On the run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anne clung to the man as they sped through the streets, she had never been on anything so fast! The teen was terrified but more for her brother than herself. Once they had stopped she slowly let go of the man and took a deep, shaky breath "I..I don't know. Me and luke were just coming back from town when we saw our parents lying on the floor with blood around them and the next thing I know we're running"

Luke looked over the man before nodded and deciding to trust him he took the mans hand and used it to help get him back to his feet "you clearly know a lot more about this then me and I was their kid. Whats going on?"

Gabriel sat down. "The company your parents worked for was a secret government agency. A project they were making was to split human DNA." The small machine finished it's test and Gabriel eyed it interested. He continued speaking "I was one of four hundred volunteers. Curiously enough, human DNA, when split, gives the person immense strength, speed, and agility. However, it costs us our eventual sanity and our lifespan is shortened. I am 20 now, I will be lucky to reach 44, and even luckier to still be sane by 30."

Gabriel stood up and slid the device in his pocket. "The results of this machine tell me your parents were allowing you to drink the other half of the DNA. They were trying to make you like me, without the drawbacks..."

Big Gus nodded and put his arm around the girl. He gave her a gentle squeeze to show her that he had her back, "I understand, we can talk about it later... come with me..." Bringing her into the living room, he brought her to the shower, "Clean yourself up, it's an automatic," All Anne would need to do was walk into the cube and the machine would clean her with pretty smells automatically. Smitty laid out some new clothes for her that made her look more like a local.

Once Anne was done she would come out to see a living room with two large couches and many computer screens on the wall. There was a loft where one of the bikers was keeping lookout with a sniper rifle. Sitting on the couches below were the rest of the group, including Big Gus.

"Feel better? You never told me your name?" The man was looking a vial of clear looking yellow liquid.

Luke listened as he bit his lip as he listened "they were? I never knew. They said they were in market research. And they were experimenting on me and Anne? I need to get to her, I need to tell my sister what's going on" he said frantically then stopped and sighed as he looked at Gabriel "I'm so sorry they did this to you" he said softly

Anne nodded and she gave the man a small smile "thank you" she muttered and showered for a long time before getting dressed and heading in to the room and looked around before nodding "still worried about Luke and very confused but yes, I feel better thank you. My names Anne"

Gus nodded, "If the man with the sabre was a friend he will turn up here soon enough with Luke..." The biker didn't mention that he wasn't completely sure of that fact though. Taking a thick rubber band, he tied his arm off, "Anne, what are your parent's names and surnames?" The moment Anne responded, Smitty would begin a database search on the main computer. Gus opened a clean syringe and dipped it into the yellow vile, "Do you know what this is Anne?"

Anne nodded "Luke can look after himself. He might look all small and scrawny but he knows how to fight" she said with a small laugh "their names were John and Sherry Whiteson" she said then watched and shook her head "I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea what the hell that is"

"Indeed. It's not far now, just past this hill" Gabriel said. As he walked he asked questions "So, how old are you? How long have your parents been giving you these drinks?" As he came to the top of the hill he saw the bikers compound.

As he walked down he noted no obvious defenses but was sure he was being watched. Gabriel walked, arms stretched out hands open, showing he was not a threat.

Luke followed after the other and tried to get his head around things "Me and my sister are 18. We started drinking them when we were at least 12" he answered then swore "God they've been doing this for 6 years? What the hell kind of parent would do that to their children?" e

The capture neared its paroxysm. However, being approximately a kilometer away from the happening, El could only witness the unfolding of the events via audio. A torture for a natural hunter like her. At least, the frenzy on the other side of the microphone announced one thing: the gap between her and her preys was decreasing... slowly, but steadily. Resolved, she kept running in a straight line, the edges of her black and silver uniform - the proof of her allegiance to OZONE - mirroring into the night.

Suddenly, screams echoed through her monitor. From the audible words, a stranger had just barged in the scene, weapon in hand, in order to help the duo escape. Then, a dozen of shouts and pleas for help later, there was the silence. A deep silence. The ruckus only lasted a minute or so-- and yet. El was so close. So close from where she could have captured these twins. The agent decided to not assume and rushed to the area where her men maybe had fallen. As she ran, someone put El back on the line, briefing what the Organization had witnessed through the city's hacked surveillance cameras. From the biker to the enigmatic black-haired man, everything was calmly described. Without a detail missing.

Still, there was no need for an explanation of what had happened. El had the whole story, there, in front of her eyes. A gigantic mush of blood and history. Nothing could beat the impact of the scenery. Her men were dead, her comrades were dead due to her mistake, of her will to continue the investigations solo. She maybe was accustomed to carnage, but this one simply made her lack of competence a hurtful memory.
She had no right to cry.

"Reporting in." El-Kode uttered after a century-long pause. "Legion number 6 has been annihilated. Cause: unknown. Cause of death: seemingly a blade. Confirmation needed. I request a Health Team on the grounds."

El clenched her fists, exceeded by the situation.

"I'm going to find them. And kill them for good."

"The kind of parents who wanted their kids to be great heroes, or great conquerors. Your parents, what did they tell you of the government?"

Gabriel began to suspect many things about this child and his sister. He urgently needed to speak to this biker, to warn them.

"After I speak to this biker, I will leave, but I will be keeping my eyes on you. Those three thugs were far too few for what you're worth." He looked around the compound "Hello!" He shouted "I'm here with the male twin! We need to speak, yeah?"

"It is a chemical compound known as VIRUAL. It heals most of the damage done on our bodies by the DRIVE compound," Gus grumbled as he filled the syringe with the yellow liquid, "DRIVE is what makes it possible for us nobodies to actually compete with our enemies..." Finding a vein, the biker injected himself. As the liquid entered his blood stream, Gus' face became pale and sweaty. His face twisted into a grotesque form of anger and pain. He dropped the syringe and grabbed his face screaming.

The others in the room ignored Gus' grunting though and were glued on the database screen. Images the Whiteson couple came to the screen with hundreds of pages of information. Smitty was typing at an amazing rate as he tried to hack deeper and deeper, "We got some serious shit here Gus..."

Finally getting over his fit caused by the VIRUAL injection, Gus stood up, "I am sorry you had to see that Anne, but we take a lot of drugs here--"

"BOSSMAN!" yelled the sniper who was on lookout, "The second twin just arrived with the other. Should I---"

"Nothing! Keep your scope on him, we going to talk first--Anne stay here for now please--"

Walking outside he closed the door behind him. Lighting a cigarette, he nodded at Gabriel, "Good work back there.... but whom may I owe the pleasure to?"

Luke shook his head "nothing. They just said they were helping to come up with other ways of getting more people to work for the government. Recruiting and stuff like that" he answered the looked around "is Anne there? Is she ok?" he called

Anne nodded as she listened "but how? Whats the compound made from?" she asked, she was a bit of a nerd and she was VERY good at science. The teen stood shocked at the violent reaction to the drug and shook her head "that..that looked horrible" she muttered softly "DRIVE must have a terrible effect on the human body of it to go in to such pain from being healed" she muttered to herself thoughtfully

(While Gus is outside......)

Smitty turned to Anne and handed her a tablet, "Gus doesn't really know what's in DRIVE and VIRUAL. He just knows that it works," Chuckling he typed a command into the function screen using only one hand, "Here is a summary of both drugs and the chemical composition. Basically the nano-robotics "pretend" to be organic compounds in order to be readily accepted by the brain.... then speed up synaptic communication.... which in turn, allows the human brain to function at the rate of a super computer.... The only problem is that the nanobots can't stop unless killed... basically if the DRIVE drug is allowed to continue to function in the human's brain over an extended period of time, the brain just fries to death.... kind of like an over heated computer!"

Smiling, Smitty hoped he had impressed her a little.

Anne nodded as she listened and smiled "that amazing! Who created them? Do you have blood samples of what Drive looks like in the blood?" she asked then looked away "sorry, my science geek is showing" she said with a laugh before looking back up "but this really in amazing. What about VIRUAL? How does that work?"

Gabriel stood back, arms crossed. "You can call me the Angel of Death" he said to the large biker. "Your compound is in danger. The twins here are highly valuable to very dangerous people."

Gabriel examined the biker's face. "You're a DRIVE user" he said as he flipped a small thumb drive to the biker.

"You'll find details of the government's agents that will be coming for you. I'm going to keep these teens safe, if you endanger them, I will kill you all." Gabriel finished as he turned and began to walk away.

Smitty leaned in closer to Anne and put another command into the tablet to show Anne the blood samples and more history on the drug, "Awwwe come on you are good! Being a geek or nerd just means you are excited about something, no problem there," Smitty went back to his device, "VIRUAL is another nano-compound that enters the brain via blood stream. It is a very simple nano-bot that seeks and destroys the bulk of the DRIVE present in the brain. It does a fantastic job, but it is not sophisticated enough to completely purge the system. VIRUAL kills enough of the DRIVE off so that it doesn't fry the brain within hours, but slowly over years and years the temperature of the brain will increase and fry the brain anyways.... The painful display was what Gus felt when the synopsis in his brain where being assaulted...."

~~

Big Gus took a long drag from his cigarette after pocketing the thumb drive, "You know I am a Drive user... but don't act like your brain isn't fucked up either..." Gus knew the look of those who had fucked up genetics, "How did the government fuck you over... Angel of Death?"

Anne nodded as she listened and quickly read through it all "can't you just put a time limit on it or something? Build in a sort of off switch after a certain amount of time?" she asked then looked at the window and grinned "it's luke" she exclaimed excitedly,

Luke sighed at hearing the two talk and looked up to the window where his sister was waving at him and he waved back. The teen looked at the biker "thank you for saving my sister"

Gabriel turned back around to face the biker. "I guess there's no use in hiding what I am." He said. Gabriel wasn't sure if he could trust these people yet, but his mission was to protect any runners fleeing the city.

Gabriel took a step forward and in an instant was right in front of the biker. The man was much larger than Gabriel, but size meant little. "You will keep these kids safe at all cost, or the full might of the Half Human Legion will destroy you, yeah?"

Gus hated people talking down on him, but he had the composure to not show hostility for no reason. A bead of sweat trickled down his neck, he puffed his cigarette once than spat. Anxiety filled his mind. He wished for a single moment that he had a shot of DRIVE. After a slight pause, Gus made his response without even second guessing.

"I've been fucked by the government since the moment I was conceived to live in this dirty shit-hole," Big Gus said as he looked at the bigger man in the eye. He didn't need to say anything else, because if the Angel of Death was righteous on his purpose he would understand that the biker crew were already enemies of the state.

Big Gus waved the boy inside, "You can take a shower brother," Looking at the angel again he said, "Take your leave, but we go inside to gather information on the matrix and make a move to improve our position. I haven't even looked at the thumb drive, but the information that we mined up on the girl's parents is already damned..."

LUke nodded and limped inside the building, Anne ran to him and helped him walk "Luke you need to have someone look at that ankle, its. Lrealy hurt and it could be really serious" she said worriedly and luke nodded "yeah, OK. But whos going to want to help me? We're just trouble to these people. Why would they help us?"

Status
Not open for further replies.