One Day at a Time

"N-No, wait, I-" He stammered our, though his voice barely reached above a whisper as he watched the creature seem to disappear, instead leaving him alone as he stumbled as he walked. The physical damage wasn't bad but that didn't mean he wasn't still heavily affected by it, as was evident by his slurred speech and the stars he still saw up until being led into his room. Once there, he laid back onto his bed quickly with a grimace growing on his lips when realizing that Nathan hadn't noticed the gray water Casper seemed to have left behind in the bath.

"I'm sorry, I... I knew you were waiting outside," he admitted, his grimace changing to an apologetic smile as he held his head, whimpering at the touch. Nothing seemed to have cracked - miraculously - but that didn't mean he wouldn't have a huge bruise in the morning. "Juice sounds lovely."

"I wanted you to have your privacy but-- there's a reason nurses sit in on patients. Accidents can happen easily and it can affect the patients here more than people on the outside. I'm sure you'll be fine, it doesn't seem that bad, but-- but I think I'll need to sit in with you next time, just in case," he nodded as he absently adjusted the bedsheet, a small smile growing on his own lips at how strangely normal the action felt to him. It was more proof -if more proof was needed- that he had taken a shine to Casper and was clearly developing signs of favouritism which he knew wasn't wise, professionally, but he also didn't mind it too much. If anyone needed the extra attention, it was Casper. Every other doctor had given up on him and if it took a little preferential treatment to get close and earn his trust, so be it.

"...Try and get some sleep, alright? I'll leave the juice and the painkillers on the bedside cabinet, take them whenever you need to. Breakfast is a little later tomorrow so you get a ten minute lie-in, which is nice, I suppose."

"Thank you, Nathan. It means a lot," he insisted, reaching for the juice eagerly to help with his chapped lips and reluctantly took the advices amount of pills that sat in the tiny cup beside him. He was well aware that he wasn't to be trusted with a whole bottle, having once freaked out and tried to swallow a whole bottle to stop a headache that came on from an attack a few years back. He didn't want to get his stomach pumped again.

"I... I'm exhausted, I might actually sleep without any assistance for once," he admitted hopefully as he laid back down, closing his eyes when familiar pounding in his head began. "I'm sorry, I just needed some time alone."

Nathan nodded with a smile, evidently still more than concerned about the other but deciding that it was best to lay off him and not be too forceful in his efforts to help him. Instead, he left the room to finally head on home, having spent far too long in the asylum and missing out on the party he had sworn his friends he would attend. He cared more about his work and didn't regret staying on longer than necessary, but it didn't mean it wasn't exhausting.

Nevertheless, he was around to offer a friendly face to the patients when breakfast came around the next morning, meaning he had little over two hours of sleep. It barely showed, the man displaying his usual level of cheeriness as he made sure to check up on every patient. He came to Casper last, knowing he wanted to spend the most time talking to him.

"...The nurses are aware of your fall. I had to tell them, just in case a bruise formed and they questioned me on why I hadn't told them sooner. If they pester you, that's why; they're concerned, I suppose, that you purposely harmed yourself. I told them it was nonsense, you quite clearly tripped, but... well, if they're overly involved with you today, that's why," he explained as he slipped into the seat opposite him, eyeing his breakfast. "You should eat up, give yourself some strength after yesterday's stress."

"It's ridiculous. If I wanted to kill myself yesterday, drowning would have been a better option," he countered, both as a matter of fact and as a tease, taking little bites of oatmeal. He had slept well for the first time in weeks, though it was mostly from the light concussion he had the night prior, but nonetheless it held him in at least somewhat of a good mood. Not to mention, the creatures he had seen had only been low leveled ones that gave him little notice. He would be lying if he said he hadn't missed Pat already.

"I'm not... really enjoying solids at the moment," he admitted, that of which was evident by his untouched toast and an apple with the smallest bite taken out of it. "The texture is bothering me, I supposed. A-Anyway, enough about me. Did... you sleep well? I'm sorry for worrying you. I didn't mean to, really..."

"No-- No, not 'enough about me'. You need to eat, Casper. As much as I'm happy to talk like a friend, I'm also your doctor and therapist and everything else that means I have a professional, legal obligation to care for you, hm? And I can't turn a blind eye if you go without breakfast. I'm sure we can find you something-- some creamy porridge or something less solid? I think you need to eat something at least," he noted in concern at the untouched meal. He sometimes skipped breakfast himself, but he wasn't inside a hospital with his every action written down into notes. Casper skipping one breakfast would only alert some other doctors and Nathan wanted to avoid that if possible.

"...I'm fine, really. I didn't sleep much but that's my fault, not yours. Besides, I have neighbours who don't seem to understand how to be quiet, so I rarely ever sleep anyway. And I've just got a new puppy so that's-- it's like having a newborn baby around the place," he smiled, happy to have something of a normal conversation for once. "I haven't named her yet; I'll probably go with something most people call their pets. Lucky or Rover or something."

"A puppy! Oh, that's lovely!" He gushed, sitting up a tad as he focused on that rather than his unfinished breakfast. "I'm horrible at names, evidently. Last thing I named I named Pat," he snorted, shaking his head. "There are millions of names in plenty of languages and I chose Pat? I hope you have better skills," he teased before staring down at the Apple, his smile fading as it began to brown.

"You're a bit of a hypocrite, eh? I mean, you need proper sleep," he urged as he subtly pushed the tray away with the unfinished toast and apple still sitting on it. "Well, I hope you're okay. It's nice talking to you about normal things, yeah. I mean, you're very pleasant and I love talking about dogs! I wish you had some emotional support dogs, I think I would cry."

"Well, you already know I've been trying to set up pet therapy here. I think it's incredibly beneficial to patients - my superiors aren't too keen, said it's a waste of our finances. I'll keep trying, of course. Maybe I'm selfish because I adore animals, but I know everyone here would love a cuddle with a cute dog or cat, you know? It'll help everyone out," he murmured as he cast an eye back over the other patients, smiling to himself at how quiet everything seemed to be. Some mornings were hectic and patients yelling or emotionally wrought, so to have a morning where everything seemed to be going relatively smoothly was perfect.

"Who's Pat? A pet you used to have?" He asked happily, assuming that it would continue the normal conversation, rather than innocently reference one of the creatures Casper could see. "I like that name, you're too harsh on yourself. Cute name for a cat, if only for the rhyming."

"I always wanted a cat," he blurted in response, and while he held a smile, Casper wasn't able to keep his eyes rom avoiding Nathan's. "My sister adopted an orange tabby when she moved into her own flat back in Ireland. I think she named him Syd, said it was to remind her of Australia. I do wish I could go back to Ireland one day, she makes college so fascinating! This is her final semester and she promises to come visit me come winter vacation," he eagerly explained.

"She's studying to be a psychiatrist, actually, and she's already taken some looks at the hospital near her. I would love her to work here but I know that there's too much personal connection between us. She also hates the heat in winter," he added with a nod, his eyes glancing st the phones expectantly.

Nathan wasn't naive to the fact his question had deliberately gone unanswered, though once again, he chose not to bring it up. If the other wanted to tell him, he would have done so, and it didn't seem like a desperate need to probe any further and upset him as a result. As the doctor continued to talk, mostly of wanting to travel and how he wished he had a sibling growing up, Pat made a reappearance - albeit unaware that Casper was around. The creature had decided to leave him alone, figuring that its presence was unsettling and spending time with someone it thought dislike it wasn't all that fun. If Pat had a choice, it would have left the hospital by now, but when it was all it had ever known, starting afresh someplace else was too big an ask.

Having taken a seat at someone's table to quietly watch them talk amongst other patients, fascinated by the simplest things they talked about, its eyes did wander over the room until spotting Casper, blinking nervously in case he had a freak out and upset himself and everyone else. Given Pat truly feared that, leaving the room was probably the best option, though curiosity once again led it to wandering across and taking a seat beside the oblivious doctor.

"...This is my home, I can't leave here, even if you dislike me being around. It... isn't my fault you can see me. I can't just... avoid seeing you when I live here too. I like being here at breakfast, everyone seems happier in the mornings," it began awkwardly, glancing at Nathan who continued to talk and laugh without knowledge of what was beside him. "...I'm sorry for making you hurt yourself, it's my fault you... tripped and got a bruise."

The few happy and casual minutes he spent with Nathan were almost surreal in the sense that, for the first time in awhile, he didn't think he was speaking to a doctor and more a friend. Their chatting was interrupted by silence on Casper's end, his eyes drifting to Pat. He didn't want to just start talking without any context nor did he want to ignore Pat (because he knew he couldn't do it).

"I was talking to one of Them last night," he began quietly. "They... are named Pat now. They can talk to me and have conversations with and They're here right now, next to you in fact," he whispered, pointing to the space beside the doctor. "They're nice, really. Very... human-like."

In contrast to the being's clear delight at the compliments, particularly being called human-like, given being human was the ultimate fantasy for him, Nathan was quietly horrified at the idea that something was sat beside him. That fear in itself made him realise he possibly believed Casper more than he liked to admit aloud, or why else even feel that slither of fear and dread? If he completely believed it all to be figments of Casper's imagination, he wouldn't be as nervous as he suddenly was as he glanced to his side with a frown.

"...So that's who Pat is, hm? I... Casper, you do realise this sounds utterly unbelievable, don't you? I... I told you that I'm not against believing you; I told you that I may actually consider the idea that this is real, but... how am I going to do that when I see no evidence in front of me? It's unwise for me to believe you, professionally speaking, because it means you don't get the help you might need. I-I... can't hear this, not outside my office anyway. I... don't want to upset you but I really do think we need to look into some stronger medication."

His brief moment of hope to perhaps be praised for admitting what he saw was cut short, instead of leaving him to slump a tad in defeat. Looking over at Pat desperately for some evidence, he knew he probably wouldn't receive what he wanted. Looking away, he squirmed a tad in discomfort at just how dark and strict the conversation suddenly became.

"Medication just makes me tired and ill," he replied in a whisper before moving to bite the toast, shivering at how uncomfortable the texture was. If it helped Nathan to be less (what he saw as) mad at him, he would do it. It made him want to get sick but he didn't want the doctor to worry. "I don't know how to prove it to you, Natha."

"...I don't either, but until I know for certain, it's probably for the best we at least try and get you some medication or serious questons are going to be asked of me when they see I've done nothing to try and help you, other than talk in my office. I... this is a difficult situation for me, I'm doing my best," he insisted with that same caring smile he was able to pull off naturally. He wanted to believe him and he sort of did, but without evidence, he had to be a doctor and do his job, however much he just wanted to be a friend and believe in what Casper was saying.

As unlikely as it seemed, something did happen to signal that he did see what Casper did, the doctor's lip turning into a grimace as he took notice of the dark, inky splodges leading up to the table. He didn't put two and two together and think they were left by Pat, despite hearing what the other looked like. Instead, he assumed the cleaners hadn't done a good enough job and had been too careless to notice what quite clearly was an unavoidable mess. Nobody else could see it, of course, but he didn't know that.

"I'll be right back, I'll get this cleaned up. Honestly, if you want a job doing, it's best to do it yourself sometimes, hm? You'd think they'd have noticed this, though. It's hardly a small speck of dust; it looks like someone's trod in something and carried it about," he grimaced, shaking his head as he motioned to the black prints, leaving no real time for discussion - the sooner it was cleaned up, the better he'd feel.

Watching the doctor leave, astonished at the sign that someone else might soon be able to see them and talk to them, Pat, with an eager look in his eyes, turned back towards the patient. "I... this is good news, Casper! I-I can-- I can go into his office or something, make a mess there and... and then he'll have to realise you're telling the truth-- I don't know, I'm just excited for you!"

"A-Wait! You're... seeing this?" He confirmed, quickly climbing to his feet in excitement only to turn back to Pat, a slow smile creeping to his lips. Eagerly tugging Nathan back to his feet, he was to the point where he was jumping in excitement.

"Nathan, don't bother!" He urged, leading the doctor back to the table. "No one else sees it - unless they do, w-which is a miracle. No, that isn't going to get cleaned up by supplies, it'll dissipate on its own. That right there is proof I'm not crazy! Pat drips these balls of black ink a-and that must be from him! Oh, this is glorious - Pat, you're brilliant!" He gushed to the creature, his cheeks growing rosy.

"Okay, okay, calm down. What are you talking about? No need to get over-excited," laughed the doctor as he gestured the patient back to his seat, clearly not understanding what Casper was really saying, otherwise the man would be considerably less calm than he was. When it was fully explained and he took in the gravity of the situation, he turned to stare back at the sludge in confusion, that confusion only heightening when it seemed to just sink into the floor and disappear from his view completely.

"No-- No, I can't see Pat, I-- I'm sleep-deprived, Casper. You said it yourself; I need proper sleep. Besides, you claimed to be able to see these monsters and creatures after a childhood accident where you hurt your head, yes? I haven't had any accidents that might suddenly enable me to see what you apparently see, it makes no sense, Casper. I'm just tired is all; you're tired too, yes? That slime-- whatever it was, it was in our heads, I'm sure of it," he nodded, though the speech was clearly made to himself, as though he needed to rationalise what he was saying to convince himself that it was nothing to think too deeply about. "I don't want to-- look, I can't see anything else you're seeing, Casper. That was-- I don't know quite what that was, or what your new friend thinks they did, but-- but I don't want to think about it too much."

"You needed proof, right? We gave you proof," he insisted quickly, his mood souring when the doctor seemed to deny the evidence, his hand holding his growing bruise with a frown. Looking over to Pat, he shared a disappointing look.

"I don't know why you only see that, I... don't know, but isn't this something? I'm sorry, but that's not fair. Sure, you're probably sleep deprived b-but still. Should I not have told you and have you look crazy?"

"I don't really want to talk about this further, Casper. I need to do work and-- and this isn't helping me relax, is it? Discussing my hallucinations as thought they're realities, it's not fair to put this on me--" He began with an exasperated sigh, though froze seconds later when feeling something cold either side of his face. Cautiously reaching his hand to his cheek, he pulled it away to inspect the black sludge oozing through his fingers, that of which he assumed his cheeks and hair were covered with. Despite knowing it would disappear, the horror that he had some horrible substance on him made him shudder and it was a minor miracle he didn't panic more than he already was. "W-What the fuck is this? This is mad, C-Casper. What is it?"

"...He wasn't listening," mumbled Pat as they shifted back several paces after losing their patience with the doctor. Sure, gripping him by the face until they were sure the remnants were left splattered across it wasn't the most peaceful of moves, but they were hardly going to sit back and let Nathan turn a blind eye to what he was seeing; it wasn't fair on them or on Casper. "I had to make him listen, he... he seems like he's listening now, right?"

"Well, technically, I don't know what it actually is," he replied simply, watching Nathan freak out with growing sympathy. Awkwardly shifting in his seat, he moved to grab a napkin and wiped the ooze away a bit.

"Relax, it won't hurt you," he reassured quietly, moving to take Nathan's hand carefully. "It's coming from Pat. They're just trying to prove that I'm not crazy, aha... maybe we should have approached more carefully, perhaps. Can... I help?"

Laughing incredulously, Nathan pinched the bridge of his nose in an attempt to collect himself, as though that would relieve him of what he was seeing and feeling. Of course it didn't work; he could still feel the slow ooze of the gunk as it slid down the side of his face, only to disappear upon hitting the ground. He wanted to cry out that he was going crazy, only to stop himself when he considered he wasn't alone in seeing this and calling himself crazy wouldn't reflect all that well on Casper, who could see far more than he could.

"...I can manage," he murmured quietly as he took a seat again, desperate to avoid attention from the others in the dining hall. Breathing out with a careful glance around, noticing how oblivious others were to what he could see, he turned back to Casper with a weak smile. "This is mad, Casper-- I-I can't say it's not real, it's on my fucking face, but-- but I don't want to-- I don't know. I don't like this. Tell your friend not to do this again, alright? I... I believe you, obviously I bloody believe you now."