Once More Into the Storm.

Looks fine, no red flags that I could see. Accepted.

265ujh0.png

"We have begun to listen to the teaching our blood whispers."

Name: Mala Kerrien
Sex: Female
Race: Serium

Species:

Lephiz - "Bitter Walker"
The Serium race are known as a small group of nomads, living from the land and moving where their food source goes. Very little is known of them as they stay away from large societies and keep to themselves, but from what has been recorded they are animistic in their manner, having sensitive hearing, sight and predatory instinct to guild them. It was rumored that perhaps in their ancestry they were once cursed beasts meant to find no home, only recently finding way to become more humanoid in appearance.

The Serium live in six separate groups ( refereed to as Tocks), each according to a different geographical land type and climate. Lephiz live in colder climes, preferring to rocky mountain ranges and arctic chills due to a massive body heat that forms in their lower stomachs and streams throughout the body. They are the largest of the Serium, males ranging to a height well over 7' feet while females are normally around 6'7". Lephiz are quiet, but deadly in their techniques for stalking prey or enemy, using poisoned daggers and spears to end a kill. If the victim is able to run away, they follow after it with surprising stamina until the poison renders their body useless. They stay firmly to silent attacks, played mostly at night since high sunlight strains their eyes and could eventually blind them. If a Lephiz is unable to use a weapon, they will fall back to steady hand to hand combat - careful though, Lephiz are only trying to get close enough to bite. A special type of venom runs through their veins, a base for most of their home-made poisons, which are collected through sharp fangs that falls in 2 rows. Back row of fangs which are like a serpents are meant to cut apart meat and are able to be contracted back into the roof of the mouth. The first row is more recognizable as of a dog's teeth, canines being the sharpest and where venom in expelled.

*** Venom is not a killer - at first. Lephiz often use venom for marking of families and friends, that is meant to bring about a special mental link to keep track of said people. It's even used as a sort of sleeping serum for children when mothers want the babes to be quiet as they move to a different area. Glands in the back of the throat dictate whether venom is poisonous or not, based on the mood of the Lephiz and their surroundings.

Appearance:
ydU4P9S.png

ozkREhw.png

Mala: Red Head - Chin Length; Green Eyes; Baby Faced - Cheeks are slightly chubby; Sharp Teeth; Taller than average human women; Often wears hooded garments to cover face from sunlight; Pale Skinned.

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 173 Ibs.

Body Type: Lean & Slender
Skills:
Well practiced in the art of poison and medicine. Serium are wary of magic users/healers as they are seemingly unpredictable and follow in natural herbs and roots for medical uses.
Hunter & Scout - Remember that Serium live in small groups, 8 families at most, and priorities have to be shared. Mala when reaching age of responsibility started hunting with the older children and became astute to movement of a living creature and their common habits when panicked. This study pertains of cornering the chosen prey while the lead hunter takes it down and how to kill it without getting yourself killed in the process. The young practice with rabbits or small mammals, often opting to jumping the animal and tearing through the stomach or whatever body part that is exposed. Mala was among the children who were quick on their feet which deemed her worthy as a scout. As they live on the move, some of the other races may not be friendly to trespassers that are taking their game. Being a scout means long nights spent awake while the Tock sleep under your watch, it means going into enemy territory without notice, it means you need to know how to make a quick escape.

Abilities/Powers: Serium have been gifted with the power to blend. This doesn't mean they just poof and vanish. Their body's glandes are able to musk their scent and blending it with their surroundings, lowering their heart beat to barely nothing. With this new scented musk, those who catch whiff of it may become sleepy or never even see the Serium due to a chemical reaction which makes it seem as if they are not even there. This ability is more useful in nature or well-crowded cities, when not being singularly targeted.
Strengths: Mala is extremely fast with well-leveled stamina, and pricked with the eye sight of an eagle. Smart, keen, and wild to an extent.
Weaknesses: Naive of the ill intentions of others, very trusting, brash when cornered, injured shoulder blade that was broken in an accident, resulting in some of the bone being utterly shattered and cut away - ghost pains occur when she is unable to use her right arm.

Backstory:
Once before the Calling, the Serium were renowned for their agricultural influence. They were farmers, fishermen, herbalists, and deeply enriched in the fur trade. Respected among the races for their knowledge and economic influence, they were a main source of capitol and power. But due to a untrusting nature for the other races, they kept to themselves, cautious of immigrants and those who traveled through their lands and wished to stay out of all political/war-like conflicts and only trade for their well being. Their young would be sent to other cities, delivering goods while learning of the outside world and the people wherein, mostly dotting the mistakes and faults of daily life and the cultures.

Mala was born to the second in command of her Tock, Atusk and his wife Hilpha. Mala was born smaller than the normal Serium, and her parents worried for the child's life. Smaller children often die young with illness, leaving the families in destructive sorrow to a point of where they refuse to eat and often die themselves. Seemingly, her life was in no danger and it was just the fact she was born small. This led not to a sheltered life but to where Mala was pushed by her Tock to outdo the other children and grow stronger than them, as to place her worth to her people. This put considerable strain on Mala, feeling isolated even though she had the full support of her family.

As she grew older, her skills showed through as a progressive medicine woman and scout as sparring with her older brothers became more dangerous to her health than anything else - you can imagine why. As the idea of warring with fellow peers for the top, she placed herself in a respective stage of intellect and wisdom. She was trained under her elder medicine woman and another Serium children as the new apprentices for the Tock.

The problem came as this - Mala had grown tired of her secluded world and wanted to be free of limitations and her people's constant judgmental frown. She demanded to be allowed to go with the other Serium on their trade route. She was permitted to do so only to come back to a blanket of dark cloud that had fallen over her homeland. They had heard of the rumors and ignored them completely, ignorant and fool hearty until they had been cast from their lands and forced to become ghostly wanders the last of a great civilization. Time moved as they heard of other trading parties that had also escaped, all moving further and further away from their territory, often being chased out of land claimed by another race, all the while being seen as pests and feared for the misfortune that had befallen them. She had lost her mother and father, leaving her only with her two eldest brothers and those she traveled with. In this became an angry battle not hate those that made them run and that to be peaceful and understanding of their dread.

Then came a time when she heard of the Seekers and with it a new goal: to regain her people's dignity and make them great once more. If the Calling were to be removed, her people would return back to their land and build their city back to its former glory. She left with hushed goodbyes to her Tock along with one chosen warrior who made it his goal to keep her from death, determined to succeed and promising she would come back soon and with her return a new age for their people.

Equipment:

Primary Weapon: Combat knives - 4 in total, two kept attached to boots and hidden knives kept in their sheathes by her wrists - easy to grab at an unexpected attack. 6.5 inch double-edged spear-point knife with bent blade.
Secondary Weapon: 2 Shashkas - 17 inch long, sharp swords that are sheathed on her hips.

Notable: Carries a satchel containing personal items, backup daggers (push dagger, knuckle dagger, etc. ), small bottles that are a mix of poisons, brews, and among the sort - Drink at your own risk. Bottles are labeled in her native language and may be difficult to read. She keeps a small notebook that she writes personal thoughts & passing region's history, people, culture, natural life, etc. ( pridefully planned to becoming the first book in her people's grand library when her journey is through ), bandages, money, sponges that she bites into to soak in venom, needles and thread, and poppy seed for her restless night.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gokattea, I see a few red flags in your CS. Nothing that can't be remedied. Firstly, I see you stated the Serium are nomadic hunter gatherers. The problem I have with this is why would the Calling concern Mala in the slightest? She and her family travel, giving the sense they feel no attachment to any one area, so it makes sense to say they would be more out to flee from the Calling rather than help people fight to keep something the Serium themselves will never have. I'm going to have to remain adamant about all mages being taught at the College. I'm willing to compromise on a few things however. Edit the races history a bit and I will accept her. Make her people have a legit, productive civilization within the world. Perhaps the Serium are so secluded to the point their people take pilgrimages across the Nohdlhiem for trade, or as a right of passage, or for a means to learn about the outside world. A reason for her to join and be accepted would be that while out on her pilgrimage her city was taken by the Calling. Rendering her and what is left of her people to be nomads and wanderers.

I noticed that everyone took their backstory all the way up to the Seekers and the Calling.. Do you want me to add that bit in? I was figuring she would represent the Magi - since she has no real home among either of her race, and spent much of her time up till now at the school - leaving the human and elf representatives open to others, but I can certainly add in why they chose her if you'd like.

I noticed that everyone took their backstory all the way up to the Seekers and the Calling.. Do you want me to add that bit in? I was figuring she would represent the Magi - since she has no real home among either of her race, and spent much of her time up till now at the school - leaving the human and elf representatives open to others, but I can certainly add in why they chose her if you'd like.

No your backstory is fine as it is. There is something that may have been overlooked. Everyone does realize there are a lot more Seekers other than our own characters, something along the line of an army sized guild? Our characters however, are the only ones of importance that can drive the RP forward. Meaning our characters should hit the ground running knowing they are the best and respected among their piers.

All right, and I was kinda starting to wonder lol.. At first, I thought it was more like we are the captains/commanders so to speak, but the more I read through character sheets I did start to wonder if it was more Lord of the Rings style. With each race sending only one person, but that made less sense to me since you did mention an army style thing (as far as I remember) but I still thought that who our characters represented (going with the Leader scenario) was important regardless...

Characters will not act as diplomats for their previous race, faction, or kingdom. They are Seekers now, all former ties and responsibilities will be cast aside. Now raises the question of how people will post in the IC. For my Character, I will always have a retinue of guards with me at all time, whom I will constantly use as cannon fodder so to speak. Just because I think its funny to send NPC's to their death. I would encourage others to do the same. Now I have been thinking, how will we go about setting the world right? Firstly I have left several possibilities open. Look back at the main page and you will see several factions, the Dwarves who need a king, Kolaghan who has a dragon that needs killing, Stormbreaker who has invaded, and the Orcs who are embroiled in a civil war. These Factions need to be dealt with, and it will be our characters that go about it.

Now I will leave it to the players to decide through the IC how this is done. Also I will implement elements and obstacles within the IC that will allow for certain events and outcomes to take place, but it is up to the players to act upon them. How they act upon them will effect the end game.

@Sammael9216 all right! i think i got it all down. i have to thank you for your insight, her background was shaky and without real purpose, but now with the added input she seems like a stable character with a true destiny. kudos to you. i like the death of a dragon as a beginning start, but i am curious about the currency of the world. do they use gold, silver, or paper money? and are the seekers funded by the races due to being like 'an international army' of sorts? is there electricity with things of modern convention or are we in a medieval time period where things are always nitty & gritty? and is there a moral code that they stand by when coming to terms of how to handle certain situations?

Ohhh... Ok I think I understand now. Sorry about the confusion ^^ I also like the dragon idea, but for some reason, the dwarves not having a king seems pretty important too.. (Not that it isn't all important) but since we will be doing all of them eventually (right?) I'm cool with whatever we go after first. Also, the more I've been thinking about her, the more I was kind of liking the idea of her having an animal companion (who may or may not be killed off later) but it also isn't something necessary, just a thought. Otherwise, she will most likely be alone (at least in the sense of not having a personal guard) or having one or two at the most (most likely to be killed off/seriously injured) - though I prefer the animal idea. But again, I'm perfectly happy keeping everything the way it is regarding my character.

@Sammael9216 all right! i think i got it all down. i have to thank you for your insight, her background was shaky and without real purpose, but now with the added input she seems like a stable character with a true destiny. kudos to you. i like the death of a dragon as a beginning start, but i am curious about the currency of the world. do they use gold, silver, or paper money? and are the seekers funded by the races due to being like 'an international army' of sorts? is there electricity with things of modern convention or are we in a medieval time period where things are always nitty & gritty? and is there a moral code that they stand by when coming to terms of how to handle certain situations?
Excellent questions, so first off currency. The fact that Nohldhiem is so vast with so many different races, kingdoms, and what have you, I will say that gold and silver would be the staple form of currency. Of course with that being said, anything of worth could be bartered per say. Seekers are more or less a formality at this point. A way for the worlds superpowers to make it look like their actually doing something productive, without actually doing anything. They put together the Seekers, gave them authority, gave them a purpose, then cut them loose. It's all politics you see. Everyone wants answers, but no one has any to give. There is no moral code the Seekers have to live by. They understand that their job is to save the world, and if they have to slaughter the innocent to do it, then so be it. Lastly technology, as for the most part it is a medieval setting. Although there will be times for the sake of plot that the Seekers uncover advanced technological cities, and I can't reveal more without spoiling things. Let me know if I have answered your concerns or raised more questions, lol.

Ohhh... Ok I think I understand now. Sorry about the confusion ^^ I also like the dragon idea, but for some reason, the dwarves not having a king seems pretty important too.. (Not that it isn't all important) but since we will be doing all of them eventually (right?) I'm cool with whatever we go after first. Also, the more I've been thinking about her, the more I was kind of liking the idea of her having an animal companion (who may or may not be killed off later) but it also isn't something necessary, just a thought. Otherwise, she will most likely be alone (at least in the sense of not having a personal guard) or having one or two at the most (most likely to be killed off/seriously injured) - though I prefer the animal idea. But again, I'm perfectly happy keeping everything the way it is regarding my character.
If you wan't an animal companion then by all means go for it.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
The IC is up, a link to it is on the main page just above the tabs, or you can use this one. A few things to note, first off my character is also posted in the accepted character tabs if anyone wants to check him out. Also my character will not be the leader of the Seekers, instead I will be playing on equal footing with everyone else. We will be starting out in the Dwarven kingdom, trying to bring stability to the place. Dwarves have been reworked a little, because I think its cool I gave the dwarves steam and coal power, allowing them to create machines like trains and railway systems. Please note, my character is the last one to arrive in the dwarven city. The way I have the written the initial post, is that everyone else has already arrived in the dwarven kingdom and are waiting for the last party member (myself). We will all board a train that will transport us several miles underground, and to the Dwarven city where we will begin our journey. That or it will crash leaving us stranded, who knows?

never mind... Lol I got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So to clarify, we are starting apart from each other and our first meeting will be at the city? Also, assuming the previous is true, do we start at those respective areas (for instance, me at the Mage guild?) or just.. Wherever?

And does anybody specifically want to be there first?
I'm sorry if I confused you, I'm running on fumes here. Lack of sleep makes it hard to think. Alright, so everyone needs to start out at the outpost station, seemingly everyone arrives at the same time, save for my character who is slightly late. This will be our first meeting and the start of the RP. I should note that the station is not the city but more or less a train station near the surface. Also in case it wasn't clear, everyone is a Seeker at this point, we all end up together simply because we were tasked the same mission.

Yeah I'm sorry lol I figured it out once I read through it all again. I did wonder if I would know of you, being connected to the mages, or not.