One Piece, but in decent? (Canon? AU? Halp!)

sun.

What good is just one wing?
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Anime-esque, sci-fantasy, adventure, cyberpunk, high-fantasy, Victorian fantasy. comedic slice of life
So I recently had a considerable change in my work schedule, and now I have a mighty amount of time on my hands and I don't know how to fill it. So, I thought a new RP would be nice, but I want something... I guess, lighter?

Personally, I always really loved the world and the lore of One Piece, but there were many things I didn't like about the show, so I always thought it'd be cool to have a custom version of it as a roleplay.

Now my question is how would you want to roleplay such a thing? I've seen a lot of One Piece roleplays over various sites, and I tend to have three problems with them. One is overarching: The writing level often feels sub par. That's of course by my own, snobby standards, but I like to really feel everyone in the roleplay being into it and giving their best effort. The other two concern continuity, I suppose. I feel like if you don't have any canon characters, the world loses a lot of its charm. But when you DO keep them in, it begs the question of how to do it.

My initial idea was for the manga/anime continuity to be kept up until the Marineford War. Our crew could come together during the two year timeskip, and from there on out we just do our own thing. We could of course do it completely custom, or we keep it at the side (e.g. Doffy being toppled in Dressrosa is news even in our roleplay etc.) or a middle way of those two options.

But yeah, that's just my initial thought. I'd love to have some input by invested players, who like the world/One Piece, and who want to finally get a bit of a sophisticated roleplay going on the subject matter. :P

• Love
Reactions: Nav
I like your idea of having it during the timeskip. You don't really have much that I would change or something like that.
I think somewhere in the middle is best, but I'm open to having it completely custom.

Interested.

I like your idea of having it during the timeskip. You don't really have much that I would change or something like that.
I think somewhere in the middle is best, but I'm open to having it completely custom.

Alrighty!

Interested.

Coolio.

So, what about races? Especially the rarer ones, such as Mink or Giants. Should they be playable? I'm not personally against any of the races, though I do feel a Giant may cause logistic issues that might trouble a coherent story progression.

I think it'd be best to keep rare races unplayable, but allow a few races other than humans. It wouldn't really make much sense to have a giant up and about.