Opinions on censoring teen games (speculation and debate)

• Thread starter KuroBuros The Infected
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the bottom line is that developers aren't interested in why audiences find material objectionable. They just care that they do. They're interested in making money, not raising societal commentary. That's up to the society to tackle.

Basically, it is our job to talk about whether something is okay.

In the meantime, entertainment-based media is going to censor things that seem like a magnet for bad press, because they want to sell copies. That's ALWAYS going to be a thing, no matter how loudly the vocal minority complains. And there will always be that vocal minority. Which isn't a bad thing, because it will either reinforce or begin to debunk society's stance on that particular more (that's mo-ray, not moor).

I definitely think they're concerned about the orientation-"fixing" as much as the date rape. Understandably so. That's not one but two unfortunate implications. And if they are, in fact, going to remove the option entirely, it's probably because they'd have to spend too much time altering her character's dialogue and interactions as compared to just taking that scene out. Remember, they're working on a budget.

It could be worse, guys. They could leave it intact and have the game not be localized at all due to questionable content.

The support is female and expressedly lesbian. When her drink is spiked, she falls in love with the (male) avatar.

Now, said character can obtain s-rank supports with other male characters (and none of the females) so that's telling of how seriously we should take her lesbian act (especially since avatar can take part in homosexual marriage) but the implication here is what's dodgy.

Should this be censored? By principal I'd say no, but I'm not gonna get angry about a bad support getting altered/removed to prevent the obvious shitstorm.
Yes, thank you! I was just about to add that the support was actually between the male avatar and a female character.

Aside from the drug reference, I think part of the issue was that the female character was supposed to be gay, and that drugging her was done 'change' her sexuality so she could fall in love with the male avatar, or something along those lines.

(Here are some actual articles on the issue for people who don't know)
Fire Emblem Fates Will Have "Controversial Dialogue" Changed In The West - Siliconera
Fire Emblem: Fates controversial scene removed from Western release

In this case I (personally) think the change was for the better. The game's gotten a lot of flack for some of the incesty relationships and how it handles gay relationships.
I don't believe in censorship, but I do think some of the original dialogues and choices in the game were in bad taste and could be improved upon rather than completely removed.
Thank you for the correction !!

Okay, allow me to clarify:

I am saying that conjecture as to why it doesn't sell well, when seen as a societal flaw as you have done when saying it is because "people are too sensitive" (am I incorrect here?) is more or less idle conjecture. Unless there are studies, surveys, or game makers themselves going "my art is being censored via localization" then I don't believe there is much more than personal conjecture.

Though if there are surveys, studies, and game designers themselves saying that other cultures are censoring their artwork and expressions, that's something else to discuss entirely.

I will admit I do apologize if I'm not understanding your point correctly.
Alright, thanks for that clarification.

I can agree with that.
Same. But simultaneously, considering they'd need to get the voice actors, writer, and approval, it isn't hard to see why removal is easier.
If it's like Awakening not really.
They just need to add some text, and add some of the grunting like noises that accompanies a lot of the dialogue.

Alright, thanks for that clarification.

I can agree with that.

They just need to add some text, and add some of the grunting like noises that accompanies a lot of the dialogue.
As someone who training to be a v.o actor... Walla AND Voice over is a pain in the ass.

As someone who training to be a v.o actor... Walla AND Voice over is a pain in the ass.
Can't they just use the same grunt noises from other dialogue?

I think it is generally safe to say that the company has likely thought this through a lot more than we have. If it were truly that easy, you'd generally assume they would have done it.

Reactions: Astaroth
I think it is generally safe to say that the company has likely thought this through a lot more than we have. If it were truly that easy, you'd generally assume they would have done it.
I know, but it's still worth discussing. :P

*giggles*, true enough. At the very least we will spite Grumpy.
ZlZDJXg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.