Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Supernatural, Horror
gLb1089.jpg

What's in a word?

Nothing but a group of different sounds put together to create something new, something intelligible.
And from this understanding sprouts inspiration for creativity!

Sometimes it takes only one word to create a spark!

What does the following word bring to your mind?

Luminous

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo
He stood transfixed as the sultry sway of her hips hypnotized him. The beauty of her form and the accompanying heat he could see in her eyes had him reaching out for her. It was that moment when he noticed three things simultaneously. The light in those eyes that he mistook for answering sexual desire were lit with an actual fire, the softness of that form was a trap, and the heat he felt was not meant to be quenched by a mutual encounter. Those luminous eyes were the last things he saw before flames engulfed him...

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Greenie
Luminous. That's a word I remember Mama using when she'd look at the full moon at night, especially when it was almost completely white and so bright that it seemed as if it was glowing. Papa would have just said it was bright, but Mama liked to use fancy words. So did my sister.

I guess that's just the first word that came to my mind when I saw him. Dangling from the back of that flying creature, sick and shivering and wishing I was dead, luminous was what I thought when I was finally able to see the man I had only heard stories of.

The room was filled with the sort of light that shines on the inside of ice before the sun. It didn't so much fall on objects as fill the spaces between them, obliterating all shadows within. If not for the shades that shielded the eyes of the physicist standing in the blast room at the back, if not for the many panes of darkened glass separating him from the test chamber, he had no doubt that the luminous, aggressive brilliance would have sheared his retinas off the back of his eyeballs with glee.

His mother always told him never to stare into the sun, but he was always up for a challenge.

"Team, it appears we have finally achieved stable fusion," he said with a grin.

The chaotic din of battle had finally fallen silent within the depths of the sprawling forest. Bloodied bodies lay strewn about the forest floor like fallen ragdolls, their weapons laying next to them or clutched in death grips. Some were missing limbs or heads and others were eviscerated, all the injuries caused by a bladed weapon. Splashes of drying blood stained various trees like some form of macabre art, a dark scene indeed. The fallen had come hunting for a man thinking their numbers would be enough to lay him low so that they might get rich off the bounty set on the man's head. Oh how wrong they had been.

At the edge of the horrific scene a solitary figure was on his knees, rugged hands resting on the crossguard of a blood stained sword that was planted in the ground to keep himself from collapsing completely. His clothing was tattered in places, stained with the blood of his enemies as well as his own. Sweat soaked, shoulder length black hair clung to the haggard, careworn features of his face. Unfocused, dark blue eyes stared down at the ground beneath him as he drew in unsteady breaths. The lids of his eyes grew heavy as his breathing grew more shallow. Slowly his hands slid away from the crossguard of his sword and he slumped over onto his side.

Just before his eyes closed completely something luminous sparked into existence, hovering off the ground mere inches away from his face. There was a tiny, vaguely human shape in the center of the glow. With it's arrival came a soft voice that uttered, "Get up... It's not your time..."

"I just need to rest for a bit..," the man's voice sounding raspy and weak. He just wanted to close his eyes and let go. He was tired of being hunted. Tired of living in a world that had taken away everything he had held dear to his heart. He had reached a point where the burning vengeance wasn't enough to keep him going.

The light of the luminous being grew more intense and it flitted about the fallen man in agitated manner. It could feel the lie in the man's words. It could feel him simply giving up on life. It's quiet voice was laced with a hint of anger as it spoke again, "You're going to give up when your goal is so close at hand..? Just lay here and die like some pathetic old fool..? Would you fail those you once held dear in such a way..?" The little creature felt horrible for speaking in such a harsh manner but it did not wish to see this man die here and now. What choice did it have other than to be mean?

A flicker of anger flashed in the dark blue depths of the man's eyes, one of his hands tightening into a fist. A low growl rumbled in the back of his throat, but rather than snap angrily at his little tormentor he began to move. Weakly he pushed himself onto his hands and knees, ignoring the pain of his injuries. Then he placed one hand, then the other on the crossguard on his sword, pulling himself back up. He managed to get back onto his feet unsteadily, one hand moving to brace itself against a nearby tree. He leaned a little to grasp his sword with his other hand then yanked it out of the ground before shifting his tall form to lean back against the tree before he fell over again, angry eyes glancing toward the little being of light, "You win... for now..," uttering the words in pained, disgruntled tones.

Satisfied the little creature began to fly around the man. With him no longer on the verge of simply giving up on life the creature could work its magic. The luminous glow grew brighter and washed over his form. His physical injuries began to heal and renewed vigor flowed through his body. It was all the little being could do for the man though it wished it could do more. When it finished it faded out of sight knowing the man would not care for it to keep him company at this moment in time. For several long minutes the man just leaned against the tree, his expression grim. Then, finally he pushed away from the tree and slowly made his way back to where he'd stowed his things before all hell had broken loose. For now he would carry on.