Overtaken

Will knew she was right. There were people they needed to get to safety. Quickly, he wiped a little tear that had formed. The bread barely caught his eye, as they went through the opening. When times are this bad, people hold onto anything they can.

He then spotted Vivianne fidgeting with her gear.

"What is the matter?"

"I-I can't seem to figure out what I did with my sword, as terrible as that sounds... I'm worried that I may have left it in the creature back there." She had right to be distracted back then, but she was still mentally kicking herself for that error. She was panicking, but it was because she had been trying to hard to not break down and cry. This was not the time. When they were safe....

She shook her head. "I want to know how you are keeping your cool so well Will. I wish I could as well."

He tried to dodge her questions, by looking away. Only talking about his figurative armor would actually break it. This day was hard for everyone, including those losing their weapons.

"You still possess you bow, and that will certainly be helpful. I think we should keep moving and get your another sword. Now let us leave this place." he declared.

Will beckoned her to go through second to last.

Vivianne nodded and allowed all to pass by them, giving a reassuring look to her parents. At least they are safe. That was her main importance. She looked breifly behind her and could not help but wonder who would attack their peaceful city. What would they gain from it? This would not have any significance but declare some sort of war. But they weren't even sure of who started the attack. Who is their enemy? There was nothing she could do but fight. Unfortunately, it appears that not all with them can battle, so they'll have to make sure most of their people are hiding in a safe place and then go off.

When she snapped back into reality, she realized it was her turn to go and she slowly walked as her ankle caused her to lightly limp.

Will could tell she was beginning to have questions too. This was a good thing. People who travel together should have active minds, he thought. Though admittedly, this subject wasn't one that people should think about. People were slaughtered for just choosing to live somewhere. The tragedy's spirit damage could actually be personified with Vivianne's limp. It was on one good leg.

Slowly, he clasped the cover over the entrance. They needed to cover their tracks. With them all safe into the sewers, Will slipped back to the front. Of course the smell helped everyone's urgency to move.

"Everyone, you are all doing great so far. Now, we must make our way out of the city. This sewer is very linear, so don't worry about getting lost. Keep it together and we will be out soon."

With that he turned to grab an already lit torch. Carefully, he made his way down the decline towards safety.

Vivianne now knew her parents were definitely safe. So she wanted to make sure they got to a safe place with everyone else. But she had a feeling that she could not just sit aside and let this keep happening. She made sure to hang back in the back to make sure everyone made it through. Once they got out and to safety, she might try to come back to figure out what all is going on. Them being randomly attacked like this was not right. There must be something she doesn't know.

Will was busy leading everyone, but then again, she wouldn't want to drag him back into this if he could get to safety. And he'd probably be the type to go just if she was going to go to make sure she will be okay.....

"Where is this sewer going to lead us?" she asked aloud.

"To freedom and safety. More specifically, it will lead us under the mountains and then out onto the Red Port. Then, we shall take the next boat to the elven island of Tyilcsla. You all can be safe there." he declared.

Will then began to think of what he would do afterwards. These invaders had to pay. No one destroys and pillages that cold heartily and gets away with it. Someone was going to answer for such treachery. It was going to start with the oaf trying to scorch him in the alley. Then it would end with the liberation and rebuilding of every home they burnt down. Though, he would certainly not be able to do it alone.

Soon enough, the environment had switched from sewer to a strict mountain pass. More torches were made by the group. It must have been midday by then. They had be traveling for almost a whole day. Will stopped in a cave clearing. He looked around for any danger. There didn't seem to be any.

"My people, we have found our resting place. By tomorrow night, we shall be on a boat to Tylicsla." he echoed.

The group began to cheer.

Vivianne thought about it and realized that from here on out, her parents are probably safe. There is no need to have to worry about them. But if she continues with them, it will take even longer to get back and she would be wasting time. She wanted to act now and figure out what happened and why. She stood behind the group. Her ankle was not feeling as bad, and she was pretty sure she could continue on it. Maybe she could slip away and let the others go on without her. But, would that be unfair to Will who had helped her?

She waited for a time when he wasn't surrounded by too many others and prepared to talk to him. "When you have a chance," she whispered, "I would like to talk to you."

The conversation Will was having had just ended, when she walked up to him. He tilted his head at her. What could this talk be about? Was there a problem with her or her parents? Nah, they were fine. This is probably just a check up on the progress.

"I can talk now, if need be. C'mon." he says nodding.

His fingertips lightly pressed into her shoulder blade, as he beckoned her to a secluded spot. The people were tended to themselves, trying to figure out the situation. In terms of outlook, it was neutral at best. There homes were pillaged right in front of them. He sighed before turning to Vivi.

"What is it? How is your leg?" he whispered

Vivianne nodded, her mind focused on how to say what she needed to say. "It-it is fine. It is livable. By walking on it, I do believe I have toughened it up some. But that isn't what I wanted to talk to you about." She looked around to make sure no one else was listening to their conversation. "I feel terrible for saying this... but it's something I need to do."

She took a deep breath and made point to not look at her parents. "I think everyone will be safe from here on out. In fact, I have most faith they will be fine." She lightly bit her lip trying to figure out how to say what she's thinking without making herself sound foolish. "I am going back." she said firmly. "I am going back to pick up the trail while it is still hot. I want to know why we were targeted and who is behind it. But if I wait to go to where the group is heading and then go back, we may lose a good amount of information. And I cannot let the bastard who did this to us get away with it." She blushed at the curse word, but she found it fitting. "I'm not staying with everyone. I am heading back now."

She has no experience in anything like this. This was not normally something she would do. But she had this feeling that this was the right thing to do. There needed to be justice for them, and maybe she was the one who was supposed to seek it.

A feeling of sadness crept up inside him. He didn't really know what to say, at first. On one hand, he could easily follow her back. On the other hand, these people needed their help. Either way, he wanted Vivi to be with him. She was the only person he could trust right now. Not to sound weak, but right now he needed her around.

"I understand your desire for answers, for I have the same want. However, these people can not defend themselves well enough to survive out here. I think if you stayed just until the docks..." he whispered

Stepping closer, his finger tips gently ran down her arm. He wanted her to know that she was still a key ingredient to success.

"I would be able to leave them safely on the boat. We could then find our answers. For now I--we need you."

Vivianne lightly bit her lip as her resolve weakened. His plea got to her, and she fought off the shivers from his touch. She had second thoughts. It would be better if there was someone with her during this journey. Two is always better than one... and he is more knowledgeable than she, it would be much to their advantage. With a quick sigh, she accepted. "Okay," she whispered, looking up at him. "I-I'll wait. But just until they're all on the boat." She pushed some hair behind her ear as a nervous habit and took a slight step back. "But you promise you'll come with me if I wait, right?"

Will let his fingers linger on her palm, a little bit, before falling to his sides. A blush arose in the side of the shining fire. Vivi's vulnerability had him almost wrapped around her fingers, whether she knew it or not.

"I will stay, as long as you will have me. There is no doubt about that. Was there anything else you needed to talk about?" he asked

Vivianne smiled. "Good to hear." She finally looked over to her parents. At least she'd know they were safe and would not have to worry. "No, there wasn't anything else. That was the only thing I was really thinking about." She sighed then looked back to Will. "Thank you." She nodded and slowly turned around to see if there was anyone who needed her help. Her ankle was doing much better. Slight pang, but she was pretty sure it would be gone in the morning.

He smiled at her leave. Catching himself staring, he fidgeted. It was a second before turning to the darkness. Will had the start of a crush forming. It wasn't serious yet, but his stomach had a little butterfly in it.

The night went on rather quickly. Everyone cooked and relaxed for the night. It was a pleasant surprise compared to what had happened. Will catch himself looking over at Vivi, a couple of times. The sleep was hard to find, for him. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

Vivianne had just gone with the flow for the night, for her mind had been elsewhere. Her mind wanted to jump to millions of different directions, so she decided to focus on none. Her parents had fretted over her and gave her some food that they had brought, and she just smiled as she accepted them. When the day finally caught up with her body, she let her eyes rest only to find herself up randomly during the night while everyone was asleep. She wasn't sure what feeling she was experiencing. It wasn't quite excitement, for she wasn't overjoyed at the journey that lies in front of her and will, but no other word seemed to fit as well.

She ended up getting up from time to time, just to move around to try to tire herself out more so she can rest. From what she could tell, they were going to need it. She resisted the urge to see if Will was having the same problem, and started brushing out her hair with her fingers, and finally let her mind wander. Where it wandered, she doesn't know, but at least she felt at ease.

He couldn't help but notice she could not sleep either. Was she still worried about the group? Sleep was being to evasive to even make him want to close his eyes. Getting up, Will went over and sat next to Vivi. Maybe together they could find some comfort and catch some shut eye. The fires had began to loose their light. Everyone else was starting to sleep and/or snore. There was just enough visibility to see what is in front of you.

"Vivi...can't sleep either?" Will whispered

Vivianne looked over at Will, smiling. "Yeah. I can't. My mind is restless I guess. Just thinking, without having a thought," she whispered back. "As if that makes any sense." She was still playing with her hair, not sure of what else to do. "Why can't you sleep?" She asked as she stopped playing with her hair and put one hand on his shoulder. "Is everything okay?"

She couldn't help but wonder if the same thing was bothering him. Was he thinking about what may lie ahead of them?

Will hoped she didn't see it but her hand made him blush terribly. Goosebumps formed on his skin. Though she was right that something may have been off. It was a couple of things actually. One being that the army marched onto his home. Literally, because he lived just outside the city. That army was standing where his home use to be. With their attitude towards townsfolk...it was if they were dead when they showed up. Second being that he killed for the first time today. Thirdly....being the fact that Vivanne's touch made him so shy that he couldn't even speak.

"Not at the moment...but I think we all have our problems." he whispers

Trying to adjust himself, he ended up getting closer then intended. Their faces were both were now maybe 10in away, at the most. The light had just the right amount a blue hue that Will instantly had intimate thoughts. However, the timing may have been wrong. Vivi probably would smite him if she could for it. The male mind can be misleading to the heart.

"I am happy you choose to stay."

It was now Vivianne's turn to blush as she noticed the distance between them. She slightly jumped back her hand coming back to her. "Ah, um, yes. As am I. T-thanks Will," she whispered, her eyes still on him. "The journey is not good to do alone. Es-especially one like this. We both need this," she said as she started to fidget with her hair again as she finally diverted her eyes.

"Anyway, we should probably figure out what we should do... or sleep and get some rest to prepare." Vivianne became shy once more and wasn't sure what to do at this point. She had never been in any sort of situation like this. She finally gathered courage to look back at Will. "What do you think we should do"