Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Supernatural, Horror
gLb1089.jpg

What's in a word?

Nothing but a group of different sounds put together to create something new, something intelligible.
And from this understanding sprouts inspiration for creativity!

Sometimes it takes only one word to create a spark!

What does the following word bring to your mind?

Vicissitude

Hmm. I imagine we are allowed to post responses within these thread-types, yes? If not, say no more and I shall remove my post. Though on the chance it is allowed, well...

Admittedly, I had to research the word; though my initial thoughts brought to mind scissors (splitting, perhaps) and attitude. Perhaps a reference to a division of attitudes or mindsets? I suppose I wasn't.... Well, still off the mark. Still, here we go:

Someone... I'll dub them "Fortune." This person is of good company, having made a name for their self as an amicable being. Their future, while no doubt ever uncertain, is focused enough that a path is in sight. Betterment is slowly but surely coming Fortune's way given the freedom their income provides. Fantasy is becoming real, life turning for the better.

In belief of the promise of further spiritual, physical, and mental fulfillment, Fortune decides to take the next step in progression. To open their self to further possibilities, through confrontation of inner demons. To face darkness, not abjectly swallow the black, and expel it. Only Fortune underestimated their old sins. Facing them once more, after spending such a time hiding their self from such monsters, was far too great a task.

Fortune, in recognition of their failure, withdrew into their self. Not only were they unable to face their demons, but that same fear and weakness bled into every aspect of Fortune's core. Suddenly money was a restriction, the once path replaced with forest, former company now filled with pointed disdain. Fantasy is becoming pain, life turning for the worse.

I've had a story planned for sometime, of Epic length, that lines up with these generalized circumstances (though if I'm being honest, most of my stories pan out rather dimly).

My apologies if this wasn't the intended format of response. I could try again if so, or perhaps delete this should it be an issue? Even so, it's always an experience to expand one's vocabulary :)

• Love
Reactions: Jill and Greenie
My apologies if this wasn't the intended format of response. I could try again if so, or perhaps delete this should it be an issue? Even so, it's always an experience to expand one's vocabulary :)
Your entry was perfectly fine! The whole intention behind the prompt is to inspire, after all, be it a story, a plot, or the first thing that popped into your mind! :bsmile:

• Thank You
Reactions: A.O. Taku
This bring to mind a whole plot involving one who wins big in a single winner mega-lottery prize, perhaps 250 million dollars. This person wasn't a regular lottery player but had on a whim bought a ticket since the winnings had climbed so high.

The series of events to follow such a landslide win and the people that would enter, and leave their life as a result would be the bulk of the story, as well as the hard lessons such experiences would inevitably teach.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
Rain fell in heavy drops as people scurried through the streets of Rythsgaard trying to reach their destinations without getting too soaked. The Grey Griffon Inn, while a fairly popular establishment, was busier than usual thanks to the inclement weather. The wonderful aroma of well prepared food drifted out from the kitchen causing mouths to water. The sound conversation filled the air as adventurers and locals traded tales over drinks. All in all the atmosphere of the inn was quite pleasant with no signs of growing rowdy. People seeking a more rough and tumble experience quickly found that the staff, and most of the patrons, were more than capable of tossing them out before anything got too out of hand.

Off in a quiet corner sat a tall elf dressed in travel stained clothing that had seen better days. Long, silver hair spilled haphazardly about his head and down over his shoulders having a clearly unkempt look to it. His normally brilliant blue eyes had a slightly glazed look to them as they stared vacantly down at the half full mug that sat before him on the polished wooden surface of the table he was sitting at. There were bags under his eyes from a lack of proper sleep, his angular features looking haggard. To him the conversation filling the inn was a dull buzz in the background and the delicious scents that filled the air were unappealing. He had no appetite for a proper meal despite at least one barmaid's attempts to coax him into eating. Twice people had tried to ask if he cared for company, despite his rather disheveled appearance. He had simply looked up at them blankly and offered a weak smile before giving a shake of his head. With it being clear he simply wished to be alone the other patrons let him be.

For several long moments he simply continued to stare at his mug, which had been refilled a good seven times by now. Finally he blinked and raised the mug to his lips to drain the rest of its contents. As soon as he set it back down he absently made a gesture calling for another drink which earned a frown from the barmaid that sauntered over to his table. She said nothing, knowing her words would be wasted and plucked up the mug before strolling away to fill it. She felt it would be a good idea to cut the tall elf off but he wasn't making any trouble and was paying for his drinks so she had no reason to act on the feeling. He smiled sardonically to himself as the barmaid walked away, his dull eyed gaze dropping to the table's surface. He could blame life's vissicitudes and his brother for his current state of being. However he knew he only had himself to blame.

Reactions: Jill
Things change. It is, paradoxically, the only thing that never changes: things will change, eventually. I remember a professor of mine explained it as "entropy", the propensity for things to change, and that the more isolated a system is, the more change it's subject to, the more unstable it becomes. And what's the universe but a closed system?

Things change.

I don't think any of us really realize how much until we become adults. When you're a kid, you're limited to what you know, who you're friends with, the town you grew up in, your family. It isn't until you finally break away from it that you realize how much things have changed, because you're not in the middle of them anymore. You become an outside observer. You can watch the iPod become an iPhone. You watched the Gameboy become a DS. You see the Sega Dreamcast, and you wish that they could've kept up with it.

It's odd, because we're all afraid of it. We can't stand that things change. We want what we've always had, what we're used to. We want our parents to stay the same age as when we were kids, because now Dad can't lift as much as he used to, and Mom doesn't always remember where she leaves her car keys. We want our old movie franchises back, because Transformers just got butchered again, and no one ever asked for that. We hope that maybe we can experience the magic of that first video game again, when a bunch of pixels could make a whole new world.

It's odd that so many want it, yet fear it, yet yearn for it, yet shy away from it, wondering what's coming next. But it's just a law of the universe we have to abide by: vicissitude. Changes of fate. And we have to learn to embrace those changes. It's all we can do.