On the Safe Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaking his head and regretting it almost immediately, for it only worsened his headache and general feeling of balance, Talhad pressed his lips together for a moment not to let a pain groan slip out. Reaching his hand to the right, he grabbed the bushes. They provided almost no support, but the man still clung to them as if his life depended on it, which, in a way, did. Upon hearing Celeste's voice, he shook his head even harder. Rest? He couldn't see a single good thing coming from resting here, outside, especially with the risk of being caught again. Without his weapons and with barely enough strength to stand up and walk, Talhad would have no choice but to agree to whatever was on their enemies' minds, and that was definitely not the thing he wanted to do. He took a deep breath, let it out, and started walking towards the town, slowly, swaying awfully as if he was going to drop on the ground in a second. Motioning at Celeste, he made her walk with him. He wasn't even able to check if there was anyone around, he couldn't hear his own steps or the rustle of the bushes, and the princess' voice came to him as if he had his head under water.

Celeste sighed, "...you're as stubborn as my father........never listening...even when it'll probably mean your death" She tried to stay close, in case he fell, which she felt was only a matter of time. "......you're an idiot....just like them" she sighed sadly.

And so, step by step, Talhad pushed his body to the limits. His vision was blurry, every muscle was screaming for his attention and letting him know that this time he went too far. Listening to Celeste, he let out a quiet scoff, but was in no position to argue with her at the moment. All he could - and should - do now was focus on his steps. Still, the girl's words angered him a little, though he knew that she didn't mean any harm by saying them to him. It was, most probably, a form of worry she was showing about his well-being, but Talhad was having none of it. He was the one that was to take care of her, not the other way round. It took them way longer to reach the town, though the road they took was almost identical to the one that Farin was leading them by. Talhad had to stop every couple of steps to let his body regain its strength. But no matter how hard he tried, he didn't manage to walk all the way to the inn. Instead, he almost fell into the stables, but at least they were warm and there were no stairs to walk on. Resting his back on one of the walls, Talhad kept breathing deeply, focusing his gaze on Celeste. He needed medication, and they both had to grab their supplies, but he wasn't going to send her alone anywhere. For now he just decided to let the warmth touch his body.

Celeste watched Talhad, knowing he couldn't go on like this. She watched him for a while when they got to the stables. She sighed and got up. She couldn't just stay there. She didn't look at him as she left.

When he saw Celeste leave, with his eyes closing and opening as he struggled to keep his vision, he wished even harder to be healthy again, solely for the purpose of beating Celeste for her poor decisions. Even if she was going to get something for him, because he highly doubted she was going to leave him completely in the light of previous events, Talhad simply wanted her to sit on her royal bottom and do nothing. People that got Farin to work for them were certainly going to visit the town once they'd find the body, and Talhad couldn't let them have Celeste, because rescuing her would be out of his reach for another week or two, meaning she was practically dead the moment they'd find her. Still, unable to do anything, the knight sighed heavily. For the first time he was starting to wonder if there is a real reason for him to keep worrying if the princess tries to get herself killed every second.

Celeste went to find some sort of easy work. they needed money for supplies. She went into a pub, seeing women taking people drinks and singing. Even if it was just that, if it meant some money, it'd be worth it.

Hours or days, Talhad couldn't say for how long he sat there, his back against the wall and the smell of horses now glued permanently to his clothes, but no matter the time, the good thing was that he was starting to gain control over his body again. Weak and sending pain to his every limb, Talhad gritted his teeth and stood up using the wall as a support. He had to wait for a moment to let the dizzyness go away, but once it did, he walked around the stables for a moment. Far from healthy, the knight could at least keep his balance now. Celeste was nowhere to be seen. He needed to look for her - the moment of doubt he had long gone now - and make sure she was fine. Stil, his anger towards the princess only got worse when he remembered her poor decision towards leaving the room and going wherever it was she thought she was going all by herself. Sighing, Talhad left the stables and walked to the inn, pressing one of his hands at all times against something to keep him from falling down.

Celeste had found a job, singing. At the inn, actually. She was quite good. She'd been working for about two days now. She finished a song, people throwing stuff at her in praise. Some of it was money. She gathered it up and left the stage, humming happily.

When Talhad entered the inn, his head almost exploded - people were laughing, shouting, singing, arguing, all in one package delivered right to Talhad's ears. He let out a long sigh and moved around, keeping close to the wall for support. When he reached the stairs, he caught a glimpse of Celeste's blond hair, now short, but the colour still rich and radiant. He wanted to go to her immediately, but with all these people around, that was impossible. He didn't have strength to make his way to the stage and talk with her there, so he waited near the stairs and when she was close to him, he grabbed her arm. "You-" he started, focusing his eyes on the girl. "-what are you doing?" It was difficult to tell whether his voice was filled with anger or not, but it definitely had a hint of some strong emotions in it.

Celeste had started walking around, chatting with people. She had gotten close to the stairs when she felt a hand around her arm, "...?" she looked, and saw Talhad. She smiled, "you're awake! I was afraid you were dead for a minute there. Guess what! I got enough money to go anywhere!" She didn't seem to understand the emotion he was...expressing.

Talhad opened his mouth to say something, but shook his head and went to climb the stairs instead. How was he going to explain to her that she should sit somewhere safe and never - ever - let people notice, not to mention remember her? The singing he heard, if it was really Celeste's voice, was quite remarkable. They just managed to kill Farin and for some reason unknown, which Talhad was going to call a miracle for now, they weren't captured by anyone, and yet Celeste, though with her heart in the right place, just made it clear to everyone that there is, in fact, a girl with blonde hair in this inn. Then again, maybe it wasn't that much of a deal. Walking to their room, Talhad looked around. He remembered his weapon, now lost, and shivered. It was with him for how long now? Still, it was gone. The man sat on the bed and rummaged through what was left of their supplies. Not much, of course, but there were some herbs annd Talhad shoved them into his mouth, chewing, and then spitting them out on his hand. They had to do for now, and as he pressed them against his wounds, he felt a bit better.

".........how bad are they? I wasn't sure what kind of medicine you'd need...but there's plenty of money for it........" Celeste's smile disappeared, slightly disgusted by Talhad chewing and spitting out the herbs.

Talhad was in no mood for lying. He shook his head and motioned towards their backpack. "They're not good. I will need rest, at we don't have time." His voice was nothing but a whisper. He was covered in mud, blood, and wet from the rain that fell down on him on his way from his warm spot at the stables to the inn. "Bandages?" he half-asked, half-requested, forgetting about addressing Celeste the proper way. He looked at her, feeling a bit of guilt in his heart. For a girl who didn't have to work a day in her life, the fact that she went and got the money they needed was surprising. Although still rather worried that she got the attention, Talhad nodded at her. "Well done." That was all he could say for now, not entirely sure how to approach the change.

"not good? Do they not work? Doesn't that mean that the people who sell them are ripping people off?" Celeste found this sort of thing horrible. She watched him. He needed a bath. "Bandages? Okay......um......the inn has a bath.......you......could really use one......" She got ready to go. She blushed lightly when she heard his praise, "....t...thanks.........I'll be back" She left.

Talking was hard, but at least it took his mind off of the problems at hand, as well as the pain. "They work - it's just they're not.." Another sigh, another explosion of pain in his chest. His eyelids were heavy and he wished for nothing but some rest. "..suited for these kind of wounds." When she looked at him, Talhad tried to keep his breathing steady and slow, as shallow as possible not to strain any muscle. Upon hearing about the bath, he only nodded. He had to stink, and with all that mud covering his skin, he had to look like some kind of a monster in human body. Still, he was fraid that hot water was not only going to reopen the fresh wounds, but also cause him to be dizzy again. "I'll take care of it later." He murmured and lay down on the bed as she left. Falling asleep in a matter of minutes, Talhad kept dreaming of his wife that was brought up by Farin. Clenching his fist, angry at himself for not torturing the man at all, Talhad woke up for a second and then fell asleep again.

Celeste sighed sadly, going to a nearby mercantile and looking at what they had. She didn't know what could be found in a commoner's store, and was quite curious. She figured she could let Talhad have some more time to sleep, so she didn't rush. She got distracted by the fabric they had, looking at with interest.

Celeste had gotten the bandages and tried to bandage Talhad's arm and any other open wounds he may have had. After, she'd gone back down and went back to work. Singing and waiting on people. As she did this, she heard people talking. She faltered for a moment when she heard the mention of the man who had stolen her father's kingdom. She forced herself to keep calm, but wanted to learn what they were saying. When she heard, she wanted to puke. That low life scum! Having been raised by her mother, she was able to keep her composer as she finished her shift.

When she was free for the night, she counted the money she had made. Plenty of money. She went to the store and bought food and supplies. Going back to the room, she left most of the food and some money with Talhad, making sure he;d be able to reach it all without too much trouble. She took a bag that she had bought and stuffed it with enough food for a few days, a dagger, needle and thread, her lion (of course), and the remains of her dress.

She didn't think to leave Talhad a note as she left, going to look for a guard. If the rumors were true, she'd be in no real danger. The 'king' would want her in as perfect condition as possible. Right now, she just hoped the rumor was true, and that she'd find a guard before she ran out of food. She didn't know how far the next town was.

A thought crossed her mind. She stopped and took out the needle and thread and sewed up the gashes that Talhad had cut in her dress, put it back on. She kept the rags he'd gotten her in case she got cold at night or something. At least with her dress on, she'd be more likely to be recognized as who she was.

Celeste was relieved when she saw a guard. She walked up to with a calm, collected, expression. The guard was a little shocked to see the princess come walking right up to him.

"I have come to except whatever is to become of me" she said simply.

The guard said nothing, taking her arms and tying her hands behind her back. She was taken to the camp where this guard's company was staying, and led to the largest tent. She assumed it to be the captain or general. She was right. The person in armor was sitting at a desk, looking at a map.

The captain glanced at them, than stood. The guard saluted to the female captain and left.

"I must say, I'm surprised you were found at all."

"Can it really be called finding when I came willingly."

"Willingly? You must know something I don't then."

"I doubt that."

"Nevertheless, you will be taken to the castle in the morning. We have orders to keep you reasonably comfortable, so You will be given a tent to sleep in. Just remember that you are technically a prisoner, so you will be watched at all times. One of the female guards will stay with you at all times. Everyone is under the direction of the king not to harm you, but men can rarely be trusted to be honorable."

"I completely agree. I am grateful that you are taking such care in fulfilling your orders."

A female guard walked in, saluted the captain, and guided Celeste out. She removed the bindings and took her to her tent. There was one cot and a chair. Celeste sat on the cot with a sigh. Another guard came and brought her some food. At least it wasn't salted meat. Celeste ate and went to sleep, having no plans of trying to escape. The female guard said nothing to her that wasn't necessary.

In the morning, Celeste was awoken by the guard and led outside. They had a carriage waiting. She got in with the guard who sat across form her. They had another two guards, one male and one female, go along with them. This gave Celeste no chance of getting out. The guards talked amongst themselves a bit. None of them spoke to Celeste, and Celeste spoke to none of them.

They rode to the place that had been her home since her birth. Seeing it, she almost wanted to cry. The carriage stopped in front of the palace and she was guided out and taken to a room.

She noted that it had, in fact, been her room. This made her wonder if her things were still here. She was left alone, though she knew there were guards at the door. She took this time to explore any changes that had been made. She was quietly glad to find that he room was just as she had left it.

Even the secret door that her brother had made when she was little. His room was right next to hers. When she'd been little, she had nightmares, as most young children did, and she'd go to his room and sleep with him. The nurse maids, and their mother, didn't approve of this. Even if they were just children. So the secret door would be used so no one would know.
Celeste held in tears as she remembered this, going back and sitting on the bed.

Now she was waiting. Just waiting. What was she waiting so long for?

Finally, the door opened, and the man who had warranted the death of her parents walked in.

"Hello, dear Princess, I do hope my knights have treated you well. If they haven't, they'll have to be punished of course."

"Why would it matter if you guards harmed an enemy?"

"I would prefer to be allies, Princess. I understand that you must hold anger toward me, do your parents' death. I'm regretful that their lives were lost in the joining of our two kingdoms. I do still hope to make the joining....official.....even it started with violence, I would like it to end with peace. Surely, you must agree."

"What is it you're getting at, Sire?" Celeste so wanted to hit him. He didn't regret anything. It was well known that he had always held a grudge toward her father. For many reasons.

"Well....you'd be achieving something you wouldn't have been able to had none of this happened. Women are allowed to ascend the throne here, yes, but you still never could've. Not with your brother in the way, right?"

Celeste felt her dinner from last night starting to come up. Of course she knew that with her brother there, she couldn't be queen. That didn't mean that she wanted to be queen, nor did she hold any grudge of that sort toward her brother.

"....with circumstance as they are, there is only way for me to become a monarch of this country"

"Yes...and you will become queen of more than just your father's land, but mine as well. It will be ours." With this, he took her left hand.

Last edited:
Talhad didn't even open his eyes when Celeste was back in the room. His body simply refused to let him to that, knowing that the next thing he would do would be stand up and try to leave the town. Not hearing anything, realxed in a deep slumber, the knight's chest moved up and down as he kept his breathing shallow and slow. Even the sounds from downstairs, where people were still singing, laughing and screaming weren't enough to wake the man up, no matter how loud and obnoxious. He slept, dreamed, and healed a bit within the hours he had spent in the bed, not realizing that Celeste had left hours before he finally woke up.

But when he did, and sat up on the bed, his first reaction was to look around for the girl. He noticed the bandages on his forearms - there were clearly put on by someone who didn't really have many occassions to do that, but they were there, and they helped, especially with the skin underneath them now cleaned and ready to heal. "Prin- Avari?" he asked; maybe she was right outside? But nothing came in and Talhad hid his face in his hands. If he wasn't going to find her on the ground floor, he could safely assume someone kidnapped her again. But there was no reason to panic now.. He looked around the room and noticed the food and the money on the night stand. He didn't buy it, so it had to be Celeste. As he kept checking other things, he felt his blood freeze a little. Some of the stuff they had was missing, but there was no sign of any kind of fight in the room, not even a single sign of being in a hurry. Could she really went on her own? The man jumped to his feet and touched his side when it sent a jolt of pain out. He took a moment to let the pain go away and then stuffed whatever was left there to the backpack, putting it over his shoulder and leaving. He found himself more mad than worried at this point.

Celeste was still in her tattered dress. The stitching she had done on it helped some, but the damage to it was incredibly obvious. She still wanted to puke at what the man was suggesting.
Her room was a basic princesses bedroom. She had a canopy bed with black and red brocade curtains. Her room was actually fairly dark colored, mostly using black and red. Her closet had been made to look like a wardrobe as it stuck out of the wall, giving her even more space for her dresses. The wood was a dark cedar. She had a dark cedar wood dresser for other clothes. Undergarments and such. Decorating the top of the dresser were porcelain dolls and keepsakes from other countries. On her bed, sat an assortment of stuffed animals. Celeste had replaced her lion to its proper place among them.

(wasn't sure on what I should describe exactly...so I went with her room)

How long it actually took him to reach Celeste's uncle castle, he didn't know. Seemed like ages to the man, but from what he could gather it wasn't longer than a week. Couldn't be longer, his wounds still hurted and when he walked before the eyes of Celeste's uncle, his back was arched, and the man looked awful - tired, exhausted even, with no weapons whatsoever, hardly any supplies, and - last, but definitely not least - no princess at his side. At first, explaining everything to the ruler seemed difficult.. But Talhad wasn't a liar. He told him everything - and was ready to accept his punishment. Whether it was death or exile, the knight knew - or, thought - there was no other way to deal with what happened. Lowering his head before Celeste's uncle he awaited the royal man's words, but when they came, they weren't what he expected at all.

It seemed Celeste took matters into her own hands - and probably didn't think this through. Not given any time at all to rest apart from one day during which Talhad had to get a new weapon and bring some supplies, the knight was soon sent to find the princess no matter what. If he was to die during this mission, the Celeste's uncles made it clear it isn't something that would worry him too much. The message was clear: come back with Celeste or don't come back at all. He left the castle, sighing hevaily. The word was that the enemy king has captured her, or rather that she went to him all by herself, and that his desire now is to wed the girl. At least she wasn't dead, for now. As he climbed onto the saddle and patted his horse's neck, Talhad knew going to the enemy's castle and simply cutitng his way through the enemies would be impossible. However was he supposed to get Celeste back?

The king held her hand, his eyes glimmering. He was way older than Celeste, but it didn't seem to phase him at all; in fact, he looked as if he was planning that from the beginning, as if there was no other reason for the attack. "Well, princess? What is your answer?" he asked as if it mattered. At this point Celeste couldn't say no - or even if she did, she wouldn't be listened to. "I am offering you a life you'll never have with your brother in the way.. Given, of course-" the king snickered. "-he is still alive. Sad, really. I've always liked the boy. He would be a great king one day, but maybe.. Not in this time."

Status
Not open for further replies.