On The Backs Of Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oral blocked out all of the sound that Kim was making. Were they words? Was she laughing at him? He didn't know, and he didn't necessarily care to find out. The song 'Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes' played in his head, and he wanted to play the record player again. He looked over to the machine, but as fate may have it, Kim broke through his cycle of thought. He looked over at her, and raised an eyebrow.

"Huh? I didn't quite catch that. Something about an... er, a game?" He smiled partly, and crossed his arms over his chest. "Well, I'm glad you took me up on the offer, finally. This'll be good." Oral pulled up a chair, and sat right on it, crossing his legs as he did so. "So, let's play the..... the... " He paused for a moment. He didn't really think he'd ever played a game. Well, atleast, not in a long time. He sighed absently, and thought of a quick one.

"Lets play the question game. I'll ask you a question, and you answer, and then you ask a question! Okay, so, question number one; what's your full name? It was blank on the file-- well, I really didn't get a file, but I had a feeling that it was you and all, but I don't know a whole damn lot about you."

Kim sighed deeply. Had he been born with some kind of brain damage? Or had it come right before his death? Because no normal human being could have such poor concentration ability as him. He couldn't even listen to her for two seconds before loosing interest in what she was saying. How was that even possible? Would he listen if she kicked him between the legs a couple of times? It would most likely not help much as he were dead already, so the likelihood that he would be able to feel pain was terribly slim. Though it did feel incredibly tempting at the moment.

"You have a worse attention span than a five year old on a sugar kick." She told him, wondering if he would even be able to play the game for more than a minute for changing the subject again.

"Fine, I'll play with you." She then said. Maybe she could figure things out through the game and then make him leave. "My name's Kim Stephens." Why did he even want to know her full name? It wasn't like he needed to know her surname to do whatever his job was as an angel.

"My turn. Are you serious with the task God gave to you, or did you only come here to play around?" It must be a pretty shitty God if that bastard decided to send someone like him to her. Oral would no nothing but make everything in her life so much worse. Didn't that fool on a cloud realize that? So much for omniscience.

Oral actually listened when she happened to say that she'd play with him. Well, it was about time he got the respect he deserved! He made himself comfortable in the chair, and listened to her answer. Stephens? What a common name. It was sad, actually. Unlike Melto. Now THAT was a good last name! He didn't get distracted with himself this time around, though, and listened to the question.

Well, what a repetitive question. He sighed, and shook his head, with a small chuckle. "Have you been listening to me at all, Kimmy?" He asked, almost on queue for sarcasm. "I was sent by Him himself. Yes, I really am an angel. If I wasn't why would I be able to hover in the air?" Oral asked, with a smug grin. He then stood up, and displayed his odd ability to hover a whopping four inches off of the ground. "Pretty neat, huh?"

Kim rolled her eyes. He clearly hadn't heard a word of what she had said. "I'm listening much better than you do." She told him. It was as if she was speaking to a child. How in the world could she get his attention? "I did not ask you if God had sent you. I asked if you took your task seriously or if you rather ditch it for some stupid games."

Another sigh escaped her. If only she could get a dollar for every time he made her sigh. It would definitely make her rich within a week. "And don't call me Kimmy. It sounds childish and it's annoying." She then corrected him. Now when he seemed to be listening somewhat, maybe he would get that through his head. If not she could always try to kick some senses into him. Even if it would be impossible to hurt him, at the very least it would be a relaxing thing to do.

Oral rolled his eyes in return to her eye rolling. Oh, he made it a note to call her Kimmy from now on. Nothing was ever going to stop him from it! Maybe she might like it eventually. It'll make his life way better. Oral listened to what she had to say about him not listening, ironically, and he proceeded to pretend that he didn't hear her. "Uh, DUH I'm going to take this seriously. " He said seriously. "If I wasn't, why would God give me the job?" Please, it was like she expected him to be Aziraphale from Good Omens or something.

"I plan by getting the job done BY playing games. So it's more enjoyable." He explained triumphantly. "Are you going to keep asking stupid questions? It's really bumming me out. " He paused. "Do people still say that? Bummed?" He never did get the year.

Kim must have sighed for the hundredth time already, but she couldn't help it. That guy was just so unbelievably annoying. "Dun now! Some 10th graders might still be that lame." She answered him, not even caring to think about it more. Bummed was certainly not dead yet, but the people she knew didn't use it. It probably depended on where one lived.

"And my question wasn't dumb. Of course one would want to know if you take it seriously when you just keep playing around and make me look stupid in front of my dad. It seriously feels like you were sent by the devil." Kim then pointed out. The way Oral had acted definitely didn't fit what an angel should be. At least not from what she had seen on TV or read in books. Angels should be good, not do mistakes and so on and so forth. He on the other hand seemed like any ordinary guy, joking around and being annoying. To think he would be a guardian angel seemed like the biggest joke of the history.

Sent by the devil? The DEVIL? Oh, Oral had never been so insulted in his life! Er... Afterlife, but you get the point. He put a hand on his chest and held it there, as if he had been struck in the heart. And he was! Her words were so painful... Well, as painful as it could get. Oral protectively backed from the girl, and hovered nearer towards the record player. What had he done to deserve such harsh treatment? Surely she should be thankful!

"What have I ever done to you but ask you harmless questions? I swear, it's like you WANT me to never get my wings. " He rolled his eyes, and sat down gently. "Here, here, we started off badly. My name is Oral Malto. You're Kimmy. We're going to be bestest friends, and we're going to have sleepovers and we're going to be happy." He said, crossing his arms. "Whether the weather is cold, or whether the weather be hot, we'll weather the weather-- whatever the weather! Whether we like it or not."

'Quite frankly, I don't give much of a damn about your wings!' Kim thought to herself. If he had been a bit less annoying she might have wanted to help him out, but as it was now she might just have to get an exorcist. Did they even work on angels?

Kim shook her head and tried to keep calm. If she started to scream at him, then her dad would send her to a mental institution. "I'm Kim. Not Kimmy, not Kimberly, or any other form of the name. Just Kim." She corrected him again. He was clearly just doing it for fun. What an angel. More like a little kid. "If I help you get your damn wings, will you leave me alone after that?" She finally asked him. Clearly she wouldn't get rid of him just by yelling. If she played his game, then maybe, just maybe, he would leave and never come back. If he wasn't one of her illusions of course, then he would forever haunt her, to eternity and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.