Operation: POLAR STAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MIG dipped, swerved and then collided with the massive trees and stripped themselves of their blades, a massive explosion going off in the distance.
"GRENADE OUT!!!" Ford roared into his throat microphone, stripping a frag from his MOLLE rig and waiting two entire seconds before throwing the fragmentation grenade directly at the remaining Russians. "граната!!!!!!!" (GRENADE!!!!!!!) yelled a Russian, who attempted to jump on the grenade to save his friends. However, ford had cooked the grenade- the fragmentations shot out faster than the speed of sound before the Russian even got close to the grenade. Meat chunks and chest rigs explouded out, caking the area in black, metal shards and blood. One Russian was crawling across the dirt, seriously injured. He drew his pistol, but dropped it behind him as he crawled away. His limbs were all attached, but the Russian obviously had broken a leg or something from the explosion or force of the fragmentation rounds.
Ford waked to the Russian, gun raised. The seasoned veteran kicked the man over, stripping off his ammo, communications and grenades. All the while, the young Russian stayed still and compliant, begining to cry.
"Get out of here you little fuck"
The Russian attempted to wipe away his tears, but obviously wasn't eager about rapidly moving his hands.
"мои ноги....они больно! прошу, не убить меня американский! Я был призван из школы, у меня не было никакого контроля!" (my legs...they hurt! please, dont kill me american! I was conscripted out of schooling, I had no control! )
"we really need a translator. I have no idea what the fuck he is saying" he then kicked the teenager in the ass, prompting him to crawl into the forest.
Ford looked at the ammo, radio communication ear piece, grenades and pistol. Without hesitation, he shot the pistol and the magazines. He took the grenades and placed them in his dump pouch on his hip...might come in handy.
He considered shooting the radio set- but then instead broke it with his hands and threw the pieces at the Russian.
"It's yours if you can fix it. I trust that you don't know what the hell I'm saying, so I guess it's best off to be nice to you...you're lucky kid."

Ponce was still for a moment, Sanchez was gone, and there was no going back. He saw the blood over the copter, it disturbed him, made his body shake, but only for a moment. He focused himself so that he could do what needed to be done. Shortly after Ace went in to get his ammo, Ponce followed. As he entered the crash, he saw a destroyed vessel, the thing that took him to this god forsaken wasteland covered in a veil of white pure snow. Now that pure snow was laced with red and black... He entered the cargo hold and grabbed some ammunition for his M82, he sat there for a moment, observing the area. He quickly joined up with Ford and Ace, preparing both his main weapon and side weapon (M82 and Desert Eagle).

However upon approaching his fellow rangers, they were placed under attack. He was not close enough to the trees to get cover, however he did hide behind some of the wreckage. They were being attacked. He was at a distance, and it didn't seem as though the soldiers dropping from the approaching russian helicopter had noticed him. He quickly set up his sniper rifle while the attack ensued, making sure he paid close attention to what was going on over the radio. He reported in during the middle of the assault "Sniper ready." He aimed it carefully and noticed a single soldier coming from behind Ace and Ford. His rifle fully prepped, he took a deep breath and focused, pulled the trigger. The bullet traveled across the distance and penetrated the soldiers' head, instant death. "One down." However before he knew it, the helicopter was down and Ford had tossed a grenade, explosions ensued.

Reactions: Maddeline
"Good kill, Ponce. It's hard not to notice that thing when it fires...actually it's sound wave bruised my neck a little" Ford said, rubbing the side of his neck. The M82 fired the mighty fifty caliber bullet so fast that even if it didn't touch you it would leave it's mark. Either ringing ears or bruised skin from the displaced sound wave. Hell, the M82's noise could disrupt IEDs that used electronics.
"We need to get to the other helicopter...it did set down after all...I think our boys over there should be fine" Commented Ford, pointing off to a faint smoke trail. The engine was probably damaged by the bullet fire but it was close enough to the other helicopters that the combined flares probably saved them from two sets of IGLA heat-seekers.
"Fucking Russians knew we were coming man...patrols don't carry anti-air missels , especially when the Ukrainians only have about fifteen attack helicopters and two fighter jets...no, this was meant for us. Fifteen bucks says the fucking White House knows why. The Director of Defense or the Generals or whoever...they are hiding something. I bet they wanted us to die in that crash to give a reason to get involved in the invasion and pick a fight with Russia...I mean, fuck we did that with...ugh, what, Vietnam? The Spanish American war or whatever the fuck it was?"

Ace rubbed his ear slightly to cure the ringing, caused by ponce's M82 round. He scanned their surroundings with his rifle making sure that they were clear. "This is bullshit man, but there's not much we can do about it here. We need to get to our boys and see if they're alright. One step at a time then we can start piecing together what the hell is going on." Ace checked his rifle then his camo. He had switched out his usual urban camo for a white and grey winter camo. Once he found all of his weapons and gear were still good to go he turned to ford and waited for instructions. "What's the call?"

Keeping a straight face during the entire attack, Ponce sniffled a bit, the cold had gotten to his nose at least. He slowly got up when he was told the cost was clear and began to walk towards Ace and Ford. After a few minutes, he was with them again. As he approached he noted the smoke trail Ford had mentioned.

"I don't know... There are hundreds of ways to get an excuse to go to war with a country. Why assault a squad of Rangers? Why throw your best soldiers to die? It's a good cause... but I don't know... I don't like to assume." Ponce pondered out after rejoining Ford and Ace.

Reactions: Maddeline
Without even questioning further (orally, anyway) Ford trudged through the frosty ground. Bits of foliage proposed itself as a hiding spot, which Ford always glanced towards in cance something bad happened so he would have a way to go.
"I have a plan...let's not come there from a straight line. Let's go a mile down and then go across to the helicopter...in case the Russians are there, we don't want to be caught off guard...plus we could sneak up on them"

"Ponce has got a point. If the U.S government wants to go to war with a country, then why would they throw their best out as bait. That doesn't exactly add up to me. On the other side of things, it does strike pretty hard that the Russian's knew where we'd be and when we'd be there. They go that information somehow, whether it be from a rat in the system or they got spies on the inside. Either way, we got thrown into a real shit storm; and I don't think we've hit the belly of the beast just yet." Ace was more trying to throw anything out to his group to see if anything made sense to either of them though he doubted it. Once Ford gave the orders, he silenced himself and followed Ford into the icy grounds looking around for any signs of snipers or scouts. They were in enemy territory and they had now idea how deep. Adam didn't exactly have plans on getting killed out in the middle of nowhere.

After only about fifty feet of walking, Ford uncovered a road.
He took his helmet off and turned his head sideways, aiming at the sky.
"I hear a vehicle...not a lot of power and it sounds small....get ready!" Ford said, crouching down on one knee.
He raised his MK16, and glared down his sight- not flinching or moving even a single degree...the roar was hilly, uneven and muddy...giving a real trouble for the vehicle to be seen unless it was 300 feet from them.

Adam pulled his sniper rifle and adjusted the scope to the correct readings fo rthis situation. He had been in enough situations to know just about where to dial his scope right on the spot. He crouched a few meters left of Ford and looked down his scope. He could make out a small Humvee in the distance with it's headlights turned off. He couldn't tell how many people were inside from this distance though or if anyone way armed. "Got a humvee, about 700 meters and closing that's about all I can get from this distance. What's the call Ford?" Ace kept his rifle aimed around where he thought the engine of the vehical should be.

"They aren't going fast- they are curious...they're probably civilians...they might give us a ride to the helicopter...any of us speak Russian?" the situation was risky, but the Humvee appeared to be a solid color and not extremely long for troop transport- if the occupants were armed, they were probably gang members or enforcers of some kind operating in the area- or just concerned citizens. One or the other. Either way, this was not a preferable situation- Ford would have rather stolen a vehicle or killed the drivers; whichever proved easiest for the mission.
"Cover me"
Ford stepped out in front of the road, and slung his rifle over his back. He held a hand out, for the vehicle to slow down.
The Humvee did, in fact, slow down....
Suddenly, tactical figures emerged from the vehicle- but they weren't in military gear. They had full black gear sets and dark green helmets. These soldiers were police.
"ты американский?" (are you American?)
"yes, American. Our helicopter was shot down...we could use a ride!" Ford used brash hand motions to show what he meant and was trying to signal to the police officers.
The police had their guns very low and in fact seemed excited to see the American...some shaking their heads in approval and beginning to speak in what seemed to be gibberish to the Ranger, who only knew Spanish and English.

Ace swapped out his rifle for his M16 and made sure he kept Ford covered "check right" he called out letting Ford and ponce know that he was covering the right side. He left Ponce to cover the left as Ford went forward toward the Humvee.

As the vehicle came to a slow then to a halt, Ace aimed his rifle at the vehicle's driver as he stepped out and moved toward them. He let Ford do the talking and he just focused on making sure none of them caught a bullet, though when Ford and the Russians started talking he wasn't sure they needed to worry too much about it. They didn't look like standard Russian Military, maybe a small force or something.

After a few moments of random sounding gibberish from the Russians and some form of sign language from Ford, Ace guessed that he had gotten his point through to them somehow. Ace didn't know any Russian outside of "
yes" and, "no" but he knew that these didn't seem like they were hostile to them and that was translatable in any language

"Guys! You can come out now! These gentlemen mean is no harm. They are friendly!" Ford called out, making a sweeping hand motion.
The Russians took off the back of their soft-top humvee revealing seats for four people.
"Alright, luxury seats. Too bad I get car sick in the back, but hey...beggars can't be choosers!" Ford commented, waiting for his squad mates to form up by the vehicle.

Ponce stopped himself from adding more to the conversation, any more talk about this really bothered him, at least right now. The situation they were in was not the most ideal one. He followed his brothers out until Ford heard a vehicle nearby. Seeing that Ace already had Ford's left covered, Ponce covered the right, preparing his Desert Eagle, not the most ideal weapon but he wasn't going to shoot his M82 at this close a range. He watched as Ford was talking to the owners of the vehicle, they seemed harmless enough to him. "Careful Ford..." he whispered to himself.

Ford gave them the all clear, so he put away his firearm and moved out towards the vehicle. He got into the back seat without question and gave an elongated sigh. "So... What now?"

"I believe these gentlemen will take us to the other helicopter...the way they have said words close to 'Amarikan' several times leaves me to believe that they may have already seen the other regiment. I hope that is the case, as it won't be too long until another Russian MIG or jet will come and check in on the original search team which is all dead except for one wounded kid crawling through the forest"
As Ford said this, the officer got in the Humvee and made a turnabout off the side of the barely visible road, leaving the back exposed for the soldiers to climb in. The Russian police made sure to keep their weapons very low and not to make sudden twitches so that the rangers wouldn't deem them a threat. They head seen the smoke and heard the explosion, and concerned that it was a missile strike, they investigated the impact area. The Crimean and Ukrainian military were 'holding' the line at the borders but were spread too thin and Russians were crossing in certain areas on a regular basis, leaving the home front up for the police to protect. Civilians were losing homes, jobs and family members from the conflict. Not to mention those that were taking advantage of the situation by attacking the police or pretending to be unarmed and trying to kill off Russian soldiers. The invasion was very dirty on all fronts, it seemed. No one being the 'bad' guy, all in nuetral grey lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
"You sure we can trust them ford? I mean they don't look hostile but do we really know that they won't smoke us or drop us to the Russians?" Said Ace as he climbed into the Humvee next to ponce. He made sure to keep his voice low so that only ford could hear him. He didn't know if they spoke English or not and he wasn't risking it, as far as either side knew; they were divided by language and objectives. Both creating enough of a divide that either could practically be called blind to the other.

Ace made sure to remain calm on the outside but he wouldn't dare put the safety on his gun. These weren't rangers so they couldn't be trusted. He just wanted to get a ride to the other crash site and they go their Separate ways.

"They could have killed me- I figure that we can trust them for a brief car ride" Ford said, clambering in on the backseat.
"Yo! ponce! Let's go!" Ford called out, patting his own helmet. He closed his eyes and let it all sink in...
He was still alive.
He was lucky.
But alive.

Ponce shrugged, in the back of the Humvee with Ford and Ace, alive and well. He didn't know what to make of the situation. He just wanted to focus on something, some goal. So he decided he would just focus on getting to the helicopter, that's all that mattered. Getting to the helicopter... The helicopter... alive... "Well... Hopefully we can get to the heli without any more interruptions, eh?" he said with a slight smirk, cradling his sniper rifle a bit.

"Lets get the show on the road....amen, Ponce." he held a thumbs up, and the officer began to move he Humvee.
The vehicle went towards the other smoke trail, the soldiers experiencing a five minute drive, and as it pulled up it revealed a sight for sore eyes. Living American troops.
"looks like our brothers and sisters didn't die afterall"

Sitting in the Humvee, in the rather short five minute drive that it took, he got to thinking. Why was he out here, sure he was following orders, and yeah he understood why their superiors would send them to this area, but why were they here, why was this war going on. Everything that was going on with Russia happened so quickly, it was mind boggling. "What am I doing... Why did I ever take this job... A Ranger... I could be working safely at home, at my family's business, but no... I had to accept the invitation as a Ranger..." he then paused for a moment... Thinking about back when he got the invitation, how honored he was...

"That's right... I had to accept it. I wouldn't let myself miss out on this... This was my decision and I have t follow through, for my sake. For my family's sake, for my countrymen's sake, and for the sake of my brothers in arms... So I'll stay here, with them, until this is all done and over with. Until I can go home and know that I have done all I could."

Once they finally were getting close to the copter, Ponce couldn't help but give off a wide smile, "Well would ya look at that. Looks like we weren't the only unlucky bastards that got stuck out here. Thank god they're alive."

The Russian officers waved at them all, and then parked the car for the rangers to disembark.
"How was the landing?"

"Just peachy" responded a sergeant who was making a roster of who was alive and dead.
"You all were helicopter two, right? Oh hell I don't even give a shit anymore. Everyone in the first helicopter died on impact...or before impact...we have one wounded by bullet fire, and she is our pilot..." the sergeant said, staring into Brody's eyes.
"Well boys, let's see if we can help out!" Ford called out, disembarking from the vehicle. The other rangers were getting on hills and looking out across the area, as well as loading up magazines and checking weapons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.