Oriental Adventures - Shadow over Rokugan

Ryoko watched everything and then gave a deep, dramatic sigh. "The man speaks such words with such heart and honesty. But you try to get him to crack a joke and then ..." She shrugged and turned the horse to follow him. She paused next to Roppu. "Yeah, but let's get one thing clear. No touching my horse." She knew the stories of creatures who stole Unicorn horses and Nezumi were one of them. She didn't wait for a reply before she continued with Kiyoshi.

"Y-your horse too muscular. Too t-t-tough to ea... eat." She commented with a frown.

Roppu struggled internally. On one paw, she was afraid this was some sort of elaborate trick... on the other... people who would actually be accepting of her and her race is... rare. She truly was curious as to the events surrounding the destruction of Renga Murai, as well. Standing in the muck, she looked curiously to the two samurai... and then to the archer, who seemingly defended her without much cause... a noble deed. She turned to look towards Cao... another truly noble deed, running to defend her - to him, she offered a nod and a smile of thanks.

She called, "It's... it's just a hunch," to Kiyoshi. "...Just... s-s-seems like evidence points th... that way." Her ghostly armor shone and flickered as she moved, like a candle in the wind. After standing there a few more moments, she crept up, still walking a good distance behind Kiyoshi and Ryoko - cautious. Her ghostly armor still in effect likely indicated that as well. The wind brushing against her causing her to jump - obviously frightened... skittish.

"...Th-though... if you d-d-don't attack me. You are my friends - un... unlike all the rest of th-th-the lands we are in... s-save maybe the lands of the Crab." She nods, "...In that case... I w-... I will offer my... m-m-my skill with the spirits... and my m-magical healing, as well as ph... physical." She nodded, teeth chattering - more from the cold of the wind and rain against her less-than-garbed body - the smell of wet fur surrounding her, now. Muddy footprints trailed behind her, dripping off of her shoeless feet.

Seeing the situation defuse as quickly as it appeared to him, almost like it never happened, Heanius was intrigued by this ragtag group of people in front of him. Looking at the entire group, it was revealed that it contained a lion samurai, a unicorn samurai, a crab warrior, and a nezumi. Heanius imagined that they couldn't have been traveling for long, since they were still bickering quite a bit at one another. "I hope I'm not seeming intrusive, but may I ask where you guys are off to?" Heanius asked, wondering what cause could possible bring all these different people together.

As they came closer to him on the path, he noticed that the Nezumi was shivering, her fur wet, feet bare and caked in mud. She obviously wasn't very well off, wearing clothes that were more akin to rags, tattered from usage and worn thin. A particularly strong wind blew, causing the ratling to sneeze and shiver harder. Taking off his cloak, he draped it around her shoulders to wear, saying, "I've seen many of your kind working among the crab soldiers. While I don't have anything for your feet, I hope this cloak is enough to warm you up. We don't want you getting a cold now." He smiled warmly, giving her at least one person she didn't have to worry about.

Kiyoshi, already slightly ahead turned back to adress the newcomer who was already offering Roppu his cloak and clearly intended to stay with them. "If you're going to Renga Murai all you're find is fire and rubble." he said gesturing down the road "But something tells me your path in less decided. We are heading for Unicorn lands, because that same people the destroyed Renga Murai will attack there too..." He glanced at Ryoko "... If they haven't already. If you are willing we could use your bow. I am Matsu Kiyoshi, and I promise payment, even it its a pick of anything we find on those mongrels."

Ryoko once again had the hood of her cloak up and was looking straight ahead. She just wanted to continue on their journey. For the sooner they got there, the better. She did not know what awaited them there but she prayed to whatever Kami listened that the village was alright. How dare those bastards encroach on Unicorn lands. She would make them pay with the blade of her halberd! She took a deep breath and stroked her horse's neck to soothe her.

Roppu jumped in terror as the cloak is placed on her shoulders, squeaking displeasure and tossing it off of her, whipping around and staring at the Mantis archer in fear. It took her a while to process that it was not, in fact, some sort of tarp to put over her head, drag her away and kill her... nor was it any sort of weapon. Looking terribly embarrassed, she crouched down to pick up the cloak, wrapping it around herself mournfully and looking at him in thanks - sneezing again ('ftu!').

After walking a moment in silence, she turned and spoke to the archer, "...R... Roppu." She nodded, saying her own name, before turning around and walking quietly for a few more moments. "R... rain's aw... awfully c-c-cold... for the seas... season." She shivered, looking up at the sky. "...M-maybe... I sh... should ask the spirits.. for pro... protection... n-n-next we camp..." She looks up. "...Un... unless you in... intend to ride a th-th-three day's trip in a single day?"

ningei-1-1.jpg

Haruko had been resting under a tree off the side of the road. She hadn't wished to get her kimono dirty but she hadn't seen any towns for some time and she didn't want to walk all the way back. Eventually she had just fallen asleep but was suddenly awoken by the sound of voices and a horse. She quickly stood and dusted herself off and quickly ran into the road, throwing herself to the dirt as if she had fallen, before quickly rising to her feet, and running towards the group she had seen.

"OH KIND NOBLES!" She proclaimed, and rat... she added in a thought, "May I beg those of such high standing to aid a lowly geisha such as myself with a problem? You see, my teahouse where I worked was destroyed by these ronin from the unicorn lands and I've been wandering ever since looking for someone to aid me in getting to the Unicorn lands and exact vengeance on the dishonorable dogs that did this to me..." She quickly began to sob as forced tears rolled down her cheeks.

If this doesn't work I'm a dead woman...

Cao Dian had returned Roppu's nod before moving back to his place at the rear of the column, though as a woman stumbled and ran towards them the Peasants fist moved forwards, and as her impassion pleas reached his ears Dian felt an overwhelming urge to help the woman
"We are headed that way, I would be honored to assist you" the large crab warrior said.

Heanius jumped back as Roppu freaked out upon feeling the cloak upon her. She obviously lived a life of fear and paranoia if she was so scared over such an innocent act, though it made sense given her race and such. "Heanius," He said, mainly to Roppu, introducing himself to her. They walked along peacefully, enjoying the walk along the path and the scenery that surrounded it. "The rain is quite cold, though who are we to tell the God's how cold to make it?" He responded to Roppu, "I think we'll be stopping soon, depending on whether or not we find an Inn or something similar to stop at along the way."

Just then, a geisha came upon them, begging for help, calling them nobles, and people of high standing. Heanius chuckled to himself, it wasn't everyday that he was called those things. He looked down upon her as cried before them, her emotions looking legitimate enough for Heanius to accept it without pause. Following Cao Dian's offering to help the woman out, Heanius added, "Yes, we would be more than happy to take care of some thugs along the way, I could always use some more target practice."

Ryoko growled! How dare that geisha bring her Unicorn brethren into this, ronin or not! She turned her horse. "Help the wench if you want. I've wasted enough time with you." She turned the horse and continued on her way, leaving the rest of the party and their newly acquired member behind. She clenched her jaw. She had people to help and a village to save. She wasn't going to waste her time, babysitting a bunch of children who obviously needed looking after!

Roppu looked at the scene unfolding. "W-wait...! We... the roads... the amount of... of b-b-bandits... you can't just..." She looks back and forth between each character... worried for a moment. She... wasn't normally the helping type... and Ryoko was more than a little of a jerk. Clearly, the 'Compassion' and 'Duty' part of the Samurai code weren't practiced by all samurai. She'd have to remember this. Biting her lip for a moment, she ran forward about three steps, whipping around to bow to the geisha, the archer, and the Peasant's Fist. "It... it w-w-was a pleasure meeting you. I am... s-s-sorry I could not be of service, but... the Unicorn v-v-village... might need me. If m'lady samurai fights like sh... she acts..." She turns her head, looking at Ryoko. "...She'll p-p-probably need my healing ability, too..." She looked to the archer, "...I w-w-will repay you for your c-c-cloak... I hope."

She turns, running after Ryoko, slowing down and jogging behind and to the left of her horse. "...I'm c-c-coming too. D-d-doing it alone is... phen... pheno... really foolhardy." She looked up at Ryoko with a (hopefully) diplomatic smile. "...Gotta have some allies, after... after all. D-d-doing things by yourself would lea... lead to a very short legend..."

Kiyoshi looked at the geisha, her plea was troubling, it could be the bandits or the enemy that he was after not Ronin that attacked her, but Ryoko was heading for the village regardless. "I am sorry too but my duty leads me to go with the Unicorn Samurai, though I believe you'll be in good hands, that fighter in none other than the peasants' fist." He bowed quickly to the geisha before wetting all at a jog to follow Ryoko and Roppu, feeling relieved to have the Nezumi with them, it would be a pain to carry that tainted note himself let alone retrieve it from her without it being seen.

A rather aged old man plodded down the path, a backpack on his back, slightly hunched over due to the weight. Maybe that guy's form was better... Prettz thought, stopping on the side of the road, hiding behind a rock. He placed his pack down with a thud, disrobing down to nothing. He pulled out a gi, and sighed. The only reasoned he picked the older man was so he'd blend in a bit, and possibly be overlooked as a target for bandits and other undesirables. Unfortunately, the old man he took the form from had rather brittle bones and joints, taking his traveling speed and breaking it in half. He closed his eyes, and began to focus, his mind becoming a blank, except for the form he was trying to take...

He was back in a small town, the same backpack and clothes on him, but a different look and face, that of a young boy, with the gi he had with him on his bodice. He bumped into a rather burly, pissed off looking man, and was knocked to his petard. He looked up at him, getting a good look at his height and frame. He only got a decent look at his face when he brought it close to his. "Watch where you're going, you little bastard! Unless you WANT me to kick your ass!" he threatened, glaring down at him. Prettz gazed at him, and laughed. The man was a bit taken by surprise, about to slew some more curses at him, then looking around and seeing several large farmers and peasants glaring at him the same way he was glaring at Prettz not a second ago. He blushed a deep red, embarrassed and helped Prettz up to his feet, apologizing quickly and thoughtlessly, going on his way, not peering behind him for a second. Prettz laughed, thinking it was funny that the man would beat up a child in the middle of a town after just bumping into him. Prettz nodded to the farmers and others, and got a smile and a nod back. One even threw an apple his way, as he giggled and bit into it. Delicious. He'll have to remember to come back here one day...

Prettz slowly began to form, his body growing taller, and his muscles growing younger and firmer. He was transforming into the man in his thoughts, over a matter of minutes! He felt his body, organs, mind, everything grow stronger, as he morphed into the rude man from the village he last visited.

29371.jpg

Prettz felt revitalized, stretching and groaning with a good feeling. He had forgotten how good it felt to be this age, having mostly been old and very young women and men, allowing him to slip by without suspicion mostly. Luckily, the gi he had was roomy enough to where he could be middle aged to young and still manage to plod along in it. He felt a breeze between his knees and shivered, also feeling some cold raindrops on his new body. He quickly got dressed into his black and gold gi, grabbing his backpack, which to his delight, felt much lighter on his back now. He grinned, moving forward down the road, not even caring about the bad weather over his head...

He kept walking, watching the view with mild interest, having never been here before. He smiled, seeing the trees and landscape, before he heard the sounds of hooves on dirt; a horse with a rather beauteous samurai riding it. His cheeks went red at the sight of her. "What a sight to behold..." he thought, smiling. He also saw a ratling and another samurai behind her, and another group farther behind them up the road. He bid the farther one's no mind, as he looked at the three ahead of him. "Ho! How fare you, m'lady samurai?" he said, sounding a bit awkward. "Whoops... Not really used to this voice." he realized. Still he stood to the side, allowing her to pass if she wanted to do so.

Ryoko was cursing inwardly! If those people wanted to follow a woman who obviously had no idea whom she was talking about, well--that was their own business! Of all the things--But the Nezumi coming and the Lion samurai as well? That soothed her somewhat and made her feel humbled. She should not have acted so rash, perhaps but there were people's lives at stake! She was trying to clear her head of the mental picture of a barren, burnt village and corpses everywhere. Do not think evil. Do not think evil lest the evil visit you.

"Ho! How fare you, m'lady samurai?"

Ryoko paused. The man was just standing there but how long had he been here? His words broke her out of her thoughts. "Much better if there was a way to get to Egami Mura faster." She had stopped her horse but she was still restless. "We're going to stop an attack and save lives."

"Oh no." Roppu thought inwardly as yet another distraction caught the Unicorn samurai's path, wincing slightly and preparing to see the wave of red and smell of blood that would be the samurai slicing the poor man in two and riding off... however... it never came. More shock came in the form of Ryoko actually speaking to the man involved! She looked up at Ryoko for a moment, then back to the man, eyes squinting at him for a moment. She sniffed at the air for a moment. "...Now that's a funny smell." Her whiskers twitched, but she shrugged it off.

She bites her lip nervously, looking ahead into the dark road... the night still passed slowly, and there was still so much to consider - so much had happened since that morning, and she was becoming... exhausted, even after the nap she had taken in the survivor camp. Still, they had a ways to go...

Her eyes were directly on the new male - not half bad looking, considering he was a hairless monster like the rest of them. Not as good looking as the foreigner from before - Japik - but still not bad. She would have said hello, or anything at all, but... it might be best to stay silent and feign slavehood for now, in case word got around of a nezumi traveling with samurai...

"Then allow me to accompany you. I know a shortcut or two to get there, having come from there at one point. Of course, I can carry my own weight if need be..." he said, looking up at the samurai with a respectful smile. "What has happened to endanger the good folk of Egami Mura?" he asked, concerned. He then turned to the Lion samurai and the ratling. He looked at Roppu, and smiled sincerely. He opened his mouth began to speak Nezumi. ''How fare you, friend?" he asked, bowing to the Nezumi girl.

Kiyoshi caught up with Ryoko and Roppu just before ho bowed to the latter... bowing to a spirit beast before a samurai?..... Kiyoshi scowled, "Greetings peasant." he said a hint of his anger showing through as he took a deep calming breath. "The enemy are bandits and they have already sowed destruction and killed many including my friend and one time brother of the sword, so I'd recommend you you lead us to Egami Mura without delay."

He refrained from adding the promise of a painless death should he not comply and simply turned to Ryoko. "You must prepare yourself, I don't know if we'll arrive in time and a samurai must always be in control no matter what lies before then."

He instantly picked up his agression in his tone, still smiling, taking it in stride. "Forgive me, noble samurai. I think it kind to introduce myself to the women. Please take no offense." he offered, giving a lower bow than usual. He, however, didn't like the eye he got when he bowed to the Nezumi. Nezumi are the same as humans, in his eyes, no better or worse. He agreed, nodding to Kiyoshi. "I'm sorry for your loss, exalted one. Let us make haste, so as not to subject others to your sorrow."

Ryoko patted her mount's neck. "I can promise nothing of control," she replied. She was eager to be on their way but she couldn't just trust anyone off the road, particularly when they didn't have time to play around. "Introduce yourself before you travel with us," she told Prettz. She urged her mount to start walking again. They had wasted enough energy dealing with the others. Her anger would be great and terrible if Egami Mura was destroyed and they did not have the chance to save it or the people and mounts who lived there.

Haruko smiled warmly at the two that had agreed to help her but watched quietly as the samurai rode away, followed by the ratling and another samurai (Or at least what she assumed was another samurai.)

Haruko quickly dried her tears and bowed deeply to the two that remained. "Thank you kind ones, it shall be a debt that I will repay to you both!" She said, her face practically in the dirt. As she rose she kept her head bowed to show proper respect to those of a higher station. I am no lower then them, curse this mission for making me have to do this...if the Unicorn Lands weren't so far I wouldn't have to ask anyone for defense!

"I must urge my noble lords to set out as soon as we can, the longer we wait the further those scoundrels get away!" Haruko frowned at the mention of the name, adjusting her kimono so it showed her body just enough to be persuasive but not enough to entice a further emotion.