Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Minibit, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm on a 10 minute break in a 3-hour lecture, and a few of my classmates are 1000x more engaged learning how to make paper cranes than they were with the lecture xD

Does anyone here like to do origami? I used to be really into it when I was a kid, but I fell out of practice.

I still get a little irritated when a process involves taping, gluing or cutting though, I guess I'm kind of a purist because if I consider it "paper crafts" instead of origami if its anything other than folding.
  2. Boy, do I love myself some origami! I used to be pretty obsessed back in high school, but mellowed down after that I started university. Nowadays I do it whenever I watch movies, or am in a (long) call and not doing anything in particular.

My favourite things to fold are origami kusudama (origami (flower) balls) and 3d origami objects. Though I do enjoy the simple single sheet origami as well. It is just that tinkering around with the units that gives me a great joy when bored. They are also great gifts to sent~ Ask @Princess Misaou and @Wicked. XD

3d origami swans + single sheet roses

• Love Love x 2
  3. Only if poorly done paper air planes count. :(

But it would be something fun to learn.
    If for nothing more than getting some cool new (and free) decorations.
    • Like Like x 1
    • You Get a Cookie You Get a Cookie x 1
  4. I enjoy making things out of dollar bills. It makes for a cute tip at a restaurant.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. With origami, I usually just give up and try to defy the conventional "folding limit" of paper, which is now accepted to be 12 times (as the record). EDIT:// With a standard sheet of paper, I think the limit is 4-5, but I'm not sure.

EDIT #2:
    Screw it. Here's a fast and dirty reference to the current record holder. The common conception was that the limit was 7 times.

Britney Gallivan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT #3:
    OH SHIT! I'm going deep now! COOL!
    Mathematics of paper folding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    #5 foodforpigs, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  6. The last time I folded some origami was for a class project on Hinamatsuri, decided to make a paper set instead of spending hundreds on a proper doll set.
  7. I know two (major (sort of)) origami figures, a box and a vase. I really like origami, so calming, and yet at times so aggrevating!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.