On The Hunt For Cute Prey AkA Having A Open Relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with people being in an open relationship. I have a very laissez-faire attitude with a lot of things, sex included (no kids though, you sick fuck!), and an open relationship could work with just about anybody if they tried hard enough, or dedicated themselves to it. It's already been said before, but the key to it is being able to draw the line between love and lust. If your partner can keep their heart out of it when they hook up with someone, well... I guess you found the perfect partner for your open relationship, huh?

Personally, I find it very hard to stomach the idea. I'm a little possessive, admittedly, and I'd always be wondering if my partner wouldn't leave me for the new one for [x] issue. They get to experience the other person full on, in every way conceivable, y'know? And who's to tell that the person your partner chooses to sleep with, won't try to also make a very forward attempt at taking them as their own partner! That would be my worry: not necessarily not trusting my partner, but not trusting the other guy who's banging her.

But if I could get over that hangup, I could probably maybe attempt the experiment.

That's not compromise, that's you forcing yourself to engage in unwanted sex.
You should be standing up for yourself and saying no in those situations.
To expand. There's a degree to compromise in relationships. Of course there are give and take elements, but if it's foundation is based on compromise you're doing it wrong. Compromise is the fairest way to give nobody what they want. A relationship should have acceptance and some compromise in it, sure, we're all different people and relationships are hard. However, what you want is consensus. Ways that make both parties happy without them having to compromise strong ideals or kill off strong feelings. You can clash sometimes, but you use that clash and work on your relationship to find both climb to a higher level, not to bring one party down for the other to stand on. As a relationship is not working if you see each other as anything but equal.

Also, obligatory communication mention; communication.
Thanks, I wasn't so sure how to word/explain it.
And this does so perfectly.
I dunno isn't that kind of dependent on what I am okay with personally?? I don't really know what to tell you guys or what further to say about it o-o;

It's your life and your health and this is not the place to discuss this any further. I simply felt the responsibility to speak up. Do or don't with it what you will.

If that's what you want to believe then I'm fine with it but I know in reality that that's not the case. I almost did an essay on it for my English Comm class so I know the chances are low but the very chance of it occurring is what gets me. When the future rolls in and protection makes things virtually impossible to happen then my opinion might be more malleable to change. But until then...nope...not happening...never in a million years.
Vhatever you say. All I know is I had sex vith a couple hundred diferent partners over the last 5 years or so (lost the exact count at one hundred, at least, and that vas years ago), and I'm yet to get knocked-up. So... I'd say its working pretty wel. Granted, probably not a pure 100% protection, but close enogh I guess. :)

I heard certain STDs can cause infertility.
Lol very subtle. XD But if I had a STD I'd know, my monthly physicals wuld show it. I did get one a couple years ago, but I had it treated completly, no lingering efects. Aniway, this is straying off topic.

Thx for the opinions so far all, it vas a very interesting read, and I must say I'm pleasantly suprised at the open-mindedness displayed. :) Sadly, the concept of open relationships is stil a taboo topic vith many ppl.

It's not my cup of tea...then again most relationships aren't.

I dunno isn't that kind of dependent on what I am okay with personally?? I don't really know what to tell you guys or what further to say about it o-o;
Same thing Kestrel said.
Your life, your choice.

I just felt the need to say something.

Reactions: Esmeray
Thx for the opinions so far all, it vas a very interesting read, and I must say I'm pleasantly suprised at the open-mindedness displayed. :) Sadly, the concept of open relationships is stil a taboo topic vith many ppl.
Polyamory is actually slowly becoming more prominent in society, as sexual liberation is the age we live in. Resistance is expected, as would be of any societal change, but online fora and social media allow such ideas to grow much faster because they are not only relatively safe platforms, but also have a considerably wide reach and can spread ideas very quickly. Much of Iwaku's community is very sex-positive and we shouldn't be surprised if polyamory will become socially acceptable within our lifetime.

If I had a significant other that asked for an open relationship, I would tell them that if they want to get fucked by other people so much, they can get fucked. I'd also tell them to try not to let the door hit them on the ass on the way out.

Sure, I have a high sex drive, but I would never seek other women other than my partner to do it with. I like the aspect of sex being something you and your partner share, and it's an emotional thing for me as well. Telling me you want to mess around with other men is not going to fly well with me. If you want to do it so much, I'll do it with you. End of story.

I find it repulsive that an "open relationship" is a thing that people actually do. Obviously some people don't care enough about their partner to devote their heart, body, and soul to them. I only devote myself to one person, and I hope they do the same. Having friends of the opposite gender, or doing smutty rps or whatever is okay. Screwing other men is not.

This isn't even a religious belief, it's part of my morals.

Also, I don't see it as "selfish" or "possessive" to expect my partner to only do that with me, as I hold myself to the same standards. I do think it's selfish, and greedy that someone would go off and see other people openly. It's basically cheating, and both partners are just agreeing to it.

I am also doubly disgusted at the idea that someone in an open relationship would go off and cheat with someone who is in a mono relationship with someone else. It really shows how low their morals are. Besides already being in a terrible relationship, you have the fucking gall to go and ruin someone else's?? People like that don't deserve love.

There's a thin line between shitting on an idea and shitting on people who hold that idea. The above post is teetering on that line. Let's not push it over with heated responses, else this thread may be in for a locking. Keep it civil, shitheads.

And while I'm here, I don't have a problem with consenting adults (or at least people over the age of consent that applies to wherever the fuck they are) doing their own thing and having open relationships. I don't think I'd be down for it, but as with most things I take the stance of "whatever, you do you and I'll do me, it's all good."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Hana and Esmeray
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Don't need it because my wife is submissive and will do pretty much anything to keep my interest.

It works for some people, but not many. It's only a matter of time until they see qualities in the other that they prefer, that's when doubt comes in and problems arise. Not worth the trouble.

Not to mention the social and lawful stigmas. STDs as well.

If I had a significant other that asked for an open relationship, I would tell them that if they want to get fucked by other people so much, they can get fucked. I'd also tell them to try not to let the door hit them on the ass on the way out.

Sure, I have a high sex drive, but I would never seek other women other than my partner to do it with. I like the aspect of sex being something you and your partner share, and it's an emotional thing for me as well. Telling me you want to mess around with other men is not going to fly well with me. If you want to do it so much, I'll do it with you. End of story.

I find it repulsive that an "open relationship" is a thing that people actually do. Obviously some people don't care enough about their partner to devote their heart, body, and soul to them. I only devote myself to one person, and I hope they do the same. Having friends of the opposite gender, or doing smutty rps or whatever is okay. Screwing other men is not.

This isn't even a religious belief, it's part of my morals.

Also, I don't see it as "selfish" or "possessive" to expect my partner to only do that with me, as I hold myself to the same standards. I do think it's selfish, and greedy that someone would go off and see other people openly. It's basically cheating, and both partners are just agreeing to it.

I am also doubly disgusted at the idea that someone in an open relationship would go off and cheat with someone who is in a mono relationship with someone else. It really shows how low their morals are. Besides already being in a terrible relationship, you have the fucking gall to go and ruin someone else's?? People like that don't deserve love.
Now thats the kind of response I vas expecting from the start, and vas suprised not to see one so far. But I'm actualy happy I seen one now, since so far it all looked almost too good to be real. XD Now I'm reassured that the world I know and love so much hasnt lost its self-righteus streak. Thanx sweety, your a true moralist, little ppl like me can just gaze in awe at your high morality. Kiss-kiss! :)

I am not capable of this at all. I'm a die hard romantic and get very attached to people, and it would break my heart. I don't believe monogamy is for everyone, and I respect that, but it's the only thing for me. I'm not capable of sharing my heart with multiple people and it would just break me if my partner needed to find someone else to share hers with. That's why I believe it's so important to find someone you're compatible with, in all ways, especially sexually. I cannot comprehend folks who are in a relationship with someone who has a sex drive opposite to theirs. I can't see that ending in a positive way. I'm not very sexual, and wouldn't pursue a relationship with someone who was. That dynamic wouldn't be fair to either of us. I'm not going to force myself to have sex when I don't want it, and nor should anyone have to stop having sex as often as they want to for another person. Sexual compatibility is super mega important, my gosh.

I also once had a partner basically force an open relationship on me, which wasn't fun. No, that wasn't fun at all.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Windsong
I am not capable of this at all. I'm a die hard romantic and get very attached to people, and it would break my heart. I don't believe monogamy is for everyone, and I respect that, but it's the only thing for me. I'm not capable of sharing my heart with multiple people and it would just break me if my partner needed to find someone else to share hers with. That's why I believe it's so important to find someone you're compatible with, in all ways, especially sexually. I cannot comprehend folks who are in a relationship with someone who has a sex drive opposite to theirs. I can't see that ending in a positive way. I'm not very sexual, and wouldn't pursue a relationship with someone who was. That dynamic wouldn't be fair to either of us. I'm not going to force myself to have sex when I don't want it, and nor should anyone have to stop having sex as often as they want to for another person. Sexual compatibility is super mega important, my gosh.

I also once had a partner basically force an open relationship on me, which wasn't fun. No, that wasn't fun at all.

That's a fairly good point. Sexual compatibility is such a huge, important part of a relationship; why would someone disregard it when they start dating someone? It'd be like ignoring how someone feels about children, or marriage. You don't get with someone who doesn't want children--at all--when you yourself, look forward to bringing kids into the world.

I'm sorry to hear about that last part though. :( Good thing that's behind you.

Ok that is just... wrong. So sory to hear that, I hope you dumped the asshole in a hurry.

I think it depends on where you on in the spectrum of sexuality. Your own moral upbringing. How you were raised and what kind of relationships you've been in.

For me, I don't mind an open relationship. But I'm asexual, so I wouldn't participate in anything outside of the relationship I have with said person. People are all differently made, differently wired, their brain's connect in different ways to different circumstances. I'm weird in that I find sexual attraction outside of myself. I dissociate myself from any kind of sexual activity, so I find my pleasure in myself primarily, in finding something on the internet or a nice erotic novel or simply my imagination. Outside of that zone, I'm fairly uncomfortable with physical intimacy. I'm fairly repulsed by the actual practice of sex itself.

I also romanticize everything, so I'm more prone to being shocked when presented with the actual thing.

Anyway, your relationship with your boyfriend is perfectly normal. And it's perfectly normal to think that what you're doing is strengthening your bond. Because it most likely is. You can devote yourself to one person while having sex with someone else. Of course, consent is definitely a requirement for anything that you do. Consent goes a long way and that's where trust truly lies: in telling someone you love that you aren't okay with something and trusting them to adhere to that.

I mean, I'm fairly sure that it's all about yourself personally. It has nothing to do with morality aside from the consent you and your partner give each other (and consent they give and get from other people, obviously). It's not morally wrong to want or to have an open relationship. I think a lot of people make sex to be this big thing, something that carries emotional weight and that should carry that weight. That it should be the climax (pardon my pun) of a relationship. I mean, that's your prerogative, definitely, but to expect someone to feel the same as you seems ignorant? But, me personally, I find romance in the smaller things, rather than the act of coitus itself. To me, sex is just an optional physical act of pleasuring yourself and your partner. Neither selfish or selfless. You care for another as you care for yourself. It's kind of hard to explain. I'll just leave it at: I don't think sex is a big deal.

To be in a relationship with someone who's aromantic and not want to understand where they're coming from, though, how they feel, and instead judging them and telling them that their lack of monogamy is repulsive? That's a great way of telling someone that they aren't normal and that they should, in fact, feel repulsed with themselves.

Regardless, polyamory, being aromantic, and all across that spectrum. Just wanting to spice up your sex life? Those should never be considered negatives. Just because you're having sex with multiple other people doesn't mean you can't be madly in love with one person, dedicate your entire self to them. But maybe that's because I don't see sex as anything other than an act of carnality. Sex with a random stranger can be and mean something entirely different to sex with someone you've dedicated your life to, you know what I mean?

As an example, I can be in a relationship with someone who's aromantic. I cannot satisfy them sexually, but they can find people who can. However, even if I do give that person sex, they have given me, have offered me, have let me have something that none of those other individuals will ever have. I have his love. I have his devotion. I know his favorite movie, favorite candy, they way he smiles at certain things, or the way his eyes light up when he's talking about something he's passionate about. I know the various secrets he won't share with others or the things that have been so far repressed as to only appear in the little things he does or doesn't do.

What I'm saying is. Him giving people sex is as trivial and as meaningless as him greeting someone off the street with a curt hello.

Having sex with someone does not invite them into your life, your passions, your desires (aside from the carnal) and it doesn't give them a one way ticket to your heart. Sex and romance are not mutually exclusive you can have one or the other or you can have both together, it depends on you and the person of your affections.

tl;dr: If the guy I'm dating trusts me enough to ask me if I'd be okay with an open relationship, then I will sure as shit say yes. Because one, they asked for my consent in the matter, which means they obviously care for me and my feelings; two, I more than likely don't satisfy them sexually and that's okay because I know personally that I won't (I'll repeat it: I'm asexual, I don't have the desire to have sex); three, I'll know where their heart lies regardless of where their dick goes; four, he'll know if he doesn't use protection, I'm going to rip that dick off with my bare hands and feed it to sharks.

You and your guy obviously have a good thing going. And, though you say you aren't ready for commitment, it very much seems to me that you're already both very committed to each other and very devoted to each other, as well. If it works it works? If it doesn't, that's just because one or both of you just can't do it long term. It doesn't mean that these relationships can't and won't work, it just means it's not a fit for you or him or both personally.

And if you ever doubt anything or if he ever doubts anything, that's normal. That's okay. Everyone's going to hit a bump once in a while. Someone's going to get too jealous or someone's not going to feel they're adequate enough for the other. During those points, you may just want to slow down, find each other again and make sure you're both on the same page before you go at it with another person once more. Of course, take my advice with a grain of salt because you'll need to find what'll work for yourself on your own. I'm a stranger. I don't know you personally, so my advice is just something to contemplate and try out. If it doesn't work, it just means you work differently.

It's not cheating if everyone has consented prior. Why? Because they consented. Just like it's not rape if both parties have consented to have sex with each other. It's as simple as tea.

Also, I would like to add that love is not finite. I and anyone else in this world can give love freely and will 100% not run out of it, regardless of personality and view of the world.

Also, if you needed more examples listen to Someone New by Hozier. It's more of an aromantic song but it explains the concept well enough that you can understand the sexuality and people who identify as such much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
I'm okay with other people being in open relationships. Your kind of relationship were you people get jealous over each other's lovers and get inspired by that to spice up your sex life doesn't appeal to me, I don't think jealousy and competition is something that should be in a relationship, but eh, if you're fine with it and it works for the two of you, you do you.

I definitely don't think it's for everyone, myself included. It's silly to say sex is completely detached from bonds and romantic feelings. It might be like that to some people, but definitely not for everyone. And not just women, contrary to the stereotype. I've seen male friends of mine going head over heels for a girl they had sex with once, and wanted to pursue a relationship with them only to be rejected.

On my side, I don't feel sexually attracted to strangers, or to people I know too little, and being in an open relationship having sex with all of my friends sounds like it could only end wrong. Plus sex and romance are thightly related for me, and even if I'm capable of having sex just for scratching that itch because my libido is on fire, I still have to do it with my boyfriend. My heart would break if I didn't get some romance and cuddling afterwards. (Plus I don't have any attractive friends. They're just-- ew. xD )

But! Even if open relationships aren't for me, what I see in good eyes are polyamorous relationships. I'd like one. I have lots of love to give, and like to be loved, and to have a relationship with more than two people where we all love each other and are into each other sounds great for me. I still don't think I could pull it off. I'm very insecure, and I think I'd always be worried about my partners preferring each other and leaving me to be together alone. But if I ever get over my insecurity and low self esteem, it's something I'd like to try. ((How does a couple go about finding a third person though? I don't even know how to get a boyfriend/girlfriend, I didn't go actively looking for the one I'm with now, so I can't even figure out how to look for a second one.))

Status
Not open for further replies.