Patriotism

Are you patriotic to your country?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, there's problems with Canada that need to be addressed, especially concerning the treatment of native Canadians. However, I think that being patriotic doesn't mean you can't acknowledge or even see the flaws of your country; sometimes it can mean working to change those flaws to make your country better.
The bold part was what had me start up this thread in the first place. Can someone be patriotic while acknowledging the country has faults? That's what was confusing me and making me indecisive.

I've traveled and lived in a couple of countries, one known for being one of the worst crime ridden countries, the other known for its corruption as well as crime. While Canada may have its faults, every time I return, I feel a huge sense of relief. I know I'm in relative safety, I know that my rights will, for the most part, be stood up for. I truly love my country and feel grateful and blessed that I was born and raised here.

So I guess that'd make me somewhat patriotic?

The bold part was what had me start up this thread in the first place. Can someone be patriotic while acknowledging the country has faults? That's what was confusing me and making me indecisive.

I've traveled and lived in a couple of countries, one known for being one of the worst crime ridden countries, the other known for its corruption as well as crime. While Canada may have its faults, every time I return, I feel a huge sense of relief. I know I'm in relative safety, I know that my rights will, for the most part, be stood up for. I truly love my country and feel grateful and blessed that I was born and raised here.

So I guess that'd make me somewhat patriotic?

I'd think so.

• Thank You
Reactions: Greenie
On a side note it's important to distinguish patriotism from nationalism. You can be proud of your countrymen without admiring all the actions of its government/society (patriotism) but if you give praise to the concept of the nation itself, without a second thought, it just becomes purified nationalism.

• Thank You
However, to care for something is never particularly wrong. I just don't place my eggs in the nationalism
^ This

I'm a student of history. And while I think one can adhere to an idea, and truly love an idea, I tend to avoid a way of thinking that suggests that an idea can only exist as part of a certain nation, or a time period within that nation as if it exists in a vacuum.

I'm a patriot in that there are ideas in my country that I find to be truly wonderful and beautiful.
And I love those ideas. There's a rich culture and history as well.
I don't think patriotism removes the responsibility from my country or from myself or other individuals within it to ignore current, past, or future issues.
Critique is not a tearing down, it's just analysis.

((I'll also take this moment to acknowledge, that having grown up in my country, I'm going to harbor some internalized norms and mores that probably makes me feel like this is the best place for me to live. Because this is my home as I have always known it.))

I define nationalism as sort of a blind patriotism. An unwavering devotion to something without allowing for criticism or discussion. A leftover of baser human instincts, othering to protect the concept of oneself and bolster community at a basic level.

I know some folks define these as the same thing however, and by definition nationalism is just patriotism moved toward a logical extreme. So I could understand if someone were to say that I am not patriotic. And I'd accept that interpretation as well.

I guess I am sort of patriotic. But I am in a country rife with Jingoism, Nativism and Nationalism (all mixed in a big bowl of fuckery). So I see what happens when people use patriotism to mask dangerous and utterly selfish mindsets

• Thank You
I have to admit, this thread was way more enlightening than I had thought it would be, so thanks a lot for all the replies. ^_^

Meh. Not really. I can't say I'm patriotic towards the political boundaries that form the United States. It's a decent place to live. I wouldn't die for this country, or any other. I would die to protect myself and the ones I love.

• Thank You
I love my country. I love it even when it's leaders fuck up and its citizens do dumb stuff; I don't judge the whole by the parts.

I love it's mountains, prairies, and lakes. I love the rivers and forests and wide open skies. I love maple syrup and beaver tails and poutine. I don't follow Hockey but I love how hyped its fans get. I love bannock and watching aboriginal dances.

I love this country in the way that makes my heart feel full and sometimes heavy. When we do something good I am so, so proud. When we fuck up, I bend backward to try and help fix it. When someone bad mouths my country, it feels like they've bad mouthed my family.

So yes, I'd say I'm a patriot

How patriotic are you guys?​
I'm not a Patriot.

Canada is a good country, but I'm still going to critique it and judge it just the same. I don't feel my obligation to invest my loyalty to geography, and Canada honestly I feel would need to earn said loyalty. Something the way it treats education has been doing a very good with at making sure I'm not loyal to them.

I've already been eyeing Europe as a place I might fancy moving to in my mid-Adult years anyways. They overall just seem to have better priorities than Canada.

-------------------------------------

Also, when I look at humanity's history, I look at Patriotism and how much blood has been spilled for little more than pride. Or hatred towards someone else for being from somewhere different I feel nothing but shame and disappointment. I want to see a day where such division among people stops, and one of the best ways we can do that is to simply accept ourselves as "The Human Race" end of story.

Countries for me really only serve as a way to divide people, and create a very easy "Us vs Them" scenario in times of fear, war and/or when scapegoats are needed. And becoming patriotic to one country, effectively declaring your bias towards one group of people over all others goes directly against that.
What does patriotism mean to you? How do you define it (regardless of what the dictionary says)?
A strong unwavering dedication to a Nation. You look out for your nation and your nation alone, and it becomes your own baby to the point you don't really need to care about the flaws because "__________ is great!". Granted I've seen some people here defend Patriotism as just liking the country... But I feel that's more just pride or agreeance than it is Patriotism.

Basically it boils down to the "Faith vs Reason" debate.

Faith is Patriotism, you just 'believe' your Country is great. You think this because you were born in said religion country. Yours is the right one, the others are all doing it wrong. Others might be able to show good reasons as to why yours has problems, but those don't matter because you "Have Faith" in your country.

Pride is Reason, you like your Country. It has ideals like your own, you have a mutual reason to like and respect it. You might disagree with others but they aren't automatically worse. Some might even have other ways to doing things you also like, but just not as much. If someone comes with evidence that yours has a problem, you are willing to listen to it, examine the evidence and then change your stance accordingly.
Meh. Not really. I can't say I'm patriotic towards the political boundaries that form the United States. It's a decent place to live. I wouldn't die for this country, or any other. I would die to protect myself and the ones I love.
You're an honorary Canadian though. Would you be Patriotic of Canada? :P

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.