Opinions in Fandoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, I know. The number of people demanding a full ending for bit NPCs was staggering. The key word really is demand; the fact that so many people felt they had a right for their little fantasies that the developer has the obligation to fulfill was unbearable. I rarely ever saw anyone who expressed gratitude for the hard work put into the series and even it existing in the first place, it was always "I'm boycotting BioWare because they didn't give that green asari a fully fleshed out story even though she's literally an NPC you can choose to kill after five minutes of chatting."
And the thing is, when Bioware truly did make a mistake (ME3 ending) they actually came back and delivered. They really do try to listen to their fans and make people happy... But, by god do I feel bad for them dealing with such entitled brats on one side, and then a greedy publisher on the other.

Not even so much saying it doesn't appeal to you, I'm talking still being a fan, just not as big a fan.
Basically the how hardcore do you have to be before you call yourself a hardcore gamer, then?

A patronising "Oh my, that is very impressive, I aspire to be more like you." Tends to do the job. If you want to be more of a dick about it you can say; "A little silly question, I guess, but do you think I can fill the void of loneliness in my heart if I expand my backlog?" And if that fails there's always the classic; "Is it true your item level rises in negative correlation to your sex life?" I'm sure there's variations for anime circles out there.

tl;dr I don't get along these kinda people.

The key word really is demand
Honestly I think entitlement encompasses a much wider range than just fandoms. It's one of the premiere shitty people traits nowadays.

EDIT:
Eh. I see the whole "and you should too" thing thrown around on Tumblr a lot, and I wouldn't say it has a ton of weight to it. I don't think that someone adding that to a post necessarily means that that person isn't open to outside arguments.
Try putting something very unpopular on tumblr and add "and you should too" to the title. See how people react. Spoiler alert; not pretty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dervish
Basically the how hardcore do you have to be before you call yourself a hardcore gamer, then?

A patronising "Oh my, that is very impressive, I aspire to be more like you." Tends to do the job. If you want to be more of a dick about it you can say; "A little silly question, I guess, but do you think I can fill the void of loneliness in my heart if I expand my backlog?" And if that fails there's always the classic; "Is it true your item level rises in negative correlation to your sex life?" I'm sure there's variations for anime circles out there.

tl;dr I don't get along these kinda people.
A bit more tricky in a club, when it's 50/50 cool people and those kinds of people, and the two different types of people are friends.
And the hardcore kind only act that way some of the time, so comebacks like that (as awesome as they are) would just come across as picking a fight.

Hence why I just stopped showing up, wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with that shit. Especially when you're not taking classes at the campus at the time.

Honestly I think entitlement encompasses a much wider range than just fandoms. It's one of the premiere shitty people traits nowadays.

No argument there, but generally, the only ones that have interests that align with mine are fandoms, firearms, and paintball. At least in paintball it usually just boils down to the ancient tired debate of "woodsball vs. speedball" or "Eww, your DM is trash, my Ego is sooo much better than that", etc. Firearms are along the same line, although god forbid if you're a left-leaning individual like myself who joins a forum just to get updates on firearms legislature, people's opinions on products, and pictures of people's guns, because you will find yourself in a realm of turbo conservative single issue voters who think anything that isn't right wing is going to take their guns away/ ruin the country. And that's just a Canadian forum.

A bit more tricky in a club, when it's 50/50 cool people and those kinds of people, and the two different types of people are friends.
And the hardcore kind only act that way some of the time, so comebacks like that (as awesome as they are) would just come across as picking a fight.

Hence why I just stopped showing up, wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with that shit. Especially when you're not taking classes at the campus at the time.
I get that, TBH I mostly use those online. IRL I tend to stare at them for a second or two then roll my eyes and either change the subject or straight up ignore them to engage another person, depending on how much I otherwise like them. There's been times I couldn't keep my mouth shut and yeah, you can lose some friends over that. Or well, usually over the social manipulation that happens in the aftermath.

although god forbid if you're a left-leaning individual like myself who joins a forum just to get updates on firearms legislature, people's opinions on products, and pictures of people's guns, because you will find yourself in a realm of turbo conservative single issue voters who think anything that isn't right wing is going to take their guns away/ ruin the country. And that's just a Canadian forum.
Here's a fun fact, your left is still more similar to the Dutch right than our left.

Congregation of the masses, though, eh? Happens everywhere. Fun times.

Actually, "and disagree with the haters" gives a negative and dismissive connotation to people on the other side of the argument, whereas "and you should too" is an attempt at taking away people's agency to make their own decisions based on the information presented to them. Nitpick, perhaps, and sure you'll get less clicks when leaving it out, but if you want to do the entire thing right, well, there you go.
I think you're misreading my essay statement type topic as an ultimatum. The implication is "why I think you should too". Obviously I don't think she should condemn people for disagreeing; my point was that doing exactly that is her biggest issue.

I get that, TBH I mostly use those online. IRL I tend to stare at them for a second or two then roll my eyes and either change the subject or straight up ignore them to engage another person, depending on how much I otherwise like them. There's been times I couldn't keep my mouth shut and yeah, you can lose some friends over that.
That's what I usually did, but it kept coming up and it just took away from the fun I was having otherwise.
Or well, usually over the social manipulation that happens in the aftermath.
And this shit is the fucking worst. >.<

I get that, TBH I mostly use those online. IRL I tend to stare at them for a second or two then roll my eyes and either change the subject or straight up ignore them to engage another person, depending on how much I otherwise like them. There's been times I couldn't keep my mouth shut and yeah, you can lose some friends over that. Or well, usually over the social manipulation that happens in the aftermath.

Here's a fun fact, your left is still more similar to the Dutch right than our left.

Congregation of the masses, though, eh? Happens everywhere. Fun times.

Amusingly enough, people here observe that our right isn't too far from the US left.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I think you're misreading my essay statement type topic as an ultimatum. The implication is "why I think you should too". Obviously I don't think she should condemn people for disagreeing; my point was that doing exactly that is her biggest issue.
My post was meant to add, rather than argue. Textual communication is very prone to noise. My point was that you do not want to type that out literally if you want to come across as neutral.

My post was meant to add, rather than argue. Textual communication is very prone to noise. My point was that you do not want to type that out literally if you want to come across as neutral.
I wasn't trying to argue either, merely explain. "Why I ___ and you should too" is a common essay topic in American schools, so maybe this is a culture gap thing.

I wasn't trying to argue either, merely explain. "Why I ___ and you should too" is a common essay topic in American schools, so maybe this is a culture gap thing.
Speaking as a Canadian, the impression I get from that depends on the following context.
If it comes across more as a "Here's this cool thing I know about that's not well known, let me show you" then I'm fine with it.
If it comes across more as "Here's what you think, here's why it's wrong and you should change your view" I'm more likely to be annoyed by.

Speaking as a Canadian, the impression I get from that depends on the following context.
If it comes across more as a "Here's this cool thing I know about that's not well know, let me show you" then I'm fine with it.
If it comes across more as "Here's what you think, here's why it's wrong and you should change your view" I'm more likely to be annoyed by.
One of the things we had to learn in school was how to write a persuasive essay. The point was to write from the perspective of trying to change a person's mind about a topic; doing that by scare-tactics or bullying would get you a poor grade for obvious reasons. The point isn't to invalidate other views, but to give a well-reasoned argument for your own.

Yay school exercises :U

One of the things we had to learn in school was how to write a persuasive essay. The point was to write from the perspective of trying to change a person's mind about a topic; doing that by scare-tactics or bullying would get you a poor grade for obvious reasons. The point isn't to invalidate other views, but to give a well-reasoned argument for your own.

Yay school exercises :U
An exercise a lot of the world (including myself) could really use. XD

Reactions: Astaroth
Possibly. The internet is international, though. A lot of persuasion in common American culture I've witnessed strongly relies on addressing a sense of belonging, however. I'm quite opposed to this, because I see it as emotional blackmail. Perhaps that better explains my aversion to "and you should too."

And this shit is the fucking worst. >.<
I've not lost anyone particularly close to me over this. Generally I don't make fast friends with people who aren't sceptical and my style of communication is kind of the anti-thesis to social manipulation. Mostly because that was my forte as a teenager, so I know all the bullshit.

EDIT: Also, going majorly off-topic here. We might wanna jump back a tangent ;p

I've not lost anyone particularly close to me over this.
Friend wise me neither.
But my family is a big fan of causing drama over minor things so it's a mentality I see often.
my style of communication is kind of the anti-thesis to social manipulation.
*Appeals to not social manipulation*
*Gains brownie points*
*Realizes this could be a sneaky attempt at manipulation*

I'm watching you... :P

EDIT: Also, going majorly off-topic here. We might wanna jump back a tangent ;p
stay-on-target.jpg

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
See, there are good sides of fandom and bad sides of fandom.

The good side of fandom creates funny gifs and writes incredibly interesting fic or draws amazing fanart and has intelligent what-if discussions or critically dissects canon in a civil manner.

The bad side of fandom attacks people who don't agree with them and sees problems where they don't exist.

And sometimes those things mix.

If this girl had written the same article from a standpoint of "why I like Jacqui Briggs and disagree with the haters" or even "why I like Jacqui and you should too", it would have been fine. She actually makes some good points in there. Unfortunately she nukes all potential of the article by giving completely unfounded accusations about racism/sexism motivating the dislike for the character. She doesn't even try to back up what she's saying; she presumes the situation with no evidence. Even if it were true, the way she writes it shoots down all credibility.

I participate in fandoms, though it definitely doesn't define who I am. I'd argue that many people participate in fandoms even if they don't call it that due to the negative connotations. I like to think I'm part of the good side. But I've definitely had more than one brush with the bad side- which invariably seems to derive from people taking their favorite characters/shipping way too fucking seriously.
large.gif

Hugs for you dear! I absolutely agree with you! Also you forgot to mention that accusing people who don't care for Jacqui of racism/sexism makes no damn sense whatsoever because people complain ALL THE DAMN TIME about the ninjas yet they aren't accused of those things. Also I don't see anyone calling Kung Jin haters homophobic since he happens to be gay.

As for taking shipping way too seriously, I've seen artists who are afraid to draw fanart of Kung Jin being shipped with Cassie or any other female character (yes people do ship them) because of the possible backlash they may get. Also there's the Jacqui x Takeda pairing. While I do indeed like the pairing, some people seem to only focus on their racial identities rather than their characters and get WAY too defensive of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.