([ Open ]) By Virtue of Unity: Convection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still around, AAB?

I'm in agreement with regard to the character description via text (it is my favorite method), though I recall somebody writing that they would rather not go that route.

As I wrote previously, I'll likely be writing a character sheet from scratch based upon the preferences we come up with here. Dee's offered sheet, while helpful, does not cover all of the qualities in the characters that I feel are relevant to this particular kind of roleplay.

Would we rather roleplay in real-time using the cbox system or via more verbose posts in the forum?
What sort of plots might we enjoy getting involved in?

I'm still around. I'm busy though, so I haven't been collaborating on this lately.
I've never done a real-time roleplay (at least not since I was a kid on neopets) but am willing to try.

• Thank You
Reactions: SamIO
My native roleplaying environment is in real time (MU*, IRC, et cetera), but the logistics of actually maintaining a regular schedule can be quite tedious — that's one of the advantages of forums; we don't have to plan individual sessions. I reckon it's better to keep to the forums in this case, personally, but I know very well the smoothness and verisimilitude that comes with writing a scene in a reactionary mode rather than a contemplative one.

Any preferences regarding tone/genre? Ought we go more pulpy or more dramatic? Something resembling slice-of-life or something emphasizing the technology elements? Political or action?

I may not be able to participate in this roleplay. I'm sorry. I've suddenly become much busier and realize I can't commit myself to any more, even though I've been interested in this one for so long.

It's all good. Such is the nature of life. ;3
I hope all goes well, AAB.

Sorry life got a bit hectic but now that high school is practically done for me we can continue moving forward. Hmm... As for what genre, I suppose it can be slice of life if we really want to deal with most of the drama that the characters have. Not knowing how the future world would be can also determine whether or not it has action. I don't really know what pulp fiction is so I really can't put my say on that.

Pulp fiction is basically every spaghetti western ever. It's when over-the-top action is status-quo. Lots of badbutts and good-guy-always-wins.

oh so thats what it is. Well what would you like the genre to be?

I'm more sensitive to the dramatic genres, myself; I find pulp to be a bit overzealous. I've had mixed feelings about the roleplay's nature — with regard to the slice-of-life/science fiction duality. I wonder if the sociopolitical end could be served by some reasonable amount of action, but that's another bit of indecision on my part, hence my suggesting we figure it out here.

It can stay a slice of life in nature since our characters will have some things against each other.

Nope. :3
But I can certainly see how it might seem that way.

I meant Convection, in this case referring to that of the metaphorical 'undercurrent of humanity,' a symbol I use often in poetry. Convection describes the rollercoaster of emotions that characterize invested relationships, and also the tendency for the positive to win out over the negative in this context.

Ah. I though it might have been a typo or something.

Welp, carry on then.

Hmm if we do go with slice of life how would they end up in the future?

It'd still be science fiction in context; going the slice-of-life route just describes how the plot focuses on character relationships rather than technological or action themes.

The premise behind this particular roleplay is the cryostasis trope, in which the characters' deaths were reversed by superior medical knowledge centuries after they'd perished.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think slice of life would really work since each character will be highly upset with someone else. Especially if the problems were complex and had a lot of depth.

This RP has been taking very long to get anything settled. I've turned down a lot of opportunities to keep a spot open for it. If its not up within a week then I'm going to bail.

Alrighty. :3

As it looks right now, I imagine the roleplay will take quite a while to get going. I've got to reacquire a player-base and adjust to their preferences, which should hopefully be less time-consuming now that I've gotten a bit of social networking going on here. But as we've seen already, just hashing out expectations for an undersized party is time-consuming enough to likely signal that additional players may lead this to be in the planning stage for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.