Password Protected

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno if I'm using any safe password precautions. I mean, mine is just a really random combination of letters and numbers. I can memorize random letters and numbers easily and with enough use it's second-nature. Just like memorizing math equations or passages in books.

I use LastPass for personal use and LastPass Enterprise for hosting. My master password is over 20 characters long and all site passwords are over 12 characters of random letters/numbers/symbols as long as the site allows for it.

Reminder to everyone: Your email account password is quite possibly more valuable than your bank account password/pin. Make it unique. If someone compromises your email they can access most of the sites you use through password resets. Some banks have pretty crappy password reset policies still.

Reminder to staff/cv/etc: Use a different password for Iwaku than you use anywhere else and verify that you are connected by https before entering your password. If something goes wrong and I find out your password is ILovePuppies123 I will make you suffer. *glares at Diana*

• Useful
Reactions: Greenie and Hana
I use LastPass for personal use and LastPass Enterprise for hosting. My master password is over 20 characters long and all site passwords are over 12 characters of random letters/numbers/symbols as long as the site allows for it.

Reminder to everyone: Your email account password is quite possibly more valuable than your bank account password/pin. Make it unique. If someone compromises your email they can access most of the sites you use through password resets. Some banks have pretty crappy password reset policies still.

Reminder to staff/cv/etc: Use a different password for Iwaku than you use anywhere else and verify that you are connected by https before entering your password. If something goes wrong and I find out your password is ILovePuppies123 I will make you suffer. *glares at Diana*
Well hell. Now I have to just go for a moment...

But no, I intentionally use different passwords for different things so that one password doesn't unlock everything. I haven't gotten on the LastPass/similar train yet but I have been eyeing it. Also, my emails that connect to anything important are both multi step, etc. Sometimes I read security things and I decide to implement them for my stuff, which is where a lot of this stems from. I'm just vaguely paranoid, though... to my knowledge, I've never been hacked or anything.

"UweBollmakestheB35Tmovies!!"

I used to have Last Pass on my previous laptop. It was incredibly useful :3

Usually just something followed by Abc. I'm so safe =w=

As safe as 123 ;)

Though normally I use names of places I frequent, or pet names.

depends on the site really, I use simple one word easy to remember passwords for sites that I don't have any important data like credit card details, for sites that need bank account details I make sure to create a unique password that I can remember but makes sense to no one else what so ever and I use numbers, caps and even symbols like @ and stuff like that.
Then there are sites for which I'd like to use a simple password but they don't let me and then i end up forgetting it and stuff XD

I have some passwords stored in a google doc but written in a way only I can make sense of it XD

Adventure games have taught me that the best method of password creation is using an item or combination of items that are found in the same room as my computer, and which are alluded to in my password hint just in case I develop short-term amnesia.

Reactions: Greenie
Adventure games have taught me that the best method of password creation is using an item or combination of items that are found in the same room as my computer, and which are alluded to in my password hint just in case I develop short-term amnesia.
I used to do that until I got a laptop. After that I'd look at keywords on the laptop. Just different word combinations.

Not cryptic, plot-related phrases that allude to a major theme in your life or story element?

I used to do that until I got a laptop. After that I'd look at keywords on the laptop. Just different word combinations.
Not cryptic, plot-related phrases that allude to a major theme in your life or story element?
Rosebud.

Reactions: Greenie
My passwords are saying a in different languages, may be capitalized, and may have a symbol thrown in. I use different emails for different things too :) I never used the email I had connected to my bank for another site.

If something supports two-factor authentication (i.e. Battle.net) then I use that and just have a simple password. If it doesn't, I still keep it simple, but throw in as much shit to make it incomprehensible to everybody else.

Relevant.

Do you think you use "safe password" techniques?
I do tend to try and make brute force er... Take longer? Good luck guessing my passwords though. One of the earliest passwords I remember (I no longer use) is "Coladopjesfabrikant" which is Dutch for er.. 'Coke bottle-cap manufacturer.' Most of them are utter bullshit.

Should you go change your bank pin from your birthday right now? (Probably).
Nope. My bank pin is the same as the first one that was the first default lock on my phone that wasn't 0000. Shitty at the time, just random numbers right now.

I use a password manager called KeePass to generate random passwords for each site. Each of which are of varying length(13 character minimum) and composed of random letters, symbols, and numbers. In theory, it being like that makes it easier for brute forcing, but the length of it makes brute forcing not ideal, and the randomness makes a dictionary attack impossible.

This would be a good time by the way to remind everybody that brute force is not the only method used to crack passwords. If you use a password composed of every day words or names, a dictionary attack can be used, where pretty much they take a text file full of different words, names, and common passwords and keep trying them until one clicks. Which is why sites encourage you to add symbols and numbers to your passwords.

I use a password manager called KeePass to generate random passwords for each site. Each of which are of varying length(13 character minimum) and composed of random letters, symbols, and numbers. In theory, it being like that makes it easier for brute forcing, but the length of it makes brute forcing not ideal, and the randomness makes a dictionary attack impossible.

This would be a good time by the way to remind everybody that brute force is not the only method used to crack passwords. If you use a password composed of every day words or names, a dictionary attack can be used, where pretty much they take a text file full of different words and names and keep trying them until one clicks. Which is why sites encourage you to add symbols and numbers to your passwords.

Most attacks also include 1337 5p33k versions as well so simply replacing letters with numbers doesn't help. Once you get past around three random words it is just as hard as brute forcing though

I've had the same password for over 10 years now, I've changed it every now and again and now it's a list of all my favorite videogames characters or this really stupid cheesy line from masseffect

Status
Not open for further replies.