Path of a Gym Leader OOC

Either or is fine. I'm sure most of us are willing to compromise, if not then I'm sure we all can find another Pokemon we like to substitute for what we were interested in. @Hecatty

Reactions: Hecatty
@Shiki In an earlier post in the thread the gathering of trees on the center 'island' was considered a forest. Now, a forest must by definition cover at least 1.24 acres of land. Based on this you might be able to get a better idea of the scale? (Though I do not know if that scale would translate well across the rest of the image.)
Math time!

Assuming that the island is approximately a circle - which seems a fair guess - it has a radius of 117 ft, or a diameter of about 234 ft (about 71 meters). Based on some eyeballing, the radius of the island is about 15% that of the total region's, and the outer land is about 10% of the radius in thickness. Therefore, the island is probably about 473 meters across - a bit over five football fields. It would have a total area of about 702500 square meters. For comparison, that's about 1/84th the size of Manhattan. That's...pretty small. In terms of land area, it would be about 175000 square meters. Of course, that's the absolute minimum, using that 1.24 acre measure.

Ohhh it's a lot bigger up close, like the distances between things. Yes, I would say it's a third of the size of a canon region. If we add places to the mainland (especially the area cut out of the picture), then it could increase the of scale of the region. @Shiki

I can help with ideas about where to find the different types with all the water going on. @Cresion Breezes As far as Dhelmise, I think it's fine for the characters to catch other types but I'm not sure it would make the most sense to use them on their gym team. However, I'm not totally against considering the idea.

The thing is though, whoever chose a certain type might want to secure a Pokemon of that type since the ones they like of that type they reserved may be limited. If the person who chose ghost is ok with it, then I say go for it.

Taking Kanto as an "average" sized region, mostly because I can compare it to irl Kanto Prefecture, we have a size for the region at 42.5 thousand km^2 / 3 or about 14 thousand square kilometers. Assuming my 15% and 10% estimates from before are correct, that means that the region has a total land area of about 3500 km^2, which is a lot bigger - about an eighth the size of Vermont. The central isle would be about 2100 km^2, and the outer ring about 1400 km^2. The region would be about 66 kilometers in total radius - about 120 kilometers across. That's a lot of space.

...and a lot of math...

Well, I mean, I don't think basing regions off of their irl counterparts is exactly accurate since it can be big as France (Kalos) or small as Manhatten (Unova). That is a pretty large size difference even though they're probably supposed to be around the same.

Like, it could be big as Manhatten but is that big enough?

Reactions: Hecatty
Well, I mean, I don't think basing regions off of their irl counterparts is exactly accurate since it can be big as France (Kalos) or small as Manhatten (Unova). That is a pretty large size difference even though they're probably supposed to be around the same.

Like, it could be big as Manhatten but is that big enough?
That's why I chose Kanto. Game Freak and Nintendo know it well - being Japanese - so we can assume it's far more faithful an approximation than Unova, Kalos, and Galar. Additionally, Kanto is very explicitly based off of Kanto Prefecture, as compared to those regions, which are closer to references (I mean, Unova isn't even really shaped all that much like New York, and you can find images of NYC aplenty on Google).

I'll leave the math to you guys 😅

Alrighty, so we patiently await one other to get in their sheet. Please try and get it in by tonight (: @Justsomeguy

@Jessica Stansell Were you still planning to join us as well? :) If so, I can give you guys a little more time.

Goodmorning, guys & gals! ^^

• Thank You
Reactions: True North
Super excited to get started with this! Would u guys be interested in starting a discord server in order to keep communications simple?

I'm all for a discord server! We could make a few channels for the character sheets, etc. Keep everything organized and easily accessible.

The IC :D I was too excited to start! <3

• Bucket of Rainbows
  • Love
Reactions: Nim and Hecatty

be572d881e3602458a15c8d36e3b9269.jpg
Name
Alder Oran

Hometown
A small town on the mainland of the Leoluna Region

Personality
Alder is a somewhat scatterbrained individual, never being able to maintain very much organization in his daily life. A generally kind and helpful boy, he also has a hard time keeping himself focused and tends to be forgetful.

Bio
As a boy Alder could almost always be found either outside exploring or helping out around his family's oran berry farm, which he's been told that his parents started so that they could take advantage of their name's irony. Regardless, it was good work for a kid and the town always appreciated the crop, and so did Alder. He always snuck a few berries for himself to snack on during the day.

For Alder's eleventh birthday the owner of a local Pokemon daycare gifted him a Pokemon egg, which she said had been left there by a trainer who's Pokemon she had taken care of since they hadn't wanted the egg. Alder was overjoyed and would hardly let it out of his sight until it finally hatched into a Larvesta. The two have of course been close ever since, and Alder made a habit out of battling every local kid who had a Pokemon. Eventually word reached his small town about some kind of competition program to become a gym leader, and Alder set off almost immediately with well wishes from his parents and a bag full of oran berries.

Typing Specialty
Bug

Starter Pokemon
His Larvesta "Mothra", the name inspired by a movie Alder had seen once about a giant Tyranitar...or something. Mothra is generally a pretty tough little guy, spewing flame from his crown of red horns when threatened and often using String Shot just to mildly inconvenience his trainer. Even with his sometimes annoying ability Flame Body, there's no place Mothra likes better than bedded down in something flammable.
DyLH4JQVsAA5h-3.jpg

Alder enjoys stuffing leaves, twigs, and the like inside his satchel in order to make a comfy nest for his Pokemon, even when it could be used for more useful things..like carrying stuff, which it's designed to do in the first place.
And with that, I'm off to bed. Sorry it took a minute! (Looks like it's morning for some of you?)

@Shiki Can I just say that entering a conversation with a cartwheel is such a power move xD

Ayyy got my post up.

@Shiki Can I just say that entering a conversation with a cartwheel is such a power move xD
Hehe. Thankfully, she completely ruined it with her total embarrassment. (She's a ton of fun to write!)

• Haha
Oh man, oh man, this is kicking off with some fun characters! Loving the creativity! ^^

I just now realized that I forgot to lunk the pic that I wanted to use for Neri. So for everyone, here's that link.
Neri!

And if it will be alright, I'll also link Neri's pic in Tori's CS so it will just be there :P But gonna wait for @Luelle To say its alright first.

Ohmygoodnessss I wake up to a bucket full of delicious posts 🤩

The adorable Alder is accepted ;D @Justsomeguy

Um please do Neri's so cute 😊 @Nim

Edited to include Neri's age and appearance! :D