Only the Best of Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Bye." Zane said as he raised a hand up to his cheek. Sure the two had exchanged friendly kisses before, but this one felt different to him. He didn't know it consciously, but something had sparked within him. He walked inside his house and was immediately found by his mom.

"Zane, what happened to you?" Zane's mom asked as she fussed over his cuts, bruises, and bandages.

"I got caught up in a scuffle at school, ma." Zane replied nonchalantly.

"Are you telling me the truth? I don't want to have to ask Casey about it."

"I am. And dad would be congratulating me if he were around." Zane walked over to his room and set his stuff on the floor.

"I know, sweetie. He would be proud to see you with your 'battle scars'" Zane's mom said as she walked into the living room, Zane following soon after.

The rest of the night passed by like usual, with idle chatter continuing on through dinner until Zane went to bed. His last thoughts before going to bed were about what he was going to do about the football team.

Casey's might went normal as her, she went through the same normal routine, but in the morning was woken up earlier then normal. After she quickly showered and changed into her outfit for the day: a pair of blue jean short shorts and a white, baggy band tank top and high top converse, Casey grabbed her bag and walked down the stairs.

She quickly grabbed her car keys and hopped into her car, driving over to Zane to pick him up. As she waited in her car, she sat listening to music and strolling through her Facebook newsfeed.

Zane rushed out of his house, nearly oversleeping once again, still putting on his white t-shirt. He made it to the car with his shirt on and got in.

"I really need to fix my alarm. I almost didn't wake up this time." Zane said, his breathing heavier than usual. He seemed to be clutching his chest, one of the locations he got badly bruised.

"I can have my brother fix it for you if you want. I'm going to take you to the doctor before school okay?"she said, not giving him much of a choice. Casey quickly drove them towards the doctors where she forced Zane to go in so they could see why he was breathing heavy and examine all of his bruises and cuts.

Casey waited beside Zane, probably more nervous than Zane was. She took a small breath and grabbed a hold of Zane dangling hand and intertwined it with her fingers as she waited for the doctors to come see Zane.

"So you said your brother is in town? How has he been?" Zane asked as a nurse came by and called for him. Zane got up and was examined by the doctor.

Casey waited outside the room until the doctors said she could come in. She sat down beside Zane quietly and waited for them to tell them what was wrong with Zane.

"According to our x-rays, none of your bones are broken. However, five of your ribs are bruised, so that means no intense activities that would cause heavy breathing. Also, we will need you to come by in a week to make sure that the bones are healing," the doctor stated, giving a bit of advice to Zane.

"Thanks, doc." Zane replied before turning to Casey. "Now let's get to school. I don't want to be late two days in a row."

Casey rolled her eyes and hopped up, helping Zane out to her car. She waited for him to buckle up before she began driving. As she pulled into the parking lot and walked with him into the school, they made their way to their first class, and Casey was so glad that it was Friday and they had the weekend ahead of them.

Fridays were always special for Zane. They were the days in which there were no classes, only clubs. And for Zane, there was only one club that mattered. He made his way down the "Arts Hall" and into the band room, where everyone else immediately attempted to check up on him in a motherly fashion.

"I'm fine guys. I don't have any broken bones." He said every time someone asked how he was. The day was pretty easy for him, and it was no surprise that he didn't attend the football practice that was scheduled that Friday. At the end of one of the band's songs, Mr. Provost came over and told him that he wanted Zane to play the next Friday at the school assembly.

"Okay, Mr. P. I can do that no problem." Zane responded upon being told the aforementioned. Not long after that, the lunch period started, and he immediately made his way to find Casey.

Casey's morning passed very quickly, and soon enough it was the lunch hour. Although she had spend her entire morning drawing or doing art, which whom she saw the new guy again in, she couldn't help but think about Zane and worry about how bad he had gotten hurt. Yes, she had bruises and cuts on her too, but she was nothing compared to her best friend.

As Casey made her way inside the lunch room and towards the familiar table that her and Zane sat at nearly everyday, she plopped down on her side and sat back with a sigh? Waiting on Zane

Zane turned to look at Casey and simply asked, "So how did your art stuff go?"

"Great,"Casey said smiling."And your music?"she asked curiously. She had never actually heard Zane play his cello. Every time she started to listen, he would stop playing. Although Casey understood, because she was the same with her art, she would still like to hear her best friends passion.

"I enjoyed myself plenty. Everyone else was asking how I was doing, too." Zane replied, taking a bite out of his generic school lunch.

"Well how are you doing?"she asked with a chuckle. Casey watched him eat a bit before she finally took a bite out of her school sandwich. She looked around the lunch and found the new boy once again staring at her. She looked at Zane for a moment."Do you mind if he comes to sit with us?"she asks.

"I'm doing fine, and I don't mine at all." Zane replied before flagging down the new guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.