Partners In Crime

"You didn't find yourself a nice boyfriend in prison, then? You didn't even win the affections of a guard? See, that's what I would have done. Found a nice woman guard and charmed my way into some privileges from her. I thought you'd be smart enough to do something like that-- we both know you could charm anyone into giving you what you want, hm? I suppose you're smart enough to do that without entering a fake relationship with them," he shrugged, happy to admit the fact Reizo could be more manipulative than he was. He definitely had talent, but he wasn't so smug that he'd profess himself to be without flaws.

In contrast, he would happily declare that Reizo was the smartest person he knew, and that he had no real flaws to speak of... other than an arrogance that sometimes clouded judgement, as evidenced by his unfortunate arrest.

"I just think we should share a bed, that's all. We're friends, it's all good, yeah? I'm all for it," he continued as he glanced over at the file, his frown growing in disapproval. "...This would be much more fun if he had some secrets you could blackmail him with. He's going to make you do the dullest things, Reizo. It won't be fun-- and I won't have you to hang out with during the day. I know I sound like a child whinging on about it, but it's unfair on me."

• Love
Reactions: saturnia pavonia
“Yeah, but isn’t the night life more fun?” He offered in encouragement as he pouted at his friend’s frown, yawning heavily. The day had been exhausting, after all, so it was no surprise that his energy eventually faded when everything finally hit him. Glancing up the steps to his loft, he wiggled his brows before getting up to stretch.

“Let’s get ready for bed, then, yeah?” He offered with a small smile before motioning the other to follow. “I’m going to take a shower, we can talk about all the fun in the morning. I just want to sleep on my comfy bed and relax, yeah?” He cooed, dating to offer a chaste kiss on the other’s cheek.

Being kissed on the cheek by is friend didn't concern or bother him whatsoever. He knew that it was platonic and chaste, simply an expression of Reizo's consideration and care for him, so flinching away from his affection had never once felt like a viable option. If anything, he happily encouraged it, often reciprocating it with a long hug or something along those lines.

The closeness was precisely why Theodore assumed the two were more than a lawyer with his client. At the meeting in the prison, he noted how personal the two seemed to be, definitely closer than a simple professional relationship, and that instinct alone made him want to get to the bottom of it. With two agents deployed to follow Reizo home, they caught Reizo and the 'lawyer' hugging and appearing to be good friends, which, once that information was relayed back to Theo, ensured to him that this was someone he needed to be aware of. He never had Reizo down as someone who made genuine friends, after all, so if Albie was someone close to him, there was a possibility he was in the same sort of work.

Researching the alias Albie had given -'Dominic Johnston'- eventually got him to the truth of the matter, through hours of hard work tracking down thin leads and brief notes. Despite knowing who Albie was and knowing for a fact he was masquerading as a lawyer, as well as assuming he had other identities on the go, Theodore didn't act on it. He had no real evidence that Albie was a partner in crime to Reizo, after all - but he knew he could pretend he did and surely, threatening to chase up those imaginary leads would spur Reizo into investing his full effort into the FBI work?

It was a shred of good fortune he knew he could use to his advantage.

"I'm surprised you arrived here on time, I worried I'd have to pick you up at your home," the agent drawled as he watched the tracking anklet finally be attached around the criminal's ankle, sipping his coffee in satisfaction at the sight. Once it was safely on he took a seat at his desk and ushered Reizo to sit opposite him.

"...How's Albert? Is he well?" He began calmly, a small smile perking at his lips. He was never supposed to know about Albie, and he knew that, which made the bombshell all the more enjoyable. "You were at school together-- I saw the high school photos of you both. He must be a close friend if you stayed in touch all this time. I know he's not a lawyer, Reizo-- though he was very convincing, I'll give him that."

“Of course I’m on time, I don’t know why you assume I wouldn’t be. I’m not some savage, Theodore, I respect others,” he replied simply as he neatly took a seat, his eyes only briefly glancing down at the ankle bracelet. With some decorating, he knew he could probably make it at least somewhat nice enough to incorporate into an outfit somehow, yeah?

Once comfortable, he remained quiet as the detective rambled on, a small smile on his lips as he tapped his fingers against the table impatiently. Was he pissed? No, he was fucking furious, though he hid it well as he rested his head in his hand.

“I’ll tell him you said that,” he decided to reply after a pause on how to approach it. If he lied, there was a chance of further investigation on his friend and, as promised, he wanted to keep Albie far from the drama. On the other, he had no idea what the government planned to do with that new information. The latter seemed the most logical. “Can we get to the task at hand, please? I just want to get this work done and go home. Albie is a friend, yes, but he wants nothing to do with all of this nonesense. He only got me out of jail because he felt bad for me.”

"I think I've spent enough time studying your case to know that's not quite the truth now, is it? I'm pretty sure your friend's fingerprints are in the system somewhere. I read he got arrested back in '15 after a brawl in a bar. Now, what would happen if I ran those prints on some unsolved crimes in the city? I have a hunch it'd come up as a match-- but I won't do that, providing you keep in line. I'm sure it's an incentive to put your all into this and don't abuse the chance you have, Reizo. I had to pull a lot of strings and do a lot of convincing to my colleagues to get you here," he continued sternly, tapping his fingers on a file in front of him. He wasn't totally convinced this was a good idea but the positives seemed to outweigh the potential dangers and risks involved.

If Reizo could help offer an insight into cases and get them solved quicker, it surely wasn't a bad thing?

"...There was a robbery at the museum a month back, I'm sure you heard about it whilst in prison. A few Roman vases and artefacts were taken. They're not the most expensive items, but the historical value is immense so we need them back as soon as possible. I have some leads, but the evidence isn't there. I'm sure I've missed something only a criminal eye can spot," he snorted, sliding the papers across the desk once deciding that it was too late to go back now Reizo was here, sat in front of him and dressed surprisingly smartly. He had expected him to roll up in casual sweatpants, just to get a reaction. The fact he didn't was a relief. "...Thomas Patrick is the main suspect, he has a track record for this sort of thing; for its historical importance, rather than its monetary value. He was in the city, he visited the museum a day before the theft... I'm sure it's him. I just can't find the evidence I need yet."

“I’m aware,” he replied simply, briefly glancing over the file. While most thieves kept to themselves, it didn’t mean they weren’t aware of one another. It was nice because it meant no one could really tell on the other because it would simply lead to everyone outing everyone and that was something everyone wanted to avoid. Now that Riezo had essentially ruined that established situation, he had no problem ratting out other’s.

“Where does he usually strike? Is it irregular or is it scheduled? There are things you need to know that you seemingly don’t on this paper before you can make any real claims, Theo,” he murmured, genuinely curious at the case. “He lives over the river, right? In New Jersey?”

"...It's a hunch. I've dealt with him before and this is the sort of thing he does. He gets arrested then worms his way out of things on technicalities. I want him locked up and I think this is the best way to do that. But I know I need the evidence-- cast iron evidence so he can't walk out free again. You need to help with that. We can head to the museum and go over the case with the curator if you need the details," he sighed, stirring a packet of sweetener into his coffee. He wouldn't usually, being too strict with his diet to even allow himself the treat of a sweetened coffee, but today was an exception. In fact, mornings when he was slightly hungover were always exceptions - f he didn't have the sugar in his system, he wouldn't function all that well at is job, and, with Reizo at his side, he needed as much energy and awareness as possible.

"New Jersey, yeah, but all the places he targets tend to be here in the city. He goes for museums usually; always artefacts and vases and all of that sort of stuff. I trust my gut on this one. It's got his name written all over it. The thief blagged his way into the museum dressed as a security guard; Thomas does that sort of thing regularly. If it isn't him, he's got a copycat. We could head to talk to him again after the museum, or before it-- I'm curious how you think we should proceed, to be honest."

“Well, why not during?” He suggested, his brow wiggling curiously. “It would be like a cute date for you and I, yes? A nice way to really get to know one another. Hm...yes. I think during the exhibit would be best, since you seem to know his usual time. It’ll catch him off guard - he’ll be too distracted focused on his target,” he explained casually before cracking his knuckles.

“Now, I assume we can’t use some fancy helicopter that our tax money provides, huh? We’ll probably have to take the subway.... unfortunate. I’m not a fan, evidently, but I’ll compromise with you. All you have to do is promise me a cup of coffee later?” He offered smoothly, a charming smile on his lips.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: potassiumboron
The idea was a good one, and he wouldn't deny that. If the suspect was busy lining up his next target at an exhibit (which he wouldn't be able to resist turning up to), then it was the perfect time to question him again and see if any of the details of his story changed. He recognised that it was a good idea and one he would have thought of himself, but the general attitude of the other was already starting to grate. He couldn't spend the whole day with him if he was going out of his way to drop charming smiles or allude to dates. It was annoying and while he assumed that was the point -to annoy him- he didn't want to deal with it.

"...You need to be professional, rather than act like a child," he mumbled as he got to his feet, grabbing his badge and his phone with a sigh. "I know you pretty well; I spent two years trying to catch you. I think I know you well enough, and unless you want to own up to anymore crimes, I don't need to know anything else about you, Reizo. Just act professional; this isn't a cool new hobby, this is your job now."

“You don’t know anything about me,” he replied simply as he, too, got to his feet and stretched enough to hear a pop in his back. “You could spend a whole decade reading files on me and you’ll never know me, understood?” He murmured, a dark look in his eyes as he shot Theodore a glance. He quickly followed it with a charming smile.

“I would hide the badge. If he sees it, he’ll just find a way out. You need him to feel comfortable in his surroundings before getting him. You lure an animal in with soft coos and treats before truly trapping it,” he reminded before running a hand through his hair. “Let’s go then.”

• Creative
It took all the inner strength he had not to lose his cool at what he saw to be complete disrespect. He had worked hard his whole life; too hard to be told what to do and how to act by a criminal that really ought to be behind bars for the rest of his sentence. Instead, he had to put up with Reizo's 'advice' when he didn't ask for it, but reacting loudly and sternly was hardly going to win him the respect he wanted. He knew respect had to be earned, and if he stood any chance of Reizo behaving himself, shouting at him wasn't going to bring him that.

"You know him better than I do, I suppose. I'm sure you're all aware of one another," he shrugged as he calmly set his badge in his pocket, adjusting his gun in its holder before making a leave out of the office. "...Just don't ruin this. I'm not sure if you're planning on making a run for it once we're out, I'm trusting you not to. Don't let me down on this, alright?"

“Even if I did want to run away, you’re tracking me, yeah?” He confirmed, shaking his leg teasingly as he moved towards the door, exhaling at the pleasant sunlight once out on the street, a genuine smile on his lips.

After the months of being locked up, the one thing he missed the most was the sun. While he preferred to keep on the pale side, on account of his preferred aesthetic, he was willing to get a tan if it meant being able to enjoy the warm rays.

“Alright, then. Let’s get a coffee at the museum cafe, enjoy some art... then catch an art thief,” he decided with a smirk before slipping a pair of round sunglasses on, tying his hair up in a small bun.

"You are aware that I have nothing on him, aren't you? The only reason I have to question him is the fact the theft of the vases is reminiscent of the crimes he's committed; same target, same method, same everything. It doesn't mean he's behind it. Finding some evidence first would be handy but there weren't any fingerprints-- it's complicated. We can question him but I don't think we'll be catching anyone, not unless you figure something out while we're there," he sighed, having to explain just how mundane the current case was. Not all the cases he worked were high-octane thrillers, after all. Very few were. Most of the cases he had took a while to solve and ended up being boring.

The two years he chased Reizo, however long the eventual capture was, were the most entertained he had been in his job, though he wasn't going to boost the criminal's ego by admitting that.

"We'll question him-- but he might not be our thief, remember that before you go in all guns blazing. He's a criminal but he might be perfectly innocent this time. Who knows."

“Relax. You’re clearly not as observant as me and that’s totally fine,” he reassured before motioning the other to follow. He had memorized every museum and gallery, even the upcoming ones only featuring local artists in abandon buildings. He had put work in said galleries, after all.

Once in the museum, he offered the woman at the desk a charming smile before slipping her money, glad to hear her giggle from just a friendly greeting. It didn’t take him long to find the statues, dating back as far as Ancient Greece. Scanning the room, he landed his eyes on the familiar man almost immediately.

“You stay back, yeah? I’ll talk to him. No one else knows about the situation, after all. They just assume I was let go on a plea, right?” He confirmed, brows raised.

The idea of letting Reizo go and speak to another criminal in the art theft and forgery world was risky. He didn't trust Reizo yet, understandably, and he wasn't sure he ever would. The only way he would trust him is if Reizo proved it with action, so while he knew there was a chance he would run up to the other criminal and formulate a plan to steal the ancient artefacts around them, he also knew he had to put some trust in Reizo in order to get some in return.

"...Be quick. If I catch wind that you told him anything he can use to get himself off from this crime, if he's guilty -about hiding potential evidence and whatnot- you're straight back behind bars, Reizo. I mean it. Do your job and... and you'll stay out of jail."

With that final warning in place, the agent reluctantly turned his back to inspect some of the artefacts - he had a genuine interest in them and the history involved, so it wasn't a wasted journey. Meanwhile, Thomas only grew aware of his surroundings when catching the footsteps heading straight for him, tearing his attention away from the Roman pottery, only to smile in recognition at Reizo. They weren't necessarily in the same field of work, with Reizo involved in art forgery while Thomas preferred to steal ancient artefacts, but there was still a mutual appreciation. At least on Thomas' side there was.

"Reizo Petregallo, as I live and breathe-- I thought you were in prison? 5-year sentence, so I heard," the man smiled, his back perfectly straight as he turned back to the pottery. "...I didn't take ancient historical artefacts to be your scene; I thought art was your passion? Or have I underestimated you~?"

1229.jpg

Attachments

• 1229.jpg
    1229.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
“It seems I’m always being underestimated, Thomas,” he replied coolly as he observed the cracked vase, a finger to his lips. “Ah, yes, well. I had a plea, yes? They messed up in their research and let me out free. Granted, I get to wear this adorable ankle bracelet for awhile - wouldn’t want to scare anyone, would I?” He drawled before raising a curious brow.

“Now, ancient artifacts are an art of their own, yes? While I do prefer the painting medium, I’ve always appreciated proper pottery. Dabbled in it a bit in college but it just wasn’t for me. Now are you just here to observe? I was hoping that perhaps, I was a warning to our little group,” he murmured, his own eyes landing back on the vase.

"Of course I'm just here to observe. I'm not proud of my past endeavours. I'm simply an admirer of these things nowadays. Your arrest was a wake up call. If the infamous Reizo could get caught, any of us could. I'm sure prison was hell for you, but it was the best thing that could have happened for me. I can't pay for any crimes if I don't commit them, hm?" The other responded slowly, eyeing the tracking anklet with a faintly amused smile. Just because he admired Reizo's work and considered him an ally in the business didn't mean he was going to blurt out his plans to steal the vase in front of him.

The business was one where trusting people was almost impossible. Plans could be high-jacked easily, and while Reizo wasn't necessarily working in the same field as him, he still wouldn't put it past him to high-jack a plan if he did tell him details of it.

"...Though this vase is tempting, my hands aren't going to be touching it anytime soon, I assure you. Not my thing anymore. I'm sure you won't be dabbling in this world anymore either, after your prison stint?"

“Is that why I can see you taking in something so interesting like the lighting? Plus you’re leaning in dangerously close to the sensor,” he noted, tapping a finger against his chin with a smirk. “Maybe I’m looking a bit too into it. Whoops.”

Walking around the vase, he too took in the situation curiously. He knew it wasn’t a good idea but how fun would it be to steal the vase before him? It was risky, he knew that, but the only thing truly fun in life was taking risks.

"...And if I did want to take it? It doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to do so when there are dozens of FBI agents crawling about me at the moment, interrogating me about stealing the Roman vase. I'm not so eager that I'd take it given the attention on me right now-- over nothing, might I add. I haven't taken anything since the-- well, you don't need to know that," he grinned, taking a strategic step back away from the vase once realising how close he had come to it. He was hardly hiding his intrigue or disguising his intentions, but Thomas did have a habit of boasting about his crimes to those in the small circle. The fact he wasn't boasting about taking the other Roman artefact -the one the FBI assumed he had- was an immediate indication that he hadn't taken it.

"...Who's the guy watching you over there, Reizo? The guy with the gun strapped to his body? I notice these things," he drawled with a small glance across the room towards Theodore, his mood dropping. "...Is he a fucking cop? Is he after you or me?"

Mimicking the other, he perfectly feigned his own wariness of the cop. After all, announcing that Theodore just so happened to be working with him would ruin the illusion. Shoving his hands in his pocket awkwardly, he instead focused on the vase.

“Act natural and we’ll be fine,” he reminded. “They’re all over this city now after I was released. I think they’re jealous, that I got out, so they’re desperate for any slim chance of catching someone else. It’s hilarious, really, how desperate they are to seem superior,” he commented before deciding to offer Thomas what seemed to be a genuine smile. “Relax. If you really do have no intentions on stealing the vase, why worry? And if you do, I know you’re smart enough to get it.”