Overthrowing the Courts (IC Group RP, OPEN)

"Eugh, lullaby's." He grimaced with disdain-- those were for children and babies. "Huh? Why aren't you home with 'em now? You lost? Kicked out?" He knew little of abandonment-- he'd never been kicked from anywhere because he'd never started anywhere. But he didn't think elves were very solitary, either. So to find a lone elf in his forest was... pretty weird.

"Ey, horse. Stop munching on that grass, you're hurting it. Probably." And trampling it beneath its heavy hooves, but he doubted he'd be the one moving the horse anyway. Only forest animals listened to him, not foreign elf animals.

"Sorry about that, I'm not one for crowds. I love them, and would die for them, if the need arises." She hopped down some rough looking stairs and folded herself through a short doorway. Staying just inside the door she added, "They need an explanation for your presence. I owed them that, and you. You saved me, I owed it to you to guarantee your safety."

She turned her back to Muna once again, and moved to a simple water pump. She pressed down several times filling a large tub. "I really need to soak." She said plainly. "I'm sure you probably do too. This one is for you. When I'm done, I'll meet you back in the commons, all paths lead there eventually."

She turned and left the room, moving across to another doorway, and repeating the process of filling the tub. She lowered herself into the cool water and felt it soak into her skin. She needed to eat, but she was too tired, and after she had soaked a good amount of time, and absorbed as much of the water as she could, she stepped out of the water, and dressed. She pulled the stopper from the bottom of the basin, and watched as the water slowly returned to the land. It would be absorbed by a nearby tree, encouraging its growth.

She shook the water out of her dark hair, and made her way back to the commons. It was late enough in the day that the ancients should be telling their stories of glory and riches. She grimaced at the thought, but knew it made them happy to see her. Maeve would make an appearance, and then after talking to Muna, would head to her own space to sleep.
Muna's heart leaped at the tub of water. So far, this place wasn't so bad. She had always wondered what it would be like to have family. If she had to guess, Lithy was the closest thing to it, as she was Muna's mentor and friend.

Muna did not feel the need to lose her current form as she slid into the water. She allowed her pores to open and she absorbed the water easily. In and out, in and out... it was much like waves rocking a ship. Even with the commotion outside, she found it much easier to relaxed knowing that there was nobody searching for her here. This was the first moment in over 24 hours that she could have a decent cleanse. Drawing a breath in, she thought about the heartbreak and panic of this morning, the disappointment of meeting an Unseelie, the gratitude that she was shown for saving that siren. Everything good, she kept - Everything negative, she used her energy to push out of her body through her spirit and into the pure water.

After she was sure that she was back to her full strength and charm, she emptied her tub, replaced her clothing and headed for the commons.

Maeve was carefully stringing a bow, when she noticed the Nixie come into the commons. She finished her task and waved her over, just as the evening meal was being passed. "All meals are communal." She said, in way of explanation.

She had just reached for the bowl being handed to her when the ground rumbled ominously. "Oh, gods, what a perfect end to a perfect day." She muttered under her breath. Standing she raised her arms above her head. "First warning, start gathering. We'll need to be on the ground when the shift happens."

The commotion was instantaneous. Fae of all shapes and sizes hustled to and fro, gathering the their personal things and setting about their assigned tasks. Maeve watched sullenly for a few seconds before turning to Muna, "The land is about to shift. It doesn't happen inside the courts, but out here, it's pretty common. Try to stick close."

Maeve carefully made her way to the food stores. Winter would be harsh, and long if the war played out the way the oracles saw it, and they'd need all they had stocked up, if they were to make it.

She dodged several panicked mothers crying for lost children, offering them only a sad look of consolation. Making it to the storehouse, she was pleased to see that others had already set up a system for removing the goods.

The ground shook again, this time hard enough to knock half of the fae off their feet. Maeve braced herself against the wall, and set out to help off load their food.

She didn't answer his question right away, but had to think about it a little more before answering him.
"Just some problems that came up and I had to leave. I'm not going to dive in to deeply into it." She started walking farther into the woods with Malek right beside her. She wasn't sure if Ruarc was going to follow, but he was more than welcome to.
The area felt a bit off, but she wasn't sure if it was just the atmosphere, or just her. She has never been around someone in a very long time, and she was not used to it.
Malek nickered at whatever was pleasing him, and she wasn't sure. She found it funny that a Gancanagh was attempting to talk to the horse.

Maeve was carefully stringing a bow, when she noticed the Nixie come into the commons. She finished her task and waved her over, just as the evening meal was being passed. "All meals are communal." She said, in way of explanation.

She had just reached for the bowl being handed to her when the ground rumbled ominously. "Oh, gods, what a perfect end to a perfect day." She muttered under her breath. Standing she raised her arms above her head. "First warning, start gathering. We'll need to be on the ground when the shift happens."

The commotion was instantaneous. Fae of all shapes and sizes hustled to and fro, gathering the their personal things and setting about their assigned tasks. Maeve watched sullenly for a few seconds before turning to Muna, "The land is about to shift. It doesn't happen inside the courts, but out here, it's pretty common. Try to stick close."

Maeve carefully made her way to the food stores. Winter would be harsh, and long if the war played out the way the oracles saw it, and they'd need all they had stocked up, if they were to make it.

She dodged several panicked mothers crying for lost children, offering them only a sad look of consolation. Making it to the storehouse, she was pleased to see that others had already set up a system for removing the goods.

The ground shook again, this time hard enough to knock half of the fae off their feet. Maeve braced herself against the wall, and set out to help off load their food.
Muna lost her balance and grabbed onto the wall for support. "What the fuck is a shift?" She ran after Maeve, trying to stay close. "How often does this happen?"

Muna hurried and started grabbing all of the supplies that she could, desperate to help and get this over with. We have to be on the ground before the shift? What does that even mean? She honestly had no idea what to do, everyone was running around so fast and everything was so chaotic that Muna didn't have time to form any more thoughts. She followed Maeve's lead.

Reactions: Turtle of the Tired
Maeve loaded the last of their food stores onto a rudimentary pulley system they had constructed. After the food was all moved to the relative safety of the ground she turned her attention to the other inhabitants. Looking at Muna she said, "Get to the ground, I'll be right behind you!" She didn't pause to make sure the Nixie followed her instruction

The ground moved again, the planks of their treetop town cracking under the pressure.

Most everybody was prepared for such an event, but still there were a few stragglers waiting for the last moments before fleeing. Maeve moved through the wooden walkways, hopping across the spots where the boards had already plummeted to the forest floor. She checked every hidey hole, and home, before running towards an exit herself.

The trees swayed, moving under her feet. Oh hell. Why today? What next?

She tumbled, tucking her body and rolling smoothly to the edge of the walkway. The ladder was gone, but a rope still held firmly to a thick branch. Maeve, leaped for it. Grabbing a hold of it tightly and swinging away from the tree houses. She leaped as the ground lurched beneath her once again, landing hard on the ground.

Groaning she pushed herself up, and made her way to the rest of the community. Today is going to kill me before it's over.

"Whatever you say, elf," he snorted, glaring blankly at the horse she rode. "Might have been able to help you if I knew where you were going, but as far as I know... you're just going in circles. Have fun with getting lost." Because, as far as he knew, he was the only one with a fully map of the entire forest inside his head, and he rarely let anyone see it-- in the metaphorical sense.

Ruarc looked at the elf with a mixture of intrigue and amusement. Here, an elf, in his forest. He didn't much care for them really, but still. They were so solitary that it was surprising each time one showed up.

Slightly irritated with the Gancanagh who assumes she doesn't know where she is going. Elves know a lot more about the forest than any other creature for they live among the forests and sing songs for them to grow. She only had time to make a face at him in irritation, unless her senses were prickled. Something was happening and she wasn't sure what it was. She looked at Malek who has also sensed. It felt like something was shifting. She grabbed her blade and unsheathed it ready for an attack, in case there was one. The critters of he forest ran around screaming a warning to her that something is shifting; she waited patiently for i

Ruarc took a moment to listen: the forest rarely spoke to him while others around, rarely let him in on those little secrets when he was already busy talking. "Feel that...?" He recognized it, barely. The trees were confused and he animals panicked, but Ruarc remained otherwise unaffected by the sudden change in atmosphere. He was, however, confused.

"Elf, you have a name for these, don't you? I know what this," he gestured to the whole forest with a vague wave of his arms, "is, but I haven't a name for it." He grimaced and glanced briefly into the foliage. "Somethings different. Always is..."

Maeve loaded the last of their food stores onto a rudimentary pulley system they had constructed. After the food was all moved to the relative safety of the ground she turned her attention to the other inhabitants. Looking at Muna she said, "Get to the ground, I'll be right behind you!" She didn't pause to make sure the Nixie followed her instruction

The ground moved again, the planks of their treetop town cracking under the pressure.

Most everybody was prepared for such an event, but still there were a few stragglers waiting for the last moments before fleeing. Maeve moved through the wooden walkways, hopping across the spots where the boards had already plummeted to the forest floor. She checked every hidey hole, and home, before running towards an exit herself.

The trees swayed, moving under her feet. Oh hell. Why today? What next?

She tumbled, tucking her body and rolling smoothly to the edge of the walkway. The ladder was gone, but a rope still held firmly to a thick branch. Maeve, leaped for it. Grabbing a hold of it tightly and swinging away from the tree houses. She leaped as the ground lurched beneath her once again, landing hard on the ground.

Groaning she pushed herself up, and made her way to the rest of the community. Today is going to kill me before it's over.
Muna could barely hear Maeve as she gestured for her to go along without her. She turned suddenly, looking at all sorts of fae running to reach the ground. She ran in that general direction, not entirely sure where the ladder was. She kept running, looking backwards every now and then to see if the siren was on her way - she didn't see her. She doubled back, hoping to find her when she heard a particularly loud cry. Turning her head to listen more clearly, she jogged toward the sound. Muna nearly tripped over a child changeling, his legs trapped between a cracked branch and the walkway. Pulling up hard, she freed the child but was afraid he could not run. Scooping the little changeling into her arms, she made a run for the ladder.

One-handed, she climbed down the swaying ladder, trying desperately to get the child to safety. A violent lurch jolted the rope ladder, snapping it towards the top. Muna held the changeling tight and braced for an impact. To her surprise, they landed in a rather bushy patch on the ground. Quickly pulling a strand of her own hair and gathering some of the soil, she used some of her energy to repair the child's broken leg. Once the paste had been applied, she found an adult rogue and handed her the child. "He should be able to walk soon, don't let him out of your sight."

Muna had no idea where Maeve had disappeared to. The ladder was broken, the wooden walkway disintegrated around her. She feared the worst for the siren she saved. With milder trembles affecting the ground, she was able to continue her search, hoping her new companion was somewhere close.

Maeve strolled the trembling ground, watching as patches of grass slowly molded themselves into the nasty bogs. Why swamps? It could have become a frozen tundra and still have been better than a swamp Maeve grumbled at the smell of the stagnant water and the feeling of the mud under her boots sucking into the ground.

She looked around the grouping of fae and spotted some of the elders. Walking over to them she checked to see if they had everything in control. When they said they did she left them to find the Nixie. She spotted her and approached her.

"The land is temperamental." She said with a shrug. "The trembles are the only notice we get when it decides to change its face. I would say you get used to it, but you don't." She paused appraising Muna with a harsh glance. "I need to go on a supply run, and do some scouting around the Unseelie Court, you could be an asset, would you like to accompany me?"

Maeve shifted awkwardly, she normally did not invite anybody to go with her, but the Nixie had proven useful several times over already.

The atmosphere and area were changing around her as she stood there. She didn't really respond to Ruarc right away, becuase she was focused on the changes. It looked like a shift of something, but she wasn't sure. The grass became different and the land started to swarm with bugs, and lizards. It was becoming a swamp; oh, how she hated swamps, and she wasn't sure how she got into this. Growling, slightly, she looked around her and then under her. She was in the swamp and her feet and pants were wet now. "What in the world? I think it's a shift." She looked to see if Ruarc was still there

Maeve strolled the trembling ground, watching as patches of grass slowly molded themselves into the nasty bogs. Why swamps? It could have become a frozen tundra and still have been better than a swamp Maeve grumbled at the smell of the stagnant water and the feeling of the mud under her boots sucking into the ground.

She looked around the grouping of fae and spotted some of the elders. Walking over to them she checked to see if they had everything in control. When they said they did she left them to find the Nixie. She spotted her and approached her.

"The land is temperamental." She said with a shrug. "The trembles are the only notice we get when it decides to change its face. I would say you get used to it, but you don't." She paused appraising Muna with a harsh glance. "I need to go on a supply run, and do some scouting around the Unseelie Court, you could be an asset, would you like to accompany me?"

Maeve shifted awkwardly, she normally did not invite anybody to go with her, but the Nixie had proven useful several times over already.
Muna looked around as the rogues gathered together once again. "Yeah, I'll come with you. I won't be of much more help here."

With that, Maeve gave a curt nod and started walking through the forest. Muna tried to keep up as best as she could - the trees and land were still trembling beneath their feet periodically causing her to stumble. Maeve was silent for the journey, clearly on a mission. Muna was thankful for the quiet, grateful for the moon above their heads lighting the path before them through the trees. She had an feeling their night was not over yet as they continued, breathing and moving one foot ahead of the other.

Maeve would stop and crouch every now and then, as if hunting. Muna had no idea why she was asked to come along, she didn't have any significant talents aside from healing. She felt a sudden change in the energy of the forest - they were coming close to Unseelie territory. The hairs on the back of her neck stood at attention - ignoring her usual warning signs, she continued to follow her companion.

"Hell's a shift, elf?" This, obviously, but he hadn't heard of the term itself. He decided that he didn't like, because swamps were horrible and he preferred to remain dry and clean. "I hate swamps..." There went his boots, once polished and now soaked with swamp water and whatever else oozed around in the mirky depths. At least his flute remained relatively untouched by it.

"Then let's leave. Or, I'm leaving. Not staying in a swamp."

"It's where things shift over. Change like this: forest to a swamp. It shifted. Otherwise, I don't know." She looked around and Malek, her horse, stomped and neighed. They were not alone and she didn't need plant life to tell her. "We're not alone in this swamp, Ruarc. There are others around." She quietly stood there and tried to make out who it was. She decided she will have a look around instead of standing like a statue or like an idiot. She quietly walked through the muddy swamp with her hand hovering close to her blade; Malek followed her still snorting and swishing his tail. The water sloshed around her, and the frogs stopped croaking as she approached them.
She saw two figures, and one was slightly familiar but the other she had no idea who it was. She hid behind a tree that was near her and waited.

Maeve wasn't overly fond of visiting the Courts, either one. Too much power, crammed in too small of a space. The air was electric. She was a firm believer that the fae were meant to live on the land, adapting as it's mood changed, challenging themselves to survive. Instead, the Courts had imposed strong rule, dictating the feel of the land and everything. The fae here challenged each other to die. Too many fae, in such a confined space, even the air was hostile.

She smelled the Unseelie Court before she saw it, and scowled at the foul scent it boasted. Blood, dirt, muck and various other foul things littered the air and trespassed into her nose. She motioned for Muna to move next to her and looked at the Nixie with a very serious expression. "Do not help. The dark fae wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire." She paused for effect. "You cannot save everybody, and this is a good place to figure that out. We need to blend in if we want to make it back."

Maeve stepped further into the slums beyond the court, where the troop often tried and failed to make lives for themselves. She ignored every fae that she passed, and even made an effort to slam into a ruthless looking redcap. "Watch where you're going, fool." She told him, ice dripping off of her words with the threat. He growled and took a step towards her as if he had every intention of taking a bite out of her. Maeve grinned and slid a hidden knife out of her sleeve. "Bring it on." She said, spinning the knife idly through nimble fingers.

The redcap glanced around and noticed the rest of his group were devouring a phooka nearby before casting her one more glance and hurrying away. Visibly Maeve relaxed, hoping others had seen the interaction and would leave them to their business for the rest of the trip. She looked at the Nixie and nodded before asking, "Is there anything you think we'll need? I'm already planning on a few things to help deal with the swamp, but if you're going to stick around you're probably going to need some supplies of your own."

"Oh, I know that. I'm not stupid. They're loud, running around and all. Other than the two I ran into earlier." He grimaced and searched for higher ground, away from the mirky swamp water. "Rogues always cause trouble, always. It's like they're destined to make life difficult..." They didn't bother him often, but they could still get on his nerves from time to time. His own allegiance to the Unseelie was precarious at best and thus he'd found himself alone most of his days. Not that he minded-- he enjoyed his alone time and the occasional company of animals.

Ruarc spat into the water, "Pugh. Had to be swamp," he murmurs, blending in to the background as was his most developed talent. "We should go. Or, you should. I should. Whatever."