind and take with you anywhere, and summon anytime."

"You can adjust the light in the room. Start dim first, and slowly increase the brightness. Same with the noise."

"For our first few sessions, simply try blanking out your senses, to immerse yourself in darkness."

Last edited:
Dane Myros - Aldus - The Dvination Spire, gold
Huffing and puffing, Dane pounded down the chaos-filled road in pursuit of the fleeing Lisbon girl, an act that was proving futile given how much quicker she was than the watchman, weighed down in his armor as he was. Artorius kept pace with him, occasionally took a glance back to the rear and around alleyways they passed, just to make sure they weren't being followed by any number of the battling elements in the streets, avian or otherwise.

Face soaked with perspiration, brought on more from fear rather than fatigue, the panicked watchman stopped at a cross-section in the road, having lost sight of Karissa as she darted the corner. "KARISSA!" he yelled, frantically looking about. He turned to Artorius, eyes wide with worry. "Did y'see where she went?!"

Artorius shook his head, barely able to comprehend the country boy's words over the fervor in the city and the terror in the skies. Both cupped their ears as a deafening bolt of lightning hit close by, striking charred fragments from an already ravaged storefront, raining small chunks of the debris on their heads. Shielding his face with his gauntlet, light slipped through the slits in his fingers. Looking above, he happened to catch sight of several winged figures soaring through the sky, circling. One tore away from the group, diving down below and out of sight.

A terrified shriek chilled the blood in his veins. Despite the noise, he thought he recognized the voice; his fears were confirmed, watching the figure return to the skies with a second, smaller humanoid in its grasp. "No... Gods no! Ya BASTARDS!" With his outrage came a second wind, spurning him to speed after the ascending group of avians as they fled to the upper levels of the spires.

Dropping to his knees, he slung his crossbow over his shoulder, loading it with a bolt. With shaky aim, he pointed it towards the flock, who were rapidly disappearing from his sights. Wait, what was he thinking?! On the off chance he did hit the one carrying Karissa, he'd only be ensuring her death, not preventing it. Before he had time to even think it over, the group had vanished into the clouds above.

"Dane..."

"Damnit..." Frustrated, he threw his weapon to the ground, clenching his fists in anger. Gritting teeth, his fist pounded the cobblestone, tears threatening the corners of his eyes. It was happening again. Everyone and everything he cared about was being stolen away from him, and he was powerless to stop it. "Damnit... damnit... DAMNIT!" The ground received a few more unwarranted punches, Dane frustrated by his failure.

"Dane!"

"What, Artorius? What?" Turning his head back, the angry glare decorating his face quickly twisted to surprise. Scrambling to his feet, he grabbed his discarded crossbow in the meantime, keeping it level. "I-I wasn't expectin' t' see ya out here..."

Apparently too caught up in his pursuit of Karissa's kidnappers, Dane hadn't heard the squad of steel clad men approaching, the watchmen in various states of injury but still standing. Chief among them was none other than commander Marin herself, plate mail flecked with blood and sporting a talon gash across her cheek. Her blade, coated in red, was pointed at Artorius's throat, who looked to be a little sick of being held at sword point by now.

Narrowing her eyes, her words were cold, penetrating. "I knew this would happen. This is why I wanted these Viridosi locked away." The wet steel pressed against Art's throat, the look in her eyes leaving no doubt as to whether she would hesitate. "Councilman's son or not, I won't let you get away with aiding the enemy. Did you free the malcontents held in the western prison, Artorius? We found Brynn dead, I don't suppose you know anything about that?"

The councilman's son gulped, stiffening. In situations like these he was quick to come up with a believable lie, but he'd been caught off guard, unable to think of an excuse on the spot. "W-Wait!" Dane called out to her, rushing to his friend's side. "We ain't... we ain't even had time to do that! Storm came in too quick, had ta' get Karissa to safe-" he stopped dead, throat constricting in grief. Hopefully she would fall for his bluff.

Eyeing the two pensively, the watch commander reluctantly lowered her weapon. "Fine. I'll believe you. For now. We have more important matters to attend to as it is." Wiping the crimson from her sword, she kept her paranoid gaze on the pair, as if expecting them to try something at any given moment. "We've barely managed to contain the situation on the ground level, here in the streets. I have Raimes and Janos forming an emergency militia to deal with the chaos in the tunnels, but there's another problem."

She nodded skywards, towards the towering spire at the very midpoint of the great wall, the great structure pulsing with arcane lightning. "We've gotten reports that a number of the avians have holed up within the Divination Tower, desperate fools that they are. They've taken some of our people captive, however, most notably the mayor and key members of the council." She gave her blade a good swing, wincing at some apparent pain in her shoulder. "Rescuing them is a priority above all else."

Artorius went still. "Key members of the council? Does that include my father?"

"I'm not sure. We only know about this at all because we interrogated one of the bastards."

Ignoring the implications of such a statement, Dane perked up. Hostages? Perhaps he had jumped to conclusions too quickly... there could be hope for Karissa yet. "W-We have to get up there right now, sir!"

Last edited:
The Retaking of Tavark Begins

SOUTH OF TAVARK / ONE DAY EARLIER

"NO! I'll have no part in it!"
Darin shouted at the old man sitting across the table.
“If you’re willing to sacrifice everything, just to satisfy a grudge, then I refuse to aid you in retaking the city.”

“A grudge. That’s what you think this is. A grudge. This is not about a grudge, or betrayal, or honor; though it should be. This is pragmatism. We burn the city, on our terms, we take away Rath’s best weapon against us. We will take back our homes, as well as our families; if some are lost in the fray, then the fault will lie with Eimund. We cannot allow him this psychological advantage. We can’t let our emotions...”
he was suddenly interupted by Raige “You’re the one who’s judgment is being clouded by feelings, general! We all know how close you are with Rath! You just feel betrayed! You don’t care about keeping Tavark whole! You don’t care about her people! You just want revenge! Right!?!”

“More importantly, the plan will not succeed. We’ll lose all advantage gained by slipping men in; why do it at all if we’re going to burn down the city? The men we send in will be trapped until we can get inside, by which time it will already be too late; everyone will be slaughtered!” Amara added.

“Enough! That’s it! I’m finished trying to reason with impetuous children!" he looked toward Amara "We’ll have it your way; hell with the fire. I’ll send you and the two Avians in, along with my First Captain, Lyorn. You, them and twenty of my best will scale the short cliff round the falls in the southwest and head for the culvert there. Hurry as quickly as you can, find our people, bring them out the way you came in, or, should circumstances not permit that, quietly secure them as best you can within the city.”

Horriksson steped over to Ture, the small Sparrow Avian, handing him a small sack, setting it in his open hands and untying it, revealing three small balls, wrapped in crinkled brown paper, and three very small knives. "I figured you'd make good use of the sparrow knives, and I suppose you know what these are as well" he said, pointing to the spheres. "If you are able to make an escape, send out this green flare. Blue will indicate you have holed up within the walls. Finally, this red signal is to be used if you are discovered at any point. Upon seeing any of the flares, we in the north will attack. Conversely, a yellow flare on our end will signify we have lured Rath out of the city into open combat, though this is highly unlikely."

"Meanwhile my third commander, my daughter Reignlief, will have her attachment wait with you two" he looked toward Darin and Raige "in the forest to the west and await the stealth parties signal. Once they receive it, the will move their siege equipment and men into position just within the treeline. Hopefully this will go unnoticed as we in the north will already be taking down our section of wall."

"Lastly, after I have breached the northern wall, we will send out a purple flare, signaling both for my daughter's detachment to move the short distance out of the trees and fire, and for dear Milah, who will be by herself in the south to begin riding toward the southern breach. On her way, she should be able to see the second detachment firing on the western front. Once they are through, she will, after a moments pause, ride like the wind to the southern wall, unleash her seismic advent, confusing Raths men and perhaps sending some back to guard the area in vain. There, that work for you now pups? Not too rugged for you, this plan? Good, because I'm done debating and wasting time; rally your men my captains, I'm pulling mine in to position straight away."

Last edited:
Artorius Cale - Aldus, burlywood
"That's the plan, Dane. Do try to maintain composure", Marin advised in a supercilious tone that Dane was all too familiar with, "You're no good to the watch dead and loathe as I am to admit, with all our casualties today we will need you more than ever once this is over with. Keep it together."

"I got it together, commander", Dane answered, trying not to snap at her. He was under enough stress without her talking down to him, what with his friend being taken captive.

Artorius placed a hand on Dane's shoulder, noticing signs of said stress in the country boy. He understood how he was feeling, even more so now that he'd learned his father might be in danger as well. "Onward to the Divination Tower then. After you, Marin." Artorius spoke evenly, despite the woman having just held a blade at his throat. She could see the discontent in his eyes no matter his tone, the same as when he learned she'd had the refugees locked away. The thief quietly hoped one of those same birds would put her in her place.

"We wont be able to enter the tower directly, parts of the structure collapsed some time ago and is now blocking the ground entrance. We'll need to reach the tower another way." Marin turned to face another of the towers, pointing. "There. We'll first climb the Conjuration Tower, then make our way to the Divination Tower."

"Then let's go. We don't have the time to stand around with our thumbs in our asses, Marin", Artorius urged, giving voice to his impatience. Dane was glad someone said it.

The dark haired watch commander glanced back at Artorius, then signalled for her watchmen to follow. "Alright men, move."

--

Though still full of perils both winged and magic-born, the group turned a blind eye to it all and made haste to the tower. The boom of thunder, crash of crumbling structures, screams both natural and not - Though deafening, these sounds didn't so much as turn their heads. They could afford to spare no time dealing with the insanity all around them, they'd have to act soon lest the situation become worse than it already was. Thankfully they seemed to have been ignored in turn, save by a single dying man who called for help as they passed.

Upon their arrival Artorius paused to marvel at the structure that seemed alive with the magical energies flowing through it. The sound of steel colliding against steel drew his attention toward the tower's entrance. "Artorius! Get in here and help us!", Dane called. Had there been refugees holed up in this tower as well?

Artorius answered his companion's summon, charging inside to see him locked in battle with a fellow guardsman. The thief paused as he grabbed the hilt of his own sword, staring in disbelief. It appeared the fellow Dane was fighting lacked a head. What's more, the others appeared to be staving off blades that acted of their own volition, no hands to guide them. It was unusual to say the least, though these were unusual times.

"How do you propose I help? You can't exactly kill what doesn't have a pulse and unless I'm mistaken, steel falls under that category", Artorius asked, genuinely curious as to how they could possibly hope to defeat enemies such as these.

"I don't know, just do somethin'!", Dane yelled as he severed the sword arm of the animate suit of armor, then tackled it into a wall. It grabbed at him with its remaining arm, the one removed rising to attack the bewildered thief standing just in front of the tower's doors.

Artorius slid his sword from the sheath on his back just in time to parry. He held against his unnatural foe, swinging his blade to meet with it once, twice, thr-.. The councilman's son went wide eyed as a third strike broke his sword in two, glancing down at the severed length of blade that had clattered onto the floor. His brows furrowed as he sidestepped to avoid another swing, leaning backward to dodge yet another. That blade hadn't seen use even once before today, and yet it was ruined just like that.

"Gods damned blacksmith..", Artorius grumbled as he swiped at the sword that had just barely nicked his coat, wincing as he grabbed hold of the blade. Sharp as hell, much sharper than his own shitty sword. Vrein must have still been sore about him stealing the weapon when he'd come back to have him reforge it. Some people just like to hold a grudge, he supposed. Art struggled against the gauntlet clutching the sword he aimed to steal away, eventually prying its metallic fingers off the hilt and snatching it away. "I'll take that."

Dane looked around at his allies fighting all around him as he held the living armor against the wall, each still fighting separate floating swords. Art had successfully stolen the armor's weapon, but just as the other blades it too sprung into action on its own, jerking the thief around until it managed to fling him off to the floor and free itself of his grasp. He was right, this effort was futile.

"We're just wastin' our energy! Let's get the hell outta here!", Dane said, grunting as he shoved the armor into a corner and ran to offer Artorius his hand. He took it with his own bloodied hand, squeezing it and pulling himself up.

"You two think you can manage to hold these things off down here?", Marin asked, though her tone made it sound more like she was ordering them to do so. The two guardsmen she directed her question toward nodded to her and with that she, Dane, Artorius the rest of the party was off, ascending the spiraling staircase as quickly as they could manage.

Last edited:
Tavark - SouthWest Cliffs

"We're all set Lyorn" Ture said, making at least a passing attempt to hide the distain in his voice. He was wary of the man from Barvelle due to him being one of Horrikson's men, but he had given Ture a good impression thus far, not unlike Darin.

It only took seconds from Ture's words for the first footholds to be found, ropes to be thrown and climbing picks to be swung. Horrikson's men were on the mark at least. Though what that mark was Ture was still sceptical. "C'mon Ture" Amara's voice rang out as she jogged past. Ture watched her for a second before receiving a hard pat on his shoulder.

"We'll keep her safe, don't you worry." Lyorn wandered past the avian, the last to reach the cliffs.

"How did you?"

"I keep an eye on my men Ture. That is all" He didn't turn around, instead beginning the short climb.

Ture gave the man an appraising look before flapping his wings and beginning his own accent.

Tavark - The great hall, darkRed

"And what of Horrikson!?" Eimund spat as he leaned towards his scout, placing an arm heavily on his knee to keep himself upright. He breathed heavily, a man convinced he was hiding his pain and one who was failing miserably.

"Horrikson will move today, lord. The waters are restless, God is eager to witness our victory." The unsettling man was at the doors to the great hall. His arrival heralded a lull in the noise of revelry, as it so often did.

Eimund's eyes grew wide, and he instinctively tightened his grip on the dragon-skinned shield. "Then today we shall feast on the blood of his army!" He roared, punctuating the statement by slamming the shield into the side of the oaken throne, the arm of the chair splintering and shattering.

"The weakest shall stay and protect the halls."

"That will not be necessary, Lord. All of your men should combat the unenlightened. God has gifted us with something to take their place." Suvius had moved close to Eimund by this point, and gently placing a hand on the man's shoulder he motioned towards the door where several small figures shuffled in.

Eimund took the sight in for a second before he began to chuckle, and then laugh, and then bellow with a loud guttural laughter, the rest of the hall joining in before the noise rose to a battle cry and weapons were raised.

In the door the dark children stood, seemingly unaware of their own surroundings.

Tavark - The Culvert

The small group stood in the empty hall of a slaughterhouse. The last couple of soldiers emerged from the culvert, pulling themselves up from the small pit they found themselves in. The culvert lead into a slaughterhouse, it had been installed as a way to dispose of the blood. The blood-stained grating now sat to the side of the small pit as the group gathered around. "New Barvelle technology eh?" The captain smiled, a hint of pride in his voice.

"Yeah well I'm glad we've got it!" Amara chimed in.

"I'm just glad we only just got it" Ture added, familiar with the fact that Eimund would not have known about the Culvert because of it's recent installation.

"Ok we know the drill here. We split up. The five of us." Lyorn motioned to the smaller group of himself, Ture, Amara and two others. "Will go and find the hostages, we'll get them back here, and out of the city. "The rest of you are to secure the great hall and the surrounding areas. If possible neutralise the threat of fire."

"Here's maps of the town" Ture said, handing out a couple of scrolls, hastily drawn the night before. "You know your way around, but it can't hurt."

"May fortune favour the righteous!"

Tavark Outer Evergreen Forest
Silence fell over the table. The council that met to plan the retaking of Tavark had all said their peace. Raige glared over the table at the once revered General. Daggers pinpoint on the direction of Horrikson's throat; through his intense survey of the man's words. Darin, Ture, Amara, Milah. All of them seemed to know their place at this council. They respected the General's new strategy and left it at that. Raige was not so easy of burden.

"That is indeed the plan General. However know this. If you actively make the choice on any account to sacrifice the city of Hunters to your revenge; much less the people still inside. If you make that choice general I will see you pinned to a post before your soldiers. At least their sacrifice for the greater good will mean more." These were obviously things he wanted to say, things that made sense, but he had to remain calm in this situation and play the "good solider" Raige stormed off.

The winds howled in biting a cold chill on his face, and he looked to the direction of Aldus. Two days. It was a truth he didn't think to spare. The storm that brewed in that direction was an omen of death for anyone caught in it, and he could only wonder as he looked against the biting wind. What the hell is going on around here?

Darin came running out of the tent after him. The clanking of patched metal, and the heavy breath of the man brought Raige to ease before he reacted harshly, and Raige turned to face his friend, Mentor."I suppose you came to try and talk me down after my blow up?" Darin stared and smirked a little bit."Aye, I suppose I did." Raige turned away from the Paladin and looked to the Northern sky.
norbert-rosing-green-curtain-of-the-aurora-borealis-over-an-evergreen-forest.jpg

"A year ago I would have stood here with my family. We all would have sit on top of our roof and watched the lights. Everyone in Tavark might have done it. Today I have no family to watch the lights with. I can only think how they betray any chance we have at a stealthy approach to this. I can only think of children, and men, and women stuck inside that village under tyrannical law. They can not watch the lights with their parents."

Darin looked to him with concern, as if he hoped to say something that might make things better. That was the nature of a good man. Of a paladin.
"When Horrikson suggested sacrifice of the lesser; for the price of victory. He and all of his men that choose to follow him, lost my trust Darin.

"I understand your anger, but talking out against him in front of his men only makes things worse for you Raige. We are in a fine predicament right now, and we all need to be on the same pa.."

"I am going to scout the area, Ill be back soon."

Raige rushed off leaping past a small stream and bounding into the evergreen. The forest was thick with rain from the recent sputters. Raige expected it was partly due to the incoming storm that seemed to engulf the entire sky above Aldus. It was a nice get away from everything; to run through the forest and stalk low to the ground, to bound from one tree to the next and take up a vantage point where he could see things clearly. The trees were more a home to Raige than anything, as he'd spent a good part of his life among them.

He continued along a familiar but unused path. A waft of scents hit him dead on as he got closer to the outside of the walls of Tavark. Raige was far from the entrance that Ture and Amara had chosen, so he didn't expect that he would be closing in on anything much like that. Still this smell was definitely Avian.

His body fell low to the ground as he lifted his bow from his back and knocked an arrow. The string pulled tight, and he did so quickly so not to provoke any attention. Slowly, the wolf crept to the edge of the hill to peer down at a group walking up to him. They all had arms, each looking around for anything suspicious, but they also seemed unaware of his current position.

Raige watched carefully, ready with an arrow. The outer army had been fairly foolsih to expect that Eimund didn't have his own scouts. Hell, they maybe could have even played this to their advantage, but he expected that Horrikson would never agree to such a thing. The group was getting closer. One had a pike at the ready. He was closest, behind him directly was the avian, who seemed to be holding a cross bow. The one furthest from Raige was a dog anima that he recognized.

The Dog's name was Garrin. He was a proud lad that dreamed of joining the military and fighting for Pegulis in its time of need. Raige was angry at the sight of him, and how his devotion to such a cause had turned so swiftly. Garrin held a shield in one hand, and a large bulging club in the other. Only one would be a threat with Raiges current position. However if he fired, and they did not return; what would Eimund do. Any retaliation from the outside forces posed the threat of fire to the city and its people. Eimund retained no honor anymore, he was not the general that most of Tavark knew and respected. This Eimund was a merciless monster waiting for them to test his patience.

They were making their way up the hill that he hid on, and soon his hiding spot would be compromised. Raige moved slowly, and started down the opposite side of the hill, but not as quietly as he'd hoped. The armor made a ruckus with his movement and the click of a switch was heard as a bolt flew into a tree close to Raige's nose. Dammit. Was all the wolf could think when they started in his direction. At this rate he would be forced to fight them, and three on one with un-revealed Aux did not pose good for him.

Raige moved from the spot quickly, dashing away from them. The good thing about the current situation he had the range advantage. He sprinted back into the cover of the evergreen as Garrin trailed behind him faster than the rest. It was to be expected, that an anima would move faster than the human and the avian. Raige was far from base now, not too far, but making a dash would certainly be very sketchy. He could use his Advent, call for help but that would be a waste concerning the battle to come. Raige had little choice, but run. Or fight.

Catch your breath~
Raige prepared by taking in a calm breath and readying himself for the shot.
Hold~
Calmly, he raised his bow from behind the large trunk of the tree and held his breath.
Listen and wait~
The sound of their enclosing steps resounded in his ears. Sharp senses gave him a good idea where the last of them was. Again, Raige knocked his arrow and prepared.
Aim~
He waited, listened, prepared, and then turned around the tree to watch the avian in the back. His bow was pulled back, and his eyes locked onto the Avian.

Fire!
Like in every hunt Raige's arrow found its target, and the avian fell to the ground grasping at his leg. An arrow was now lodged there, and he was useless. There was no time to celebrate however. Garrin was rushing forward quickly, and Raige knew he could not afford to fight the dog so close to his friend. He took off into the forest; full sprint, and like a good puppy, Garrin followed.

A light formed behind him and Raige turned in time to see garrin glowing with Advent power. Garrin's advent was familiar to raige, so he knew that running was no longer an option. He had to fight now.

With no mercy at all Garrin charged into Raige and knocked him on his ass. Raige could only narrowly avoid Garrin's club in his position and rolled just in time to take control of the mount. The two were novice, neither had real combat training, and here they were thrashing about the ground. Blow for blow was shared between enemies that once had been friends.

Garrin was much stronger, his attacks were heavy and slow. Raige had the small advantage of his lean build, and was forced to use it appropriately to dodge the club. A horizontal movement was made, and Raige dodged backward losing his footing. Garrin was right over top of him and came down with the club.

Raige was only quick enough to swing his sword back hard and deter the path of the mighty club. he reacted on instinct alone and landed three good punches into the Jaw of the enemy. The hits were enough to jar Garrin, and throw him into a frenzy. With angry blows, Garrin got slower, sloppier and Raige capitalized on that weakness.

His blade came up and with a quick strike he landed a thick gash in Garrin's leg. The dog pushed away and tried to hit Raige again, but it was too late. Raige came around again and took a chunk from Garrin's stomach. Then stepped away from the broken soldier. Raige looked upon Garrin with disgust. It may have been easier then, to walk away and leave him, but Raige had to accept that they were enemies now.

Sigh~

The human would be quickly behind them, so Raige had to do it quickly. Garrin had fallen limp now, between the cut at his gut; which he held as best he could, blood spilling into his hand. His leg would not allow him to move. His aux, a pendant on his armor, was useless now. Raige retrieved his bow and walked away from the broken man. He was cowardly for doing things this way, but a man whom had turned away from his dream, from his ideals, deserved no honor. Once again Raige knocked an arrow. Held his breath, aimed, then let loose the arrow into Garrin's throat.

In the cover of trees he waited, watched, as the Human caught up and found his dead comrade. Raige could hear the man curse, but he picked some coins from Garrin's leather, and returned whence he came. Raige followed far enough behind to not be noticed and watch. The man scooped up his avian comrade and they returned down the hill where he'd first saw the group. There would be no point in him returning to camp with nothing but a conscious born of guilt. Raige tracked them back to the source, and watched as a ladder was dropped down by two men for the human to climb up and over the wall.

Raige returned after that as fast as he could with bruised ribs, and tired body. The army was mobilized, ready. The stealth crew had already gone in. Milah was bound to do her part. Darin stood present in front of the troops and only looked over once to see Raige in very rough shape. His eyes widened and he rushed over commanding answers."What in All Holy Light's name happened to you? I thought you went out to scout!" Raige ushered the paladin to follow him away from the soldiers.
"I found something?"
Darin looked confused, perhaps irritated. "what did you find?"

"A group of scouts has been using a familiar hunting path. I think they may have been watching us for a while. Raige watched as Darin frowned. He looked accusatory, as if he had figured out the whole scene himself. "I had no choice but to fight. I killed one. A friend. I wounded another, but the final one escaped back over the wall." Darin sighed and looked over his squire with concern. "Come on lets get you at least cleaned up before we don't have time anymore" Raige might have protested normally, but he knew Darin would be a hard man to sway. They both were probably thinking the same thing at that time, but neither would say it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lynzy and unanun

Tavark

"Not here," Darin looked around as his hand landed on Raige's back. His eyes settled on the nearest tent and he jerked his head toward it, "In there."

The paladin led his squire into the tent and quickly got him seated. His hands hovered over the wolf's injuries and began to glow, "The eve of battle and you had to get these injuries. You're lucky they aren't too severe or I would be forced to sit you out. I can not afford to be out recuperating from healing you before the battle even began," frustration was heavy in his voice but it quickly vanished as he spoke again, "Tell me of these scouts."

Raige shrunk back slightly from his scolding but spoke up when asked about the scouts, "Not much to say. Darin, I had to kill a friend just now. I'd known Garrin for a long time, hell, we hunted together. Eimund screwed everything up. I hope I get to put an arrow through the bastard."

Darin restrained a sigh. Raige was bent on Eimund's demise. In ways, he was similar to Horriksson when it came to Eimund. Both men were focused on his downfall even to the point of being distracted from what really mattered. Of course, there was wisdom in not telling the wolf of such a comparison. Raige hated Horriksson, at least at the moment.

Darin stepped back after the healing. His body was sore in all the same places that Raige's would have been but it was nothing he couldn't handle. He knew pain and how to turn it into fuel for the fight. He passed a hand through his brown hair, this time not hiding a sigh, "I'll bring it to Jarrikssdotter. It might be a good idea to devise a back up plan just I case the scouts found out enough," Darin moved toward the exit and lifted the flap, "Come on."

Darin approached the command tent, and before he entered, he turned to his squire, "Wait here, Raige," he hoped he wouldn't have to explain. Raige was his closest friend and had earned that in little under a week. Raige was hotheaded and they both knew it. Even now, he opened his mouth to argue, but then sealed it with a clenched jaw. Darin felt bad, but these were things that had to be delicately handled. One wrong word or reaction and it could ruin it all, "Thank you, my friend." Darin flashed a small smile.

The flap swung open as he walked in. Jarrikssdotter was leaned over their map with a few others huddled around her. Darin always hated being an outsider amongst this army when it came to discussing strategy. He didn't have much pull because of that. He was a champion for sure, but it took some serious convincing to get Horriksson to heed his plan. How much more stubborn would his daughter be?

"Captain," Darin spoke her rank to show respect. She continued to discuss with her colleagues without lifting her head. It didn't bother Darin, she was a busy woman, especially now. He waited a few moments and when she looked less busy, ever so slightly, he spoke again, "Captain."

"What is it?" She snapped as she looked up from her task. She recognized Darin and smiled slightly despite her being busy, "I'm sorry, Paladin, we've a battle to plan," she took a deep breath and turned her attention to the champion, "What can I do for you?"

"I've come across some information that our position might be compromised. Some scouts were spotted and if they've discovered enough of what we're doing here, it could be dangerous."

The look she gave him was one of added stress, "What do you suggest, Sir Darin?"

Darin nodded and sighed in relief, "I think it would be a great idea to come up with something else. A back up plan if you will."

Jarrikssdotter sighed and pinched her nose, "I share your concern, Paladin, but we just don't have the time now. With that storm coming, it's now or never."

"We're risking a lot without coming up with something," his tone was to induce thought in her, but her look showed only agitation.

"Sir Darin, do you understand what you're asking of me?" She waved him over to the map spread out on the small table, "I have my officers already in position and ready to move on my orders, here, here and here," she pointed, "The infiltration team is already inside and the General is calling out Eimund as we speak. The battle could begin any minute and you want me to recall my officers for another planning session. No, we can't do it. We have to be ready to move as soon as the flares go off. If there's nothing else, I suggest you go see to your men and make sure they're ready to move."

Darin's jaw clenched and he swallowed down his insult. She was doing her job, he had to remind himself. Darin bowed his head, "Captain," he spoke in the same tone he started in, though it was much harder to do so this time.

Darin turned on his heels and started out of the tent. Raige was waiting and when he saw Darin, he stood up expecting good news. Darin's brow was furrowed and he shook his head. He could see the anger surfacing in Raige. This was not going to be good. Darin raised a hand to silence Raige before he even opened his mouth.

"Raige, let it-" Darin's attention was grabbed by a single column of smoke that rose quickly into the air above Tavark. It was a flare.

"What? Let it what?" Raige angrily snapped at Darin.

"Shh," Darin stared beyond his friend and watched the flare rise, still awaiting release. Raige went to open his mouth and finally noticed that he did not have Darin's attention. He turned to trace the paladin's vision.

They watched the flare rise high into the air. Darin held his breath. The color determined the condition of those inside. Then the flare exploded. Darin sighed and without a word returned to the command tent. Just before he entered, he heard Raige speak the color in a hushed tone.

"Red."

The infiltration party was in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aldus, white
Evocation, Abjuration, Necromancy, Divination, Conjuration, and Enchantment. The Evocation and Abjuration towers, towers of elemental energy and barrier spells fell silent. They used to pulse with energy, massive rings on them used to rotate, and if one placed a hand on them, they could feel their heartbeat. Now, they were merely silent stone pillars, put to sleep.

The aviary crashed into the divination tower.

No. Wait. That was impossible. A translucent aviary slid through the tower, a ghostly city that endlessly replayed the final moments of its crash to the west of Aldus. It slid through the tower, disappeared in a fog of static, and did so again.

Many of the avians in the divination tower were already dead, their skulls fused to the metal and ceramic walls by the golem's crushing force. The beggar himself moved to the Necromancy tower, but sent a single golem onwards to secure the next. It seemed that the avian's mind - or perhaps, its most recent, vivid memory, had also fused with the tower. Charged with arcane energy from the storm, it gave birth to the avian's last nightmare, over, and over, and over ... and over.
Barvelle, cyan
"Hold it steady!" Michel stood in at the edge of a cubic spell formation. The gem sat at the base of the blade, crudely hammered into the circular socket. They were too afraid of subjecting the gems to the heat of the forge, for now. Giant pieces of paper hung from strings from the ceiling. The five pieces and the ground formed a cubic spell circle. Six Pegulis mages sat in a circle around the formation, deep in meditation. The door to the room was tightly sealed to avoid stray air currents. As one, they chanted through sutra, channeling their energy in a perfect hemisphere, which was transformed into six-sided pressure by the spell cubes, and focused onto ...

The thermic gem. The gem began to hum, its vibrations piercing at the high range of what the mages could perceive. They couldn't quite hear it, but they could feel the increasing pressure as the gem received more and more energy.

The blade ...

thermicsword2.jpg

... the blade began to glow red hot.

One of the spell paper's corners trembled. The gem and sword began to shake wildly just as Michel grasped forefinger in the other fist, stamping his foot onto the ground. A great circle of dust (where did the dust come from?) extended from the epicenter of the stomp, and the spell circles also blew away to dust, the blank papers now swinging gently in the breeze.

The sword still glowed a dull red.

The General's Challenge

There they were. There they stood. One hundred sixty two men, steady and calm, yet eager and ready to meet the bastards that had stolen their homes. Their women. Their children. How many lives had been lost? How horrible was the sight within the walls? How many of their homes had been sacked, and how many of their beds had been defiled with the rape of their wives? If it were so, were they killed afterward, or left in shame as the bastard rapers walked merrily back to song and drink? These were the questions driving through their minds, this was their torment, and yet they stood proud and strong, ready to do all they could to restore their dear lives. Lives that may no longer exist.

These were soldiers of Tavark, and while they were strong, and hard, and more fierce than most men of regiment, they were also steadfast and disciplined, holding their rank with a beautiful obedience even the Czar of Kaustir would delight in. In their hearts, there was torment, and hatred, and a longing for vengeance. Yet in their minds, there was duty, and honor, and a resolve to succeed.

The general stood out in front, with his own personal banner stuck into snow, waving in the wind. His crest, a tall snowy pine on a bed of blue, rimmed with a fringe of white. Beside it, another banner flew, it's own crest upon it. A bear's paw, grasping, with dark black claws and bristling brown fur, also upon a field of blue, rimmed in white. And grasping the heavy pike to which it was attached, was another paw, nearly identical. It belonged to Hjiorn Blackclaw, second captain of Tavark, and Horriksson's fiercest companion. The captain was of staunch makings, and stood at a towering nine feet, with arms the size of tree trunks, and a chest like a casket. His legs were short and sturdy, folded slightly beneath him, while his arms were so long his claws nearly scraped the ground if he let them dangle.

The giant Anima looked at the general beside him as he took an ornately carved horn from his side, putting it to his lips.

BRONNNNNGGGNNNNNMMMGGGGNNNNN!

BRROOOOOOOOONNNNNNNMMMMMMMMMNNGGGGGNNNNNMMMMM!!!

BRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGNNNNNNMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGNNNMMMMM!!!!!

A sound deep and low, yet loud and strong, resonating in the men very chests. All knew this sound, all who called themselves Tavarkan at the least. A challenge. A challenge to single combat, open and within sight of all. An old and honored tradition, used for generations as a method of graciously solving disputes.

Eimund was not likely to accept this challenge. After all, he had obviously forsaken his home and kin, why would he hold true to such an honorable tradition? Still, it was the general's first resort; he felt he had to at least try, to give Eimund one last chance to prove he was still a man. No. To prove he was still, at least partly, the man Horriksson once called brother.

Last edited:
Dane Myros - Aldus, gold
The journey up the spire was long and arduous, fraught with increasing perils from one floor to the next. In their great wisdom, the ancient architects had built the tower of conjuration to have a staircase on each side of each respective floor, meaning one would have to cross the entire breadth of each level to reach the other side if they wished to ascend. The reason for this inefficient design was lost to time; perhaps the sages of yore just loved their exercise.

While the first level had been blockaded by animated weapons and armor, the second initially seemed much calmer, the cleanly cut corridors of vibrating metal deathly still. The group of watchmen proceeded along the main hallway, with their commander at the fore and Artorius at the rear, just behind Dane.

"Keep your wits about you, men." Marin commanded, voice stern. Despite their brief reprieve, the little band of soldiers was still on edge, expecting just about anything to happen after all the strangeness they'd seen. "Stick to your training, and we'll make it out of this alive."

"Is she kidding? We weren't trained for any of this..." One watchman muttered under his breath, glancing around nervously. He went stiff when he made eye contact with an unamused guard captain.

"If you've got something to say, soldier, go ahe-" the scolding was interrupted by a low rumble. There was a period of brief silence, then...

The ground heaved. Marin's face was suddenly colored with both fear and blood. The impetuous guardsman had been impaled from below, skewered by a spike that formed out of the ageless metal itself. As quickly as it had come, it retracted, dropping the dying man to the ground in a splatter of red. The rumbling returned, more intense this time as another jagged formation shot out of the wall, nearly striking Dane, who stumbled back in surprise.

Soon the hallway had become a veritable chamber of death, the walls, ceiling, floor erupting in deadly stalactites that indiscriminately stabbed through both man and space. "MOVE. NOW!" The commander's voice rang out amid the chaos, rallying her men behind her, proceeding to the far staircase while trying their damnedest to avoid the death trap they were caught up in. Some were lucky enough to make it, some weren't.

-----

Artorius slumped against the wall, breath heaving. "Gods damn this fucked up city... After all is said and done, I'm seriously considering moving. Someplace warm, where I can curl up with a nice lass and won't have to deal with all this magical nonsense. The Cheronese, maybe."

Dane stood looming over him, still on two feet but obviously a tad shaken, wordless. He couldn't dwell on the men they'd lost right now; he had a mission, same as the rest. Marin seemed to be in the same mindset, motioning for the two of them to follow. "Keep moving, you two. We're on the third floor. We just need to get to the other side, then we can cross over onto the battlements and figure out a plan of action from there."

The two nodded, quickly falling in line with the watch commander and her dwindling number of subordinates. The third layer was not wracked with the same danger as below, but perhaps was just as unsettling; veiled in a thick layer of darkness only broken by a faint light from a doorway in the distance.

Some claimed they could hear voices, feet skittering in the dark, the feeling of a presence watching them... it was an uncomfortable journey, to say the least, but by the time they reached the exit they'd suffered no more casualties, the only attrition being to their sanity.

"Let's get th'hell outta here..." Dane muttered, walking into the light. Artorius nodded in agreement, wiping sweat from his brow, just a step behind.

-----

The sight of the aviary gave the group pause, a few exclaiming in terror as they thought the massive structure was about to collide with their city... but that wasn't the case; just like every strange occurrence they'd encountered, it was just an illusion, a product of the magic let loose in their city.

Pulling themselves together, the ragged group of soldiers pressed on, crossing the long stretch of battlements atop the wall between the two towers. Quickly they filtered through the opposite entranceway, metal boots clattering on the metal floor. The passed over the crosswalk that lead to the interior platform of the tower, shields raised and swords drawn in anticipation of contest.

But the interior was unexpectedly... quiet. Much unlike the previous spire they'd barely survived through. The men spread out, securing the perimeter while Marin, Dane and Artorius walked towards the center, eyes on the endless chasm that stretched high above.

"Gods be damned... I don't remember it being that high." Marin growled, glaring at the two of them like it was their fault. "Alright, we need a new plan. You two, go find-" again she was cut off, again by the scream of an ally. The three spun around, eyes widening.

aldusgol.png

The golem, crackling with arcane energy, grasped an unfortunate watchman in its claw, tilting its head curiously at the screaming individual then carelessly throwing him over the edge as if he were discarding trash. His wails echoed, growing ever distant; then came a crash, and the wailing was no more.

"What'n the damn world is THAT?!" Dane gasped, back stepping with his crossbow drawn. The other soldiers had formed up behind their commander, barely a dozen strong now, their hands shakily gripping swords and shields.

"Whatever it is, we better kill it before it kills us!" The interim captain raised her blade, signaling for the men to charge. "ATTACK!"

Fearful as they were, the watchmen did as they were bid, roaring as they sped forward to meet the golem in open combat, despite being outmatched by this foe.

Eydis - Barvelle, #3B3178

There was a sudden cold gust of wind coming in towards the opening in the mountain. Striking a cold pike into the heart of unsuspecting fox girl standing at the entrance.

She didn’t get it. Moving back out of sight the shocked youth placed a hand on her aching chest.

The image of Vrein and Ilsa embracing. Lips meeting. Her fist clenched the fabric. Shaking her head silently in an inner argument the girl turned for the corridors fleeing from the place and Vrein. With a sting behind her eyes the corridors soon blurred as she rushed trough them.

Artorius Cale - Aldus, burlywood
Metal clashed against stone, metal scraped metal. Blades and bolts found their mark with ease, yet the arcane construct did not falter as would any man, did not groan, did not reel. It stood strong against the watch's assault, unflinching. Still as the grave, its expressionless face stared into nothing, as if it hadn't even noticed it was under attack. Then it reacted.

The golem's strong arm folded against its chest then swung outward in a wide arc. Some crashed hard against the floor, the wall, their fellows. Some were sent back to the ground floor, cries echoing much the same as the first it had done away with. As those able got back to their feet there came a flash of light that flooded the room for an instant, and in that same instant one could swear they saw the golem's face painted with a broad grin.

Artorius stepped backward and looked to Dane, who had just loaded another bolt. He showed no signs toward flight despite how grim the outcome of this battle was looking from the start and forward, holding his ground and taking shots one after the other. To Art it seemed pointless, watching as each bolt bounced off of the golem, leaving it unharmed as it lashed out surrounding watchmen further. One more shot and the rogue's eyes widened.

The bolt had pushed through. The golem stopped in the middle of drawing an arm back, head twitching sideways then down toward the projectile sticking out of the metallic shoulder joint. Its head snapped up and into Dane's direction. His heart leapt up into his throat and he froze, his breath caught in his throat until the monster's attention was drawn away from him by a watchman's sword that had penetrated its body deeper than the bolt.

There came a scream that seemed to twist and distort on the wind, but it didn't come from the golem. The man who had thrust his blade into it had been driven through by metallic claws and pushed back, held above the floor and against the tower's wall. The tower itself seemed to cry out in pain as the creature's claws twisted and pushed deeper, clean through the man's gut and into the wall.

The few remaining watched on in terror as the golem lashed out with free hand, slashing and stabbing, over and over well after the guardsman had gone lifeless and limp. When finally it snatched its claws free, the poor sod it'd held fell into a pile of his own entrails.

"Don't let up, men! Kill that thing!", Marin ordered in a wavering tone, pointing her sword toward the monster. Said men had already been demoralized by the deaths on the way up the first tower, on the way TO that tower. With this they were paralyzed, they didn't even seem to hear their commander. She looked to each of them, then swallowed hard and cleared her throat in an attempt to bury the fear in her voice. "Cowards.. Fine then, I'll do it myself."

Saying it was one thing, actually doing it was another. For a moment the woman's feet were unwilling to cooperate, and when she did begin to move she was stopped again as the golem started to turn. When it faced her, Marin exhaled and tightened her grip on her sword. She charged forward.

As his commander took action, Dane steeled his resolve and prepared to join her. He shoved his crossbow against Artorius' chest and drew his sword, stepping forward.

Art's hand grabbed his shoulder and he stopped, turning his head slightly. "Don't", the thief told him. Commander Marin struck the golem.

Dane brushed the thief's hand away and moved forward anyway. Marin dodged a blow, struck again.

"You can't help Karissa if you get yourself killed." Marin side-stepped a downward slam, but was hit hard by a following swipe and knocked onto her back.

He stopped again, narrowed eyes widening. Again Artorius was right, and yet..

The commander stood, spat blood at the floor and wiped her mouth. She rushed in again and shoved her sword through the golem's chest, ducking under its reaction swing. Pulling her weapon back out of the monster with surprising ease, she dodged another attack by a hair and blocked yet another. Marin slashed upward and somehow managed to actually sever one of the golem's arms, but was immediately after slapped hard by the remaining arm and sent sailing half across the room back toward Dane.

This close, she looked bad. Very bad. But still she climbed to her feet and went back after the golem who patiently awaited her return, uncaring for its lost limb.

..His commander needed help.

"We have to go now, Dane. If she goes down, we're next. Then who will be left to rescue the hostages? My father? Our mayor? Your friend?"

Vrein Baelithar - Barvelle -The Northern Lights, #285bd2

Immersed in the infatuation of the warmth of Ilsa’s lips, Vrein fell deeper under her spell. Thick with the desire for more of her as their mouths joined in a seductive harmony, pressed to the edge of time as the lovers entered their own worlds, forgetting the importance of the tasks that were required of them. Torn between the call of duty and love Vrein reluctantly walked away from the passionate embrace, settling his eyes upon her once more. Starring longingly at her with a familiar glance of sad adoration “That’s not funny,” pulling away from her.

A small thread of hope tugged at him, the hope that Ilsa might prove him wrong, the hope that her feelings were real “I didn’t mean for it to be funny,” and she did.

“I’ve got some things I need to take care of,” he hesitated for a moment “You have my heart, like you always have.”

A brief moment of silence came between them as he watched Ilsa expectantly, no immediate answer came. Taking that as a signal to take his leave, Vrein began tracing his way back through the tunnel of Barvelle leaving Ilsa to battle with her emotions “…and you have mine”

Vrein Baelithar - A Short While Later - House of Ulgeryn, #285bd2

After forcing his way through the masses that crowded the city streets, Vrein had finally made it to the house of Ulgeryn, forge and home of Oberik Ulgeryn.

Similar to most of the residents the house was a bungalow, it had been delicately carved with intricate patterns of creatures and humans fighting together, equal in life and death as if to be a reminder of the values of the nation. Stepping up onto the balcony Vrein knocked his hand on the door, waiting patiently for a few moments before it was finally answered by a burly middle aged man covered in soot “‘ello lad, wh’a canne du fer ya?” the man’s eyes narrowed “The name’s Baelithar, Ilsa’s said ya’d let me use ya forge,” Vrein replied, dialect beginning to slip.

A well hidden flush of embarrassment passed the man’s face as his expression changed into a glint of excitement “Vrein! Ahv ‘eard a cupl’ o’ rumours abou’ you! I’m v’ry sorry ahn ‘ere I was a thinkin’ tha’ y’u were af’er m’ daugh’er. Vrein Baelithar! Y’ be the lad tha’ ev’rybody been speakin’ about. I ‘ere tha’ yure one part brave three part fool, Com’ o’ in! Ah’ll sho’ y’ t’ the forge.”

Brief introductions were made between Vrein and the Ulgeryn family, they were nice people but Oberik’s excitement was apparent. “y’ see Merissa, this is the kinda lad that you be wantin’, strong - with a man’s job, not tha’ idiot flower boy dahn the way!”

Although taken by Oberik’s overtly friendly manner, the conversation had made Vrein uncomfortable “I don’t mean to be pushy mate but I ‘aven’t got a shit ton of time. Am I alright to start using the forge?” A look of pleasant surprise came over the man’s face “yur a keen one, this way” Oberik lead him to side of the house where a small forge lay connected to the front balcony. “e’rythin’ is there readi f’ y’, if y’ b’ needin’ anythin’ else I’ll get one the lasses t’ go get it fore y’”

“Thank you Oberik.” his hand wandered over the stone forge, surprised at how well kept it was. “She’s beautiful, got any Fool’s ore?” He asked turning back to the older man who was staring at Vrein with a raised eyebrow “I go’ a shit ‘on the stuff, bloody useless crap. Retains the bloody heat but dunna melt, y' c'n only mould it an’ it cools t’ bloody quickly. Wha’ on earth ye be needin’ tha for?”

“To make a tool I used at home. The thin texture, the fact it's impossible to melt and the way it retains a heat is perfect for forging crystal.” Vrein explained, lighting fires of the forge.

“I ne’er thought o’ that, I’d b’ interested to watch y’” the smith remarked with enthusiasm.

“Sure, also…” Vrein went into his pocket and chucked a pouch of coins at Oberik. “If you’ve got any crystals worth around about that much on your, think you could spare any?”

Oberik’s expression swiftly changed when he looked into the pouch, eyes widened with shock “Aye, I’ve got a couple ‘angin about, see if I can grab a coupl' o' rare ones for y’” the smith scuttled away with a smile on his face, returning moments later with several medium sized bags of crystals. “I usually use these t' make the hilts o’ swords with. But if you can sho’ m' otherwise I’d be grateful,”

Under careful inspection Vrein took note of the ores available, turning to his Aux, Ion who nodded thoughtfully

Obsidian, common it is known. Fool’s ore, common it is known. Iron, common it is known. Opal, uncommon, it is known. Kipauwa Shell, rare, unknown.”

Vrein thanked the other smith, resuming his work as Oberik watching him closely. For the first time since arriving to Barvelle Vrein felt like he was close to home. Vrein felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude for Oberik, who had given him the privilege to once again hear the familiar roaring of the forge, the sweet smell of the coals burning in her steaming hot fires and the feel of sweat on his brow as she made him work. Leaving his shirt on the side, Vrein began to mould the Fool’s ore to his will creating a basin to melt the crystal accompanied by and oddly shaped trinket like meld that he intended for the Lady Archon.

“Ion, it is time Vrein called to his aux who immediately understood. “It is time” the bear echoed back to him as a current of blue dust filled the air that flowed from Ion into Vrein's body, their pupils shifting into colours unearthly blue as they starred into the depths of the Kipauwa Shell. Driving deeper into the materials' core, searching for it's deepest secrets.

As a gift of love, the shell was a shield.

As a gift of contempt, the shell was a curse.

Forge at a low heat, cooling will take a short period of time, origin from the depths of Lake Kaikas age hundreds of years.

It would be a reminder of the truths of this world; the truth of darkness, the truth of light, the truth of comfort and the truth of contempt and a reminder to Eirenne of the love that her people held for her, the love that Vrein held for the great leader of his homeland.

Castigarian - Halls of Barvelle, Cadetblue

"Aye, hopefully I can keep ye'both innerested in m'tale in tha' case."

Castigarian followed the Archon and her guardian back out into the halls of Barvelle, and for a time, walked in silence as he pondered how best to go about telling his tale. It would be all fine and well to simply tell her what he knew...but that detracted from the magnitude of what he had to say; without any sense of importance behind his words, his efforts to convince the Archon to allow him passage into the frozen north would be all for naught. He needed something with more...bravado, something that would not only catch her attention, but would garner her interest in his knowledge.

It took him a short time, but thankfully the Archon was as patience as she was graceful, and was just as ready to listen now as when they first started walking.

"If ye both don't mind, allow me t'tell ye a tale"

35kj1w5.jpg

"Long ago, a'fore Pegulis was fully united an' t'frozen north were t'heart of the land, there existed a single man who took t'troubles of the land on his shoulders.

Arcwain, the Shield o'the North he was called. A giant o'a man with strength an' kindness t'match, there weren't a single request for t'people he would turn down. He could hunt any beast, great or small; could cleave any tree no matter how massive; and would house any from the cold bite of winter without a second thought.

They say he stood against the frozen hordes of Caaldöífríech, t'demons o'ice tha' ravaged t'lands o'our ancestors with naught but his bow and axe, easily felling even their dragons with just as much ease. There are also tales of his exploits in huntin' a celestial boar what wandered down from t'heavens and began terrorizin' the lands. Its hide were too thick to pierce with any mortal weapon, but they say with only a single arrow loosed from his great bow, he managed to pierce it through the eye, killin' it outright. For 'is bravery, he was given t'boar's pelt by t'gods along with great blocks of mythical ore torn from t'very heart of the northern lands....Pegulian Ice y'might know it as.

M'grandad always used t'tell me that back in our ancient homeland, beyond the walls tha' separate t'forbidden north from Tavark, lays t'Tomb o' Arcwain, and inside not only lie the weapons an' armor he had in life, but also a cache o'Pegulian Ice left over from his gift."

Castigarian - Halls of Barvelle, Cadetblue
Castigarian finished his tale, his eyes coming back into focus as his mind brought itself from the past back to the present. He knew that his tale sounded like nothing more than what a grandfather would use to put a troublesome child to sleep...but there was more to the story that bade even Castigarian to believe that this could be something more than just a faerie tale. He reached down the front of his shirt and drew up a piece of leather that was looped around his neck...and attached to the bottom was a key that looked to have been hewn from the blackest obsidian.

"This key an' tha' story've been passed down m'family line fer generations. If there's any chance tha' tomb still exists along with its treasures...I think we should take t'chance. Pegulian Ice is said t'be able to stop even dragon's fire cold...an' with war loomin' on all sides, we'll need e'ery advantage we can get. All I ask of ye is permission t'venture in'ta t'forbidden north and t'take a small vanguard o'individuals along with me. Tha's why I needed t'talk t'ye, Lady Archon. D'ya think its worth t'risk?"

Karissa Lisbon — Divination Spire, royalblue
At the top of the Divination Spire, a small group of hostages was kept, arms rope-bound at the wrists behind their backs. They lined the circular battlements of the tower in a half-circle, with Avian refugees from the Aviary standing watch over the only path down. Surges of lightning from the storm occasionally bathed the hostages and their captors in a brief light before fading away. With each strike of lightning came an accompanying vision played in the center of the tower, no longer than several seconds each time.

Visions of murder, of destruction, of love, of war, of laughter, of defiance. It was unclear whether the visions they witnessed were true or false, whether they might be actual premonitions or simply nonsensical visions of arcane magic gone haywire. Sometimes Karissa saw her mother. Dead, dying, wounded, or alive - Karissa had seen visions of them all. It seemed the storm had a knack for playing with emotions.

The captives and captors alike were panicked by the illusions, and had scrambled to the outskirts of the tower to escape them where they remained now. Karissa was among the hostages, as well as Mayor Valeckis, Councilman Cale, their errand boy Nathaniel, and several others from the council and a few Karissa did not recognize. The five-year-old girl could see the other towers along the Aldus wall being gradually deactivated and falling quiet, and held onto the hope that it was Dane, performing some heroic acts of bravery, shutting the towers down one by one.

Another crack of lightning disrupted her concentration, as all eyes on the tower turned to the center of the platform. Attempts at negotiation and thinly-veiled threats from the captives had failed long before Karissa was captured; the illusions provided their only occasional break from silence. They'd become accustomed already, and they remained so idle that there was little choice but to watch the visions unfold.

An image materialized of a Kaustiran woman in a sari, a Draken soldier, and an old man who was tied up similarly to how the hostages were presently. But like the previous images, it faded almost as quickly as it could be recognized. Nonetheless the illusion stirred some unrest in the Avian captors.

"This isn't going to work. Nobody's going to bargain with us while this storm is going on. We'll just have to wait it out," one of the Avians said to his dark-feathered Avian companion.

"No! Once the storm passes, what do you think is going to happen? They'll send men here and have us killed! We need to do this while they're distracted. The storm is perfect cover. We just need to get their attention to let them know we're not fucking around." The Avian looked over their hostages and wondered if any of the other groups of rebels had secured their own. Then, with a devious glint in his eye, he peered over the battlements down to the stone-paved ground nearly 300 meters below.

"What do you say we start dropping them?"

Last edited:
Tavark, darkred

The footfalls were deafening. Louder even than the chants of the marching men. Only one noise rang louder as the men approached the outer wall of the city.

BRONNNNNGGGNNNNNMMMGGGGNNNNN!

BRROOOOOOONNNNMMMMMMNNGGGGGNNNNNMMMMM!!!

"Horrikson you old fucking fool!"

BRRROOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGNNNNMMMMNNNNNNNGGGGNNNMMM!!!

Eimund's laughter became the second sound to overtake the footfalls.

Tavark Backstreets

The group of five made their silent way through the paths and lanes of the town, Ture and Lyorn heading up the squad, taking turns to take point and go first as the two soldiers held up the rear.

There was tangible unease, not because of the fear of discovery but because of the suspicious lack of any of the raiders. The streets were completely barren, and under the diffuse glow of the Aurora were quite eerie while deserted.

Ture pressed his back against the wood of a small house, leaning around the corner slowly. They were almost at the storage houses and surely if there was going to be opposition it would be here.

Ture grimaced in the eerie light. There was no-one around, there was barely a sound. "I don't like this at all" the avian grumbled to himself as he motioned the group onwards.

Tavark Gate, darkred

The gate rattled and clanked as it was draw up, the heavy metal portculis causing the massive oaken frame to creak, but the timber would not fail.

Raiders lined the battlements of the walls, fighting each other for prime position as two men stepped out to stand under the gate. One raised a horn to his lips, it's design mirrored that of the one Horrikson's men held, though it was worn, years of seasalt had dulled the details and tarnished the metals. It still worked however, the bellowing noise reaching far and wide across the fields surrounding Tavark.

The second figure was Eimund and as the horn sounded he raised his arms, sword in one and the white shield in the other.

The challenge had been accepted.

Tavark Storage Halls

Amara watched as the villagers quietly shuffled out of the halls. She'd been left on her own as Ture was filling in his guild master on the events that had transpired and the soldiers began leading the way back to the culvert. The townsfolk had begun to form into small mobs that quietly shuffled through the paths and alleys that they had used to get here.

The lack of resistance had been all but forgotten in the relief of finding the mostly unharmed townspeople and being able to free them. But as the last few of the towns folk emptied from the gutted buildings the huntress felt a painful sinking feeling in her belly. She looked to her Aux Tang for comfort but his expression mirrored hers and she found herself looking to the lights in the sky.

"Mother?"

Tavark Great Hall, darkred

Suvius stood over a barrel in the great hall. His gaunt features twisted into a smile as he stared into the ink-black waters within. He could see through their eyes and what he could see was promising.

The townsfolk were going to escape but this hardly concerned him. They were not his prizes. He watched as the girl ran off alone, and had eyes on the Avian and the captain.

He also watched as the larger group of fifteen soldiers crept closer to the great hall.

He licked his lips as he watched them be killed.

Tavark Alleys

"Wait.. Where's Amara?" Ture stopped, Dion stopping a few second later and turning around. The avian looked genuinely worried as he ran through in his mind the last time he'd seen her, outside of the store houses.

"Ture…" Dion started, but he knew he couldn't stop the avian.

"Look after everyone Dion!" Ture said as he about turned and began to run back the way he came. He dashed through the narrow back-streets, trying to take a quick glimpse down every street and alley. He had a building sense of dread, he couldn't place it though, and were the alleys getting darker?

He began to slow his pace, getting more and more wary of rounding corners. His stepped slowed to a stop as he felt a gaze on him, and turning to look down an alleyway he froze. There was the swaying figure of a young girl, her hair plastered over her face which seemed to be held in a permanent, silent scream. Light seemed to pour from her eyes and mouth as she tilted her head to regard him.

There was a noise from behind him and he turned just in time to flap and propel himself away from the swinging butcher's knife. The blade did however cut into his pouch and out rolled a small red bundle. The second child, a boy, his face similarly in a sort of glowing scream faced downwards to regard the bundle before it hissed and shot off into the sky.

The red flare filled the air, obvious against the backdrop of the aurora.

Eimund Accepts

"Red? Fuck!" The General said aloud yet low. "And now, Eimund? How will you react?"

The red burst filled the sky above the city and was gone. Eimund looked up in surprise with the rest of the men, wondering what it was, then knowing what it was, then laughing hysterically. "You're in 'eh? HA HA HA HAAA! So be it, you sneaky fuck!" Grabbing the horn he called back once again "BRONNNGGGMNNN", short and loud, even the horn bellow sounded eager to fight.

Horriksson took Eimund's acceptance and quickly charged, quickly closing the gap. As he ran, he turned gold and silver and white, the three colors swirling around him like a glittering haze. As the mist made it's way up his frame, he grew, and as he reached Eimund, he was standing nearly twice his height.

"Ready to pay, Eimund?"

"Only if it's with your blood, Horriksson!"
*CRASH!*

The Generals weapons had also grown, and a one ton axe certainly leaves a mark in the ground when being swung by a giant. The general took pause to catch his balance, pulling back and resetting his footing. He swung again, this time flat across with his short sword, straight at Eimunds nose. He missed, Eimund rolling back and out of the way with ease. The raider king quickly jumped forward, stepping astride the giant's axe shaft and grabbing his massive beard. "You're too slow, you fucking giant!" He said lunging toward Horrikssons neck. The General quickly turned his head to the right, flinging Eimund off and away with a sharp flick.

Horriksson knew he had little time before his advent's power would wear away, so, with all his might and fury and focus, he let loose his giant axe, shooting it out in a straight line, no pitch, no spin, the head laying flat as it smacked into the glistening scales of Eimund's shield. The shield held strong, truely a sight to behold, but Eimund lay broken, his ribs shattered, his shield arm broken. As Horrisson began to shrink back down, Eimund looked up to the walls.
"GO AHEAD!!! DO IT!!!"

As soon as the bloody scream came ringing out, each man on the wall took up a bow hidden at their feet, nocked it, and fired, fiddling the poor General from head to toe.

As soon as Rath had made his dastardly move, Second Captain Blackclaw was already halfway there, discarding his weapons and running on all fours. Eimund scrambled under the portcullis, and gave the frenzied order to shut it behind him. But the bear leapt forward, thrusting it up again with one hand, swiping at the traitor with the other. Just beyond his reach, Rath ran off into the misty streets and disapeared, men then collapsing in upon the huge Anima. Still swiping, he looked back "THE FLARE!!! AND CHARGE!!!", his second order already being followed, his men running fast for the opening. Several men quickly took out their flare bags, slinging a flare high into the say, sending grand purple flashes everywhere in the night, like children of the aurora.

Still swiping, Blackclaw, now beset by scores of Eimunds filthy raiders, grabbed one of the men by the arm, pulling him in and biting through his helmet like cheese, spurting brains and blood in all directions. Dropping the corpse he continued to swing outward, catching another careless man on the chin, ripping away his jaw, leaving a ragged mess of gore. The man screamed out a guttural yelp from his throat alone before he took another glancing swipe from the bears namesake claws, caving in his temple and sending him spinning to the ground. Just then a long spear came trusting at his left shoulder, the one holding the gate. He grasped for the shaft, but it's wielder was quick, moving his strike upward and into the back of the Captain's elbow, causing the heavy gate to slam down upon him, spiking his shoulder. Now pinned, but with his men finally making their way up to the breach, he let out a roar "GO!! GET THROUGH!!", still looking forward, still swiping and still ripping careless raiders to shreds. Pinning one more down, crushing him in the dust, he looked up to see ten or more men, all with bows, all drawn. "LOOSE!" They fired.

*THUD*

The great bear's paw came crashing back to the ground, it having been raised to shield himself, to no avail. More than one of the arrows having hit directly in his neck, one having hit in the left eye, no doubt entering the brain. He was dead, but yet he stood, still prying up the gate for his men. They poured through, enraged by the deaths of the General and Captain. Running and screaming they stormed in, but were stopped ten feet in, meeting a wall of fifty bulwarks of flesh; huge mountains of men, these raiders were, with strong shields and thick armor for head and breast.

They moved inward, pushing the soldiers back out the gate, inward and tighter together, until one brave soldier thrust his spear at just the right moment, in just the right area, hitting a raider beneath the visor, killing him instantly. The men too their chance forcing the opening wider. A few spilled out, too quick and agile for Eimunds men, making it around their backs and striking without hesitation. More raiders went down, opening the gap further, until the wall was fragmented beyond recognition. Now Rath's men were surrounded, fighting in small islands in the tide of blue capes and gleaming steel helmets. They stood firm, each island pushing out, tearing through plate with giant axes and smashing men into the dirt with even larger hammers. And so it went. The soldiers began flowing into the city, looking for Eimund, but quickly went back as they realized the battle would not be as easily won as they had hoped. The fight was quite even, despite the massive numerical advantage the army sported; these men were strong, fed, and seemed to fight with a certain zeal, seldom seen outside of stories and song.

Last edited:
Dane Myros - Aldus - The Divination Spire, gold
A decision had to be made, and it had to be made now. There was little time for hesitation. It was his responsibility to save Karissa, or at least he felt so; in his mind, it was his failure that let her get captured in the first place... but could he live with leaving his commander behind like this? Dane held no fondness for her, surely, however...

"Just... just get out of here, the two of you..." The bedraggled guard commander stumbled forward, sword dragging along the floor, steel scraping the ground. "This... this battle is lost..." despite her words, despite her bloodied state and her battered body, she was steadfast in her decision to face the beast head on, weakly raising her weapon as she hobbled back over its way.

Having no concept of mercy, the amalgamation of metal and brick that was the golem raised its remaining arm, spindly fingers melding together to form a crude, scythe-like blade. Marin took a defensive stance, shakily gripping the hilt with both hands. Down the arm came, a slash that removed her last line of defense, blade clattering to the ground. Defeated, her knees gave way, bruised face looking up in defiance of her combatant, not afraid to face fate.

"Do it, you ugly son of a bitch!" The executioner's hook moved to seal the deal. Death soared towards her neck, intending to cleanly remove her head.

There was no spray of blood. Where the golem had meant to sever flesh and bone, white bled from the wound rather than red, a light so blinding the creature raised its arm to shield its face. The gash along her neck seemed to seal of its own volition, Marin rising to her feet and feeling at her own throat, surprised she was unharmed, even less alive. Her form was enveloped in a warm glow, coated and apparently protected by the aura.

Not far behind her, Dane clutched his forearm, breath ragged. The light from his signet had faded, his advent expended as a last ditch effort to save her life. Grabbing Artorius by the coat, he pulled him close, determination burning in his gaze. "Art... I'm leavin' it to ya. Ya gotta find a way up there. Save 'em. Save Karissa. Save yer pa, save all of 'em."

With that, he let a stunned Artorius go. The thief reached out for him as he charged ahead, trying to find some way to dissuade Dane from going to his death... but there seemed to be no stopping him now. He cursed, eyes looking to the staircase that lead downward, to the crossbow in his hands.

"Keep 'em busy!" Dane called out to his commander, tearing across the platform. With her renewed strength, Marin grabbed up her sword and waded back into battle with the golem, dodging its deathly blade arm while landing glancing blows to keep it distracted.

"I hope you know what you're doing!" She made her reservations known, barely managing to duck underneath a broad horizontal sweep. Seeing an opening, her sword found its way into the construct's pelvis, eliciting a distorted cry, the singularity at the golem's core flaring up. Just as she buried her blade in it, so too did its scythe bury in her back, cutting through steel plate like paper.

She screamed in agony, more light spilling out from within her grievous cut. In one brutal motion the arm was pulled free, and she was kicked square in the chest, tumbling several feet away. The golem came ambling after, some semblance of anger in its demeanor, if it were even capable of feeling such a thing.

It didn't get far. A few steps forward and suddenly it arched its back in pain, writhing. Dane had dashed around, out if its direct line of sight, and while it was distracted with Marin he'd closed the gap, impaling it right through its centered mass of energy. The sword glided in like it was passing through gelatin, the defined shape of the golem wavering.

The blade within became superheated, conducting to Dane's gauntlets, forcing him to lose his grip. The construct hunched over, swelling with arcane power. The magics that held it together in its distinct form had become disrupted, unstable; stone and metal fragments ripped off, thrown in all directions. Dane was hit by some of the flak, a stray shard of metal striking him in the shoulder, knocking him flat with a pained gasp. He was hazardously close to the edge.

He looked up from his wound, the hulking beast looming over him now. It was in its death throes, but seemed determined to take one more soul along with it. It raised its arm for one final strike, but never got its chance; a bolt struck the monster from behind, clanking against the back of its head. As it was set off balance, Dane took the opportunity, pulling the sword free from its crotch and thrusting it into the already weakened core.

The golem's shriek was unearthly, earsplitting. Pieces dropping from its body, it fell to the wayside, toppling over the side of the platform in a rain of debris that exploded in crackling lightning during the descent.

Artorius strode up to Dane, one hand clutching the crossbow, the other offered to his friend. "Couldn't let you go and get yourself killed. Don't think your little friend would forgive me." Panting, clutching his arm in pain, the country boy started laughing, euphoric in their close victory.

"Heheh... Yeah, I don't reckon she would."

Last edited:

Tavark

As soon as Jarrikssdotter exited the tent and saw the red flare, she had everyone move into position. The catapults moved just out of the forest edge and the army marched out in front but stayed just out of range of the archers. They had one more flare to wait for before they began the siege.

Darin and Raige stood with his forty men. Jarrikssdotter had tasked them with taking the breach when the siege machines had done their duty. It meant that every man under his command would be first to fight and some, first to die. It was a tall order, but one every man was willing to pay. This had become more than a job to these men, it had become duty beyond work. Raige and all his fellow Tavarkians needed this. Their home had been invaded and friends had betrayed them. Their loved ones were murdered, raped, or herded like cattle for some other amusement.

The sound of the acceptance horn filled the air and Darin's eyes flicked to Jarrikssdotter. She did her best to conceal her fear for her aging father, but Darin caught glimpses of her concern. She was a strong warrior and a more than capable captain. At that moment, she was also a worried daughter. Her eyes met Darin's and steeled when she saw the look of sympathy flashed her way. He nodded to her, but saw her shoulders drop ever so slightly when Horriksson's horn blew short. The duel had begun.

Jarrikssdotter then left the ranks, pulling her mount in front of her men. She turned and faced them. Her eyes surveying them all. Some wavered ever so slightly most likely plagued with the idea of fighting friends and, in some cases, family. Others stared at the proud walls of their home in anger. Their home had been taken by a monster and monsters deserved nothing but the death that awaited them.

Darin's eyes looked toward the general's army. Horriksson was the last hope of any form of peaceful ending. He had to win that duel or men on both sides would die. Then one flare launched into the air. Darin held his breath. It exploded into purple light. Suddenly dozens of purple flares went off. With the sky filled with purple, the catapults let loose their cargo. The battle for Tavark had begun.

The rocks slammed into the wall with such force, the ground shook. The dust that had settled on them floated into the air. Darin's eyes settled on Raige. The wolf seemed more than eager to get inside and that impatience showed. He sighed and clasped his hand over Raige's shoulder as the catapults let loose the next barrage, "Stay close and watch my back. We will both make it through this if you listen, my friend," the ground shook again.

Raige looked at Darin and brought a slow breath from Darin. Raige wanted blood. If Darin had really seen this before, he would have held Raige back and found another capable soldier to do Raige's job, but it was far too late for that. Darin had to trust that when the time came, Raige wouldn't abandon duty for vengeance.

The ground shook again, but it was accompanied by the sound of stone giving way and falling to the ground. The wall was weakening. The battle could be heard raging on where Horriksson's men were and the men were becoming antsy to join their brothers and sisters in arms.

Two more barrages and the wall finally gave out. Darin raised his sword and pointed toward the breach, his forty men roared as they charged toward the hole. This was the kill zone and Darin's men were the first to reach it as they crossed the line that marked archer range. The whistle of arrows filled the air and Darin paused, raised his shield with the others and waited. The arrows fell and the cries of men who were unlucky enough to get hit filled the air. No time to check on them, the breach had to be taken.

"Charge!" Darin roared again and his men poured into the small opening in the wall. Darin raised his shield to block the axe of the raider before he pushed it aside and thrust his sword through the man's ribs. He crumbled to the ground.

Advents littered the battlefield as men on both sides tapped into Aux to gain the advantage. Friend fought friend and family fought family as Darin's unit began to show signs of taking the breach. The raiders were falling back inch by inch and his men advanced.

Then his line exploded in a rain of bodies. One raider led the counterattack and Darin's line faltered. His men began to back up toward the wall. There was no surrender, no losing. To lose this breach would spell an even longer battle.

"Hold the line!" Darin yelled, but the men kept giving way. Darin turned to ask Raige to put an arrow in that raider, but Raige was no where to be found. Darin had been left alone by his squire, "Damn it, Raige," he growled before he gripped his blade and charged toward the leading raider. There was something familiar about the mace wielding warrior. Then it set in just as Darin reached him. It was the raider that had whipped him.

Darin raised his shield just as the man swung his mace. His shield took the attack and Darin swung his sword. The raider dodged and brought his mace back around. Darin cried out as the mace slammed into his plated arm. More of a shock than painful, Darin recovered and readied himself.

A sick grin spread across the man's lips as he began to glow. An advent. Darin's jaw clenched but before he could attack, another soldier charged the raider. His weapon struck true but shattered into pieces. It was the last thing the soldier did before the mace caved in his skull. Blood splattered onto Darin. The raider's advent made his skin hard as rock.

His secret out now, the raider launched a relentless attack on Darin. It took all his might just to block the blows. His shield arm grew sore but he pushed the pain aside and held his defense. Then a meaty paw wrapped around the side of Darin's shield and tore the wood from his arm. Darin raised his sword to party the mace but was kicked to the ground. Darin's sword clattered and fell amongst the dead. He was unarmed and at the mercy of a raider he had thoroughly embarrassed a week before.

The raider flashed the same grin as he raised his mace to bring it down on the paladin. The sound of hooves pounding against the ground drew the raider's attention and before he could react, a spear passed straight through his chest. His advent had ended and so had his life.

Darin looked up to find Jarrikssdotter dismount her horse and retrieve her spear. The rest of the army had arrived. She drew her sword and threw it to Darin, who had hurried to his feet. Darin nodded a thanks and then hurried to the line. The battle was far from over.

The Battle for Tavark
"Stay close and watch my back. We will both make it through this if you listen, my friend,"
Those words were a haunting presence in the back of Raige's mind as he passed through the breach. Darin would be looking for him to be there, to have his back. That realization made him want to rethink things, to turn around and go to Darin's aid; as the real plan called for. He couldn't. The purple flares were beacons in the aurora. beacons that Horrikson had lost that duel, that the plan was already starting to fall apart. Darin was too much of an honor bound fool to realize it, but Raige would not let the mist of war and compassion cloud his vision.

The war raged on, and the familiar sound of family and friends being butchered littered the air. Fire had been set to brimstone and the distant sound of swords clashing with shields echoed in his ears. To Raige, it was as though the fight was happening alla round him and he could feel his pulse quickening.
Fear?

Raige continued on, travelling down the dark pass of alleyways. He would do his best to avoid conflict; at least until he found Eimund himself. If Horrikson wasn't able to do it in fair combat, then Raige would be sure to finish the job with an arrow through the heart. That was how he thought, that was his plan.

Ahead of him, Raige noticed two shadows approaching. Each of them held a weapon, and they were moving fast in his direction. Raige shook, fear prodded at him now that he was not in his beloved forest. He had never fought to kill in this city, he had never been a soldier; not like his father. Still, he knocked an arrow and waited as the first of the two came around the corner. His fingers let loose and the arrow found its mark. One of the humans dropped and the other charged.

Raige had not time to knock another arrow. He had to move quickly. The mans voice made it hard to think. "You bastard wolf I'll skin ye alive!" Raige had to rely on instinct, the adrenaline that now coursed through every fiber of his body. Raige kicked off the ground and passed one foot against the building to his right before he kicked off and passed his hands on top of the roof. he pulled himself up and away from the danger below. The man tried to follow but it was too late. Raige had already knocked another arrow and lodged it right through the humans head.

This is real.
Raige thought to himself and tried to control his breathing. His body convulsed with a mixture of fear and adrenaline. I am killing men, killing people in my own Village. He almost balled up and puked off the side of the roof, but he held his composure. A familiar scent filled the air, and when Raige directed himself in the direction of the scent he recognized the shadow of a man.

In the distance, right outside the Great hall of Tavark, Raige could see the sorcerer that stood by Eimund. All guilt, and pity fell away from him as he stood up and glared in that direction. He had to remember his plan, he had to save this Village. No matter what. It was hard to think of the noble aspects of his mission. Very hard when he remembered them.

Memory of their deaths:
"Get out of here Eimund, If you think I am stupid about your over all reason for being here with him, then you are dreadfully mistaken." A large Wolf anima stood before the Great hall, before Eimund. In his hand he held a long curved blade and his grey eyes bore down upon the captain's soul. Eimund sputted laughter, and turned to his own group of Raiders. "Know your place pup, Tavark is mine!"

The battle came swiftly after. The large Wolf was not going to hand Tavark over to this mad man for anything, not as long as he lived. Men were killed and just like now Raige had watched it all. he had stood frozen atop a building and watched as his friends and family were slaughtered. His father was gutted on the spot by Eimund himself, after bolts had put him on his knees. Then that dark shadow to the bastard Eimund, he would never forget that twisted smile. Suvius cut his mother at her center and left her to bleed out. Suvius murdered his mother and unborn sister in front of him. {End Memory}

Raige remembered, that smile even now, but unlike then; he was ready to take everything away from him. Raige continued along his path, stealthily, moving from building to building. He passed many more soldiers. His path was clear. Suvius was there, and Eimund was bound to be near by, he expected. He would kill both of them for what they had done. This was his plan.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.