OtherKins - Probably Offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be trait up honest here: what I'm about to say is probably colored by my recent experiences in life and possibly hypocritical with me being one of the most open trans people on the forum:

This sums up my stance on non-human identities:

tumblr_mwa9a5H2Wz1s52xa0o1_1280.jpg

This applies when people try to white knight it as a mental disorder, I have no problem with furies, some of my best friends are furies. Furries are people who are into some weird things. I'm into some weird things...

If there scientific evidence that comes up that this is a real thing and not a cry for attention or a form of dementia I'll change my stance.

I've heard about this for some time and I think it's a cry for attention, mostly. The "ghostkin" thing is what got me for this example. You're a ghost? You identify with being a ghost? You have more in common, you feel, with a former human than a living human. Right.

The thing of it is, often when you see these people they are so adamant with their stance on being respected and heard as individuals while forcing others into not being allowed the same. You want to be an animal or whatever and have people treat you, not like the thing you are claiming to be, but as a specially privileged thing that gets special rights and treatment. You want all your human amenities but with the pleasure of being center of attention because you can't figure yourself out like the rest of the human world. You can't identify with being human? With being a male or female or even with your own name? That's not unusual. That's not evidence that you are obviously a raccoon trapped in a 20-something's body. That's part of growing up.

Now, I'm not going to launch this into a rant about sexuality or gender identification because that's not what is happening here. Granted, that could be another thing these people are worrying about, but that's not the main issue. My issue, as others have pointed out before, is that they are taking attention away from legitimate problems and concerns and claiming they have equal ground.

Maybe we're all wrong and don't understand fully what is going on. I'm willing to give that a chance, but I don't think that's the case here. Nor do I think it ever will be.

• Love
Reactions: Wallflower.
Whats a chuunbiyou?

Stop with the words I don't understand!

Don't worry, @Razilin the helpfulness is weak in those two.

This is what Urban Dictionary has to say about it.

Chuunibyou (中二病) is a derrogative colloquial term in the Japanese language used to describe a person which manifests delusional behavior, particularly thinking that one has special powers that no other person has. Originally a term used to pertain to children in the second year of middle school who act like adults, the term eventually evolved into a term generally used to describe delusional behavior in general.

via http://animanga.wikia.com/wiki/Chuunibyou mostly 'cuz I got issues with referring to urban dictionary; Translated as "Middle School 2nd Year Syndrome".

In Buddhism, reincarnation is a big thing, a lot of Buddhist understand reincarnation as being reborn into a new form of life, this includes trees, insects.

The dharma can be translated saying that Buddha had previous lives of every type of creature on earth since, reincarnation is not the nirvana, being reborn is not the end result we as conscious bubbles want. It is my understanding that in order to reach the higher consciousness beyond reincarnation we must first live many lives with ways of living suited to our souls, consciousness, inner being (whatever you want to call it)

To me, wanting to identify yourself with animals and elements of earth is not something new, it is an ancient way of philosophy and living. The internet is what is new, the ability to share and create communities, trends, and connect/share/perpetuate said communities and trends.

Sure there is taking things too far, you cannot be an animal or an element, but connecting with elements and animals and identifying with them is old world news to me.

Some of these people are the nicest people you will ever meet.

I try to think of it as though this person is attempting to live multiple lives within this one and really put themselves in shoes that seem impossible to walk in.

I'm in the mountains btw, my hippie talk is now over lol. Time to go identify my feet with a lake near by!

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
Is this like that one guy (The Cat Man) who tried transforming himself into a tiger? x__x He died, I think, but when I watched something on TV about him when he was alive and I just couldn't believe my eyes. lol

imgres1.jpeg

This kinda shit scares and confuses me. And while I understand that people feel a deep, spiritual connection with a different thing of nature, I feel like that's something that should be kept to oneself. Personally, that's something I'd want to keep a special secret that's shared only with my closest friends and family. Posting it all over the internet would make you seem needy for attention and crazy. Nobody's going to take that seriously. Instead of wasting time on that kind of crap, I'd be out there trying to get closer to my animal brethren, or meditating to learn more about myself, or...something. *shrugs*

I've seen people who believe themselves to be plants, too. Like, seriously, they'd plant their feet in the ground and slowly die trying to photosynthesize. .____________.

Like many have mentioned too, it subtracts from situations that actually do need attention. Oi.

As ridiculous as it may be, who are we to judge or put down just because we don't like it or want to see it thrown in our faces every so often?

I feel as a society, we look for irrelevant things to complain about and yeah, I feel this is a bit irrelevant. That's like taking a stab at people who enjoy cosplay or LARPing because some of these people live like that every day. If you've ever watched a documentary like my strange addiction and so on, these people have spoken about the loneliness they've felt. How depressed and anxious they become when they don't have their special clothes on and how their families and friends make it a little harder for them to feel happy or cope with life.

Let's look at Barbie and Ken. Ken has spent over 30,000 dollars on surgery to look like the doll because he believes Ken represents perfection. Yet he is still not done with surgery and his mother wishes he would stop but he refuses. Plastic surgery, no...attempting to change yourself is an addiction. Everyone wants to be different. Barbie, she has gone through extremes such as living on carrot juice and basically ignoring most solids in order to keep her figure along with other extremes.

Society shapes us as a whole and becoming "dolls" and "animals" has become incredibly mainstream and accepted in a lot of places (especially Japan, omg) that it's not something we should shame people for. Most will grow out of it, others will need help that is beyond our power and some will do things, like the tiger man, and regret it deeply.

I don't think we should judge them...rather, I think we should help the younger generations by showing them the love this generation has been craving.

Also, I lol'd hard at the responses lol.

so who pissed in his coffee?

I really like, and appreciate, the way you formed your response, Cosmos.~ And Fluffers, and Vay, and many others.. > 3<
This is an interesting discussion thread.

- w- Gonna go back to lurking, as my thoughts are being said by others already.

I do often wonder how many of the over-the-top otherkins on tumblr are simply trolls.

On the other hand:
I feel sorry for some of them? A lot of otherkins are young girls or young adults who suffer from some form of trauma and are searching for a way to escape. Others are looking for somewhere to belong, see the community, and decide they must be apart of it. Unfortunately much of the otherkin community is extremely offensive, especially towards trans folk. I really don't know how to feel about it. For the most part, it's a mix of sympathy and exasperation over the sheer ridiculousness of it.

I also agree with Cosmos that there is no use ridiculing them. For those that are straight up offensive or trolling, it's another thing to call them out... but the young people who don't know any damn better I try to just leave alone. So long as they aren't harming others, it's none of my business.

Reactions: Mid and Stacisaur
As with everything I have ever seen or heard, I only have two things to say: I am very open minded and will not judge(to an extent) on the way you think or act and two is that when I do judge it is because you have taken it to far. To say you feel connected with the water is fine, I feel a strong connection to the spirit side of life which is why I feel I'm quite good with Tarot reading, but to say you are the water and are trapped in a human body is taking it to far. That is all my lads and dears.

image.jpg

'enough said my folks..

I simply want to state here that everyone is Free to be whatever they want to be.

As Fij said, about the reincarnation, I believe in that strongly. It is a circle of life after all, as many accept it or deny it either way.

In other words, even if you don't consider yourself a Human anymore and want to be a Tree, be my guest. I don't mind ^^

But it is obvious that Us, the humans by nature, we tend to be Judgemental anyways .. And the opinions are scattered all over the place to be honest.

I can see Humans, but not Humanity anymore..

Tiger out ._.

We humans are born to be unique and different in our own way. If everyone was the same, then we'll all be like robots or life will completely dull. We might as well say "SHADOW CLONE JITSU!!!!!!" and there you go, a dull synchronized life.

Reactions: PureKor
I don't give a fuck what people identify with or what makes them happy as long as they don't start demanding special treatment- and I mean special treatment, not equal treatment, because there's a difference- or use it to excuse shitty behavior.

That applies to everyone. Not just otherkin.

To give clarification on what I mean by special treatment:

If someone walks up to you and pees on you unprompted, it doesn't matter what their race is or what gender they are, you've been peed on without your permission and no one will argue that the person doing the peeing was violating your personal space.

If that person then tries to claim that it's part of their culture or inherent identity to pee on you and that this cultural/personal identity trumps your right not to be peed on, that's demanding special treatment.

If I seriouspost on the subject, I generally don't mind furries. Some of 'em are creepy as hell, but so are many non-furries. So they like to put some cute critter pic up as their forum / IM avatar and pretend they're something else when they're on the internet. Or sometimes they add it into their cosplay hobbies. Honestly, I'd be pretty messed up if I took an issue with it: a lot of them are just nerds whose best friends in life were animals, and they want to emulate that sort of experience with human relationships. Or maybe they just stumbled onto some chan board during an image raid, and something caught their eye. Either way, I regard it with a lot more respect than I would vampire nuts: at least they aren't fantasizing about mind-controlling people into loving them while also having their way with the mind-controlled person's body, you know?

It don't confront me none, a'long as I get my rent paid on Friday.

But then you get these... people, caught up in wanting to be a special snowflake, yelling at you for not using a pronoun that you've never even heard of when you tell your other friend, "Oh hey, can she come hang out with us too?" or demanding to be exempt from the uniform policy because their religion states that men aren't supposed to wear skirts. Why would somebody do that after applying to a maid cafe?! Do they not realize a maid cafe is where the serving staff wear maid uniforms?! Sheesh!

Now where was I?

Oh yeah, otherkin.

I saw an episode of Invader Zim once, where a guy in a chicken suit got his zipper stuck, so he believed he morphed into a half-chicken-half-man, and never bathed. Please don't be like that guy: people have enough trouble accepting the mild deviations of the norm, and freak out / get offended if somebody claims to not believe in christ or express the idea that men are not superior beings. Maybe a day will come where surgical options become available, but it's not likely to be for another century or two, and then a century or two longer before such things are considered "not a freak of nature." I wouldn't treat you any differently myself, until you start telling me how magical you are, or that you've been touched by angels / devils, or that your religion is so important that I should drop everything to listen to you reciting your codex of infinite wisdom and why I'm wrong for believing differently.

Because then you're interfering, and lessening the reputation of other groups struggling for acceptance. I get the double standard, and that I'm being a hypocrite to a degree, but here's the thing: people hate change, and they won't shut up about it once it becomes mandatory. There are still klan wizards in my 'hood, and the same laws that protect minorities protect them. And you can bet one of 'em will try to get beastfolk classified as an endangered species, and if that goes through, all the 'kin will be kept in zoos.

And then things would get freaky. Please, don't do that. I don't want to not-raise any children in a world where that future refuses to change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.