Oriental Adventures - Shadow over Rokugan

Roppu was taken aback at the stranger's usage of her language. She squinted at him, sniffing further. The only humans she knew that spoke her language was the Crab, Mantis, and the 'rat hunters'. Her tail twitched slightly, fur standing on end as she looked at him. He still smelled weird, too - he had the aroma the morning had just after a storm. No scent of sweat or dirt at all. She spoke in the twitchy language of her people, "Don't call me 'friend' yet, stranger." She squinted at him for a few more moments, before looking at the other two.

Finally, she turned, tail whipping violently through the air as she followed Ryoko. She looked over her shoulder at Prettz, "These two are practical. They don't mind your presence as long as you have a use, and don't offend them. They're easily lied to if you can appease their honor and their egos. They, like all samurai, are naive to how civilization works at the bottom end of society." She whips around, glaring at Prettz and crossing her arms over her chest, "Despite of this, what they are attempting is noble. I will not see them taken advantage of, and I use my own skills to aid them, even if I have to defend them from the shadows. I have no problem with you coming along, and I implore you to aid us, but... please, don't do anything stupid. I do not wish to see more bloodshed than I have to, and these two are viscous with those blades." The entire conversation finished in hyper speed, as the nezumi normally speak, she nodded - her warning and advice over.

Kiyoshi's scowl only deepened. The man's one saving grace was he was helping them save Ryoko's village, if not for that he would be watching his own body fall from a good distance away. It didn't help that He seemed to speak with Roppu in a strange language. He needed to focus on the matter at hand.

"Then I pray that we find you village intact." he found a growing respect for Ryoko despite her brutish ways. Her heart was so like that of a lion. "If not I will remain by your side until every last man is avenged."

Prettz nodded to Ryoko. "My name is Prettz, and I hail from the market town, Yufuku and Heigen Toshi. I am a traveling bard, if you wish to know." he said to the group, smiling cheerily, and following behind the whole group.
"I can see that, Nezumi. These people seem to be firm in doings. I' was too uncareful , and did not see such things. I'd try apologizing, but seems your male samurai doesn't not want me here. And I mean you no wrong harm, Nezumi. I mean the best of everyone I see. I have no bad will." he said, will some difficulty. His Nezumi was rusty, and it was hard to speak in human form. He hoped it was enough to convince her, at least for a while. He sighed, a little blue that these three were so quick to distrust people. What, did they just come from a funeral or something?
"If you don't mind my asking, why would bandits attack that town? I've been there, it's not exactly a bandit target. Nothing of overwhelming value there for them to steal." he said, curious as to why bandits would attack a town, and repeatedly at that, after being fended off.

Ryoko forced herself to look straight ahead. But his declaration surprised her and humbled her further. Then she smirked as she finally looked at him. "Either way, it's going to be a hell of a journey. But don't think I'm going to take it easy on you, Lion samurai. You're going to have to show me you have more claws and teeth than what you've shown me so far."

Ryoko was beginning to feel a little better, a little more hopeful about this journey. Having such a large group would have slowed them down anyways. And she couldn't forget how she'd bristled when that woman had spoken those stupid words. Unicorn ronin ... The idea was just ... just ... It was stupid! "I am Moto Ryoko. We ride for the village to stop an attack brought on by awful bandits." Bandits wielding weapons never before seen ...

"Actually... th-they do have prized hor... horses." Roppu stuttered in rokugani. "B-b-best in the world, I hear." She scratches her cheek, not wanting to reveal too much. "The bandits... Th-th-they seemed... foreign." Was all she could think of saying without risking the ire of her samurai companions. She turns to look at them all. "...I c-c-can offer wh... what little assistance I can i... in a fight, as well." Her shoulders untensed, and she smiled - only a little, as she said, "...Me... a... and th-the spirits."

She continued to walk with ease, as her spiritual armor flickered, the old style samurai armor seeming to... fall off her, floating towards the ground and disintegrating away into nothing. All that was left now was her... less covering entertainer's garb, and the cloak given to her by the Tsuruchi archer.

This nezumi once again defied the precedent set by her kind. IT would be interesting if she followed through with her word though he had little doubt that she would. "Roppu you continue to surprise me but I feel your talents would be better used in healing than fighting. However..." he thought about her ancient looking armor that seemed to be make of the air itself. "I will not deny you the chance to prove me wrong."

He looked at Ryoko and while he didn't know her knew the warrior's call as written by the Kami ages past and laid a hand on her mount's flank.

"The weight of a Samurai is heavy on the shoulders of those who carry it, but they never carry it alone for the ancestors never leave our side." he couldn't say it, doing so would be to presume Ryoko did not know it already but he let it show in his eyes, and his stride. In ryko's sorrow he had found his own center once again and his heart was that of a Matsu, a Lion. "If we been any bandits there you'll see how a Samurai of the lion clan fights Ryoko."

"Hrrmm..." Prettz said at Roppu's words. "That IS true, but aren't the truly best one's given to the Unicorn military? And even more so if their foreign; they wouldn't know Unicorn's famous horses... Even stranger that they would tear the place down, and not let them restock and come back for more later..." he kept explaining, talking to mostly himself at this point. "Ah well, regardless, lives are at stake. We must remedy that problem posthaste." he said, cracking his neck. "And what are your names, samurai and Nezumi?" he said, looking to the two as the walked.

"The name is Heanius, now just lead the way and we'll take care of these scoundrels and be back on our way with the rest of our group," Heanius said. He found it quite hypocritical of them to worry about their own lands so much, but not give a damn about what happened to another's. It just showed how selfish the samurai truly were. It's because of those traits that he himself never took up the Bushido code. "You still haven't graced us with your name, and we'd appreciate any other info you have on your attackers." Heanius asked as they began walking down the path, Ryoko and the others distant dots from them, however since both were traveling, not quite fading off into the horizon.

"Sorrow continues,
as the red rain falls on us,
a journey starts anew."

The haiku was spoken aloud, near Haruko, Cao, and Heanius. The voice was deep, calm, and with the slightest hint of an accent. At first, it would be hard to detect it's presence, thanks to the pouring rain and the darkness of night. Soon, however, a creature steps from the rain. Red fur, drenched from the downfall, showing clearly defined muscle structure on the beast.. a fox, of unnatural size. On all fours, it stood at about Haruko's waist height. It looked at the gathered individuals...

...And a smile graces it's face, human eyes looking to each. "It is pleasure to meet you. The laws of greeting require I give name first. I am Bei." The fox nods it's head. "While I was on way to catch up with Samurai Ryoko, Samurai Kiyoshi, and The Abomination, I be happy to help, too." His speech method was askew, probably thanks to his inhuman mouth. The fox steps forward.

"Sacred home displaced
you face a challenge far off,
will you accept aid?"

With that final poem, the fox sat, smiling up at Haruko in a foxlike manner.

ningei-1-1.jpg

Haruko bowed deeply to Heanius as he introduced himself and nodded as she realized she hadn't introduced herself or supplied enough information about her imaginary attackers, of course it was one thing at a time, she quickly devised descriptions of her attackers. Now I have to make sure to keep these facts straight.

"My na..." She was cut off from the sudden outburst of poetry. She looked around, glancing at the two that had offered to help her, neither of them having said the words that hit her ears. As she looked about she finally saw a rather large fox step out from the gloom in the rain. At first Haruko thought that it was just a pet from one of the local villagers but soon she realized it was much more then that, especially as it sat down and offered its assistance.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Lord Spirit Bei. My name is Haruko of the Cherry Blossoms," She bowed deeply, even to the fox, who she still didn't trust, hearing stories and having told plenty of her own about the trickery of the fox spirits, "And as for the Unicorn ronin, they wore no mon of their clan but they had the look about them, I'm sure you know it well. They were tall and dark skinned and had black hair and looked like the Unicorns do...those ruffians..." She began to tear up again, holding up her fan in front of her face as to not let them see her cry.

ningei-2.jpg

Cao Dian's mood progressively deteriorated as Roppu, Rokyo and Kiyoshi moved into the distance, and as the others wasted time, he tapped his armored foot in a show of impatience
though when there was an outburst of Poetry the Peasants Fist lost all trace of patience
"forgive me, but my Compatriots move to Combat a possible bandit conspiracy, and if we are to have any chance of catching up with them, then we must resolve the situation with these ronin criminals swiftly and immediately, so, honored Geisha, if you would lead the way, i would be most appreciative" the large warrior said, struggling to maintain a polite tone to his voice.

"You said Unicorn lands?" The fox smiled, "Well then, Samurai Ryoko and others are going longer way..." A paw lifted, pointing off the road, through the rice paddies. "Shortest distance is that way, off the road. Though I think that Ronin travel outside of their abandoned lands." The fox nods - stating, "They be dimwits."

Looking over at the others, the fox began to walk forward into the muddy rice paddies, his muscular form sinking deep into the mud, though he seemed not to mind much. He turned, "You come? Never been to Unicorn before, but they border my home. I know way. Come come. Ronin wave-men, they move fast. Can reach quickly."

ningei-1-1.jpg
Haruko was still off put by the talking fox but she had to seemingly snap out of her tears. She dried them off with her sleeve again and listened to the fox speak again. He suggested that the pathway they take was one through the muddy rice patties. And THAT was not acceptable to Haruko.

"Excuse me Lord Spirit? I cannnot get this kimono dirty, it is my mother's final treasure that she had left to me when I had finished my training as a geisha! Can we find a...cleaner way around? Otherwise I will have to balance along the lump in the middle..." She sighed, walking to the paddy edge.

"Short on time. Short on patience, some of your guard." The fox looks pointedly at Cao, before bounding over to Haruko, sitting down next to her, looking up at her. "Yes, you thin and light. If you want, I carry you." The waist-high fox nods, before moving to stand on it's hind legs... as, in a manner of seconds, it changed. Chest broadening out to a muscular human's chest, arms ending in a more human-like hand - though without thumbs. Somewhere in the change came his clothes, sort of melding out of his previous form... the green-and-brown, loose clothing of a Dragon monk, complete with the mon of the Togashi clan.

"I not human. I know not rule. But we want catch ronin, and fast way is here. You not want dress dirtied, I carry." The now much-taller, muscular fox man nodded, a single tail swishing behind him. "I not offer normally, but..." He grins, "Keep call me 'Lord Spirit', I inclined to aid."

ningei-1-1.jpg
Haruko sighed as the fox made a point. The rest of her group wanted to hurry and there was no better way to go then as the crow flys. She took one look at the muddy water then jumped back as she watched the fox transform into a mixture of human and fox. How tricky...it's a good thing the Scorpions didn't train him, he would make an excellent assassin. AH the Scorpions, although this tale would be a little different...

"Normally, Lord Spirit, one would be charged for coming this close to a Geisha, but I suppose I could make an exception. You know where I come from we have a tale...but I'll save the entertaining stories for when we have gone across the paddy. Please Lord Spirit, I would be in your service if you would be so kind as to carry me as to not ruin my kimono." She stepped up to the fox spirit a little more seductively then she had intended but there was no use in worrying about it now.

The feel of the horse beneath her. The sound of her companions talking. The sight of the land as they journeyed. I am Unicorn. I am woman. I was born to defend the borders of Rokugan. None shall stop the swing of my halberd for I swing it to defend my home, my clan, human and horse. She said that over and over in her mind, a mantra, a chant to calm herself. For as long as she could remember, she had loved two things: horses and battle.

Then she had witnessed the Utaku Battle Maidens and there was no doubt in her mind, she was destined to be one. No, not just an Utaku Battle Maiden but a legendary one whose exploits would rival that of her beloved ancestor, the founder of that great order. She was so deep in thought that she almost failed to notice Kiyoshi laying a hand on her mount's flank. She glanced over her shoulder, feeling eyes on her and met Kiyoshi's eyes. There was something in there ... something she could relate to ... She couldn't be weak now. She had to be strong. There was firm resolve in her gaze and then she nodded to him before she turned away and looked ahead.

Ryoko and her allies ride forward for their intended destination, resting only for a few moments before moving on, Ryoko unwilling to drive her horse to exhaustion, though still wanting to make good time. Finally, they make it to a river, having gone off the path a way's back so as not to enter the nearby Lion settlement of Oiku, which was rather famous for turning back visitors, even from it's own clan. The river moved swiftly, and... in the opposite direction of where they needed to go. No sort of bridge is in sight, and a boat would be hard to come by... As it stands, the moon slowly begins to fall, the sun begins to rise... to go any further after the rigors of the day - with the attack on Renga Murai just that afternoon, would risk exhaustion on everyone's part... for now, the group stops to make camp, possibly unwillingly on Ryoko's part, but it is a needed break.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Bei carrying Haruko in his arms, they make it out of the rice paddies and into a far dryer area in no time at all. The grassy fields they walked through was once host to a terrible skirmish between Unicorn and Lion clans, and a forgotten weapon or grave marker can be found every few minutes. The rainclouds behind them, the only thing above them was the end to a starry sky, the rain having ended long ago. Allowing this, Bei gently set Haruko down and the group walked together.

In the distance, they see a traveler coming towards them... then, as that traveler comes forward, further into view, it is joined by three other figures. As the distance closes between the two groups, those three travelers that had joined the first are seen shambling... and, as they come into clear view, it becomes obvious of what they were.

A handsome, cocky-looking man with long, silvery hair and black robes stands with his hands on a long pipe, smoking it merrily as he gazes upon Haruko, Cao, Heanius, and Bei in turn. His robes bear no mon, and there are bags under his eyes, as if from lack of sleep. His 'allies'... for lack of a better term, are... lacking in flesh. Decayed, bones showing, flesh sagging from their bones - each with a tag attached to their foreheads. "You'll do nicely." The man says in a pompous manner, before snapping his fingers - his zombified minions shambling forward...

Haruko, Cao, Heanius, Bei - Roll Initiative.

There was no more progress to be make and though they could press on the terrain might be treacherous in the dark, and even if it meant arriving in time they would not do any good without sleep.

Kiyoshi lowered his backpack to the ground and shook his shoulders clear of the tension of carrying its weight for so long. Unstrapping his helmet he lad that on top of his pack. There was no announcement by anyone that they should rest, the sight of the river baring their path brought the acknowledgment that they needed rest to all their minds. Roppu as always appeared to have things well in hand and so Kiyoshi, turned to Ryoko who having just dismounted was running her hand down her horse's muzzles affectionately.

"Do you need help unloading?" he asked gesturing at her mount. His plan was simple, get everyone settled then perhaps get rid of the odor he had developed during their trip in the river.

Though tired, Roppu moved to the grass nearby, digging around in it for a moment... uprooting a stiff, but flexible root. Reaching into a pocket, she took out some string, tying it to the end of the stick. Out a few moments later was a hook... and, digging around a bit more, found some bait. Dragging herself over to the river, she places her bare feet within, casting her line, and immediately set about catching dinner. As soon as her rump hit the grass at the shoreline, she sighed peacefully, tail twitching as she finally got the chance to relax.

Her legs ached, her shoulders ached, her feet ached, her ears ached. It had been a very long day. Not a few moments after her line hit the water, a fish tugged at it - and was yanked from the water, fish flying on the end of her line - caught in her hand, and smashed down upon a nearby rock, stunning it. She set it next to her, fitted another line, and threw it in, humming a song peacefully. Thoughts of the impending battle for defense at the Unicorn lands were the furthest from her mind - which was also notably numb from the massive amount of today's thinking and stress.

With a sigh, she leaned back, bones 'cricking' loudly from her spine. She was silent, for now... comfortable. They hadn't betrayed her or stabbed her yet - she'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Her hands idly went to the borrowed cloak, bringing it to her nose and sniffing it lightly. She shrugged, going back to her fishing.

Heanius looked in confusion at their new arrival. He had only arrived, but Bei was already integrated amongst them, now carrying Haruko in his arms as a mother a baby, keeping her from getting mud upon her kimono. Though why she was wearing such a precious item in the first place mystified Heanius, though he chalked it up to the many mysteries of women. Anyways, he had to focus on the task at hand, which was apprehending the rogues that trashed her workplace. It seemed that Cao had similar thoughts as he led the group, seemingly annoyed by Bei's entrance, though it could be jealousy at stealing Haruko's attention, pondered Heanius.

He shook his head, he was getting sidetracked by all these pointless inner discussions. Though he supposed this was why he could never be a samurai, he lacked the discipline at keeping his mind focused. Or at least focused outside of archery. That's the only time his mind was at ease, all other times his thoughts flitted from one topic to the next like a bird with too many worms and can't decide which to eat. He looked up, but had to blink a few times before registering that what was laid out before him was a man in a black robe, no mon noticeable on the garment. Behind him were the living dead, quite obvious in the fact that they were missing obscene amounts of flesh and having some sort of tag on them like they were cattle.

Heanius inferred with ease that they were dealing with a necromancer. What other reason could corpses have for following a man who just flat out looked like one, with the bags under his eyes and the creepy cloak. Heanius readied his bow, quickly realizing that there was no way out of this but to fight.

(1d20)[10] + 4 = My Initiative roll