Original Superhero Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be keeping an eye on this, see where this goes and maybe join if it still has my attention later on :)
Wonderful art choice for your avatar, Hades and Persephone 2 was the first thing I favorite-ed on Deviant Art.

Wonderful art choice for your avatar, Hades and Persephone 2 was the first thing I favorite-ed on Deviant Art.
I roleplay a lot as Persephone so it only felt befitting to dedicate my avatar to her in a lovely work of art ;)

Any room for gadget-using heroes in this roleplay? Those are my favorite kind.

Possibly. I'd have to see what kind of gadgets you're referring to.

Well, that's a pretty broad category. It really depends on what the character would need.
To continue on the mutation theme of this RP, what if he had a mutation which gave him an innate, or savant-like, ability to assemble gadgets.

Well, that's a pretty broad category. It really depends on what the character would need.

Eh, not exactly. Inspired by Batman, yes, but not Batman to the letter.
psssh all gadgeteers were inspired by vatman

or iron man

no need to be ashamed of it. i based one of my Rp superhero chars on kiritsugu from fate zero because i liked his antimagic bullet gun ability. then i shoehorned in macgyvers skill of improvising weapons. man, that was a fun character.

psssh all gadgeteers were inspired by vatman

or iron man

no need to be ashamed of it. i based one of my Rp superhero chars on kiritsugu from fate zero because i liked his antimagic bullet gun ability. then i shoehorned in macgyvers skill of improvising weapons. man, that was a fun character.
I'm not ashamed of it. Most superhero characters I make are gadget-based characters and largely inspired by Batman. But the statement "he wants to be Batman" isn't true. Having a character inspired by him yes, but their origin story and personal life will be much different.

Reactions: Azathoth
Interests are peaked. How would you handle Time Control. I understand that going back in time is probably a big, big no, but other than that, there's evolution, devolution, super speed, quick aging, rewinding the age clock, making dupes of yourself, forcing someone through the same actions over and over again, much much more. Awesome power, but a pain to balance without removing the fun.

Reactions: Indabayou
To continue on the mutation theme of this RP, what if he had a mutation which gave him an innate, or savant-like, ability to assemble gadgets.
Additionally, I am not opposed to this idea, although it is not preferred. I typically don't like my superheroes to have powers/mutations, but if one is required, this is not a bad compromise at all, so thank you for the suggestion.

Interests are peaked. How would you handle Time Control. I understand that going back in time is probably a big, big no, but other than that, there's evolution, devolution, super speed, quick aging, rewinding the age clock, making dupes of yourself, forcing someone through the same actions over and over again, much much more. Awesome power, but a pain to balance without removing the fun.
Ooh, I can't wait til this rp starts up, I'd love to see your character in action! I was thinking intangibility for my character's main ability :U

I'd really like to emphasize that this is pretty much in a setting that was identical to the real world, right up until an alien ship fell out of the sky. I'm not opposed to a gadgeteer without mutation, but I'd prefer them to at least start with gadgets that we could conceivably see in the real world, before gradually progressing to cooler and more high-tech gear.

The premise is that everyone is starting out weak and totally without experience. But I'm going to state right off the bat that some powers are going to be banned: telepathy, time travel, reality bending, and anything relating to probability. I'm very leery of time-related powers (and why does duplication need to be listed as timey wimey? Why can't they just split randomly into clones?) But if you can describe them in a way that convinces me they're balanced, I might allow it. I'm gonna be seriously eyeballing them though. Anything that allows you to control other players while leaving them zero potential to fight back, however--like forcing someone to repeat the same actions over and over again indefinitely, for example--will probably not be allowed.

Yeah, I was going to make my character start off green anyway. I don't like having them start out as an uber-badass crime fighter without flaws. Their gadgetry would likely be the basic stuff, such as a grapple, Taser, etc. Once they establish themselves, and learn more, they'll develop more sophisticated stuff.

Then that sounds perfect! It'll be nice to have a Badass Normal in the mix, even if he's not quite badass yet, haha

@Faulkner

any opposition to the power of manipulating friction?
Oh man that'd be a fun power to have.

Also, still here. Just kinda stalking this for now, I'll join when the OOC goes up.

Oh man that'd be a fun power to have.

Also, still here. Just kinda stalking this for now, I'll join when the OOC goes up.
hence why i want it

i usually play nonpowered heroes

so if i were to play a powered one, may as well have fun with it

hence why i want it

i usually play nonpowered heroes

so if i were to play a powered one, may as well have fun with it
What does that power entail anyway? Sounds interesting.

well, friction is one of many opposing forces to moving in a given direction. increase it and things slow down, decrease it and an object slows down at a lesser rate

at zero friction, barring other opposing forces, an object will move in the same direction at constant velocity

if you want to get really creative, you can change friction in a given location relative to all others, allowing you to manipulate the direction of an object

if you get really really creative, you do it in more directions than just an x axis. like adding y and z axes and making objects go any direction you want

downside is, friction opposes motion. it cannot speed something up nor can it make something move from a starting velocity of 0 units/distance

it can also be used to make sheets frictionless

leading to hilarious wedding stories

@Indabayou

Reactions: Indabayou
Status
Not open for further replies.