"On-line" Dating

I'm sorry was that....was that important? Were you keeping it? I thought it was...garbage....

*tips over trashcan, crumpled tissues spilling everywhere*

I won't say whether it will work, or not. I had one, once. IT ENDED IN DISAPPOINTMENT. XD

Also, met a guy at a fencing tournament, but he was from London, so we communicated via internets. I went out on what I refer to as my "trans-atlantic booty call," where I hopped on a plane, nearly got arrested in Canada en route, and visited the guy. It turned out to be very anti-climatic.

That's when I decided no long-distance or internet. :P

I say it works and doesn't work. I've seen examples on both sides. Ending in burning failure flames and disappointment or in a marriage and kids.

I guess it just depends on your commitment and the ability of either party to leave when they want to visit. Some people turn to the internet to get away from their prior commitments and everyday life. Often times those people don't have the resources to go country/globe-hopping.

But there are also those people who find internet romances only because they like the thrill of "romance" and not the commitment of a relationship. They break off once it starts to get too serious.

No. Simply put, where's the sex?

YES! You stole the words right out of my brain.

I'm sure there's a lot of people that will disagree with this, buuuuuuut! I view sex as a very important part of a relationship. There are two things that make a relationship awesome: Personality & sex! In my current relationship, I get both.

I just couldn't imagine being in a relationship with someone and not having sex with them... That just seems silly. I have a sexless relationship with my friends, I don't need to have a sexless relationship with my boyfriend... Does that make sense?

Just personality and sex? Jeez, so much for communication, love, adventure, and other traits that make a relationship "awesome."

It's not silly to have a sexless relationship. It just means they want to wait and see if the relationship matures into something serious. And if it does? Congrats!

I started dating my boyfriend a few weeks before he came to visit me for the first time. So I already liked him a lot to begin with; and yeah, he has a great personality. But when he visited me that first time, I didn't jump straight into sex. Hell, we've been dating for year and we still haven't had sex (granted we do tons of other stuff, but not the home run yet). Am I going to have sex with him? Well, I feel this relationship has grown a lot over the year and I've BEEN ready, so yes.

So, while I do agree that sex is important, it shouldn't be number one on the person's wants in a relationship. Especially in the whole "online dating" category; I mean, if people seriously say no to a boy/girl they like simply because they're not going to get sex out of it is: 1) dumb because you should AT least give the relationship a chance, and 2) makes you look like a douche bag because all you want to get is sex out of it.

Just personality and sex? Jeez, so much for communication, love, adventure, and other traits that make a relationship "awesome."

When I say personality, I mean all those other things you listed... Someone's personality makes communication, love and adventure part of the relationship.

BAD NECCY!

You are living up to your new name.... sheesh...

Clover, however, I have to take a less severe version of Neccy's argument.

Me and Ryk have been going out for a little more than four years. I love him to death, and as everyone knows, he's got OODLES of personality. We haven't had sex yet due to situational shit.

And I don't even really care.... Hell, being with him is like breathing. It's unconditional.

Maybe it's because me and sex aren't that close. But, I know who I want to be with when I'm screaming and cursing in the delivery room if that ever happens....

I dunno, that's my view.

My post wasn't meant to be rude, if so, I apologize. I just say it like it is.

But yes, TK simplified it into a nicer version for me :P

I say: If it makes you happy, Do it. Even if it just stays online.

Meeting in RL and having sex is awesome too though.

I guess there is not right or wrong response to this online dating question. Everyone has different views on their type of relationship. Where TK is content being with Ryk without having sex with him (SOOO cute BTW) I can't keep my freaking hands off my boyfriend. Mind you, we're not ripping off each others clothes every chance we get, we just really enjoy each others company, physically and emotionally, and I couldn't imagine not having sex with him.

I've never tried it, but hey, if you think it can work, go for it. Just understand it's gonna require a shit-ton more effort than a face-to-face relationship would.

Wouldn't work for me, personally; I can't help but agree with Razilin and Clover's points that sex and other such physical contact is integral in a relationship. But it does sometimes work out; Diana and Gibs, TK and Ryker are all testaments to that fact.

Personal choice, really. You wanna do it? Go right ahead.

Reactions: 1 person
I will restate an old opinion of mine.

I've never had a Relationship. therefore my lack of experience in these matters means i can have no true opinion regarding whether or not such relationships can work.

I Do however beleive that Vay, Grumpy and a few others are like Brothers to me (sure not as brotherly as my mates in real life, but they're still higher than many i know.) just as I consider TK to be like a sister.

So i cans ee how people could go down this road, though i doubt i myself would be able to.

If I find the right person, I'd give online dating a try. I had three relationships that way and, although it didn't end as well as one would think, I'm not about to say 'hell no' to it.

I know the first time I had a serious online relationship it went 3 years and I only saw the guy twice in real life. And it just got to the point where it wasn't enough for me. x__x So even thought I still loved him, I couldn't deal with long-distance anymore and not getting the physical togetherness of the relationship.

I then swore off online dating forever! ....that obviously didn't last. XD I had two other BFs after that, one real life and one online (where I actually visited the guy near right-away!) before me and Gibs finally started dating! And I made sure he knew I wasn't going to wait years before we got to see each other in person. >>;

So yes, it's definitely depending on what you need/want out of the relationship too!

Oddly enough, it's easier for me to get to know people online and "get them" than it is in person. c___c I don't really know why at all.

I've had quite a few online relationships, especially back in old Iwaku. I don't recall any of them actually ending very well, only that the emotional connection was very real and filling till the sense of physical loneliness started to intrude on the closeness. As I'm currently dating at the moment I'm not as open to the online relationships as I once was...and certainly they can be a hazard if your parents believe everyone on the internet has a handaxe and mastery in locational hacking.

I wracked up a 1000 dollar phone bill talking to Simica due to my overestimation of Verizon's coverage plan...that certainly didn't go well.

All in all, online relationships can work so long as you're willing to make a physical sacrifice to maintain it. Emotional connection is powerful, but sometimes I just want to be there to hold the person I care about.

Date those you want to date and enjoy the time you spend with them.

S'all I'm saying.

It does take effort and a HELL of a lot of self control, but it can be done.

From previous experience, though, I suggest an open relationship, unless you can handle copious amounts of time with no sex.

Yeah, It's the pussy version of a long-distance relationship, but if you really love the person, Fate will make it work out.