Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't skim through the thread... read it. Every post makes part of the story, so just think of an RP as a book, and read everything, so you don't miss stuff. I'd hate to think we have people who "skim" through novels, just so they can read the parts that interest them. Miss so much that way...
Let me rephrase. I'll give everything an actual read-through at least once, but, if I'm just trying to manage everything as a GM and make sense of where everything is... I don't always have time to give everything a super-close read.

Additionally, sometimes it is literally difficult to process the words of an IC post. At least for me personally. When I read books, I sometimes find that I have no idea what was said in the last two paragraphs, and I have to go back and re-read. I also -- funnily enough have trouble remembering where certain characters are and what they're doing.

That being said, I can also take my time with a book. Sometimes I might even decide to come back to it another day if I just can't concentrate well enough at a certain time. Also, my ability to follow what's happening in a book isn't nearly as important as being able to follow what's happening here, where everyone's ability to follow what's happening actually influences what happens next. The author of a novel doesn't get confused over where his characters are. And even if he does, he can always edit and rearrange. He doesn't have to communicate these things with other people in order to put words on a page.

Additionally, when it comes to posts for characters/groups that you're currently interacting with, then, yeah, it makes sense to give everything a good read and really enjoy it. But, in order to just make sense of what's happening... one shouldn't have to give the text such a close read in order to decipher that. At the very least, it leaves you wide open for easy mistakes, which then cause other people to make mistakes as they pass on false information, thus creating a whole chain reaction of problems that, sometimes, brings the thread to a complete halt as I attempt to sort through everything that happened.

I understand the value of giving something a post a close read and enjoying it just for its own sake. But most of the time, when I'm trying to figure this stuff out, I already have read a post at least once, and now I'm trying to quickly scroll through a thread and re-read to figure out what's happening. And it's easy for my brain to get lost in the details.

Ordinarily, I don't make such a big fuss about this sort of thing. But given all of the repeated problems that have come up in this thread in particular? We need a clearer and more concise way of communicating these kinds of things, so that everyone's on the same page about what's happening. My co-GM's and I have been trying some things, but it's a work-in-progress. And when things haven't been working as well, then, yes, I'm open to suggestions such as these which will make it a lot easier for someone to quickly get a basic idea of what's happening, so that they can then go back and closely read other posts, once they're not confused about the big picture.

Hell, give me a "tl;dr" version of any one of your posts, and I'll probably enjoy the real version even more when I go back to re-read it, because then I'm not getting lost in the details and failing to comprehend even the basic gist of it.

And, if I picked up a novel, for no other reason than wanting to find a specific passage in that novel, because I was planning on referencing that information for something else? You'd better believe I'm skimming to just that part, because at that point, I'm not just reading for leisure. I'm trying to figure out something specific. And being able to quickly and easily find the thing that I want makes that process much easier. It's why I wish it were somehow possible to do a ctrl + F on a physical book, and I'm probably not the only one.

Reactions: Eruantien
Let me rephrase. I'll give everything an actual read-through at least once, but, if I'm just trying to manage everything as a GM and make sense of where everything is... I don't always have time to give everything a super-close read.

Additionally, sometimes it is literally difficult to process the words of an IC post. At least for me personally. When I read books, I sometimes find that I have no idea what was said in the last two paragraphs, and I have to go back and re-read. I also -- funnily enough have trouble remembering where certain characters are and what they're doing.

That being said, I can also take my time with a book. Sometimes I might even decide to come back to it another day if I just can't concentrate well enough at a certain time. Also, my ability to follow what's happening in a book isn't nearly as important as being able to follow what's happening here, where everyone's ability to follow what's happening actually influences what happens next. The author of a novel doesn't get confused over where his characters are. And even if he does, he can always edit and rearrange. He doesn't have to communicate these things with other people in order to put words on a page.

Additionally, when it comes to posts for characters/groups that you're currently interacting with, then, yeah, it makes sense to give everything a good read and really enjoy it. But, in order to just make sense of what's happening... one shouldn't have to give the text such a close read in order to decipher that. At the very least, it leaves you wide open for easy mistakes, which then cause other people to make mistakes as they pass on false information, thus creating a whole chain reaction of problems that, sometimes, brings the thread to a complete halt as I attempt to sort through everything that happened.

I understand the value of giving something a post a close read and enjoying it just for its own sake. But most of the time, when I'm trying to figure this stuff out, I already have read a post at least once, and now I'm trying to quickly scroll through a thread and re-read to figure out what's happening. And it's easy for my brain to get lost in the details.

Ordinarily, I don't make such a big fuss about this sort of thing. But given all of the repeated problems that have come up in this thread in particular? We need a clearer and more concise way of communicating these kinds of things, so that everyone's on the same page about what's happening. My co-GM's and I have been trying some things, but it's a work-in-progress. And when things haven't been working as well, then, yes, I'm open to suggestions such as these which will make it a lot easier for someone to quickly get a basic idea of what's happening, so that they can then go back and closely read other posts, once they're not confused about the big picture.

Hell, give me a "tl;dr" version of any one of your posts, and I'll probably enjoy the real version even more when I go back to re-read it, because then I'm not getting lost in the details and failing to comprehend even the basic gist of it.

And, if I picked up a novel, for no other reason than wanting to find a specific passage in that novel, because I was planning on referencing that information for something else? You'd better believe I'm skimming to just that part, because at that point, I'm not just reading for leisure. I'm trying to figure out something specific. And being able to quickly and easily find the thing that I want makes that process much easier. It's why I wish it were somehow possible to do a ctrl + F on a physical book, and I'm probably not the only one.

That would be helpful, indeed.

And I wasn't speaking of you, personally, but of everyone who has such issues. Heh. Been in threads a lot less involved than this, where it seemed others just didn't bother to read, and therefore wrote posts that didn't make sense, in context. Skimming after you've already read, well, that's not the issue I was addressing. That is a handy way to "refresh". I've just had to deal with those who seem to just "skim" on the first read, and therefore post without really knowing what's what.

You've already made clear your issues, so, however you make it work, works. Even I have trouble keeping track, given all the character movement in this thread. Makes it a fun challenge! We should all be having fun. And I do hope my posts have been entertaining. Any confusion issues, let me know.

@gamer5 @Shinku⭐Kun @IceQueen @Psuedoku @Sail @Katharina @Takashi @Yorika @Rowdybull @Roose Hurro @Sail @munchkinomatic @Eruantien

I'm home, and the house is warm -- but there's still no internet. I can use my phone's wi-fi hotspot when needed (which is how I'm online right now), but that uses up data, so I'd prefer to use it sparingly. Hopefully it'll be back on in another day or so, but, until then, don't expect me to spend a ton of time just hanging out online. I'll still hopefully get at least some RP-related stuff done in the meantime, though. After all, I don't need internet access to write IC posts -- I only need two brief windows of connectivity: one to load up the IC pages I'll be replying to, and another to actually post the content once I'm finished typing it. The actual writing process can be done entirely in "offline mode", so to speak. :P

I'll of course be sure to let you all know when the internet is back on.

• Thank You
Reactions: Roose Hurro
Hopefully the internet comes back swiftly!

@Luma
It is okay if I make a Vori character? I've been looking forward to this for a long time, but now that I'm not that busy, I can make another character.

• Love
Reactions: Luma
@Luma
It is okay if I make a Vori character? I've been looking forward to this for a long time, but now that I'm not that busy, I can make another character.
Sure, glad you like the race enough to make a character xD

Reactions: Stray Shinku
@Luma
This one going to be a hard character to make once again (why this have to happen to me all the damn time...)

Anyways, I'm not going to simply give up. I loved this Vori race. So, for not screw up like I did while creating Azrael, I have a few questions for you (hope that doesn't bother you and sorry...):

1. What powers/abilities a Vori can have?

2. How old can a character be before becoming a Vori? I'm kind of confused about this age thing because I've read Luna's background and she sounded like she was an adult woman that write fiction books and which age appearance changed when a Vori gave her his magic.

• Love
@Luma
This one going to be a hard character to make once again (why this have to happen to me all the damn time...)

Anyways, I'm not going to simply give up. I loved this Vori race. So, for not screw up like I did while creating Azrael, I have a few questions for you (hope that doesn't bother you and sorry...):

1. What powers/abilities a Vori can have?

2. How old can a character be before becoming a Vori? I'm kind of confused about this age thing because I've read Luna's background and she sounded like she was an adult woman that write fiction books and which age appearance changed when a Vori gave her his magic.
  1. Just about anything. All of them have magic sight, enhanced digestive systems, and the ability to 'turn' other races through their eyes. After that, it entirely depends on what they've been eating. There's still GM discretion, but otherwise, go crazy.
  2. They can be any age and almost any species at the time of changing. After they become a Vori, their body generally changes to a youthful version of that race. How youthful depends on the character, usually between 12 and 25. And of course if they eat shapeshifting magic, they can look like anything.

May I join you all? I'm heading to bed now but I thought I'd ask now. I am thinking Demigorgon as a race. I'll whip it up in the morning if I am allowed.

Human esqye but connected to an abysmal plane directly. Chaos/Wild Magic infused. Demonology and summoners.

Last edited:
May I join you all? I'm heading to bed now but I thought I'd ask now. I am thinking Demigorgon as a race. I'll whip it up in the morning if I am allowed.

Human esqye but connected to an abysmal plane directly. Chaos/Wild Magic infused. Demonology and summoners.
^^ There's always room for more!

I'm not sure what you mean by "Demigoron", though. Normally the "demi-" prefix would imply something like... half-goron.

I'm also confused by your use of the term "demonology". Demons are their own race with their own ambassador, after all. Evoking that name might make things more complicated if the thing that you're trying to convey doesn't have to be connected to this particular brand of demons.

But those are all things that can be worked out as the race sheet is coming together.

Reactions: Angelic Fusion
Finally finished, @Luma. Again, took me almost all day. Please, tell me if there things that need to be edited or added.

t011e4e35ab79a491f9.jpg
Name: Lucifer
Race: Vori
Original Race: Human
Apparent Age: 16 years old
Actual Age: 140 years old

Appearance:
Lucifer's skin is creamy white, but sometimes, some people may find the tone a bit darker if they look at him from afar. He's slightly thin but has a pretty muscular torso and arms (this is because he secretly workout when extremely bored) and stands an incredible height of 6'.1". Sadly for him, his high height and muscular body make him look kind of intimidating, making almost everyone avoid him. His straight, short hair is black with a touch of dust and his eyes are bright purple (they were blue when he was a human). As for clothing, Lucifer prefers to use any kind of casual clothes, but he never goes out without a lab coat and a handy pair of boots.

Backstory:
Born from a couple of an inventor man and novels writer woman, his mother named him Lucifer because after facing so many problems alongside her husband through her life, he was a beautiful miracle that brought a light of hope. And so, the lovely couple decided to give Lucifer a great life.

Thanks to her mother and father jobs, Lucifer acquired a big interest in books and machinery. His first gifts were a cute little lab coat and a fantasy children book written by her own mother. And from that point and as Lucifer grew older, his passion for these two things only got bigger, deciding to become the greatest inventor and writer of all time. It was obviously a dream that seemed impossible, but giving up was something that wasn't in Lucifer's mind.

He began to read every book of every library he found, absorbing and gaining knowledge like a bookworm. During his free time, he built stuff, his first complete invention been a small electric engine he made as a science project in his school. That type of engine has been built before and there were cars that were using it, but because Lucifer was only 12 years old and was able to make a compact version of such complex invention, he earned a lot of awards and a few elite schools came to him, promising that if he join them, they will help him to become a greater young genius. Unfortunately for them, Lucifer rejected all the offers, believing that studying in a greater school will restrict him in accomplishing his dream. And so, he decided to go on his own and explore the wonders of the world by himself.

At the age of 45, Lucifer archived a lot of dreams he once had when he was younger: he read more than a half of the books from the world's biggest library, wrote best-selling sci-fi novels and handy engineering book guides ("Everybody Can Build Things" earning him a Nobel Prize) and created machinery inventions that some companies decided to used. He also had traveled around the world a couple of times to explore new places. He definitely felt like a complete man that finally discovered the secrets of the whole planet, but little he knew that his whole life would change after meeting a beautiful yet strange teenage-looking woman named Leona.

Everything happened when Lucifer was building a compact version of Alexander Graham Bell's telephone in the backyard of his house, just for fun and to see if it's possible. Leona appeared all of a sudden, wearing a curious black robe with golden trim/edges. She also had a small silver dragon tattoo on her right cheek. Intrigued by her, Lucier stopped working and assaulted her with questions, some which Leona answered. After Lucifer randomly told her that he knew all the secrets of the world after reading thousands and thousand of books, Leona burst out laughing, thinking it was actually a good joke. Lucifer felt offended and demanded her an apology, which Leona ignored, revealing him that what he knows was just a small part of the huge mysteries still waiting to be discovered.

"What if I told you that I can give you something that will expand everything you know and open your mind to the unseen world?" she told him, smirking and waiting for an answer. Obviously, Lucifer looked at her with disbelief, but some part of him was curious. Is it possible that all this time he thought he was like some kind of knowledge god was just a fantasy and that there's a lot more he didn't know out there? There was a slight change that what Leona said was true. "If that's true, I'll gladly accept it, miss," he answered with a nod, fixing his coat with his hands. With his answer, Leona explained him with a serious expression that such "gift" requires him to endure the most painful experience of his life, but Lucifer still agreed to take the gift.

Grinning, Leona made the procedure that lasted only 10 minutes but felt like an eternity for Lucifer, which almost passed out and puked. After recovering from the pain, Lucifer felt like a brand new being: his blue eyes were now bright purple and his appearance was like a 14 years old teenager. His world definitely changed and was beginning to believe in magic. After the transformation, Leona decided to stay with him long enough to teach him everything about the Vori. Then, she left, explaining to him that she cannot stay longer because she was been hunted by a group of Vori.

For the next 140 years, Lucifer spent them exploring the vast hidden wonders of the world, some of them he read in books and thought they were only a myth. Of course, he also fed on the magic particles that were invisible from the human eye. By this time, his body aged about the human equivalent of 2 years old. Recently, he heard from inhuman species about a special academy where magic and other strange things were the usual. And so, Lucifer decided to pack his stuff and travel to that place, hoping to find more knowledge.

Personality:
Lucifer is a very energetic and extremely curious guy that has an open mind to pretty much everything. His hunger for knowledge makes him find even the slightest and boring thing totally interesting and worth to investigate. So, people say that his hunger for knowledge just keeps growing the more he discovers. Playful, friendly and really loyal, Lucifer has earned a lot of friends and even a few girls in love with him, but so far, he hasn't found that special someone.

Even when his name is Lucifer, he sometimes refers to himself as the "Walking Wisdom" because he's actually proud of all the knowledge he has gained all these years and is more than glad to share it with anyone. After all, he isn't shy and he will talk to any person without any problem, not minding if they aren't happy with that.

When somebody asks him about his inventions, Lucifer gets really excited, like a child with a sugar rush. He will talk about them and make sure that the person understands them completely and if they're lucky, he will let them try them like an old teacher in front of his students.

Most of the time, you will see Lucifer running from one place to another wearing his lab coat and strange looking goggles while holding a pocket size vacuum-like equipment as he hunts down the delicious aura nodes that are so important to him. If he's not hunting, he can be found in the backyard of the Academy, building another oddity to add to his collection.

Magical Powers:
The Inventor's Blessing - Lucifer's main magical power that he managed to acquire after eating a mysterious and old book related to ancient inventions that got lost in time. With this power, Lucifer is able to build and understand even the strangest equipment and if he ever runs out of the materials required for such invention, he can simply choose other materials and magically transform them into those needed. Also, the tools he uses will never break as long as he's touching them.

Magical Energy Transfer (M.E.T.) - Another ability that totally comes in handy for Lucifer. Sometimes, Lucifer eats way too many aura nodes, making him feel dizzy and heavy. When this happens, he's able to transfer all that excess of magical energy to any electronic device. Doing that, he's able to charge it or enhance its performance. He needs to do this carefully because if he overloads a device, it can blow up in his face, something that has happened a couple of times before.

Extras:
-Lucifer loves lab coats so much that he have a collection he takes a really good care. They all look all the same, but Lucifer says that they all have their unique traits.

-Lucifer may know about a lot of things, but when it comes to love, it's funny to see the poor guy losing his composure and blushing in embarrassment after realizing that's not a subject he knows best. So secretly, he reads magazines related to it or romance books.

-Lucifer owns a cute pure white rodent named Beast, which can communicate with words thanks to a pea-size device Lucifer created and connected to his brain. He enjoys laying on the right side of his beloved Master and accompanies him to every adventure.

Last edited:
  • Love

Greetings newperson!

In the interest of keeping things lively, I've posted for Key without Neptune this time around. Have at the swamp beasts.

In the interest of keeping things lively, I've posted for Key without Neptune this time around. Have at the swamp beasts.
I didn't even notice that you usually posted for both at once. Were you usually trying to wait until you could post for both of them? If I'd known, I would've just told you to go ahead and post for one without the other a long time ago... I mean, not for this particular instance, just, in general. I don't like seeing people put off posting for certain characters until they can post for all of them at once. Slows things down, leaves people waiting on characters and players that they aren't even interacting with, you know?

I didn't even notice that you usually posted for both at once. Were you usually trying to wait until you could post for both of them? If I'd known, I would've just told you to go ahead and post for one without the other a long time ago... I mean, not for this particular instance, just, in general. I don't like seeing people put off posting for certain characters until they can post for all of them at once. Slows things down, leaves people waiting on characters and players that they aren't even interacting with, you know?
No, I wasn't trying to wait. Before, the timing was just perfectly convenient to write both characters at once. But now, seems like it's best to have Key go first, and Neptune later.

@Shinku⭐Kun I noticed that the timeline for your character's backstory doesn't quite add up.

So, as for his human life, you mentioned things like,

During his free time, he built stuff, his first complete invention been a robot able to speak thanks to a complicated database and move fairly enough like a human being. Lucifer earned a lot of awards thanks to the robot and a few technology companies came to him, trying to buy the invention or contract him.

But, if the RP is set in the present day, and Lucifer became a Vori 185 years ago -- then that means he would've grown up in the early 1800's. And descriptions of "robots" and "databases" sound rather out-of-place in such a time period.

I would also like to know more about his life as a Vori, since most of his backstory is only his human history, which, really, is only a small fraction of his life...

But, if the RP is set in the present day, and Lucifer became a Vori 185 years ago -- then that means he would've grown up in the early 1800's. And descriptions of "robots" and "databases" sound rather out-of-place in such a time period.
I had a feeling there was something weird on it and that because I'm kind of confuse of the Vori' age thing. What age you think is proper to that timeline I made. Illuminate me, please! x'D

Also, random addendum, I legit spooked myself writing about the swamp monsters.

Now I have to go sleep with these images in my head.

Nobody ought to bear such a cross.

@Shinku⭐Kun I noticed that the timeline for your character's backstory doesn't quite add up.

So, as for his human life, you mentioned things like,

I would also like to know more about his life as a Vori, since most of his backstory is only his human history, which, really, is only a small fraction of his life...
@Shinku⭐Kun
Heh, Kaga beat me to it. Yeah, having to adjust for multiple centuries in the backstory tripped me up a few times for Luna as well. Back then, revolutions were more along the lines of "steam power" and the "cotton gin." Honestly, just creating a "mechanical thing that moves on it's own" would probably have been similarly impressive back then. You can, of course, invent the other advanced stuff later.

Anyways, speaking as the Vori ambassador, you nailed the racial aspects though, well done. No complaints there.

• Love
I had a feeling there was something weird on it and that because I'm kind of confuse of the Vori' age thing. What age you think is proper to that timeline I made. Illuminate me, please! x'D
Well, if you want Lucifer to have grown up in a relatively modern-day environment, then... you would have to say that he'd only been a Vori for a fairly short amount of time. o_o"

It's basic math; you can pull up a calculator on your computer if you want to punch in some numbers to find something that fits what you had in mind. I got the "early 1800s" figure from the fact that 2017 - 185 = 1832, so 1832 would've been the year that he became a Vori. ...Although, now I'm realizing that, if we subtract 240 from 2017, then we get 1777. Sorry, I just assumed that he was 16 when he became a Vori, rather than regaining a more youthful form after the fact. And if Lucifer was born in 1777, then... he's about the same age as the United States, to put things in perspective. o_o"

Do you understand what I'm trying to get at, now? If you want an age that makes sense then you'll have to keep in mind how long ago his human existence would've been, bearing in mind that the RP is set in the present day.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.