Patrimony [Viverescribere & Nemopedia]

ARTIST TAG
HAAKON FREDERIC NISSEN

He didn’t want to leave the palace. Haakon could remember the night that it happened so well. The sudden panic that stifled the royal palace, then the rush of feet and the clamour of iron. Haakon had been too young to fight along, only to be carried out as Artem had swaddled him in his cloak and pushed him through the many secret passageways that were only known to the Nissen, or should have been, for his parents never made it out of the castle and Haakon found himself alone.

Haakon hadn’t wanted for a lot of things to happen, he recalled, wanting to snide it back at the female, but his tongue felt heavy and his mind wore on heavier as he felt himself drift away instead. The news of his childhood friend, ‘Elly’ he had called her, like this hostage for some reason. Was this his revenge on her? For her father taking away what was his, but most of all for taking away his happy life?

“Free?” the male finally made himself say, the last remark of the noble lady striking him in a way that didn’t make sense. “Stupid Elly,” he breathed, remembering another time he had scolded his friend in the same way. ’Stupid Elly,’ he had said as a child after a particular fight. How spoiled he had been, how childlike. That he could worry about who could fit the most tarts in their pockets instead of worrying about being found and taking back his birthright. Free? Haakon felt chained more than ever now, knowing that revealing that he had survived would mean his life was claimed, and that going on with his life meant wasting it.

“Stupid Elly,” he droned on again, without anything to follow up other than that he felt an undeniable need to repeat the insult, his hand covering over his eyes as he continued to lie there on the bed, his mind drifting between memories and their current predicament.

And yet he couldn't find the energy in himself to make true on his promise, instead he rolled over his side, deep tired eyes cast over the female at the table who, now that he recalled it again, looked a bit like the Elly of his childhood, the one who played princess now at court. "If this is free I'm sorry to disappoint," Haakon scoffed, a sarcastic smile crossing his expression before he pushed himself up again, forcing himself to move as he went over to his bookcase, looking over the titles he owned.

"I don't own any romances or heroic tales you ladies love so much," he continued as if nothing had happened whatsoever, the addendum following that he had thrown out those stories long ago, his heart and his childlike make-belief of them long since shattered. "But maybe you can get out of it wiser, if not more durable," he sighed instead, fingers trailing over the many pharmacy books he owned instead, amongst the books about astrology and travel journals in general.

Speech colour: #5b807e

Elswyth Mary D'Ambrisio

The young woman's shoulders tightened at his insult. Stupid Elly. Why did that ring so familiar? Even the way he said it, with that condescending tone as if she should have known better and that he was right. Irritated that she didn't know that he was right.

He spoke so well, as if he belonged in her circles. His literation and pronunciation seeming to belong to a noble, not some bandit. A quick glance had her thinking that if he was dressed in the some of the finest silks available to those in court, he would undoubtedly fit in. No one would be any the wiser.

She would have preferred that. To be back in court with him in an environment she knew and could manipulate. Where she was in control. She knew who the vipers were and who to trust. However on this ship, with this man, it was clear that she would not have such luxuries. She hated not knowing what would happen or where things were going.

So she bit her tongue. Swallowed back the demand that he stopped calling her that - Stupid Elly. Because she wouldn't have been surprised if he was the sort to continue such insults just to get under her skin. She also didn't linger on his comment about being free. They would surely just argue about it. How she saw it, he was free. Free to live his life how he wanted. To love who he wanted. To marry who he wanted. To wear and eat and go where he chose. Unlike her. Even before becoming Princess, Elly knew that her life would always be decided for her.

Elswyth stilled as he joined her at the bookcase, refusing to move but skin itching with the phantom feeling of his arm brushing against hers. "...I grew out of them when I was younger." She confessed, keeping her eyes on the astrology book she had pulled out from within the case. She had stopped reading them when she was seventeen, instead busying herself with the knowledge she believed she would need to run a kingdom.

Not that it mattered.

"You realise how incorrect those books are about love and heroes when you're attending court almost every day of your life."
She murmured, gently peeling the book open and flickering through the pages. "So you needn't worry. My head isn't completely stuffed with fantasy. Although I am sure you will always think otherwise." She couldn't help the final comment, keeping her eyes on the chapter she had started to mindlessly read as she lingered in front of the bookcase.

ARTIST TAG
HAAKON FREDERIC NISSEN

He remembered his days as a prince. How he loved the fairy tales and the tales of heroes, how he would string his maids along to play witches and princesses and dragons as he would slay and save and fight. Back then ascending the throne seemed to be so natural, such a given fact, that he had never given it more thought than that he hoped he could be a prince for longer and save his own princess from the clutches of evil before becoming king.

He wondered if he would be the noble next to him had he remained as a prince. What sort of prince would he have been if his house hadn’t fallen?

“It surprises me that the Louet allows you to attend, much less at all and so often,” Haakon remarked, the earlier murmur striking him as odd. Why would an unmarried lady find herself so deep in court and so often? Why, if she wasn’t part of the direct royal family?

“Or was your old lover rather the young prince?” The inquiry came out like a snide, sharp and mocking as he glared at the female, wondering if he had been lied to, or if he had managed to pick up a treasure unaware. The scenarios seemed so unlikely, and yet he felt that there were few other explanations. After all, why else would she be allowed within the circles he hadn’t even found himself yet due to age?

Speech colour: #5b807e

Elswyth Mary D'Ambrisio

She had made a mistake. And he had noticed. Why was she so surprised that he had pounced on her confession? He was like a snake, coiled up and aggressive, ready to strike whenever she said something that (unbeknownst to him of course) could betray her true identity.

However, so well trained as she was to keep her calm, Elswyth continued to flick through the book. She casually moved away from him with it, choosing to settle in the chair she had slept in the night before. Allowing the silence the grow, not wanting to answer too quick and allow that to feed his suspicions.

"The princess is still unmarried. She attends court. Her father requested I join her to keep her company and to ensure nothing...untoward happens." She answered simply, gaze drifting almost lazily over the words in the book, "My father and I could hardly deny him. He is the King, after all."

Elswyth hoped such an answer would satisfy him. She did often have one of her ladies with her at a time in court, rotating on a schedule for who would join her. She merely hoped he would be happy and forget any other questions.

Her eyes finally lifted to his and she leaned back in the chair, book lowering to her lap as she maintained eye contact. "Are you always so snide? Or is it just with noble women that you behave with such interrogation-like manners?" Her eyebrow raised with rhe challenge to her voice, head tilting ever so slightly.

ARTIST TAG
HAAKON FREDERIC NISSEN

The princess the mention of his childhood friend startled him more than Haakon liked to admit, his shoulders stiffening as his expression froze. Unmarried as well, and apparently active in court. Was she a friend? Haakon found it hard to reconcile the image. Not because he didn't believe she wasn't capable, but because it meant that time had moved on for her as well.

"I take it you two are friends?" He asked, his voice almost falling into a whisper as if afraid of the answer, but he composed himself quickly enough as he scraped his throat, "could have fooled me, I expect the court to tell you to keep quiet and not to make yourself heard amongst their old and wise minds," Haakon was quick to pick up the sardonic manner from earlier.

He left her challenge behind, knowing that there was no use in playing into his own emotions just because she could and knew how to push buttons. With a flick he snapped the book she was holding close, triumphantly lifting it up from her hands as he pushed it back with the rest of his volumes.

"Come, I shall show you a change of scenery instead," he told her, striding over to the door before he gave her a look thrown over his shoulder. "Unless you rather stay inside for another full day?"

Elswyth Mary D'Ambrisio

His reaction was unexpected, causing raised eyebrow to fall unto the frown that slowly settled on her expression. She couldn't begin to understand what the problem was with her having friends or, in this case, being friends with the princess.

"What is it? You think that all nobles are heartless, cold creatures incapable of forming any bonds beyond anything that allows mutual benefits?" She drawled, shaking off her confusion at his reaction and setting her shoulders back. "We nobles can also have friends. While it may be difficult and trying to figure out who is... truthful and honest, that companionship is still desired. Friendship is still needed. I think you would be surprised by how... lonely it can be."

Elly startled as the book was snatched from her hands, brow furrowing and then deepening as he offered to show her a change of scene. Her hands slowly settled into her lap as her expression relaxed, her hesitance betraying her uncertainty.

"I'm not sure if that is wise, Kun." She eventually murmured, gaze slipping past him to eye up the door as if it held something dangerous behind it, "I am not...familiar with ships and your crew..."

ARTIST TAG
HAAKON FREDERIC NISSEN

That knot in his stomach returned. That rising bile of hatred that constantly burned his throat the first days, months, years even after that he had been chased out of his castle, his kingdom. Years before he could reconcile with the fact that he couldn’t be with his parents for their last moments. The same feelings of hopelessness when he realised he had never and could never bury his parents with the dignity they deserved. They all returned, all at once when Elly spat her venom, as if knowing exactly who he was and how he had been hurt, as if he carried it all open for all to laugh and point at.

And then she turned it all around with the last remark. The loneliness. Icy blue eyes shot towards the noble lady, boring into her as he tried to discern whether this was a lie or a truth, as if he was trying to peel every layer off her, the layer of nobility and the layer of anger to see the human beneath it.

“You should meet the crew,” Haakon stiffly answered, his lips pulled into a taut line as he tried to conceal his own emotions, the trauma that was resurfacing by a single spiteful remark from her. “No better time than now to get to know them,” he continued before opening the door, a hand waving towards the exit.

“Besides, you wouldn’t want me to watch over you all the time,” he adds, a sardonic smile following as if that was anything to convince her with instead of the moments they had already spent together, tormenting one another.

Just beyond the door Artem stood, the old armoury master exchanged an anxious look between both Elswyth and Haakon, not really daring to say anything before Haakon let himself out of the room first, his eyes rolling as he did so.

“That is Artem, my right hand, if you want to nicer answers he is probably a better choice,” the male started to introduce unceremoniously, “if you like your legs, don’t run from him at least,” he added along as a warning before climbing the narrow stairs that would lead them right back up the deck, where the rest would be at this hour.

Elswyth Mary D'Ambrisio

There was something she was missing. The rigid body language, the thinly pressed lips, the stiffness to his words. They all betrayed... something. Yet his behaviour also pulled forth a memory that she had thought was long forgotten. Of the little boy she used to run through the Palace gardens with. The tightness of his voice and the way he pressed his lips together, much more adult than the little child who she remembered doing the same when he fell over and scraped his knee, but the familiar. In a ghostly sense.

His sardonic smile was missed by her as she struggled with trying to grab tightly onto the memory which kept slipping and darting away from her, not allowing her to get a full grasp and come completely to light. Perhaps, if it had, she would have suspected that it was too familiar to be coincidence.

But it wasn't to be, and she was disturbed by the creaking of the cabin door.

Immediately she was on her feet, stepping to the side and then slightly behind the chair as if he was about to release a dangerous and feral animal into the room. However, when no such creature pounced through, Elswyth hesitated and inched forward.

She didn't want to go out on deck and meet the crew. She didn't want to do as he commanded. She didn't want to have to go anywhere in such a low cut gown, either.

But whining wasn't an option. Because that was how it would be perceived. As whining.

Elswyth remained a good few meters away from the door as he introduced Artem, the young woman's gaze sliding over to the older armoury master and surveying him, scrutinising as if trying to figure out how big a threat he would become during her time on the ship... however long that would be.

"Run? And where would I run to? It's a ship." She muttered in retort, meaning for it to be under her breath but noting she had grumbled probably longer for both to hear. Her cheeks went slightly pink and she cleared her throat, eyes moving on to the steep and narrow ladders that would lead upwards. With Kun gone, her eyes darted back to Artem and, once again, Elswyth hesitated. Silence festered in the air, causing her to grow more and more on edge until she finally stepped forward again and held out a hand.

"I'm Elisa-- Elly. He told me I need to call myself Elly. Sorry. I'm Elly." She stumbled once again, only this time over her fake name and the one Kun had a stamped her with. It had been an effort to remember to call herself Elisabeth, so much so she had almost forgotten what Kun had told her.

Told her to do.

Damn it, she cursed internally, she was already doing as he demanded. But... perhaps that was for the best. It would surely make her life, whatever would come of it, easier.

Right?

ARTIST TAG
HAAKON FREDERIC NISSEN

The nickname sounded so clumsy coming from the noble, and almost Haakon regretted giving this beloved nickname away. It felt like giving away a secret, damaging something sacred.

“Elly,” Artem repeated after the noble, calm and warm as ever with an edge of tension laced through. Haakon knew that the old weaponmaster was anxious around all nobility, the chances of being recognised too great, or to recognise an old comrade vice versa. But the man hadn’t told him anything yet and Haakon liked to think that the prince that once was had died long ago, along with his parents. He, Haakon, was nothing like the boy.

“Nothing to be sorry about, lass,” Haakon heard Artem speak, his tone soothing in the same way that Haakon had known the man to be on the first night after the tragedy. A tone of warmth he never heard again, as Artem quickly slipped into a position and attitude of servitude.

“You will be if you don’t hurry,” the male interrupted, detesting the warmth and the comfort behind him as he could feel a look of sympathy and pity burn into the back of his shoulders, a cold glare sent over his shoulders meant for the weaponmaster, but hitting Elly instead.

Artem sighed at that, an arm swaying into the direction of the stairs onto which Haakon had climbed.

“He hasn’t slept, our captain, I promise the rest aren’t as bad tempered,” the male said in a whisper, not for Haakon to hear who glared into their direction once more before he waved over the crew with an arm.

Up on the deck life was already stirring, each with their own chores and tasks to complete and to keep the ship afloat. Somewhere Leah came leaping towards Haakon, worry cast in the lines of her face and in her eyes as she brought a warm plate of gruel before noticing their extra cargo.

“Gruel for two?” she questioned, not questioning when the newcomer had come. Never questioning any of the decisions made on the ship as long as it meant that Haakon was safe.

“Leah,” Haakon introduced her to Elly, gulping as he wondered how to continue. Maid was far from true, Leah had been like a mother, though distant, though always with her head bowed, she had made sure that Haakon was looked after, even if it was impossible to keep him from collecting scars.

“Elly,” he introduced the other, not bothering to fill in the rest of the silence, or whatever titles as Leah kept her eyes trained on the lady, her expression unreadable for a moment before hardening as she exchanged a look with Artem and glanced over at Haakon.

“Elly,” she finally repeated after, a pressed smile upon her lips and a look of conflict following, “that dress looks a bit small, doesn’t it?” she turns, quick to change her tone before Haakon could tell something was amiss.

“But first food, you both look awful.”

Whatever Leah thought, it wasn't expressed.

Elswyth Mary D'Ambrisio

Although she never expected to want to, Elswyth was eager to return to the cabin. She had never been overly fond of ships, not particularly liking the occasional spray of salt water that would make her skin feel grimy and her clothing and hair stiff. Or the burn of the sun, either directly or through the reflection from the water, on her fair, delicate skin. And it wasn't just the burn of the sun, but also the sweat that it caused.

She didn't enjoy the look from Leah, the woman unreadable in her expression as she surveyed Elswyth. She also didn't enjoy the hardened look that came over Leah's expression when she glanced to Artem, to Kun and then back to her again. It made her anxiety spike and her heart began to pound hard in her chest. As Leah's gaze lingered on her, Elswyth swallowed thickly but raised her chin, not to be perturbed by whatever was clearly going through the woman's mind in that moment.

However, it didn't stop the paranoia from feeding her worries or concerns: what if Leah had worked in the castle at one point? What if she recognised Elswyth for who she really was? Would Elswyth have even known that she did? She didn't recognise the woman, but then again, she hardly mingled with the maids or kitchen staff.

"It's the only one he had to offer me." Elswyth couldn't help but explain, hands clasping together. While she tried not to fidget, the princess was unable to help herself now she was seemingly surrounded with people that were protective and loyal of Kun. She had no friends here and it was hard to forget that. "The other was much smaller."

Looking down at herself, a warmth crept up the side of her neck as she reminded of the lowcut neckline and the waist that was a little tighter than she would have liked. Elswyth forced herself to look up, clearing her throat quietly. "...Thank you. I would appreciate some food."

Last edited:
ARTIST TAG
HAAKON FREDERIC NISSEN

A despondent sight escaped Leah at the explanation, an accusing look thrown into the direction of both Artem and Haakon before she walked over to the one named Elly, her expression softening at the discomfort of the lady.

“You poor thing. Those two would give you toddlers clothes if we had any thinking that they fit,” she spoke in half a jest, easing the tense mood as Haakon tried to come between, his throat grasping as he tried to interrupt, promptly ignored by Leah.

“And I bet that he thought yesterday’s dinner was good enough for breakfast, only to find the bread stale, not?” Leah continued smoothly, earning a frown from Haakon who wondered how the woman had managed to guess that. He didn’t skip his meals that often, he believed and neither was he in the habit of eating old food. Not that he could recall.

Pulling the scarf off herself she covered Elly with it before warmly throwing an arm around the lady. “We live on a ship, but we are still civilised. Men tend to forget that without a mother to scold them,” she spoke, leading Elly over to yet another group of the crew, sitting together with their own breakfast. A simple porridge with some bread, warm and lightly toasted. As if on instinct they scooted out of Leah’s way, making room for the arriving quartet while never ceasing their conversation, not until Haakon stepped into the middle of it all.

“Elly, cabin boy– girl, whatever,” came the brief explanation before he turned to pick up some bread for himself.

My assistant,” Leah was quicker to interject before anyone else could comment on it or make claims. A claim that wasn’t contested by Haakon, and wouldn’t be argued by the rest of the men, with Leah being the only woman on the ship.

“Just don’t lose her,” was all Haakon had to say before being handed a bowl of porridge, his face set into an awful frown before he begrudgingly settled himself.

Elswyth Mary D'Ambrisio

The sudden kindness shown to her by Leah after having been certain that the woman felt a similar disgust towards her that Kun clearly did, Elswyth was baffled by the teasing and light tone that came from the other woman. Elly was momentarily distracted by the pokes Leah was making towards the two men to a point where she was just straight staring. Clearly the relationship between the three that were with her was a good one. Steady and strong and comfortable. Otherwise where else would she have gotten the nerve to make a jest at the expense of a person who, Elswyth assumed, was the captain.

She took the scarf gladly, offering a silent smile in thanks as she ensured the new accessory covered what showed of her bosom. However, she felt stiff under Leah's arm, uncertain and unaccustomed. Not just because it was Leah and an unusual situation that she wasn't in control of. But because no one touched her at court. She was not used to such casual contact. Her maids only touched her to help her dress or do her hair. Her mother and father hugged her on occasion. She definitely didn't have any casual or emotional contact with her brother.

It was all... strange.

Even more strange then was when Leah claimed her to be her assistant. Elswyth looked up with a confused frown, wondering just what Leah did on the ship that required an assistant. Or perhaps it was just the desire to have a female companion, since so far, Elly had yet to see another woman aboard the vessel.

She briefly glanced to Kun to see what his reaction would be, holding her tongue as the sarcastic question of where she would go missing on a ship and how hard would it be to get lost festered inside her. However, his expression caught her by surprise. That surly look, almost as if he was sulking, reminded her of the little boy she once knew when she was much younger. How he would brood and pout when something didn't go his way or something was taken off him.

Quickly, Elly looked back to Leah, not yet going for her own bowl of porridge in an attempt to not be rude after the other woman's kindness. "...What would I be assisting you with?" She questioned, placing her entwined hands in her lap in her latest attempt to keep them from fidgeting. She wanted to warn the woman she didn't have much experience, but she kept her mouth shut. "I'm good at needlework or writing. Numbers, perhaps? Or, ah..." She trailed off, struggling to think of skills that wouldn't cause suspicion amongst the others that were sat near them or would make her seem higher than the station she had given herself.

ARTIST TAG
HAAKON FREDERIC NISSEN

The question, though unsurprising, was met with silence first, that old cold glare in Leah’s eyes momentarily returning before it was pushed away and Leah smiled that warm smile of hers once more with an answer;

“Cooking the meals, mostly, however hemming some clothes isn’t a bad idea. The captain has lost an awful bit of weight and his pants aren’t holding up anymore,” the sum of tasks came in a flurry, a groan coming from Haakon’s direction who didn’t want the information to be shared in public before Leah leaned in towards Elly as if to whisper her a secret.

“And keep you out of his sight, mostly, highness,” she had followed, the sudden chill of her earlier demeanour explained before a hand grabbed hold of Elly’s arm, firmly but not ungently, as if urging the other to stay in place.

“None have realised it yet, but I do. Right age, same nose, same eyes. Not a change,” Leah continued with a hush, another hand landing on the knee of Elly, as if to comfort her while she lightly swayed her leg.

“That’s all, think you can handle it, dear?” Leah postered, the warmth in her character returning and her smile wide and motherly as ever.

“Don’t teach her dirty words, Leah,” Haakon called out, confusion in his eyes as he watched the exchange, his frown deepening as he carefully roamed Elly’s expression, wondering if something was brewing without his knowledge, “have her change her clothes already, get her ready for work. Tonight we feast,” was his last announcement before gulping down the last of the porridge given with a look of disgust on his face.

“Porridge lunch and dinner! I will add a sprinkle of cinnamon for you!” Leah called after him in jest, finally releasing Elly from her hold before finishing up her own breakfast.

“Ready?” she would ask the noble not long after, clear as day, acting as if nothing was wrong.

Elswyth Mary D'Ambrisio

The porridge immediately became claggy and thick in her mouth as Leah whispered the words Elswyth had been fearing she would hear.

Highness.

Whispered with a coldness that explained the other woman's earlier reaction to when she first appeared.

Elswyth choked briefly on her mouthful, lowering the bowl and spoon and raising another hand to cover her nose and mouth. However she froze when Leah's hand gripped her forearm, not allowing the bowl and spoon to carry on with their journey to the ledge where the princess was going to put them. She swallowed thickly, keeping her eyes lowered as Leah continued to whisper to her. Elswyth didn't dare look up at anyone, fearing that if she did, they too would piece it all together.

There was the slightest of flinches as Leah's other hand came down on her knee and she was quick to nod to the question posed to her. She could feel Kun's eyes on her afterwards, but she kept her eyes away, head slightly bowed over the bowl of porridge as if was the most interesting thing in the world to her.

How did this woman know who she was? Not a change. So clearly Leah had seen her in her younger days. Had she been one of the former castle staff who had fled during the battle? Had she worked there during a time that she would have been running amok in the gardens with the young prince? Perhaps she had been said prince's nanny-- but she didn't look that old. She was still motherly as opposed to grandmotherly.

The hidden royal barely spoke another word while they were within earshot and view of the other men on the ship, waiting until they were alone. Which they eventually were, Elswyth following the woman to the duties she would now be set. A anxious look over her shoulder provided her with the confidence that it was just the two of them and Elswyth glanced back to Leah.

"...Why haven't you told him?" She asked, voice firm in her desire to meet the problem head on, but a slight waver betraying her nervousness (one didn't want to die, after all, and she had a feeling there was no love loss between those on the ship and her family, for whatever reason). "You know my secret. You're loyal to him. Yet you stay silent on the matter. Why? What is it that you want? I... I have nothing to give you."

Her hands were clasped together in front of her, fingers interlocked and the nail of her one thumb pressing into the webbed skin between index finger and opposite thumb as she suppressed the true extent of her paranoia and uncertainty.

ARTIST TAG
HAAKON FREDERIC NISSEN

The privacy of their own cabin, to which Leah had led the princess, brought the necessary space needed to speak, and to redress. Rummaging through her own clothes Leah eventually managed to get a better dress out, tossing it over to the princess with a scornful look.

“And achieve what? The sin lies with your parents, not with you,” Leah had responded, a deep sigh escaping her before stepping towards the lady, nimble fingers already going through the corset and the clumsily done laces of a noblewoman who wasn’t used to dressing herself.

“King Nissen may have grown senile in age, but all on this ship have lost much when your father decided to usurp the throne,” Leah continued to explain, her voice a low murmur as she kept close to Elly, as if afraid to be overheard by anyone even within her own room. “You will not find much love here for your parentage, or inspire loyalty; only hurt and bitterness,” the maid continued, her face weary before rough hands clasped themselves around the face of the princess, a stern look exchanged.

“What we– I lost to your father isn’t your fault, but to see you hurts me all the same,” Leah whispered, finally admitting to the grief that lingered within her rather than the anger she had expressed so far.

“Don’t let the rest find out, least of all the captain. There is no predicting what they will do,” was the resigned explanation and to this Leah helped Elswyth finish up, quick to help her with her hair as well into a practical bun before stepping out of the room once more.

“We will start with mending the clothes. You said you can do that, right?” Leah returned to normal as soon as she stepped out into the open air once more. Somewhere above, near the wheel, piercing blue eyes were watching the two ladies on the ship, to which Leah waved amicably towards Haakon.

“Forgive the captain, it has been a while since he saw a lady his age, least of all a pretty one,” Leah jested loudly, winking into Haakon’s direction who was quick to scoff and turn back around, facing Artem.

“How soon?” he asked, and the older man frowned, head lowering as he leaned in.

“If I depart now I will bring word at our first stop,” the man promised, though there was discomfort in Haakon’s eyes as he wondered if it was wise to move out his own men so soon after a raid, “I will be careful,” Artem promises him, at once easing Haakon’s own feelings, or trying to as Haakon once more glanced into the direction of their strange, but precious cargo, and Leah.

“If my suspicions are right I will send word immediately,” his right hand concluded, meeting the cold glint that Haakon’s expression had taken on.

“If your suspicions are right,” Haakon spoke slowly, his tone icy, “I will feed her to the sharks,” he promised.

• Spicy
Reactions: Viverescribere

Elswyth Mary D'Ambrisio

The dress was better. Much better. It fitted her almost perfectly. However, that didn't detract from what she now knew about Leah.

Anyone knowing her true identity on the ship was enough to make her feel sick and Elswyth had to concentrate on keeping her breakfast down. Leah may not hold any grudges against her personally, even if she did say it was hard to look at her, but who was to say that maybe one day the woman wouldn't get fed up of her. Perhaps even annoyed at her to a point where she decided that keeping her secret wasn't worth it? Of course, there was then the risk of angering those on the ship because the secret had been kept for so long. But if Leah decided to twist the truth, say she only found out now... who would go against her and think she was lying?

Elswyth knew then that she would need to run. She couldn't risk staying on the ship a moment longer than necessary. If what Leah said was true, the unpredictable nature of those on board the vessel was not something she could gamble with. While she knew Kun was right about her being alone on whatever land they took her to... surely it had to be better than the hidden threaten that lingered, undisturbed so far, beneath the cloaked truth.

She remained silent at Leah's jesting, barely reacting to the compliment provided about her being pretty (although she had to now wonder if anything the woman said to her was in earnest, considering the role she was now playing in pretending to not to know who she really was). She simply followed where she was led, only briefly glancing over her shoulder to find Kun looking back at her. She knew to look away quickly now would be suspicious, so attempted a nervous smile instead. Only when he looked away did she too look back, a tense sigh escaping her lips.

"Will they kill me?" Elswyth breathed the question to the woman eventually once she thought it was safe to do so. Her hand, in her desperation to get the truth, had reached out to gently clasp Leah's wrist. The princess' gaze searched Leah's expression, eyebrows knitting together, "Please, I need to know. I cannot--" She took a deep breath to compose herself again, swallowing back the threatening wave of panic and fear, "We both know I cannot run the risk of them finding out. If there's that possibility, I would rather take my chances off this ship alone rather than sit here waiting for someone else to piece it together."

Shaking her head, she released Leah's wrist, "Or waiting for news to reach wherever you are going next. A missing princess. A missing betrothed princess. That news, and undoubtedly a reward, will reach every isle off the mainland. He would be a fool to not put my appearance and the disappearance of the princess together." A lump formed in her throat at the fear of dying, of not seeing her loved ones again, "Please Leah. I-- I'm begging you."

ARTIST TAG
HAAKON FREDERIC NISSEN

“Keep on talking and they will” Leah hissed at the princess, losing her patience with the female ever so slightly before she sharply turned, tugging at a bucket attached to a rope harshly before throwing it overboard, drawing up water from the sea before making her way over to another tub.

“It will be that mouth of yours that gives you away first before anything,” Leah spoke after that she dumped the first load of the bucket down the tub, a little out of breath from doing it so quickly as she eyed to the side, making sure none was listening in on the conversation.

“Make yourself useful already, lass!”

The order rang loudly, distracting all from the strange scene before Leah pushed the bucket roughly into Elly’s arms, closely walking next to the lady for the next draw of water.

“Speak less, your governess should have taught you that,” the whispered warning came, “Haakon is of suspicious nature, but not entirely heartless. Maybe befriend him again or something,” the hurried plan came, the name of the captain accidentally slipping pass just like his hidden past before Leah threw her bucket overboard again, drawing up water once more and signalling for Elly to do the same.

“Get on with it, will you?” the bossy tone returned, her eyes fixated on the smaller sails of a boat departing, a cloaked figure sitting within that was surely to be Artem’s. “Keep out of his eyes,” Leah repeated her first warning once more, forgetting the halfhasted plan she had whispered to contradict entirely. “We will think of something.” Those were the only soothing words Leah could provide, not sure how she was going to try to appease Haakon’s temper if Artem returned with bad tidings.

But the waves weren’t peaceful as Haakon approached the pair, his chin held up high as he eyed the new recruit, his eyes cold. “Think of what?” his question rang, startling Leah before he impishly smiled back, “how is your back?” he asked her, taking the bucket out of Leah’s hand.

“I’ve support now,” Leah’s response comes amicably, a smile thrown into Elly’s direction before Haakon gives her an unreadable look, a curt nod from his side a sign of understanding, but not of acceptance just yet before he pours out the bucket in the tub.

“She isn’t made for heavy labour, don’t hesitate to ask for help,” the male responds, genuine concern laced through with distrust and layered with a certainty that the noble lady had never worked a day in her life before. He hadn’t either when young, he had learnt and so would she.

Elswyth Mary D'Ambrisio

Elswyth was only partially used to being spoken to in such a manner. Leah's sharp tones and abrupt manner, suggesting a lack of patience (or at least that hers was wearing out), were not behaviours she was unaccustomed with. Her brother would often become short with her and of course so would her mother and father at times. There would be hints of it at court, when people weren't getting what they wanted from her. However, it never extended to the obvious nature in which Leah acted.

However, that was all forgotten as the name Haakon was mentioned. It forced her to paused, bucket halfway lowered to the sea water below. It reminded her of a time in the past, audible memories coming forward as she shouted that name as a young child or listened to it being called by an adult that was less than impressed with their childish behaviour.

Befriend him again.

Leah's clear understanding of who she was, her loyalty to Haakon, the name of the captain and the mention of trying to become his friend again allowed Elswyth to come to the clear understanding of the predicament she was in. The rope in her hand slackened slightly as the world seemed to fade away, the edges of her vision going dark. Until his voice cut through the void that was threatening to swallow her whole.

However, his interruption of her revelation didn't leave her feeling any better. Instead, causing such a fear to spike anew through her veins that Elswyth was forced to lean over the edge and lose her breakfast. Her one hand kept the rope with the bucket tightly pressed against the edge, not daring to lose it and give them more of a reason to detest her. The other simply gripped the edge tightly, knuckles showing white as she gagged and gasped for breath, spitting out the last of what her stomach had to empty out.

She stayed there for a breath or two, not daring to show her face for a moment until she was relatively certain that the sickness had passed. Not only that, but Elswyth wasn't entirely certain if she could face looking at Haakon. Not when he was supposed to be dead.

ARTIST TAG
HAAKON FREDERIC NISSEN

Had he expected Elly to try and cook something up with Leah? Certainly, women for each other, and all and Leah might have indulged her with smart quips and jeers. Haakon was aware of Leah’s opinion on nobility. It had taken ages before she would treat Artem with any sort of courtesy. It was the only reason why Haakon felt no guilt in asking what plans Leah was cooking up with Elly, because he knew at least that whatever plans there were none were meant to betray him.

What he didn’t expect was for Elly to pour out the content of her stomach to the sea, the bucket nearly falling with.

“You alright lass?” Leah was quicker to respond than Haakon was, being closer to the female as well when she grabbed hold of the rope remaining and poured out the content of the bucket before swishing it in water again just to make sure it was clean before pulling it back on board. It couldn’t be fatigue, Haakon had never heard of anyone overexerting themselves with just the pull of a few buckets. But the waters weren’t wild and the wind was steady. It hardly could be that Elly was seasick if she had been fine for so long.

“Sit her down,” he commanded, helping Leah in the support of Elly, his eyes sharply fixed on her features as he reached a hand out towards her cheek, feeling it with the end of his fingers to check for any heat.

Fair features of a noble lady, as expected. Haakon noted to himself how he had never before really taken note of Elly’s eye colour before, finding them oddly similar to that of a certain childhood friend he had once upon a time, a memory triggering.

“Sit still,” child-him exclaimed trying to wrestle Elly into position, “I just need to check your eye colour for the painting,” Haakon exclaimed, tiptoeing and tugging at his companion who was, much to his annoyance, taller than he was. Common, his nanny had explained before exclaiming that he would surpass her quickly enough in a few years.

“Green and brown, that’s it!” he announced not much later, before frowning as he peered closer into the face of the girl, “that’s difficult, why not just one colour?” his disappointment sounded at the thought of having to mix paint.

Haakon never got to confirm whether he grew taller than his Elly, only that he did indeed grow tall and fast within the next few years after the fall of the kingdom. Upsettingly so, for everything was changing in his world, and it wasn’t only the perception of.

“Have some,” he tells the noble lady as he is handed a bowl of fresh water, “look for some ginger, any will do,” the instruction follows as Leah runs off to the storage, in search of his request before Haakon turns back to his hostage, his finger going to her eyes as he slightly pulls it open wider for him to examine.

“Warn me if you are going to hurl again,” he tells her flatly, his voice a murmur while he continues to peer into the oddly familiarly coloured eyes of green and brown.

• Love
Reactions: Viverescribere

Elswyth Mary D'Ambrisio

"Please-- please. Don't... don't do that."
Elswyth requested as she leaned back away from his hand, her own raising to push his gently aside before it continued on to rub at the eye that he had held open. Any time he spent extra time peering at her features now filled her with an anxiety she had never experienced before.

The prolonged peering, the scrutinising stares or the critical glances would all add up eventually. She could remember Haakon being a curious child, smart and tenacious. Surely it wouldn't take him long if he kept looking at her the way he did. And Elswyth was certain that the result would not end with a reunion full of hugs and tearful joy. Her family had killed his. Her family had taken away all that belonged to him. While she hadn't personally been involved, since she had been far too young to even understand what was going on, blood was still blood. She had no doubt in her mind that she would still be killed for having D'Ambrisio blood.

Hell, even she wasn't certain how she felt about her revelation. That was Haakon. The young child that she played with in the castle gardens. The boy she would practice playing the piano in front of because she was nervous about performing in front of people. Her little princeling friend who would paint her.

And his family had been useless and greedy. Or at least, that was what she had been told.

After realising she had now been staring up at him for too long, Elswyth sharply averted her gaze down to her hands and bowed her head slightly for extra measure. "I can only apologise. I don't know what came over me. I'm fine, honestly. There's no need to fret about me or get me anything." She cleared her throat, brushing her palms over the skirt of her dress, eyes focused on her knees, "Truly. I think it's the amount of sea air... I've not been exposed to it for this long before. I have been fortunate enough to avoid many a sea journey before. I'm just not... accustomed to it."

Pathetic excuses really, weak and unstable in providing a reason for her sudden illness. However, she had to say something. Yet, as she reluctantly glanced up at him, her own memory was triggered.

"H-Holden Katz c-called me a-a-a," a younger of herself hiccupped on the 'a' as she relayed the story to a child-Haakon, "He called me a chowder-headed, lily-livered coward." She finally uttered, lower lip wobbling and eyes already red and puffy, spilling over with tears that tracked down her cheeks. "It's-it's not fair. He knows I'm not good on water and he knew you weren't there to make him stop."

She sniffled, wiping her nose on the sleeve of her dress - something she knew she would be scolded for later by her governess. The ship-related insults thrown at her by the son of some lowly Lord shouldn't have hurt, but Elswyth had always found it tough to control her emotions when feeling tired or ill. When it was a mixture of both, which it was after returning from a trip overseas, she could be even worse.

"He's a horrible, horrible little boy." She mumbled, sniffing again as she quietly leaned forward to rest her head on Haakon's shoulder, "I hope to never see him ever again."

Elswyth blinked back into focus, the memory fading to the back of her mind once more. She reached a hand up again to rub her other eye with the heel of her palm, exhaling heavily as she composed herself. Not wanting to make more of a drama out of things, or keep the attention on her for too much longer, she forced herself to her feet and reached out for the bucket again.

"I'm not going to hurl again. It was just a momentary lapse. You needn't worry." She added firmly, continuing to keep her eyes averted as they moved across the deck in the hopes Leah would be returning soon to distract him.