Pack Lands

As the pack vanished into the snow, Nova struggled to her feet and limped to the mouth of the cave, whining softly. She was still a young wolf but she understood that danger is everywhere, particularly in the winter. But there was something about the warmth of other bodies, their snuffles and barks, that had made her feel so very safe. They were right, though. She would have been a hindrance to their trek.

With one last look at the gathering clouds swollen with coming snow, the she-wolf padded back into her den and settled around her babes who immediately set to nursing with greedy little squeals. She closed her eyes and lowered her head to the cold ground, trying to savor this small moment of peace.

A beautiful white wolf walks though the land, her white tail with a black tip drags against the ground. She was wasting time but she didn't mind, she was a wolf on a mission. Her ears was perked and her eyes narrowed, trying to find some place where she could stay. She howled a song of beauty and grace. she then waited for a long time. looking for some kind of reply. she then races off, her nose to the ground, looking for new scents, any at all she could follow. she was also very tired, her paws ached. she sat there for a bit, just to rest before she continues walking.

A strong male wandered through the snow, his fur harsh against the stark white of the ground. He had big, orange eyes and silky black fur, trotting silently and easily through the snow. Occasionally he would pause and listen, his ears swiveling. Nothing. He had been alone for weeks, occasionally eating small rabbits. At one point he thought he heard a faint howl, but his pursuit of that wolf was given up days ago. He was a lone wolf, had been since his mother and siblings died two years ago. But now he wanted company, craved it. A new sent suddenly piqued his interest. It was a scent he knew from long ago.. pups. Being a loner his whole life, he was never taught how to behave around other wolves. He ran towards the smell and happened upon a small den.
Pawing through the snow, he went into the den, blocking out most of the light at the entrance. A blonde mother with two white cups laid at the back, his scent not reaching her yet. "HI!" He barked loudly, tail wagging a hundred miles an hour.

Nova yelped with surprise as a call wrenched her from her fitful sleep. She sniffed the air suspiciously, the tingle of ice and wolf-smell making her alert.

"Clem, is that you?" She whined, straining to make out the figure in the darkening sky. Her eyes widened as she took in the large wolf and she snapped to her feet. Instinct made her heart pound in her ears. A strong male like that could take her out in seconds.
Her legs trembled as she studied his jovially wagging tail. He seemed so... young. So friendly.

She gave a shy half-wag, her blue eyes uncertain. "Do you intend to harm us?" She asked, steeling herself.

after hearing the howl echo through the cave. fang sprinted out of the cave and down the mountain after a good 5 minutes he made it to the den. he jumped over the other male putting himself between him and nova and her pups. he looked back at nova. "are you ok"

Loki, his name, the only thing he remembered from being a pup, cocked his head to the left, ears alert. "Why would I do that?" Suddenly a much larger male tore into the cave, turning quickly to stand between the female and Loki. "Oh, hi! Are you her mate? Lovely pups." He felt like jumping up and down with excitement, not realizing he could be in danger now that there were two wolves facing him.
Suddenly his nose picked up the scent of blood and he pinpointed the source.. It was the mother. Loki's tail stopped wagging and he feared for the pups. He didn't want them to lose their family like he had.

Nova felt a surge of warmth for her new friends as Fang flew in to the rescue.

"We are fine, thank you." She snuffled, giving him a reassuring wag of her fluffy golden tail. She returned her attention to the new young male, limping forward cautiously. Her nose wiggled as she sniffed first the air around him, then near his face. She studied his expression intently, searching for any hint of danger. She found nothing but young ambition, excitement, and a great measure of loss which tugged at the young mother's heart strings.

She looked over her wounded shoulder to Fang and gave him a happy wuff. "I like him." She barked, turning back and giving Loki a friendly lick on the side of his muzzle. "I am Nova. This is Fang. He is not my mate, but he is family." She hesitated, cocking her head. "Where is your pack? Mating season is over by weeks now. Why haven't you rejoined them?"

"Pack? I don't remember having one." Loki's brow furrowed as he tried to think, his previously panting mouth now closed. "Either way, they're gone now. I've been alone for so long, I'm happy to have found you two!" He pawed the ground anxiously, toes wiggling. He enjoyed her motherly lick, remembering the warmth he had as a puppy. "What are you waiting for, let's go hunt!" He leaped playfully towards the other male, tail wagging. "A wounded mother with two pups and you haven't brought her any food?"

fang looked at nova "are you sure" he had lowered to show respect to the female. he looked back up at the male you stay here and protect her. ill go hunt. he started walking out the den and down the mountain towards the valley. it would a long trip back up.

Loki dropped to the floor in a dramatic show of disappointment. He had never hunted with another wolf before and was desperate to try it. His ears went back and he dropped his head on his paws, before standing and moping over to Nova. "I'm Loki." He finally introduced himself, cocking his head curiously at the hungry, wiggling puppies.

The white wolf was Shatonya, a wolf who has been a loner since she was born, she always wanted to be alone and not have fun with others, which amazed her mother and father which where most pups wanted to play rough with their brothers and sisters, Shatonya, forget it! That however has changed she is no longer independent like she used to be. she has been searching for a pack to join and those who would accept her for who she was. her black paw pads made prints though the snow, her white fur was blending in with her surroundings which was good if she was hunting. "hello?!" she calls, her head up to the sky, like she was searching for... some kind of sign, what it is... she does not know.

Clem's ears perked up, listening to the sounds of the mountains. "I will be back. Please make yourselves comfortable." She scooted her way out of the den into the blistering cold. She hated the mountain, yet it gave her so much protection. Growing up here made it easier for her but still she wished she could give this new pack protection the way she felt protection.

She heard a female wolfs howl and answered, a long drawn out howl in return. She began padding through the snow, listening to the small noises and soon stumbled upon a lonely wolf. The white wolf was alone and Clem let out a shot bark.

"Hello there. Are you alright?" She called and padded over to her. "Hi. My name is Clem. I am the alpha of Pack Lands. Are you lost?" She questioned quietly before hearing the noise from Nova and her pups. She heard other wolves as well even though they were quite far away. She had learned to use the mountains echoes to her advantage. Once the worry subsided she turned her attention back to the white wolf.

after about an hour of hunting he had taken the life of a large deer. he was slowly pulling it up the mountain, it would take another 30 minutes to get it back up to the den. as he was dragging the deer he had flash back about his pack. he never wanted it to happen again.

Nova thumped her tail approvingly at Loki.

"I haven't named them yet." She said, licking her pups lovingly. They whimpered at her touch, pawing blindly at eachother.

Her ears flicked forward as a howl split the silence of the evening. It was followed by a longer, lower one that made her pulse race.

"That's Clem!" She gasped, tail wagging anxiously. "Is she returning so soon?" Concerned for her alpha, Nova raised her head and gave a sweet high-pitched howl in answer to the other she-wolf's. The week-old pups nestled in her side mimicked her in turn, the squeak of their infant howls barely loud enough to escape the den.

fang had just reached the den. he had found a way to get the deer on his back so it was easier to carry up the mountain. he walked into the den and dropped the deer in the middle of it. "he looked at the other wolves here you guys go."

Loki heard the distant howl and his ears perked up intently, darting to the mouth of the cave. "Is that your pack?" He asked excitedly, his rear end about to fall off if he got any happier.
Nova's howl then cut through the air and Loki turned to look at her, orange eyes kind.
Suddenly Fang walked backwards in, dragging a huge deer by the throat. Loki darted over to help, grabbing a mouthful. "This is a lot heavier than rabbits." He spoke through his mouthful.

"I had to drag it up the mountain. How do you think i feel"

Shatonya looked at the new wolf and tilts her head. "Um... no I am not, I'm just passing through and wondered if anyone was nearby" she says as she stretches, then she yawns. She didn't have enough sleep the past few days.

Melantha wandered through the mountain trails, searching for a new place to call home. She had no family that she knew of. Her mother and father had been killed, her brother and sister had abandoned her. Now, she had nowhere to go. She was desperate for a place to call home, a pack who would welcome her, or at least some food. Exhausted, she lay down in the heavy snow, lifting her head and howling, hoping there would be an answer back. Unable to keep awake any longer, Melantha fell into sleep, hoping she would wake with another wolf beside her.

"If you want I can show you my den. You can stay with my pack." She perked her ears up, sensing yet another wolf in the area. Man, no wolves one minute and then a bunch the next. She thought. She went through the wintery mountains further, smelling for the other wolf. She soon found the female, asleep. She nudged her.

"Follow me." She said. "I can bring you to a warmer place."