Patriots Deflated Footballs

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ElBell

Recently, the Patriots have been under fire for supposedly deflating footballs to gain an advantage in their game against the Colts. Several of the Patriot-issued footballs were under regulation levels of inflation according to NFL standards, and it's been debated if that had caused them a victory to land in the Super Bowl coming up this Sunday, February 1st. It's also been suspected that a locker room attendant at the stadium for the game was at fault for the deflated footballs, but as of now it's not been certain if the incident can be pinned on the employee.

What are your thoughts on the current investigation surrounding the Indianapolis Colts vs. New England Patriots game? Should it effect the Super Bowl and the teams present? What penalties should be issued, if any at all?

Nobody-cares-spongebob.jpg

Over-payed sports-casters talking about something every over-payed team does but acting like it's a real issue.

This fills 90% of all news, meanwhile people are dying everywhere.

This is essentially why I can't listen to American news anymore.

Really.

Nobody should care. The extent of my care was when my teacher named our cheat sheet the "official deflated football sheet". Fill all the footballs with helium for the shits I give.

Reactions: Faithviper
"Free tire pressure checks for Patriots fans!"

Best mechanic sign ever.

Also, old news. Shouldn't be allowed to play in the super bowl, coach has been fined half a million for spying on another team already. What's that tell you about the teams integrity?

Reactions: Faithviper
"Free tire pressure checks for Patriots fans!"

Best mechanic sign ever.

Also, old news. Shouldn't be allowed to play in the super bowl, coach has been fined half a million for spying on another team already. What's that tell you about the teams integrity?

Maybe they should be renamed the New England Patriot Act.

Not that I keep up with handegg in any way, but there's been such a damn fuss over this that even I heard about it. I read an article saying that the level of deflation likely wasn't enough to cause much of a difference. Even if it was, surely both teams were affected equally.

I'm putting it down to people making a big to-do about nothing to artificially inject spectacle into their boring ass lives to fill it up with more drama and excitement. It was probably just a mistake, but when it comes to stuff like the superbowl teams and fans alike throw aside sportsmanship and graceful acceptance of defeat to froth at the mouths instead.

While I can obviously see the consensus generally being that most on Iwaku don't care about football, I somewhat do care.

I think it shows bad sportsmanship, greed, and low moral character. And I can agree with not caring to an extent and that overshadowing greater or more tragic events is a shame and it showcases one of the flaws of modern media. I do enjoy watching football, I don't enjoy, and mostly try to ignore, the pageantry and the excess they throw into the sport and the money that is so blatantly thrown around. Though that can be said for a good number of things really.

Not that I keep up with handegg in any way, but there's been such a damn fuss over this that even I heard about it. I read an article saying that the level of deflation likely wasn't enough to cause much of a difference. Even if it was, surely both teams were affected equally.

I'm putting it down to people making a big to-do about nothing to artificially inject spectacle into their boring ass lives to fill it up with more drama and excitement. It was probably just a mistake, but when it comes to stuff like the superbowl teams and fans alike throw aside sportsmanship and graceful acceptance of defeat to froth at the mouths instead.
An over inflated ball is harder to grip, a less filled one can be gripped tighter and caught easier.

Also each team brings their own balls for offense. So someone expecting to grab a firm ball won't grip the same as someone expecting to grab and squeeze a less filled ball, which could lead to a fumble. The opposing team collected the pats balls and kept saying they felt off.

When it's your million dollar career to catch and use something, you tend to know its ins and outs and if something's even slightly askew.

And yes, it can be all talk. But the principle is the same in the matter.

On the internet it often seems like the people who get the most heated about football are the ones who don't even care about it.

Reactions: Peter Feels
An over inflated ball is harder to grip, a less filled one can be gripped tighter and caught easier.

Also each team brings their own balls for offense. So someone expecting to grab a firm ball won't grip the same as someone expecting to grab and squeeze a less filled ball, which could lead to a fumble. The opposing team collected the pats balls and kept saying they felt off.

When it's your million dollar career to catch and use something, you tend to know its ins and outs and if something's even slightly askew.

And yes, it can be all talk. But the principle is the same in the matter.
I should have clarified - what I meant is that the article I saw said that apparently they were only like a couple of percent below the regulation inflation, which was unlikely to have made that significant a difference in how easy they were to throw/catch/whatever. But then again, this was one article that I only skimmed.

If it turns out it was intentional and did make a difference, then I'm absolutely for action being taken based on the principle of fair play. What I meant was that I suspect this was, in reality, an accident and probably didn't make all too large a difference, and that the opposing side is latching onto it as an excuse or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.