Password Protected

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitti

I recently came across a post concerning passwords that postulated that many sites which have adopted the infamous "complex password formula" (six letters, one number, etc.) cause people, who struggled to remember such things, to become less safe due to easily identified patterns. This post went on to suggest that long passwords made of several unrelated words of varying lengths would be easier to remember but harder to brute force due to likely increase in size (from mashing words together), staggered capitalization (from words of varying length), and more originality. I don't think anyone has ever tried to hack me so I can't really post any anecdotal evidence but I gave it a go for some of mine and they're at least easier to remember.

What do you think? Do you think you use "safe password" techniques? Should you go change your bank pin from your birthday right now? (Probably).

The konami code, but spelled using letters, of which some are capital, with the use of numbers as some buttons, and also written incorrectly. 15 symbols.

I feel like that suffices. That, or my eight digit leet numeral code.

My usual password is 1 followed by the combination of my Grade 4 and Grade 5 school computer passwords.

So basically a bunch of random letters that no one would think to guess. XD
The 1's just in there to bypass the "A NUMBER IS REQUIRED!" shit.

As for a Bank Pin?
I 'did' use my YOB, when I used the Bank.

Hit the point where once graduating I lost my student status, so interest rates started.
And since I currently lack a consistent income? It did nothing but eat money, so I just keep all my cash in my room.

All my passwords have been relatively long and/or complex words with easy to remember numbers behind them. Nothing fancy. Never been broken either. Problem is remembering them after I change them.

Guild Wars 2 IIRC has a stupidly complex method of making you create a password. Which makes it wholly unique.

I agree that mashing together a long string of words makes for a fairly secure but easier-to-remember password (easier than trying to remember which exact variation of your usual password you used and where you put all the 1's and capital letters, anyway). Just choose a saying or a quote that you'll remember and take out all the spaces. You can make a pretty long password for yourself that way -- while also having some sort of significance to you that helps you remember it. Bonus points if it's not a super-well-known saying, and is instead something at least a bit more obscure but that stands out to you personally. The longer the quote/saying, the better (so long as it's still something you'll remember).

Another strategy I would recommend? l33t speak. Just take your usual password and start replacing letters with numbers in places that make sense to you. Depending on what you started with and how many letters you replaced, you may very well wind up with a password that looks like a jumble of numbers and letters -- typically one of the more secure types of passwords -- but is actually an easy-to-remember word or phrase that holds significance to you. :P

Last edited:
Just make a three word phrase and add a number on the end and you'll never lose. Ever. Something that nobody rational would guess, like...

"LovelyFundayGrandmas90"

Or, if you don't hate yourself.

"StrippersAreGay100"

Or, if you still don't hate yourself yet...

"ThePasswordIsPeekab00"

The longer it is, the harder it is to brute force kids. :ferret:

Scewthisshit99! My password for everything!

Not really, but I'm considering it, because I honestly can never remember my passwords when they make me throw in a symbol. I hate complex passwords, and if it weren't for them being saved, I'd probably be changing them every single day. When I clear my browser history though...and accidentally erase my saved passwords, I always have to go through ever website to change them because I can't remember what they are. =/

I use variations of my old high-school student number, my college student number and old screen names, depending on what I need the password for.

It's a number (or two) that I've long had memorized, but never had any reason to share with anyone, because unlike with birthdays nobody cares to know that info. I use parts of my screen my old screen names because those aren't used in everyday conversation.

I have a bunch that I just rotate every few months. Honestly I dislike the whole add a number, symbol, cap, etc etc.

I agree that mashing together a long string of words makes for a fairly secure but easier-to-remember password (easier than trying to remember which exact variation of your usual password you used and where you put all the 1's and capital letters, anyway). Just choose a saying or a quote that you'll remember and take out all the spaces. You can make a pretty long password for yourself that way -- while also having some sort of significance to you that helps you remember it. Bonus points if it's not a super-well-known saying, and is instead something at least a bit more obscure but that stands out to you personally. The longer the quote/saying, the better (so long as it's still something you'll remember).

Another strategy I would recommend? l33t speak. Just take your usual password and start replacing letters with numbers in places that make sense to you. Depending on what you started with and how many letters you replaced, you may very well wind up with a password that looks like a jumble of numbers and letters -- typically one of the more secure types of passwords -- but is actually an easy-to-remember word or phrase that holds significance to you. :P
Exactly! The ones that I use are quotations from something but no reasonable person would guess "Hey, I bet Kitti's password is -". For a few more secure ones, I use blended languages and numbers, too.

I like twisting personal nicknames with names of dead pets and mushing it with numbers from my long retired lunch card. Also try to alternate between at least 3 different passwords.

My other tip is make sure you always type out the password versus copy-paste. One time I was trying to copy-paste an image in a chat after signing in and I pressed ctrl+V instead of ctrl+C. T.T Live and learn.

Then WHY did you just post it publicly!?
Not really, but I'm considering it
@Nydanna If you're having trouble keeping track of them all can I suggest writing them down in a list? My wife's the same when it comes to passwords and remembering the variances she has to put in them occasionally. Keeping a list in a notebook we can pull out is beyond useful. Keep it in a safe place or locked up if that's a concern.

Hit the point where once graduating I lost my student status, so interest rates started.
And since I currently lack a consistent income? It did nothing but eat money, so I just keep all my cash in my room.
864739.jpg

I should archive this, but instead I choose to respond.
I have a different password for every site, all are a few dozen characters long and I don't memorise them at all.
Password databases are great.

I keep all my passwords in my phone, it's easier for me that way as I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to memorizing them all. And my phone's secure enough that I don't really have to worry about anyone hacking into it.

I used to have the same password for all my accounts, but I quickly realized that could end very badly very easily so I eventually changed them to be more unique. I still have a go to password for accounts that I wouldn't be too concerned about if someone were to break into it, as I just have far too many to come up with a separate password for each of them.

My passwords usually contain information personal to me along with an element of randomness so that they're hard to brute force/guess but also easier for me to remember (not that it matters, since they're stored in my phone as I already mentioned).

I have to change passwords at work for 4 different platforms every 2 months...

This means every comic book, every event, every date, every fucking postal code, ever, is being used. And I can't have the same one as the last 5-6.
J.F.C.

Right now, I have... about 10 different passwords (I also count variations with capital letters and special symbols like !@$-?&% ) so yeah... Why or how I remember them all? I really don't know. So much brain space used and abused for stupid passwords. I don't write them down because I'm bound to lose the piece of paper or forget it somewhere, then it's RIP.

I have a half dozen passwords of varying complexity and length. When I was working, the number was at least doubled.

Reactions: Pahndemic
I have one base password comprised of a number of digits, then I add things on either side or that string of numbers for each site/account. Probably ends up being middling strength against brute force attempts, but likely total shit if someone were to figure out that number and go looking to break into all my accounts. I am, however, smart enough to go completely random with important things like bank account passwords, so at most people might be able to steal my gaming accounts and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.