Overcoming Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
The very last thing Lacey ever expected to happen was to fall over because Avery fainted. Everything was fine until about half way through, the blonde making them hurry along, but then Avery let go of her arm, and suddenly they were going down, Lacey falling right on her ass beside Avery's shivering body. Her eyes widened and Lacey fumbled to get their legs unbound, tossing the cloth aside as she leaned over the other girl, shaking her shoulder, and paling when she noticed the blood trailing from her fingers and dripping to the floor. "Avery? Coach, coach, she needs help!" Lacey exclaimed frantically, leaning down against her face to assure she was still breathing. Whispers were starting up around them as other students stopped, noticing the ordeal on the floor in the middle of the gym, and Lacey lifted her sleeve to see the opened cuts. Her own blood ran cold as crimson colored her fingers, glancing up to see the coach running their way, blowing the whistle and shouting for someone to call 911.

The coach leaned down, checking the girl's pulse, keeping a cool head like the man was supposed to. "She's alive, just fainted, it seems." He muttered in his gruff voice. A student shouted that an ambulance was on the way, holding their cell phone to their ear from which they called. Lacey looked at the older man nervously, not moving from her place beside Avery, feeling that it just wouldn't be fair to leave her alone like this, to ride in the ambulance all by herself. It might not have seemed like it, but Lacey did have a heart. "I'll go with her and tell the paramedics what happened," Lacey offered as the coach took his jacket off with a quick nod, wrapping it hastily around Avery's arm to stop the bleeding of her open gashes.

Avery hadn't exactly planned her faint, either. She had thought that she was strong enough to withstand that she had P.E even after starving for two days, but she had been wrong. Her body wouldn't be able to handle it, and she had probably known from the start. But she didn't want to show anyone her weakness, and now everyone could see it as she lied there on the floor, weak and in her own blood. When Lacey scrambled over to her, the touches felt as if she was numb and her voice seemed so distant, so far away as if it came from another world. She heard Lacey call for the coach... or so she thought. Maybe she was saying something else. Avery's mind couldn't really tell things apart from each other any longer, and she felt weaker and colder than she had ever before. Silence wrapped around her as she curled up into a ball, not wanting to show anyone her arm, even if she knew that she had to. But she was too weak and Lacey managed to pull her sleeve up to see the wounds that she had inflicted on herself. Even in her pitiful state she felt shame over it.

Avery also felt something on her wrist, and then her neck, but she couldn't tell what it was. She thought forward to the fact that it must be someone taking her pulse, but she didn't get farther than that. She heard a new voice shouting, and wondered what was going on. It was as if she was in a completely gone world, a world that had nothing to do with what was happening. Her mind was escaping from her situation, denying the fact that she was dangerous to herself. She didn't want to get locked up in some odd place just because she had been careless enough to go to P.E. that one time. When Lacey was about to get her into the ambulance, she started crying. The tears that couldn't escape when she was conscious now flowed from her eyes and her still normal hand reached up to grab Lacey's.

(Thank you for reminding me of this on the other thread! Sometimes I forget and just need a little nudge)

Lacey was surprised when a hand
clutched her own in the ambulance, but definitely didn't let go. The least she could do was be there for Avery after she'd insulted her earlier when she was clearly going through something very bad. She felt a little guilty, too, and felt she should make sure the other girl got out alright. A breathing mask was placed over Avery's face after she was placed on the gurney, and Lacey carefully wiped her tears away, shaky out of nerves of the whole situation. Once Avery was carted away to be checked out by a doctor and have her arm stitched properly in the hospital, Lacey was shooed away to the waiting room. The cheerleader nervously nibbled at her normally perfectly manicured nails while she waited; she had a bad habit of nail-biting when she was anxious, and this situation called for it.

Avery couldn't help herself from feeling like she was falling apart, not only in the physical sense. She just wanted something to hold onto, and the nearest thing happened to be Lacey's hand, and her hand was warm. She didn't even notice as the breathing mask was placed over her mouth, and she could barely feel or hear anything. She could faintly make out that she was being taken from the ambulance to somewhere else, but where that "somewhere" was situated, she did not know. She wondered what was going through Lacey's head, with her being so gentle to Avery all of a sudden. Did she perhaps feel guilty for insulting her? Avery hadn't minded it much, the problem had been her physical condition. She had pretended to be strong and ended up in such a pitiful state. She felt like she could die of shame. She had let someone see what it was like inside of her heart, what her pain inside was like, and now she was probably going to be made fun of. Hours passed, and when she finally woke up, her arm was patched up and bandaged and she was all alone in the hospital room.

Lacey had fallen asleep in the waiting room, and she wasn't awaken until a nurse noticed that Avery had finally come to. The blonde rubbed at her eyes sleepily, standing and collecting her bearings before she followed the nurse to Avery's room, telling the woman thank you before she slowly made her way into the room with a small wave in hello. "You scared the hell out of me earlier when you passed out, you know. Why didn't you just say you couldn't handle it?" She asked quietly, moving across the room to seat herself in the chair beside Avery's bed, pulling her legs comfortably up to her chest. Lacey seemed more relaxed, a good deal different than she was at school now that appearances didn't really matter. "I came with you to the hospital so you wouldn't be by yourself. How are you feeling?"

Avery had sat up after a little while, and constantly she had her eyes focused on her hands. She had been too cocky and acted strong, and it had backfired on her. She didn't know how to face such a thing, and even more how to forgive herself for it. Avery blinked as she heard the door open, looking up to see Lacey. She hadn't expected for anyone to be there. She wiped away her tears and looked at the ground. "I thought I could.... I thought I'd be fine, even with the two last days having been a blur for me... and I got too brave and ended up getting hurt... it's nothing." She said, never looking back at Lacey as she cradled her wounded arm as if to hide it. She didn't want for anyone to see how weak she was, even if it was Lacey, a person she remotely trusted, somehow. "I'm.... I'm fine, don't worry about me. You can leave if you'd like."

"It's not nothing." Lacey shot back, not shy about her opinion when she felt like sharing it. The cheer leader shook her head with an exasperated huff, reaching over to pluck a few tissues from the stand beside the bed before setting them on Avery's lap for her tears, whether she wanted them or not. "That's okay. I'll stay, my parents don't usually get home until late anyway, and then they'll probably just assume I'm asleep." Lacey shrugged, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear absentmindedly. "They didn't tell me when or if you can leave, so you'll have to ask. But, um...how did that happen? To your arm, I mean. I heard some talk that you could be admitted to the psych ward if it was self-inflicted..." Lacey pursed her lips, knowing she probably didn't want that to happen, so she felt it right to warn her so maybe she could pull together an alibi. "If you can come up with something to tell the doctors because you don't want to go, can you promise to call me or something if you need help? I just..don't want to see anybody suffer like you might be. And I'm sorry, about what I said. I didn't mean it." She was sincere this time around. Lacey was secretly very sensitive to self-harm, suicide, and the like; not because she personally dealt with it, but because her brother had.

"It is nothing, Lacey." Avery said without even hesitating. She didn't care what others thought, she'd rather hide it and feel pain all on her own so no one would have to deal with how she felt. She didn't want anyone to worry for her or pity her, and she really just wanted to tell Lacey to leave, but something stopped her from saying that simple word. "Fine... if that's what you really want, I guess I can't force you to leave this place... but I'm not exactly the most exciting person to talk to..." Avery ran a hand through her hair, briefly glancing at Lacey but then looking straight away again. "I know... I know that it would probably take me a while.. on top of the blood loss I haven't eaten for three days... and I know... I always have a lie right at hand... I'm never going in there, last time I was in there, I tried hanging myself in my room... I'm not going to such a place again..." Avery looked away with a sigh, knowing that it was all just hilariously silly. She should've just accepted the fact that she had been sick. "I'll.... I won't call you. You've already been involved enough, it would make me feel guilty to bother you more with my problems. And who cares if I'm suffering, and it's okay. Don't mind it, I didn't really get affected by it." Avery just wanted to stop her from being so kind, she wanted to push away the gentleness threatening to break her down.

Lacey wasn't brushing it off, she wasn't having any of that. "Avery, I wasn't asking. I'm telling you to call me if you need anything. It's not a burden, what will be a burden is me worrying whether you're okay or not because I haven't heard from you." She reached over and gave the girl's leg a gentle pat, her brown eyes shining with determination. Lacey might've lost someone to this type of thing, but she wasn't going to let another go. "Consider me a friend now. I mean, after we've been through this, I don't think we're strangers anymore." She shrugged her shoulders. When she was being more herself, she openly considered most people befriendable, but at school, around her friends, where she was heavily influenced? It was a different story. But maybe she'd break out of that.

Avery found herself covering her face as she listened to the words, she didn't want this. It felt like she was going to be suffocated by this way too large amount of kindness. "I'm always a burden... I've never been anything but a burden, I'm just an unwanted child, I shouldn't have been here in the first place..." She flinched when Lacey touched her leg and her eyes widened, tears falling from them as she sat there, burying her head between her arms as she lightly sobbed. "I don't... I don't want friends, I don't want anymore pain... I just want it all to go away, I want these feelings to go away..." She whispered as she tried to cover herself in order to disappear. She wanted to disappear, anywhere possible, just a place where no one could see her, a place where no one would care and she could submit to her self-hatred alone.

Lacey's expression softened as she looked at the other girl, watching her nearly fall apart. The blonde moved her chair closer to the other girl, scooting close, reaching over to pluck a tissue from the box and set a few on her lap. "I won't say anymore, I'm sorry for upsetting you. But I really think you should just give it a chance, or well, me." The girl have a shrug of her slender shoulders, glancing over at the window on the other side of the room. "Why don't you take a little nap? You're getting all worked up, and that's probably no good in your condition, so you should rest more."

Avery had a bitter taste in her mouth, something that she couldn't be away with and she didn't know what to do of herself. She didn't want to bother Lacey with her problems, and it made her chest tight. She gratefully took the tissue without much further ado, gently wiping her eyes with them as she nodded, never looking at Lacey directly. "I'll... I'll give it a try... but I don't know what you want to get by becoming my friend, the only thing you'll gain is hatred from those people that you call "friends". Are you prepared for that?" Avery sighed gently as she moved a lock of hair from her face. She said what she wanted to, regrettably. She didn't want to say it but ended up doing so. "I... only if you'll be here when I wake up again, otherwise then... I'm going to stay awake...."

Lacey remained quiet after the first question, her hands folding in her lap and her eyes going downcast. She didn't know if she was prepared for that, but she wasn't going to abandon Avery either, so she would deal with it when the time came. She'd have to think on it a little. The next thing came as a surprise, her eyes opening wide, and she nodded quickly, feeling like she was being a little more accepted by Avery. "I'll stay, it's fine. My parents get home late so I can just crash here for the night if it makes you a little more comfortable, they won't know. Let me just go see if the nurses will give me a blanket, okay?"

((You're forgetting the other rp xD ))

Avery nodded as she looked down slightly, feeling embarrassed over herwself. She didn't want to be a fool and now she was making herself look like an idiot, more or less. It was a bit strange that she was suddenly opening up, and she moved a lock of hair from her face as she sighed slightly, trying not to look at Lacey. "Well... okay, then. If you want to then it's fine." She muttered, trying to hide how happy she was feeling. A blush settled onto her cheeks as she tried not to show her embarrassment. She hated when something like this showed on her face. She didn't want to look like an idiot in front of Lacey, but she was well on her way to that, and it made her feel like a... well, an idiot.

Lacey smiled and hopped up, running out to grab a pillow and blanket, then returning with those items in hand. She scooted the chair closer to the other girl and settled in her chair, pillow behind her and blanket over her legs, her toes wiggling beneath it. "You can go to sleep now, I'll just hang out, probably take a nap too. I'm a little sleepy," she chuckled, giving a small yawn accordingly while she stretched her slender arms over her head. "But no worries, I'll definitely be here when you wake up. If I'm not I'm probably getting a drink or am in the bathroom."

Avery just nodded as she closed her eyes. As soon as she did, something happened to her face. It showed a different person. This girl seemed younger, and much less burdened. The bags under her eyes smoothed, and the nasty expression was gone. It was the girl she had been before everything had gone down the hill for her. A person with weakness and sweetness as well. A person who wasn't broken apart. Her eyelashes fluttered, and her consciousness faded into black. Reality's grasp on her let go, and the shadows of her black eyelashes darkened her cheekbones and made them more evident. She was sleeping. Finally.

Lacey was glad to see that the other girl relaxed as she slept; it was probably something she truly needed. The blonde yawned softly herself and curled up on the chair, the blanket wrapped around her as she began to doze off. She did manage to wake up before Avery, and yawned, rubbing her eyes as she shifted in the chair to get a little more comfortable. A nurse came and went, checking up on Avery to see how she was doing despite her being asleep.

Avery didn't wake the first long while after Lacey woke up, but when she finally did, her eyes were hazy. She had been drugged earlier, just for the sake of easing the pain, and it was now showing in her eyes. "Hi..." She said, her voice raspy and weak. She forced herself into a sitting position, groaning as she had to move her injured arm. Great, morphine didn't even work that well, and she didn't want to turn up the dose of it, that would just make her feel bad, then she'd rather deal with the pain.

"Hey, sleepyhead," Lacey smiled gently, sitting up in her chair, having just finished braiding her hair when Avery awoke. She was without anything to do so she just entertained herself. She patted the girl's hand gently, looking at the pained expression she had on her face and then pointed to a small remote beside her body on the bed. "You can up the dosage of morphine if you want, they weren't sure how much to put you on when the nurse was in earlier."

"No... I don't want to do that." Avery said, clutching her arm. "I already feel guilty enough, I'm not adding "drug addict" to the list." She said painfully. She didn't know how to lighten the mood. She was in pain and angry with herself, and she wanted to scream and cry but she couldn't. So all of her feelings materialized into one; bitterness. She was just bitter and annoyed, and her comments followed suit. She wanted to cry over her stupidity but she couldn't even do that, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.