Overdue Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I can take care of that," Jake sighed, "and didn't you---" Remembering the werewolf-detail he realized just the diet Rocky was one. "Oh, right... There's a steak in the fridge. Meant for barberque this weekend but..." He'd rather have her eat the meat he was going to marinate than having her rave around hungry, that was for sure.

Rocky grinned "You're the best!" And bounced over to the kitchen opening the fridge looking around for the steak. It had been a few days since she had properly eaten. Werewolves could eat human food but it usually didn't sit well, it was like feeding a dog potato chips, probably wasn't a good idea. Pulling out the steak she rooted around for a fork and knife.

After putting the towel where it belonged Jake sat down on one of the chairs in the living room. Sighing softly he sank deep into his thoughts, trying to make sense of the whole deal. His childhood friend, alive, that's good. Her wanting revenge, not so good. Her acting like nothing had changed, odd, but he could live with that. Her being a werewolf who was eating the steak he meant to bring to a barberque with the rest of the police force this weekend? That had to be a nightmare, or a weird dream, a prank or anything really. Stuff like that was just fairy tales and horror stories, they had to be.

Rocky sat down next to him and opened the package of steak and began to dig in. It tasted amazing. "This is really good." she mumbled through a mouthful of raw meat. She swallowed and looked over at Jake as she cut herself another piece "So what have you been doing with your life?" she asked curiously, and stuck another piece in her mouth.

"Hmm? Oh, nothing much. Gone to school, kept Xan out of trouble and insane stunts, joined the police academy and joined the force." Answering the question he absentmindedly summarized his life, skipping any details on his more personal life, finding them a bit irrelevant right now.

"You became a cop?" Rocky asked interested "Like with the gun and everything? That's pretty cool." she said taking another bite "A buddy of mine, Jason I just crashed on his couch for a bit, he's a techy-fix-it guy for a gang of werewolves in New York, tried to teach me how to shoot a shotgun, not that good at it though. Guns are just not my thing."

"So you're not trigger happy with them like you were with the water gun? That's a change." Jake noted wryly as his mind still was trying to wrap itself around the existence of werewolves. Just an hour before he didn't even believe they existed. "And yes, the gun, badge and uniform, the whole deal."

"Hey water guns and bullet guns are two completely different species!" she laughed "Well the cops I've met aren't as chill as you. I'm not gonna lie I've been in trouble with the law a bit, but when you basically have no identity you can't really get a legal job to make money." she shrugged.

"You can get your identity back by letting the officials know you're alive. There's this task force that deals with... Odd cases. Maybe if you talk with them then they could help you with everything." He wasn't sure how much they were capable of but they could at least help Rocky get a legal identity at least.

Rocky looked horrified for a second "Yeah I know those forces and they know me, like hell I'm going back to them," She turned a little bit and raised the hair covering the back of her neck, tattooed were the digits '213' "They kept me in a facility for two years before I tried to escape. They ran all these terrible experiments I still have nightmares about." she turned back to him letting her hair fall back "No fuckin' way am I going back there."

A cold chill went down his spine, that was the first time since their reunion that Rocky had showed something beyond anger and beyond her casual state. Real fear. Smiling in apologetically he rose, walked over to her and gently ruffled her hair like when they were kids. "I'm sorry, I won't suggest it again." The promise was gentle, but certain, it was a promise he would make sure to keep.

"Thank you." Rocky said quietly and returned to eating her steak, she was almost finished with it by this point, she had eaten pretty fast. She was excited to finally eat something. "Although I learned a lot about my body that way, I learned if you chop a finger off it grows back." she said taking another bite.

Jake grimaced at the mental imagery, it wasn't a pleasant one. "That's not the best way to learn..." Forcing himself to think about more practical matters he switched the subject. "Do you want the couch or the bed?" As he looked up he finally noticed that Rocky was using normal cutlery and chuckled. "And here I thought you didn't bother with cutlery anymore."

"I'm cool with the couch, it's you place." she said and then pouted "Hey I haven't completely gone savage." she sudden imagined herself trying to hunt a dear with a fork and knife and started to burst out laughing "Sorry, just got a funny image in my head." she chuckled and she finished off the steak. Getting up she went back to the kitchen and put her fork and knife in the sink, throwing the wrapping the meat came in away.

He smiled lightly in amusement. "And what kind of mental image was that?" While he had a spare room it was filled with things he had yet to go through and things left in his care. If the need came then he would clean it out, it's not like he housed people on a regular basis.

"I was imagining what it would be like to try taking down a deer with a fork and knife." Rocky giggled and came back into the living room, sitting down on the couch. "Hey do you think we could visit Jax's and my parents' graves tomorrow? I think I've overdue for a visit."

"Rocky..." He paused as the memory of the scene had hit him, the funeral and the grave. "Jax..." He hesitated, not sure how to tell her. Swallowing the lump in his throat he forced himself to continue. "They never found Jax's body, she wasn't there, at the scene." He wasn't sure how she would react, he just braced himself for the worst.

Rocky paled, her mouth falling open slightly and she shook her head "No, no that's not right, she was dead, her skull was cracked open. She couldn't have survived that and walk away." she started to breath heavily, eyes widening "That's not funny Jake, that isn't true!" she said angrily "That can't be true!"

His expression turned grim, "Jax wasn't there, I saw it myself and I still remember clearly that neither you nor Jax was there. You know I wouldn't joke about something like this." He wouldn't have wanted to either, there was just some things you didn't joke about.

"It just can't be true." Rocky whispered her eyes starting to sting with tears. "It just can't be." she said and rubber her eyes and face. "So you're telling me she could still be alive?" Rocky asked weakly. She felt like she was going to be sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.