Path of the Taelesol OOC and Characters

Update: Rules/Combat rules/Posting expectations added to the first post.

@Vio just keep it reasonable and not too dark please :)

As for Ice vs Shadow... How would you see shadow working? I'm slightly unsure if Shadow is wanted, but like how would it be utilized?

Well I would see Shadow being mostly used for rogue like attacks. Using natural shadows around to hide, and then lunging out. The same could be said for light, only light would be more versatile (in the sense that one could reflect all visible light off them and become completely invisible). I was mostly thinking about how the element would be used for my Aer who isn't necessarily a good person. I was going to use some inspiration from the game Thief in making his character. In the game the main character uses shadows to traverse through the map naturally (he can't like teleport through shadows) to remain unseen so he can pickpocket and steal. So my Aer was a thief before he met his Pandrylyr, and how they met is actually pretty funny. The Pandrylyr didn't like her Aer being a high profile thief so she purposely knocked him off a ledge in front of some guards and now he has to work off his sentence in training and community service but he's always sneaking out and being a pain in the ass for just everyone. xD

Though I suppose I can do that for any elemental rather than shadow, Ice would be fun. ( I am so indecisive lol)

As for shadow it would be utilized better for things like recon or for scouting than it is for actual fighting, but I don't think it would be impossible to use in a fight. He would have to get more creative with his attacks, and would have to naturally be more precise as an archer. As for stats I am not sure which it would affect? I would assume that would depend on the time of day, like for example someone who has a shadow element would be faster at night by using the natural darkness around them to propel them forward.

I am going to go for ice, because I feel like that would be a better dynamic and would force my character out of their comfort zone. xD

I don't know if I want teleportation through shadow, nor total invisibility from light. We need to keep things reasonable from a power perspective. Probably ice would be easier to figure out how to manipulate, but shadow can work. Possibly make shadows solid into spears and such. As for stats, it should probably stay constant.

As for the whole thieving background... Perhaps I'm being a touch uptight. Just Taelesol are pretty much the highest of heroes in Aer society. I'm probably being too uptight.

I don't know if I want teleportation through shadow, nor total invisibility from light. We need to keep things reasonable from a power perspective. Probably ice would be easier to figure out how to manipulate, but shadow can work. Possibly make shadows solid into spears and such. As for stats, it should probably stay constant.

As for the whole thieving background... Perhaps I'm being a touch uptight. Just Taelesol are pretty much the highest of heroes in Aer society. I'm probably being too uptight.

I figured as much! That's why I said that he wouldn't have those if he was a shadow elemental. I wasn't sure if you'd like him being able to make shadow constructs or not hence why I left it out. Shadow is usually my go to over ice, so I'm going to go for ice instead.

I thought they only become Taelsol after they've completed their training (I probably misunderstood?). I don't think its realistic for every single character to come from a good background. I'm thinking about character growth, and giving my character depth through out the rp. Like, over time he learns how he can utilize being a Taelsol to help those who are less fortunate, like he was, and prevent children from making the same mistakes he did. Just really wholesome stuff.

I mean, technically you're probably right in that they aren't full Taelesol until they're done with training. And you are right that there should be different backgrounds. I just sometimes latch onto a certain vision too hard and get uptight, is how I would describe that. Sorry about that, there's really no issue.

Talking about character growth, Kalorn is probably still going to get into some scraps with bullies who don't back down. So there's some growth for him. I think. Needs to learn balance?

Also, don't know why I'm thinking of this now, but the PCs will be a team through training and after training. So they'll go out on missions and patrol together, hang out together a lot of the time, etc.

Reactions: Esmeray
I mean, technically you're probably right in that they aren't full Taelesol until they're done with training. And you are right that there should be different backgrounds. I just sometimes latch onto a certain vision too hard and get uptight, is how I would describe that. Sorry about that, there's really no issue.

Talking about character growth, Kalorn is probably still going to get into some scraps with bullies who don't back down. So there's some growth for him. I think. Needs to learn balance?

Also, don't know why I'm thinking of this now, but the PCs will be a team through training and after training. So they'll go out on missions and patrol together, hang out together a lot of the time, etc.

I totally understand what you mean. I get like that sometimes too. I think a good way to think about it is that, at some point the characters will reach that vision. If it helps his Pandrylyr will definitely be keeping him in line. He could also already be in a state of mind where he is questioning his life choices and actively seeking to better himself as a person if that would make you more comfortable? lol

Kalorn is adorable, and I love him. I feel like Ruven would grow to admire him quite a bit.

I love the idea of the group spending time together! Ruven being forced to spend time with others (most likely by his Pandrylyr) will also help him grow as a person. He'll grow attached to these people, and will start wanting to please them. As a result their ideals will start to rub off on him, and he'll become more agreeable. Honestly I think it would be really cute when the others start pointing out how much he's changed and he gets stupidly flustered over the whole thing.

I just want that wholesome content.

I'm gonna say if he was my character I would have him thinking about his life choices perhaps, but at the same time it's a habit so he kinda just tries without thinking sometimes. But I'm also gonna say you do you. Having heard you want that wholesome content and not just angst makes me feel better xD

I mean like yeah there'll be drama and wounds in battle, but I usually don't like to go too dark, and this universe especially I want to be fun and heroic and kinda like an anime in the way of friendship and teamwork.

Random scene idea: Some other Aer (kids? Teens? Depends) start taunting your guy about being soft now. Kalorn launches into them to scrap and defend his teammate. Curious what you think about that and what you think would happen

I'm gonna say if he was my character I would have him thinking about his life choices perhaps, but at the same time it's a habit so he kinda just tries without thinking sometimes. But I'm also gonna say you do you. Having heard you want that wholesome content and not just angst makes me feel better xD

I mean like yeah there'll be drama and wounds in battle, but I usually don't like to go too dark, and this universe especially I want to be fun and heroic and kinda like an anime in the way of friendship and teamwork.

Random scene idea: Some other Aer (kids? Teens? Depends) start taunting your guy about being soft now. Kalorn launches into them to scrap and defend his teammate. Curious what you think about that and what you think would happen

Yeah like he is thinking about things, and obviously doesn't actively go thieving anymore, but does certain things out of habit like lying, cheating, or like he steals an apple to feed a kid. Maybe one of the other's see something they really want in a window display, and later that night he steals it for them. Then they're like... "NO RUVEN GO PUT IT BACK" so he is all grumbly about it but does what he is told. The funny thing is that he has the money to pay for it, but forgets he even has money now until someone reminds him. Then he's all embarrassed because he actually forgot he has money now, and thinks he must look silly to the others for having forgotten. While as before he did it for more selfish reasons and wouldn't even think about returning something he stole.

Oh yeah Ruven would definitely get a lot of shit from other thieves or maybe other kids he used to know. Ruven would of course stop Kalorn from doing that though because they're just dumb kids. Then go "Soft? Guys I'm a total bad ass. One time I got impaled with a spear and just pulled that shit right out and seared the wound closed. You guys wish you were as cool as me." And obviously he is totally lying through his teeth about being impaled, but Kalorn realizes what he is doing and confirms it to be true. Then Kalorn and Ruven start talking each other up like they're each others wingmen, talking about all these bad ass things they've done as Taelsol. By the time they're done the kids are totally enamored and think Taelsol are super cool. Him and Kalorn high five each other having successful inspired young Aer youths. xD

WHOLESOME. CONTENT.

Heheh. Oh! I just remembered something rather important. At the start of the RP, the characters have no idea how to utilize their magic. The only hint they or their instructor will have is the powers of the Dragonwolves (who utilize their own powers usually by barking)

Also, Pandrylyr have their own language that they use. It's not going to really be translated, but in-universe the Dragonwolves talk with one another by chirps, yips, trills, etc.

Yes, pandrylyr-talk is super cute and a definite language for them. While I was gone I couldn't point this out, but glad you went with a different option @Vio. I've told Mythy I don't think shadow should be a taelesol power. Rather, it's a weapon some pasandrylyrs use against the light power as a natural opposite.

Also, Mythy and I have done these dragonwolves in a more relaxed setting where they partially play matchmakers for their Aer. Would any of you be interested in that, or would you rather keep things to the group dynamic?

@Quiet One like matchmaking the characters with NPCs? Or with one another? I wouldn't mind playing those NPCs (not that I'm not playing NPCs anyway) if people want to find love interests

I think the Pandrylyr's acting as matchmakers would lead to a ton of hilarious situations. Uldrana (Ruven's Pandrylyr) is definitely a mom figure, and I can see her getting carried away in her matchmaking schemes, whether it be with PCs or NPCs. She will definitely embarrass Ruven A LOT.

Do Pandrylyr's have a psychic link with their Aer and can communicate with them too?

I imagine this cute scene of a Pandrylyr unsuspiciously snout-nudging their Aer.

I'm usually one for platonic things and enjoy group dynamic, but I'm also sure I shouldn't always stick to my comfort zone. I'm not sure, honestly!

@Vio that is a good question. The way me and Quiet have done it before, there isn't. They just somehow understand one another.

@Kal I would personally think a good compromise would be that we get paired with NPCs. Don't make it awkward between players unless they want to be paired. But maybe that's just me.

I think it will be fine either way, but I really enjoy fleshed out romances. I feel like it is natural for people that are in a group setting to eventually develop crushes and then later romances. It would be interesting to explore other kinds of relationships as well. For example, a relationship that is purely romantic and nothing more, or a sibling like bond developing, a mentor x student relationship that is kind of like a parent with their child (for example in Brooklyn Nine Nine Jake and Amy legit call their precinct captain Dad and it is super wholesome). It would be interesting to explore less wholesome relationships too, like toxic friendships. There's just a lot that can be done. lol

I personally wouldn't enjoy Ruven being paired with an NPC. I like to be more engaging with the fellow players and focus on relationships between PCs more than NPCs.

@Vio that is also a good point. We don't need to force romances, we can let everything or most everything stay in the group and see what happens. Probably still will have named city NPCs, like at their favorite restaurant. It all depends how people feel.

Basically, we can cover any NPCs if you don't find pairings among your team, but we ABSOLUTELY encourage shipping fodder.

Note: You don't HAVE to seek romance if you don't want to.

Last edited:
@Vio

How're you doing with the sheet for me to look over? :)