Overture

Status
Not open for further replies.
She was resting her head on her knees which were hugged up to her chest, staring at the landscape when Atticus approached her. She only shifted her head so she can look at him standing upwards. Her eyebrow raised for a moment at the sudden cocksure demeanor he took with her intrigued Tiamo. Assuming he really was that guy during that Felsen House raid he knew she had a temper and what she was capable of. She stifled an ironic laugh at his surprise to see her on some fucking goody noble-financed mission. It was the same case she had for him really, what the hell would Atticus be doing here?

She eyed his offering but dismissed it quickly. The last thing she wanted was charity, even if from an old acquaintance. She made her annoyance at the usage of her birthname apparent and rested her hand on the blade she held strapped over her shoulder teasingly.

"If your beginning to think I'm softening, I'm only here because I have to be. Got that?" She told him in a surprisingly neutral yet intimdating tone. She turned back towards the landscape afterwards.

• Love
Reactions: senpai
If your beginning to think I'm softening, I'm only here because I have to be. Oh? Atticus could almost scoff; how adorable. He took a bite of the bread that was he was going to offer, "If you don't mind sharing, why do you have to be here?" He asked teasingly, emphasizing the word 'have'. Atticus wiped the extra crumb from the corner of his lips and continued, "A crook like you would usually be seen at the streets, scanning each passer-by to see who is packed or not," He pointed out, reminding the acquaintance that she was a thief; not a loyal dog.

His stomach already full from the juicy apple, he packed away his loaf to save it for later. Atticus hummed, a smug formed upon his chapped lips.

She gave him a weary yet curious look. He was still as poppy and sly as ever. "Jeez..persistant little prick." She thought to herself while rolling her eyes at his attempt to crane out information from her. She had spent enough years on the street in order to know what kind of words he would use to get an advantage. A silver tongue afterall was a very valuable thing to have whilst on the job, Tiamo even possesed one of her own though lately she hardly uses it, favoring a direct give me your money or get stabbed approach. "I don't want to die..yet." She then told him, it was vague just like she wanted and probably the most info his probing would get. She turned away from him almost instinctively and saw Serina off in the distance studying some kind of plant.

"Hmm," Atticus rubbed his chin, "So they got a tight lesh on you," He assumed, saying as if it was casual. Seeing that she was looking away, he turned to the direction she was viewing at and saw a woman not too far away. Studying plants, Atticus assumed, observing the stranger working. Serina, was it? Despite that she may have been busy, he decided to call her out anyways, "Hey!" Atticus waved one of his hand as a signal he was speaking to her, "What are you doing?" He then glanced at Tiamo, waiting to see if she somewhat reacted to his interaction.

Last edited:
Serina was too absorbed in the plant to notice the people around her. She carefully observed the sample she took, noting down the details she was unable to catch with her rough sketch. She itched for the lab she had back home where she could test the various properties of the plant, but she doubted the captain would be willing to let her go back just to run tests. Or maybe he would, to get rid of her, seeing as he seemed to dislike the entire group. With a wry smile to herself, she put the plant sample along with the rest of the things she pulle out back into the saddle bag and pulled out her lunch again. She scanned the group's resting spot for a place to sit, and found the woman she had mentally labeled as "scary lady with socialization problems", looking at her.

Seeing that Serina still haven't noticed his wave, Atticus again repeated himself when he found her staring at Timao, "Hey!" The cunning smirk from his face that seemed to be permanent hasn't left his face. "Join lunch with us," He invited, scooting an open spot for the lady. Atticus was near Tiamo, his legs crossed in indian-style. He wasn't awfully too interested in the woman but he did at least want to try to get to know her. After all, that was Atticus's intention; knowing his comrade's persona. He still wasn't sure what to do after when the mission ends; he might get thrown in jail because of his background. If that happens, then Atticus would swipe some few treasure away before making his escape.

Last edited:
Serina started at the sound of a man's voice. She found that she'd been staring at the scary lady with socialization problems, Bellrose, Bellcrose, Bellecrose? She couldn't quite remember. Putting the woman out of her mind for the moment, Serina looked for the source of the voice, and found the man she had mentally labeled "man with a creepy smirk", inviting her to join him and Bellerose, yes that was her name, for lunch. She hestitated for a moment, wondering if she wanted to put herself so close to the rather indimidating Bellerose, then decided she needed to know the people she was traveling with. She made her way over to the two. She managed a nervous smile, and a short greeting. "um, hi..."

Atticus gave a brief nod, "Why so tense?" A light chuckle escaped from his lips, "Sit," He gestured the open spot he saved for her and smiled. He folded a strand of hair behind his ear, "So I believe you study in plants?" Atticus blurted, starting a conversation. He picked at the blades of grass, sometimes tapping on it rhythmically. Atticus knew his way with the forest so he might understand the topic without trouble. There comes a time he recalled from way back, Atticus lived in the woods for a month now out of boredom. He didn't use books or knowledge to help his way, Atticus guided his own path and followed his instincts.

At Atticus' question of "Why so tense?", Serina unconciously flicked her eyes towards the red haired woman sitting nearby. She quickly focused her attention back on Atticus and sat down in the proferred spot, returning his smile with one of her own that she hoped didn't look as nervous as her previous one. "Uh, n-not exactly, I mostly use plants to make poultices to help treat wounds and such. My mother was an herb witch, she taught me much of what I know. When I have time, I occasionally experiment with plants to find out more about their properties. I-I'm not exactly a professional in the area." Serina silently cursed her voice for being so full of stutters. She supposed it was the price she paid for spending so much time with books and not enough time with people.

Hm? Atticus glanced at Timao, and realized it was because of her presence. "You sound like a professional to me," He answered, cocking his head slightly. His bangs swept away, as it revealed on of his eyes. There was a tiny glint of curiosity in his eyes, and interest that no one wants to know. The thief pulled some leaves away, gripping on it before letting it fall, as the breeze picked it up. He watched it soar away, as the wind led it to God knows where. "Did you know?" He finally spoke, not letting the silence stretch any further, "The plant you just picked up was Aconitum," He arched a brow, though she didn't notice since his hair was in the way, "Also known as, the queen of poison," He grazed his fingers on the grass, "I advise that you stay away from it; to avoid illness," Atticus suggested, an eerie chime in his voice.

Last edited:
Serina watched the breeze catch the leaves falling from Atticus' hand and blew them up into the sky, then turned her attention back to the man. He had a strange look in his eye that made her fell slightly uncomfortable. For a long moment, silence streched between them, then Atticus spoke again. Serina immdiately perked up when he mentioned the name of the plant. She completely ignored his warning in favor of interrogating him on his knowledge of the plant. "Really? Acontuim? What does it do? What are the effects of its poisons? Where does it usually grow? Does it have any medical properties? Wait, let me get my field journal." Without waiting for a reply, Serina rushed off to find her field journal. A moment later, she was back with a thick leather bound book in hand. Flipping to a blank page, she wrote 'Acontium' across the top, then looked at Atticus expectantly.

He blinked, slightly taken back from the zealous response. Atticus expected a different reaction. He snickered, shaking his head; Serina was more better than he thought. "My, aren't you an eager one?" He jested. The traveler made himself comfortable by setting one of his knees up as he propped it on the pad, his hand lifting his chin. "Like I said before, it's poisonous. It is intentionally used for killing beasts like wolves," Atticus then added an unecessary comment, "Or perhaps, as a weapon against humans," He immediately brushed it away, shrugging, "It is said to be used for medical use; but only in small doses. Other than that, it's unsafe," Atticus licked the bottom of his lips and pursed his dry lips. Atticus didn't know much about the plant, as he took no interest in things that could possibly kill him. But Atticus have used it before, and he won't tell for what reasons. "At the spot you found it beyond the bushes; is where it thrives. Are you satisfied now?"

Serina sat cross legged in the grass next to Atticus, with her field journal in her lap. Charcoal in hand, she studiously copied down every word the man said, and as soon as he had finished, she launched another salvo of questions. "What are the signs of Aconitum poisoning? Coughing up blood? Shortness of breath? Is it symptomless? What are its medical uses?" she paused for a moment to take breath and was about to add on more questions when she processed his last inquery. "Oh, sorry, I didn't hear that last part at first. I, I, uh, get a little carried away sometimes." Serina blushed slightly as she was saying the last part. "So, um, is there anything else you know about the plant?" she asked, her nervousness returning as she fiddled with the charcoal in her hand.

Likely finishing her apple by now, Rydia would place the core next to the rock she was sitting on within a nice patch of grass. With a foot stretching out gently, she kicks up her bow that lay infront of her and catches it with her now free hand. Holding it out infront of her, she'd seem to now be 'inspecting' her weapon. Her hands grip and glide against the craftwork of her bow, a few fingers strutting the bowline to see how tense it was against the nock and limbs of the rest of the bow. Curling her hand over the line, she pulls back on it as if an arrow was nocked and ready for flight, one eye closes as she 'aims' at nowhere in particular, pulling it back quite a bit before releasing it after a five-second period of holding. Grinning, she hums out affirmatively to herself and moves to place her bow back down.

Looking about a little, seeing that the two thieves and the clumsy herbalist were making conversation, she gives a faint smile as she moves a hand to brush against the side of her head, pushing hair out of her face and some past her ear. She looks around a little and her gaze follows around past Teran, then Aben and Ezekul. Her eyes then stop fully towards Jonathan, one knee sliding up on the rock as her elbow would rest on it horizontally, "So.. Captain, was it? Would you mind me asking what particular regiment you have hold over?"

Last edited:
Atticus fiddled with his worn bag, thinking that it was about time he should get a new one. His satchel was falling apart, multiple stitches found underneath the bottom of his belonging. "Who knows?" He said dryly, sniffling from the horrible scent that came from the woods, "...Why don't you try and find out?" The joke he made was terrible, he knew but yet; Atticus didn't care. Atticus was no saint, and his humor was just different from the others. Knowing that Serina might actually get horrified and possibly tell the leader about her suspicion, he laughed, "Kidding. When taken by root, or in whole, severe side effects will come; such as heavy breathing, heart problems, nauseous, etc. There is no cure, so far." Atticus made sure his last sentence made an impact, as it was a hint for Serina to be careful with the purple plant. Whoever takes hold of Acontium should not toy with it; one careless mistake and people will be attending your funeral.

Aben grumbles, before saying "There's no cure for a fool that get's poisoned in the first place." Ezekul frowns, before sighing and saying "Well, if it's possible to take in small doses, couldn't one eventually make themselves immune to it by easing themselves onto it? I read about a group of assassins who did that once to make sure that if they were forced to test their poisoned foods and drinks, they could without hesitation." Aben looks to Ezekul saying "Is that where you were? Off reading where you shouldn't be again?" Ezekul looks away a little shyly, scratching the back of his head before saying "No... They don't care when I'm there anyway." "One of these days Biltmore will take something from you that wont grow back if he finds out." "The guards don't tell him." Aben grumbles something about 'undisciplined fools' before remaining silent. Ezekul sighs, before going to climb up to the branch he was at before, sitting upon it now.

Serina ignored the joke, and wrote down the symptoms carefully. She wondered if she should get rid of the sample of Acontium she had in her saddle bag, then decided to keep it in the name of scholarly interest. She would just becareful to keep it away from her food and not let any potential mischief makers get their hands on it. When Atticus finished, Serina closed her journal and put it down in the grass next to her. Her stomach suddenly rumbled, reminding her that she still hadn't eaten yet. With a slight chuckled she turned back to her forgotten lunch, and took a bite out of her bread. She had noticed Atticus fiddling with his worn bag earlier, and now she hestitantly brought it up again. "Uh, do you need someone to fix that?" she asked, gesturing at the bag in question.

Do you need someone to fix that? Atticus paused his movement, then tilted his chin to meet eye contact with Serina. "It's beyond repair," He answered, implying that there was no need for it to get fixed. "I had this bag for years now; it's about time that I get a new one," Atticus watched the young teen work his way up to the branch, expecting him to fall. But he didn't, which was quite impressive; the tree was old and it could fall any minute now. Bored, Atticus gazed up at the sky, counting how many clouds there were. Part of the tree structure blocked his view, but he easily fixed the issue by looking behind it. "Unless.." He said all the sudden, restructing the dead conversation, "You want to give it a try and fix it?" Atticus ducked his head down to remove the strap off from his chest.

It's beyone repair. Serina shrugged at the answer and went back to eating her lunch. She looked around at the other members of the group, and found Ezekul climbing up a tree. Serina had never climbed trees before, she was not fond of heights, but she wondered as to what one could see from so high up. She started when Atticus spoke up again. "Oh, um sure, I can try." From what Serina could see of the bag, it would probably need a new bottom. She had a square of leather and some twine in her pack, for just this occasion, and she liked to mend things. It provided her hands with something to do while her mind was occupied. "Let me take a look."

Ezekul would continue sitting on the branch for a minute, before finally deciding to get up, going off to climb up the tree further, situating himself much higher up, in a split between tree's two halves near the top, keeping some sort of casual watch, but not really getting anything done, more of just wasting time until they set off again, not finding anything too interesting from the top of the tree yet. Aben would be about finished with his rations, adjusting his pack and other things to try and get comfortable against the tree, testing how much he can bend his knee absentmindedly, grimacing gently as he pushes it too far occasionally. He'd eventually push against his hammer to try and get himself upwards, using it to crutch himself up for a moment, before setting off towards his horse, without a word, checking it's various equipments as well, trying to get back into his old solidering habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.