Only Light in the Dark (Accepting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantasy isn't even a mood, it's a lifestyle. *Stares at poster of a map of Skyrim* It's life-consuming.

I tend to read/watch/consume only fantasy, scifi, and horror. I mean, I live in the real world, I don't want to read too much about it.

I used to read the Harry Potter books often, but I haven't since the last one came out. I'm binging on oldschool science fiction (Heinlein and Niven all the way, baby) and Stephen Hunter books.

However, if you guys like fantasy, I HIGHLY reccomend the The Deed Of Paksenarrion trilogy by Elizabeth Moon. The trilogy is honestly the best fantasy series I have ever read, ever. It takes place in a medieval inspired setting - imagine Middle Earth, except with mercenary companies who are hired out by warlords to battle each other for land. Paksenarrion is one of these mercenaries (and she's also one of my favourite badass characters ever) and... well, to give anything else away would ruin the magic (DON'T READ THE BACK OF THE COVER BECAUSE SPOILERS).

They're great. Read them. Thank me later when you finish the last book, sit and contemplate for five minutes, and then pick the first book up again because you just don't want to leave the world.

One should note that they aren't really high fantasy, despite being classified as such. Magic rarely comes into play in the books; it exists, but isn't available to the average joe, and wizards are really expensive to hire.

(There are also two follow up books that take place post trilogy, but I haven't read them yet, so I can't comment on them)
Heinlen? Heck yeah! My dad used to read me his books before bed when I was little (he is a huge nerd, which I am grateful for). Have you read Saturnalia and A Lion on Thartee by Grant Callin? I have fond memories of those.

Heinlen? Heck yeah! My dad used to read me his books before bed when I was little (he is a huge nerd, which I am grateful for). Have you read Saturnalia and A Lion on Thartee by Grant Callin? I have fond memories of those.
I have not; however, knowing my dad, if they are science fiction, they're probably in the basement somewhere. We have probably around 2000 books in the basement. I've nicked most of the Heinlein, Bujold, Niven and H. Harrison.

If you want a big guy to read, I highly recommend Footfall and Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Both are great books. They write together beautifully. Basically, you're introuduced to a whole bunch of characters, and then watch those characters react to a world changing event. The characters are anything from the President of the USA, a robber, some normal middle class people, a serial rapist... actually, one of my favourite characters is a fricking mailman. The mailman is such a cool character. Just... just read them, if you like hard as nails science fiction.

Reactions: Indabayou
Womp.. I havent really read any books for pleasure since graduating high school. These days its usually textbooks- otherwise I'm out socializing because staying indoors for 23 hours a day is probably not the healthiest thing for your body...

Womp.. I havent really read any books for pleasure since graduating high school. These days its usually textbooks- otherwise I'm out socializing because staying indoors for 23 hours a day is probably not the healthiest thing for your body...
Never stopped me :3

I'm working on music for a game jam right now. My friend entered a 72 hour make-a-videogame-jam and he's hired me on for tunes. Gotta write 4 songs in 72 hours.

Well good luck then Fugue.

I wouldn't be able to go outside even if I wanted to because of all this snow everywhere. It was just sudden and bloomp, snow on the ground.

I think that it was a terrible idea to start a roleplayer during finals/that time of year. I also believe that it was a terrible coincidence that my computer is currently... Out of commission around the same time. Together, it seems that it became the downfall of this RP. Perhaps starting it up at a later time when so many of us are not so inconvenienced would result in actually beginning this.

So does that mean this is closing down? Or just being super postponed?

Okie doke, just making certain just in case. Depending on how things go I may have to drop out (school things as usual, but now on top of that my stepdad needs major surgery in two weeks. This year continues to poo all over my family :/ )

I'm thinking of making a group and keep up interest in it just to see how the world would work and any character stuff or pre-rp back story thing

I'd be down for a group. I think this idea is super cool, but yeah, I've got finals fast approaching and I'm jobhunting so... not the best time. I hope everything gets better for you, Inda.

Reactions: Indabayou
If you ever do manage to un-postpone it, I would also be interested in this RP.

I'll probably still be around if you start this again later

Status
Not open for further replies.