Operation Hallifax: Prologue

Venris held his leg and checked it, as the others attempted to cross the pit. It didn't seem broken from what he could see, then again he wasn't a medic. He attempted to prop himself up against the rocky wall, and grabbed the rope the others had lowered for them. "Do you want to go up first, Cain?"

several hours later

along with the now rather wounded Venris and Cain, you follow the map for what seems like hours, eventually coming to a door, blasted open from the inside.

you step over the ruined door and survey the surrounds, above the door are the symbols "XVII" although graffiti inr ed paint......or blood, marks this as the entrance to The Shatters.

as you look through the door, you see the bodies of guardsmen litter the floor, most missing limbs and deathly pale, though with the sheer amount of blood that is by now congealed, in fact, your not even sure you can see the stone floor under all the blood.

that fact is unnerving in and of itself, but you press on.

Map of the Shatters
Gorgonidmines.jpg

Gentlemen, the ball is in your court, you tell me where you move to (from the little entry room at the bottom of the map), with paint or by description, and if you come across something such as an ambush/event/whatever, I'll do my thing and let you know.

albino_silas_by_Lady_Poltergeist.jpg

They should have torched this place years ago... torn down the tunnels and burnt every festering disease-ridden soulless mutant in this underworld.

Yet the bastard governors tolerated their stink... because they brought up the best ore. They thought that tolerance was a fair price to pay for precious minerals.

But they would pay with much more before this thing was through. Just like these soldiers who littered the ground. They woud pay dearly.

Crayborne stepped slowly between the tapestry of gore, his boots falling either side of cadavers and entrails, black leather becoming caked in red. The slapping sounds of wet flesh echoed around the tunnels, and the smell... it almost blinded him. He felt himself swimming in a choking sea, his senses overwhelmed by the tangible hide of death.

With his shotgun braced, pointing the bayonet light ahead, the Arbitrator led the way, moving more cautiously than before. He kept to the left of the tunnel with his shoulder brushing the wall.

He could see a doorway on the left. He stopped short of it, pressing himself against the wall and waiting for the others.

They should've burnt it all.

[Crayborne is in the left-hand square
just before the left doorway]​

Guilliman followed after the arbitrator, using his staff to push corpses aside as he walked. The smell was sickening but had to be endured, there would be far worse horrors ahead. SO many of the faithful had fallen here because of the governor's inattention. He should have kept the workers in their place and kept their numbers down, or better yet kept them fighting amongst themselves and how they where all paying the price. It was a waste of time, such rebellions kept the emperor's servants from the truly important tasks.

He almost walked into the back of Crayborne and stopped looking past the arbitrator into the blackness.. There was a branch off to their right and he shined his illuminator down it but saw nothing. He hated this place, the opressive darkness and endless tunnels, but this was where he had been chosen to come and he had to serve.

[Guilliman isd one square down from Crayborne and looking to the right down the tunnel]

With Guilliman and Craybourne takign up positions either side of the door, and Cain and Venris still suffering from their falls, it fell to Quinlan to kick in the door, which comes off its hinges suprisingly easy, flakes of rust cast into the air by the door's impact against the stone floor.

As you enter, you see the room is empty but for an overturned steel desk, behind which you hear a low whimper.

cautiously you advance, weapons drawn and at the ready, and suddenly the whimper goes quiet, and you hear the sound of a trembling hand pulling a revolver;s hammer back

"d-don come any closer filthy heretic scum, I-I'm warning you, emperor as my witness I'll g-gut your filthy hides quick as lightnin" a wavering young man's voice emenates from behind the table, and guard issue helmet pokes out over the top edge of the table, you see that the helmet bears a white stripe along the helmet, denoting the guardsman as an ill trained conscript, untested and untried, much like yourselves.

"y-your not mutants......who are you?" the boy demands, his face and revolver sticking out over the edge of the table, the weapon shaking in his hands.

you judge the boy to be no older than 16, one of many cadet-soldiers raised from the planetary defence force training regiments and put into active service against the rebellion.

++
What do you do?
++

Quinlan aimed at the boy, to get a good look at him with the illuminator, he looked over at the other acolytes, he hid the fear of what they would be facing when he realized he'd expressed it in his face. They should've burnt it all down the first change they got, but then again, he'd probably be somewhere worse instead. He moved his hand to scratch his nose, some of the dust was getting to his nose.

"We're with the inquisition" he said, renewing his grip on the shotgun, "What happened to the rest of your squad?" he inquired, swiftly moving to the side of the table and pointing his gun at the young recruit.