On the Safe Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
".......I would prefer you didn't refer to my brother in that way, I do still hold onto the hope that he is alive. Considering the situation, I have no choice but accept your offer" Celeste wanted to bash his head in for what he said, but knew she stood little chance of succeeding at this point. She didn't look at him, keeping er eyes on her hand to keep form giving the man a dirty look.

The king raised his eyebrow. He seemed more amazed by her words than actually annoyed by them. "You can't possibly believe he survived, princess Celeste. Please-" the man squeezed her hand and reached his hand out to her, grabbing her chin and raising her head, smiling disgustingly. "-it isn't important now. These are all bad memories, but it had to be done. Now, I am glad you accepted. Believe me, princess, you'll become the greatest queen by the side of the greatest king." He stroked her chin with his finger and let her go after a moment, turning his back to her.

A few days had passed and the king made sure to have Celeste right next to him most of the time. For now, he kept talking with her, enjoying every little twitch he saw when he mentioned her brother or the death of her family. He intended to marry her, of course, and "make peace", as he called it, but these things could wait. He was already a winner.

He was just spending his evening with Celeste, eating dinner, when the guard walked into the hall and talked to one of the servants. The woman's face changed a little, but she moved closer to the king and leaned in, whispering to his ear. The man laughed and looked over to the young princess. "You will love it, Celeste, my dear. Where is he?" The king turned his head to the guard. "The cells, sire." The king smiled and stood up, taking Celeste's hand.

Talhad touched his side and winced. The guards didn't miss any chance to kick or punch him, but the way they did so was almost annoying. He could do a better job himself. Sighing a little, the knight looked around. These cells were probably one of the last things anyone would like to see in their lifetime, but at least they were relatively clean. As he sat down, on the cold stone, Talhad let his eyelids drop down. A week ago - maybe a bit more - he was back at the castle of Celeste's uncle, ready to receive his punishment. Now he was slowly starting to realize exile would be better than this. His honour was in pieces already, and Talhad didn't have any idea on how to rescue Celeste.

He didn't even fight - there was no way for him to kill so many people. He was only a single man, and he was as far from being an assassin as it was possible. When the guards grabbed him, the knight's instincts pushed his fists into motion, delivering a few punches and breaking a few jaws, but that was about it. He needed to get inside, and he needed to see if Celeste was still alive.

"..to see an old friend. What a watchful dog! I wouldn't mind having something so committed to me.."

Talhad blinked and looked at the entrance to his cell. He knew that voice. Growling quietly, he stood up and walked closer to the bars. Even with his face bloody and one of his eyes hidden behind swollen flesh, the man managed to look as if it didn't worry him too much.

Celeste had done her best not to say anything insulting tot he man throughout these days. She had been grateful for any private time she could get, needing it to cool down and think. When she was eating dinner one evening, a guard came in, spoke to a servant, who in turn spoke to the imposter king. "he?" She was barely given a moment to even put down her fork before being taken along to the cells. She could remember having played there when small, not that she was allowed down there. "who is here?" she could only hope it was her brother, alive, and that he was unharmed, and would remain that way.

Though the cell didn't have any source of light for Talhad to grab, the corridor leading to his prison was quite bright. The man took a deep breath hearing and recognizing Celeste's voice, and leaned in, almost pressing his body to the cold bars. He could also hear the king speaking in a very merry tone which made the knight spit on the ground.

"Celeste, dear, I told you already. Don't have high hopes when it comes to your brother. No, this is another reunion." The king snickered and walked in front of Talhad's cell. The two men looked at each other briefly and it was hard to decide which side had more hate and disgust for the other. "Do you recognize your watchful dog, Celeste, dear?"

"oh. Talhad.....I'm glad to know you are safe" Celeste gave a polite curtsey. She was actually quite relieved to see that he was alright, even if he was in a dungeon cell at the moment. As much as he had agrivated her, he had kept her safe and had remained loyal to her father.

At that point Talhad was glad there were bars between him and the king - not to mention between him and Celeste. The way she spoke, and the way she looked, it was all getting to the knight. It didn't look she was in any kind of trouble, or rather she didn't realize she was, and Talhad sighed heavily, fearing not for his life, but for the future of the kingdom that was surely going to be lost completely with the prince gone and the princess making stupid decisions.

The man glared at Celeste; his left eye could be barely seen from behind the swollen flesh, and there was blood on his nose, running down to his lips, chin and onto his neck. It was darker and dry since the last beating he got was a few hours ago, but it was there. Careful not to snicker at the young girl, he bowed his head and rolled his shoulders a little. "Safe isn't the word I would use, neither in mine, or in your case, princess Celeste" he replied with a slight anger to his voice. Looking to the king, he noticed a smile on his lips, but he disregarded it completely. "Your uncle is worried, princess."

"Sir Talhad....I understand that it may be difficult to believe, but I do know what I am doing. This will help bring back peace to this country." Celeste remained calm as she spoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.